#63607 Craftsman motor just buzzes

Jeffrey

Jul 22, 2021, 7:31:14 PM7/22/21
#63607 motor for Craftsman RAS #113.19770 buzzes, and jerks as if trying to start turning when i turn it on power. But when I give it a spin by hand it starts and runs, and the clutch opens to disconnect the capacitor. This is after I replaced the original equipment capacitor and blew all dust out with compressed air. Is it likely to be the bearings? Or, is there a component in the starter circuit that would prevent the capacitor from even kicking it when power is turned on? All suggestions welcome!

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/63607-craftsman-motor-just-buzzes-3145553-.htm

Bill

Jul 23, 2021, 1:12:48 AM7/23/21
On 7/22/2021 7:31 PM, Jeffrey wrote:
> #63607 motor for Craftsman RAS #113.19770 buzzes, and jerks as if trying
> to start turning when i turn it on power. But when I give it a spin by
> hand it starts and runs, and the clutch opens to disconnect the
> capacitor.  This is after I replaced the original equipment capacitor
> and blew all dust out with compressed air. Is it likely to be the
> bearings?

I'm sorry I can't help myself. But I would expect to find some ideas at
the website www.vintagemachinery.org or at www.owwm.org

DerbyDad03

Jul 23, 2021, 8:53:14 AM7/23/21
On Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 7:31:14 PM UTC-4, Jeffrey wrote:
> #63607 motor for Craftsman RAS #113.19770 buzzes, and jerks as if trying to start turning when i turn it on power. But when I give it a spin by hand it starts and runs, and the clutch opens to disconnect the capacitor. This is after I replaced the original equipment capacitor and blew all dust out with compressed air. Is it likely to be the bearings? Or, is there a component in the starter circuit that would prevent the capacitor from even kicking it when power is turned on? All suggestions welcome!

I know it's a different animal, but when the arbor bearings on my 113.x
Table Saw went bad I could feel the blade jerk when turning it by hand.
However, the saw did start on its own and appeared to run fine. Try
turning the blade by hand to see how smooth it is.

Once in a very great while, it would hum and not start. A retry or a sharp
whack on the motor with a mallet would start it. It hasn't done that in more
years than I can remember.

Try blowing the dust out again. Maybe you moved something to a spot that's
causing a bad connection. It can't hurt.
Message has been deleted

Markem618

Jul 23, 2021, 4:03:52 PM7/23/21
On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 12:51:40 -0700 (PDT), Jay Pique
<JayP...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 7:31:14 PM UTC-4, Jeffrey wrote:
>> #63607 motor for Craftsman RAS #113.19770 buzzes, and jerks as if trying to start turning when i turn it on power. But when I give it a spin by hand it starts and runs, and the clutch opens to disconnect the capacitor. This is after I replaced the original equipment capacitor and blew all dust out with compressed air. Is it likely to be the bearings? Or, is there a component in the starter circuit that would prevent the capacitor from even kicking it when power is turned on? All suggestions welcome!
>
>My WAG is a bad start relay.

Emerson has no listings for replacement motors for that model.

John McGaw

Jul 23, 2021, 5:08:43 PM7/23/21
On 7/22/2021 7:31 PM, Jeffrey wrote:
> #63607 motor for Craftsman RAS #113.19770 buzzes, and jerks as if trying to
> start turning when i turn it on power. But when I give it a spin by hand it
> starts and runs, and the clutch opens to disconnect the capacitor.  This is
> after I replaced the original equipment capacitor and blew all dust out
> with compressed air. Is it likely to be the bearings? Or, is there a
> component in the starter circuit that would prevent the capacitor from even
> kicking it when power is turned on? All suggestions welcome!

Bad switch contacts? That would keep the start capacitor disconnected from
the circuit and prevent a clean start.

--
Bodger's Dictum: Artifical intelligence
can never overcome natural stupidity.

Jack

Aug 2, 2021, 10:47:17 AM8/2/21
On 7/23/2021 5:08 PM, John McGaw wrote:
> On 7/22/2021 7:31 PM, Jeffrey wrote:
>> #63607 motor for Craftsman RAS #113.19770 buzzes, and jerks as if
>> trying to start turning when i turn it on power. But when I give it a
>> spin by hand it starts and runs, and the clutch opens to disconnect
>> the capacitor.  This is after I replaced the original equipment
>> capacitor and blew all dust out with compressed air. Is it likely to
>> be the bearings? Or, is there a component in the starter circuit that
>> would prevent the capacitor from even kicking it when power is turned
>> on? All suggestions welcome!
>>

> Bad switch contacts? That would keep the start capacitor disconnected
> from the circuit and prevent a clean start.
Probably it, but my table saw motor is from the early 50's. When it did
this 45 years ago, thinking I don't know jack about electric motors, I
took it to a motor repair shop and for $100 they fixed it. Few years
later it did it again, so I took the motor apart and sawdust was
clogging the switch area. Cleaned it out and worked good as new. The
motor had/has opened vents that lets in sawdust by the pound. I put a
nylon stocking over the ports and it took 35 years for it to happen
again, and I fixed it the same way, and it still works like new.

Hopefully his motor is totally enclosed, unlike mine, and it's just the
switch. I fixed a lot of old washing machine switches just by
cleaning/tinkering with the switch. _-
Jack

bruce

Sep 8, 2023, 5:45:08 PM9/8/23
I think your clutch friction material is glazed and not transmitting rotation properly. Try lightly sanding the clutch friction material with a very fine sandpaper just to remove the glaze on the friction material (return material to near original friction coefficient). You don't need to sand much so as not to remove material. This allows the clutch to work properly again, and hopefully, not slip.

knuttle

Sep 8, 2023, 7:00:58 PM9/8/23
On 09/08/2023 5:45 PM, bruce wrote:
> I think your clutch friction material is glazed and not transmitting
> rotation properly.  Try lightly sanding the clutch friction material
> with a very fine sandpaper just to remove the glaze on the friction
> material (return material to near original friction coefficient).  You
> don't need to sand much  so as not to remove material. This allows the
> clutch to work properly again, and hopefully, not slip.

If it is a capacitor start motor, if you clean the contacts in the the
little box at the top of the motor that may correct the problem.

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model/14d7g5r30j-000247/craftsman-63607-power-tool-parts

I think the contact points are items 21 or 22 in that diagrams.

The motor on my table saw start doing that and would not turn over. I
took it to a shop. He disassembled it, showed my what the problem was
cleaned, and blew out the area and it has worked perfectly for the last
14 years