a11y Voice over reCaptcha v2 problem: Voice over not reading elements to the user.

Kim Dunagan

Sep 5, 2019, 5:36:13 PM9/5/19
to reCAPTCHA
Hi! I'm a software developer whose site is becoming accessibility friendly. I'm currently having a problem with reCaptcha v2 accessibility.

Problem: Voice over doesn't recognize a majority of the reCaptcha v2 elements. Well it does. Keys will manually move and select each one. However, Voice Over doesn't announce what element you're on in the reCaptcha on my site. I've included a video (< 1 min) to show you what voice over reads out.

I've tested the accessibility of reCaptcha v2 on https://www.google.com/recaptcha/api2/demo, and that's what we're hoping for. However, that's not what we're getting, and I'm very confused. It must be something to do with setup, right? But why does it still function normally (elements are selected, verifies as expected)? I've looked at the differences in the dom elements for my website's page and the google recaptcha page and I haven't been able to pinpoint anything that screams that it is the problem.

Note: reCaptcha v2 works as expected without voice over.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

problems_captcha_voiceOver.mov

Kim Dunagan

Sep 6, 2019, 2:28:14 PM9/6/19
to reCAPTCHA
There needs to be a way to amend an original post. I forgot to mention that voice over on the recaptcha works a bit differently on Chrome versus safari on mac. Chrome works like the video in the original post, but Safari works as expected unless you are going over the images for the visual challenge and then voice over doesn't announce anything.

Link to the video of Voice Over going over reCaptcha in safari.

Kim Dunagan

Sep 6, 2019, 2:28:15 PM9/6/19
to reCAPTCHA
I found 1 other site with the same problem. It is a random french site, but they have the same problem that voice over doesn't announce what element it's on despite it being fully accessibly with the keyboard.

Google drive link to the clip

Site

zubir rajput

Nov 30, 2019, 11:28:59 PM11/30/19