X5 replacement motor?

Giacomo

Jun 29, 2021, 4:45:05 PM6/29/21
Having trouble finding a motor for my x5. It came with a 3 hp . The ones I’ve found on eBay from lesson seem to have the slotted adjustment on wrong side. Mounted in saw the slot is on left side from rear of motor they all seem to be on right. It’s a left tilt arbor. Is it just the way I’m looking at it wrong?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/x5-replacement-motor-3139907-.htm

J. Clarke

Jun 29, 2021, 6:16:20 PM6/29/21
On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 20:45:02 +0000, Giacomo
<796be59f97490a28...@example.com> wrote:

>Having trouble finding a motor for my x5. It came with a 3 hp . The ones I’ve found on eBay from lesson seem to have the slotted adjustment on wrong side. Mounted in saw the slot is on left side from rear of motor they all seem to be on right. It’s a left tilt arbor. Is it just the way I’m looking at it wrong?

I thought the only surviving X5 was at the Air Force Museum. Oh, you
didn't mean _that_ X5? Well what kind of X5 _did_ you mean?

Markem618

Jun 29, 2021, 7:25:45 PM6/29/21
Gee I extrapolated a Delta Unisaw Left tilt X5.

google gives a great deal of options to choose from.

Leon

Jun 29, 2021, 7:43:47 PM6/29/21
Exactly!

Joe Gwinn

Jun 29, 2021, 9:04:33 PM6/29/21
On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 20:45:02 +0000, Giacomo
<796be59f97490a28...@example.com> wrote:

>Having trouble finding a motor for my x5. It came with a 3 hp . The ones I’ve found on eBay from lesson seem to have the slotted adjustment on wrong side. Mounted in saw the slot is on left side from rear of motor they all seem to be on right. It’s a left tilt arbor. Is it just the way I’m looking at it wrong?

The usual dodge is to electrically reverse the motor, if the motor is
designed to allow that. If so, the data plate will usually say how.

Joe Gwinn

k...@notreal.com

Jun 29, 2021, 9:49:36 PM6/29/21
On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 18:25:37 -0500, Markem618 <mark...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 18:16:15 -0400, J. Clarke
><jclarke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 20:45:02 +0000, Giacomo
>><796be59f97490a28...@example.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Having trouble finding a motor for my x5. It came with a 3 hp . The ones I’ve found on eBay from lesson seem to have the slotted adjustment on wrong side. Mounted in saw the slot is on left side from rear of motor they all seem to be on right. It’s a left tilt arbor. Is it just the way I’m looking at it wrong?
>>
>>I thought the only surviving X5 was at the Air Force Museum. Oh, you
>>didn't mean _that_ X5? Well what kind of X5 _did_ you mean?
>
>Gee I extrapolated a Delta Unisaw Left tilt X5.

Wouldn't that be "L51X" or "36-L51X". Mine is a 36-L31X.

Delta parts are impossible to get. I had real trouble even finding
blade wrenches. The inner is skinny (and very soft steel). I'm hoping
mine lasts forever.

Markem618

Jun 29, 2021, 9:57:05 PM6/29/21
My inner one is a bit of bandsaw blade, my dad made it from the blades
they used to cut tractors and ag machines in half at the International
Harvester R&D which became J I Case.

k...@notreal.com

Jun 30, 2021, 10:11:20 PM6/30/21
On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 20:56:57 -0500, Markem618 <mark...@hotmail.com>
That's a hell of a bandsaw!

Markem618

Jun 30, 2021, 11:02:08 PM6/30/21
Three stories wheel height, cutting a prototype tractor in half for
dealer displays when I saw it in action.

k...@notreal.com

Jun 30, 2021, 11:25:39 PM6/30/21
On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 22:02:00 -0500, Markem618 <mark...@hotmail.com>
I was thinking sawmill but that's big!

Leon

Jul 1, 2021, 11:23:03 AM7/1/21
Yes! You never know when you might need to cut a tractor in half.
Can't count the times I was out in the field, broke down, and needed to
cut the tractor in half. ;~)

Markem618

Jul 1, 2021, 11:42:12 AM7/1/21
Yep you can not count to zero, prototypes JI Case could not sell, so
lets make cut aways for the dealers.

DerbyDad03

Jul 1, 2021, 12:21:55 PM7/1/21
Richard Trethewey, the plumber on This Old House, was the King Of Cutaways.
Quote: "I am the great bisector."

To explain how some parts work, he had cutaways of cutaways.

There's even a website dedicated to his favorite cutaways:

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/plumbing/21019410/richard-trethewey-s-cutaways

Leon

Jul 1, 2021, 4:27:49 PM7/1/21
Most auto manufacturers have cutaways of their engines at auto shows

k...@notreal.com

Jul 1, 2021, 9:03:28 PM7/1/21
Smithsonian Air and Space has a lot of cutaways of various engines,
from WW-I to the Space Shuttle. The Air force Museum in Dayton has
some really amazing cutaways of the B36's 28cyl radial engines.