New Fangled Stuff

Markem618

Jul 28, 2022, 3:16:41 PM7/28/22
So we had the HVAC system replaced, it is a Carrier Infinity system
wit a Heat pump and gas furnace. Trying to figure out controller is a
bit frustrating at this point (yeah less than 24 hours in). I want to
have it change temp for bed time and waking up, oh well time to slog
through the manual (have been RTFM!).

Okay back to your usually stuff thanks for reading.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Jul 28, 2022, 3:32:53 PM7/28/22
On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 14:16:33 -0500, Markem618 <mark...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
My programmable thermostat is set to "Manual" all-year-long -
: 67 all winter long 24 x 7 < 69 if we have company over >
: 50 all summer long < we don't have central AC >

* * Public Service Reminder * *
Remember to check/change the batteries in the thermostat -
before they corrode & leak and cost you $ 100. for a whole
new thermostat ! .. experience talking .. :-(
They do last quite a few years, but ..
John T.

k...@notreal.com

Jul 28, 2022, 8:32:07 PM7/28/22
On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 15:33:11 -0400, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 14:16:33 -0500, Markem618 <mark...@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>So we had the HVAC system replaced, it is a Carrier Infinity system
>>wit a Heat pump and gas furnace. Trying to figure out controller is a
>>bit frustrating at this point (yeah less than 24 hours in). I want to
>>have it change temp for bed time and waking up, oh well time to slog
>>through the manual (have been RTFM!).
>>
>>Okay back to your usually stuff thanks for reading.

We have two Nest thermostats (one for each heat pump). We don't set
back the temperature much (only a couple of degrees) because the heat
pumps are so slow to recover. If it's cold, they don't. The pump isn't
working at all and the resistive (aux) heat isn't so great.

> My programmable thermostat is set to "Manual" all-year-long -
> : 67 all winter long 24 x 7 < 69 if we have company over >
> : 50 all summer long < we don't have central AC >
>
>* * Public Service Reminder * *
>Remember to check/change the batteries in the thermostat -
>before they corrode & leak and cost you $ 100. for a whole
>new thermostat ! .. experience talking .. :-(
> They do last quite a few years, but ..
> John T.

If they're AA or AAA batteries, use the Everyready Lithiums. They
don't have the same leakage problem that Alkalines do (and they're a
lot better these days). The lithiums are great for emergency
flashlights that rarely get used. They have an excellent shelf life
and don't leak.

Markem618

Jul 31, 2022, 9:44:05 PM7/31/22
On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 20:32:00 -0400, k...@notreal.com wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 15:33:11 -0400, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 14:16:33 -0500, Markem618 <mark...@hotmail.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>So we had the HVAC system replaced, it is a Carrier Infinity system
>>>wit a Heat pump and gas furnace. Trying to figure out controller is a
>>>bit frustrating at this point (yeah less than 24 hours in). I want to
>>>have it change temp for bed time and waking up, oh well time to slog
>>>through the manual (have been RTFM!).
>>>
>>>Okay back to your usually stuff thanks for reading.
>
>We have two Nest thermostats (one for each heat pump). We don't set
>back the temperature much (only a couple of degrees) because the heat
>pumps are so slow to recover. If it's cold, they don't. The pump isn't
>working at all and the resistive (aux) heat isn't so great.

Just one heat pump, the natural gas furnace was way better than having
a 30 amp 240 line pull from an already full fuse box. Pretty sure it
beat any resistive heat. But gas was already in place. Went with high
end setup, the change from a system that just go on at full blast to
the variable one is wonderful both outside and in the noise reduction
alone is great, but the comfort level with ac grand.

After cussing out thing engineering and graphic team that designed the
thermostat finally figure out how to do what I wanted.

>> My programmable thermostat is set to "Manual" all-year-long -
>> : 67 all winter long 24 x 7 < 69 if we have company over >
>> : 50 all summer long < we don't have central AC >
>>
>>* * Public Service Reminder * *
>>Remember to check/change the batteries in the thermostat -
>>before they corrode & leak and cost you $ 100. for a whole
>>new thermostat ! .. experience talking .. :-(
>> They do last quite a few years, but ..
>> John T.
>>
>If they're AA or AAA batteries, use the Everyready Lithiums. They
>don't have the same leakage problem that Alkalines do (and they're a
>lot better these days). The lithiums are great for emergency
>flashlights that rarely get used. They have an excellent shelf life
>and don't leak.

Change batteries on the spring and fall equinox, lithium only here.

k...@notreal.com

Jul 31, 2022, 10:05:42 PM7/31/22
On Sun, 31 Jul 2022 20:43:57 -0500, Markem618 <mark...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 20:32:00 -0400, k...@notreal.com wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 28 Jul 2022 15:33:11 -0400, hub...@ccanoemail.com wrote:

>>We have two Nest thermostats (one for each heat pump). We don't set
>>back the temperature much (only a couple of degrees) because the heat
>>pumps are so slow to recover. If it's cold, they don't. The pump isn't
>>working at all and the resistive (aux) heat isn't so great.
>>>
>Just one heat pump, the natural gas furnace was way better than having
>a 30 amp 240 line pull from an already full fuse box. Pretty sure it
>beat any resistive heat. But gas was already in place. Went with high
>end setup, the change from a system that just go on at full blast to
>the variable one is wonderful both outside and in the noise reduction
>alone is great, but the comfort level with ac grand.

We don't have gas available. Electricity is relatively cheap so there
isn't a big incentive to run gas all over. We have two 150A panels and
there is plenty of space in them. I've used 11 breaker slots (2x240,
7x120) for the basement. I have about 1/3 left but I'll probably only
need one more circuit for that.

We had to replace the downstairs unit a couple of years ago. We did
the same as you. We went with a higher-end (not the top-of-the-line)
Trane, with a two-speed fan. The top end had a better SER but the
incremental price was ridiculous. I went with a fiberglass inside
unit to eliminate any rust problem.

>After cussing out thing engineering and graphic team that designed the
>thermostat finally figure out how to do what I wanted.

I had to call their tech support when I initially installed them here.
I had no problem in our previous home but this one had a bunch of
extra wires and didn't match anything in their directions.

>>> My programmable thermostat is set to "Manual" all-year-long -
>>> : 67 all winter long 24 x 7 < 69 if we have company over >
>>> : 50 all summer long < we don't have central AC >
>>>
>>>* * Public Service Reminder * *
>>>Remember to check/change the batteries in the thermostat -
>>>before they corrode & leak and cost you $ 100. for a whole
>>>new thermostat ! .. experience talking .. :-(
>>> They do last quite a few years, but ..
>>> John T.
>>>
>>If they're AA or AAA batteries, use the Everyready Lithiums. They
>>don't have the same leakage problem that Alkalines do (and they're a
>>lot better these days). The lithiums are great for emergency
>>flashlights that rarely get used. They have an excellent shelf life
>>and don't leak.
>
>Change batteries on the spring and fall equinox, lithium only here.

I don't change lithiums until they're dead. I've replaced so few it
doesn't really matter. Most of my "emergency" lights for blackouts are
rechargeable. Small flashlights are scattered around to find the
larger lights. ;-)

I use nothing but lithiums in tools that use AA or AAA batteries.
Tools are too expensive to trust alkalines.