Glue For Melamine To Melamine?

DerbyDad03

Jan 16, 2019, 8:55:24 PM1/16/19
Is there a glue that will bond melamine to melamine?

Not melamine glue, like Titebond or Roo, that glues melamine to porous
materials. I'm looking to face glue 2 sheets of 3/4" melamine covered
particle board to make a 1.5" thick sheet.

If no such product exists, would sandwiching a piece of 1/8" ply between
the 2 panels and using melamine glue work? The extra 1/8" won't bother
me.

k...@notreal.com

Jan 16, 2019, 10:38:47 PM1/16/19
Sand/plane off the melamine?

-MIKE-

Jan 16, 2019, 11:10:59 PM1/16/19
You want to glue melamine to melamine?
Like, the smooth surface to the smooth surface?
I have to ask. Why?

I could understand the other way around, but what's the purpose?
I'm not trying to be a smartass.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
www.mikedrums.com

Jan 16, 2019, 11:13:25 PM1/16/19
On Wed, 16 Jan 2019 17:55:21 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
<teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

The opinions here:
https://www.woodtalkonline.com/topic/16931-how-to-face-glue-melamine-panels/
are to rough up the surface a little (150 grit sanding) and try any of
several adhesives. Contact cement is a little quick on the uptake ;-)
so you might prefer something with a little "wiggle" time.

---

DerbyDad03

Jan 16, 2019, 11:33:22 PM1/16/19
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 11:10:59 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
> On 1/16/19 7:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> > Is there a glue that will bond melamine to melamine?
> >
> > Not melamine glue, like Titebond or Roo, that glues melamine to porous
> > materials. I'm looking to face glue 2 sheets of 3/4" melamine covered
> > particle board to make a 1.5" thick sheet.
> >
> > If no such product exists, would sandwiching a piece of 1/8" ply between
> > the 2 panels and using melamine glue work? The extra 1/8" won't bother
> > me.
> >

> You want to glue melamine to melamine?
> Like, the smooth surface to the smooth surface?
> I have to ask. Why?
>
> I could understand the other way around, but what's the purpose?
> I'm not trying to be a smartass.

I figured someone would ask. ;-)

I'm making a planer sled. Yes, I have other options, but...

I was given a 2' x 8' x 3/4" piece of melamine covered particle board. Perfectly flat and stiffer than the stuff you can buy in the home centers.
I found it at one of those architectural salvage places. "Take it, it's
yours."

I ripped it to 1' wide and will screw the 2 pieces together to make a
1' x 8' x 1.5" board. That should be strong enough not to flex *especially*
if it was glued and screwed.

The method that "ads" linked to is what I had considered, but I figured I
would ask about a possible direct-use adhesive to save myself the
rough-up work. More of a curiosity than anything else.

sailo...@gmx.de

Jan 17, 2019, 9:03:07 AM1/17/19
Am Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2019 02:55:24 UTC+1 schrieb DerbyDad03:
> Is there a glue that will bond melamine to melamine?
>
>what has worked for me on my boat is a one component PU compound (Sikaflex 292i). It is a real mess to work with 'cause it sticks to everything (especially to hands and eyebrows btdt) but it bonds to basically erverything.

regards Matthias

-MIKE-

Jan 17, 2019, 10:51:45 AM1/17/19
I'm guessing any polyurethane adhesive would work.
A light sanding to roughen the surfaces a bit would help.

Leon

Jan 17, 2019, 1:25:42 PM1/17/19
The same glue that works with Melamine, laminate cement. AKA rubber cement.

Leon

Jan 17, 2019, 1:26:29 PM1/17/19
Make that Contact Cement.

DerbyDad03

Jan 17, 2019, 6:45:56 PM1/17/19
Works pretty damn good.

I'll make an simple alignment jig to ensure the top piece drops straight down onto the
bottom piece.

Thanks.

Larry Kraus

Jan 18, 2019, 3:19:38 PM1/18/19
Melamine might work for a sled, but I found that it was not very durable
when I used it as a bed extension for my planer. The thin surface wore
through after just a couple boards, and has only gotten worse.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqh1aa2k91ue4xf/2019-01-18%2015.03.57.jpg?dl=0

DerbyDad03

Jan 18, 2019, 7:06:21 PM1/18/19
I already have an extension for my planer.

It's made from SWMBO. I know it's durable because we just celebrated
35 years on Tuesday.