popsicle sticks -- how to make most efficiencly?

Leadership in Medicine, Inc.

Sep 4, 2001, 7:13:32 PM9/4/01
Hi All!
Say, you guys got any good ideas on how I can best improve the efficientcy
of my popsicle stick cutting operations?
Currently I'm using my radial arm saw (Craftsman circa 1977) cutting
opposite of the usual way. Sometimes they go flying but usually I find
they're ok once I retrive them from one end or the other of my trailer.
I'm thinking that maybe I need a tablesaw or a router to increase
production.
But with a tablesaw, it seems like I'd need a really tiny pushstick. Any
BODY got any plans???!!
And how should I rig up hold downs or should I just not bother with that
since I can usually find em once they're sent flying?
Someone at a yardsale suggested a jig saw but it seems like it would be hard
to hold the piece of wood while I cut it with the saw in the other hand.
You guys got ideas?
Who's done it the best way? I never seen it on Norm's show yet.
Is there a hand tool way that might be slower but less noisy and easier to
clean up after (the wifey, you know).
Lemme no
Sincerely,
Tom Roll

Leon

Sep 4, 2001, 7:37:11 PM9/4/01
Man...if ever there was the perfect tool for this operation, it is the
RotoZip.

RRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrzzzzzzzzzzzz..zzz.zz..zz.......went the line.....
:~)

Leon

Sep 4, 2001, 7:38:07 PM9/4/01
Actually, Dont the Doctors just reuse the old ones? May be you could get
some from them LOL

Alan K.Gideon

Sep 4, 2001, 8:20:44 PM9/4/01
to Leadership in Medicine, Inc.
I'm thinking a miniature Blanchard lathe driven by a Dremel tool.
You'll have to make sure the template is accurate, of course. You'd
hate to end up with a whole set of badly proportioned popsicle sticks.
A note to the maker: remember that grain alignment is critical in
popsicle sticks.

Alan

WarderDM

Sep 4, 2001, 8:25:59 PM9/4/01
I am making a large quantty of these for use as pales in a model fence. After
much experimentation, I found that I can prepare a board cut to length and with
the ends moulded as necessary wide enough for many pales. I then slice off the
individual pales fron the edge of the board using the slitter on my Stanley 45.
This cuts the individual pales in two passes, one from each side, and leaves a
smooth surface as the cut is a knife cut rather than a saw cut, thus saving me
much labor in the sanding.

I hold the work on a modified bench hook while cutting.

I am using pine which cuts easily with this slitter. Hardwoods might require
shallower passes, but the same idea should work. The total depth of my cuts is
0.5 in.

Dale Warder

William Brown

Sep 4, 2001, 9:31:36 PM9/4/01
Just out of curiosity, why are you going to the trouble of cutting popsicle
sticks when they are so inexpensive to buy?

Steve Andrejat

Sep 4, 2001, 10:46:34 PM9/4/01
They make great feathers for pukey ducks. DAMHIKT

Bill Pounds

Sep 4, 2001, 10:54:18 PM9/4/01
zinnngggggg, he's a runnin' on ya.

--
Bill Pounds
http://www.bill.pounds.net/woodshop

William Brown <bro...@msu.edu> wrote in message

mkek4yjltxp...@hotmail.com

Sep 4, 2001, 11:45:24 PM9/4/01
On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 19:13:32 -0400, "Leadership in Medicine, Inc."
<lea...@sover.net> wrote:

Why not just go down to your local dairy queen and order up tons of
"Dilly bars" and the heck with trying to make them yourself!!

Dave Mundt

Sep 5, 2001, 1:22:58 AM9/5/01
Greetings and Salutations...

Yea...I did something like that...but I ended up welding the
blade in place because the notch was a bit worn. That worked great,
but, I also ended up having to grind down the body of the plane and
the side guide some (ok...maybe about by a third) because it was not
quite right. I figure if I need it back, I can always weld a chunk of
angle iron back on.
If it had been a newer tool, I probably would not have done
it, but, shucks, it had been sitting around in an old toolbox I picked
up from some backwater yard sale. (only paid $5.00 for the entire
thing, too...talked them down from $10.00) Imagine that...they tried
to keep the price up by going on about how their great grandfather had
used the stuff... Haw...I knowed better..I been to yard sales before.

G.D.R.
Dave Mundt

And if you don't realize this is as much of a troll as the FIRST
posting...I hope your sense of humor gets out of the hospital soon.
Dave..

Scott

Sep 5, 2001, 9:36:08 AM9/5/01

"Leon" wrote:

> Actually, Dont the Doctors just reuse the old ones? May be you could get
> some from them LOL

That's OK for popsicle sticks, but stay away from the used rubber gloves.

Andy

Sep 5, 2001, 12:54:31 PM9/5/01
Take a pine 1x4, plane it to 1/2" thick, cut it into 3 1/2" squares,
round over the end grain top and bottom edges with a 1/2" roundover bit.
Then set your bandsaw for 3/32" and slice with the grain. Pretty good
yield per square.

How do I know this??? Don't ask.

Andy

"Leadership in Medicine, Inc." wrote:

--
http://us.geocities.com/jander7047

ssw

Sep 5, 2001, 2:00:27 PM9/5/01
I just went to the local artsyfartsycraftsy store and bought a bag of 100
for only a couple bucks...
That seemed to be easier than cutting them myself!

Leadership in Medicine, Inc. <lea...@sover.net> wrote in message

Leon

Sep 5, 2001, 2:54:16 PM9/5/01
So Tom. ;~) Which would you say is the biggest fish so far? LOL

Andy

Sep 5, 2001, 6:24:00 PM9/5/01
Me!

Leon wrote:

> So Tom. ;~) Which would you say is the biggest fish so far? LOL

--
http://us.geocities.com/jander7047

Leon

Sep 5, 2001, 6:30:19 PM9/5/01
LOL... I always look to see if it is... " Leadership in Medicine, Inc."
when the request is so ridiculous. It is always fun to try to picture these
"projects".

I see you were able to spit the hook out. ;~)

Leadership in Medicine, Inc.

Sep 5, 2001, 8:48:26 PM9/5/01
Hey...
Please don't attriboot any of my ideas/questions to those of my employer.
I just work in the (e)mail room.
Sincerely,
Tom Roll
PS: please don't send me any more emails, cause the president is getting
them too and before you know it he'll fire me for spending more time online
asking questions than sorting his mail!!!!

"Leon" <lcb1...@swbell.net> wrote in message

RKP51X

Sep 5, 2001, 8:57:58 PM9/5/01
>Say, you guys got any good ideas on how I can best improve the efficientcy
>of my popsicle stick cutting operations?

I used to make popsicle sticks too, but then I discovered they grow wild in the
woods behind my house.
Roger Poplin dba RKP...@aol.com

Gene Bruce

Sep 6, 2001, 2:14:42 PM9/6/01
On 06 Sep 2001 00:57:58 GMT, rkp...@aol.com (RKP51X) scribbled the following
wisdom:

>>Say, you guys got any good ideas on how I can best improve the efficientcy
>>of my popsicle stick cutting operations?
>
>I used to make popsicle sticks too, but then I discovered they grow wild in the
>woods behind my house.

No, No, No! Those are _poopsicles_, not popsicles, and occur only in the winter.
Your results may not be the same with these, depending on what the neighborhood
dogs have eaten.

>Roger Poplin dba RKP...@aol.com

Gene Bruce Ph/Voice Mail: (972)952-4937
Raytheon Systems Company FAX: (972)952-4275
2501 W. University, MS 8056 McKinney, Texas 75070

UNIX is a very user-friendly operating system.
However, it is very particular about just who it makes friends with.

JAMES Mankin

Sep 6, 2001, 3:25:37 PM9/6/01
id use a scroll saw don't have to move anything except the stick and has
a thin blae used allot to cut basswood

jim

R Cutler

Sep 6, 2001, 7:04:13 PM9/6/01
You guys, tch, it's obvious how to make popsicle sticks.
I've had many years of experience in a similar field,
mainly making matches. You guys know 'matches' yes? The
things you use to set-fire to joints (pot). The trick with
matches is to use '2' pairs of rubber gloves when using the
jointer. But I digress, with popsicle sticks you need a
profile laser cutter and a pantograph. This is simply
fabricated with a kids pantograph (you guys know
pantograph?) and a laser level. Keep feeding the level with
batteries until you are satisfied with the cut. I found
that 438 batteries is just about right (in a seperate box).
Admittedly I have to change lasers every 20mS or so but
that's just a minor annoyance. Popsicle sticks really need
to be of african walnut, it adds that certain something to
the taste and is readily available in 8'x 4' sheets, 0.05"
thick and in copious quantities from NYW. Also, if you
weave them into 10"x10" squares they make lovely placemats,
no need for couple brads.
As for toothpicks sheeeesh, aint they the absolute bastard?
I tried using a lathe but hit real problems when winding in
the tailstock. I asked a colleague, and he reckoned that he
used 0.05" dowel (again from NYW). In any event, I gave up
on toothpicks and have now reverted to making pencils. Any
of you guys tried turning lead? Now THAT is a challenge.
Ray ;D

Y'know what they say - with time, patience, perseverance
and a pot of vaseline, it's possible to seduce a spider.

--
Posted from mailer3.bham.ac.uk [147.188.128.54]