Motor stalled and won’t start

Ruth

Aug 31, 2022, 10:45:08 PM8/31/22
I have an old Craftsman 10 inch electronic radial saw. The model number is 113.197250. It is about 40 years old. When I turned it on it started but then it got caught in the kerf and stalled. The Instruction book says to hit the red reset button on top of the motor. I cannot find a reset button. What shall I do?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/motor-stalled-and-won-t-start-3232995-.htm

Bill

Sep 1, 2022, 1:21:50 AM9/1/22
On 8/31/2022 10:45 PM, Ruth wrote:
> I have an old Craftsman 10 inch electronic radial saw. The model number
> is 113.197250. It is about 40 years old. When I turned it on it started
> but then it got caught in the kerf  and stalled. The Instruction book
> says to hit the red reset button on top of the motor. I cannot find a
> reset button. What shall I do?

I am not an expert (but I am pretty sure there are experts at
vintagemachinery.org) Personally, my first reaction would be to look for
a fuse. I would use my voltmeter to check the switches, and what not,
and I would probably just replace the capacitor (there are various ways
to test it, but since you are asking for advise here, it's probably
makes more sense to just replace it). Remember that capacitors can be
"hot", even with the power turned off (read up on a couple of ways to
deal with that). Good luck getting it running again!

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Sep 1, 2022, 5:09:36 AM9/1/22
On Thu, 01 Sep 2022 02:45:03 +0000, Ruth
<1e46773fd804c00b...@example.com> wrote:

>I have an old Craftsman 10 inch electronic radial saw. The model number is 113.197250.
>It is about 40 years old. When I turned it on it started but then it got caught in the kerf and stalled.
>The Instruction book says to hit the red reset button on top of the motor.
> I cannot find a reset button. What shall I do?

This sketch shows item # 7 as a " protector " and it seems to be
located in a recess at the back top of the motor ... perhaps
a flexy-push rubber dust cap over top of the button ?

https://www.searspartsdirect.com/model/3062ovr0ep-000247/craftsman-113197250-radial-arm-saw-parts

John T.

k...@notreal.com

Sep 1, 2022, 10:33:41 AM9/1/22
On Thu, 01 Sep 2022 02:45:03 +0000, Ruth
<1e46773fd804c00b...@example.com> wrote:

>I have an old Craftsman 10 inch electronic radial saw. The model number is 113.197250. It is about 40 years old. When I turned it on it started but then it got caught in the kerf and stalled. The Instruction book says to hit the red reset button on top of the motor. I cannot find a reset button. What shall I do?

I don't see a reset button at all. Perhaps there is something in the
motor itself but it doesn't look like my old one, which did have the
reset button.

<https://www.manualslib.com/manual/497496/Craftsman-113-197250.html?page=86#manual>

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Sep 1, 2022, 11:49:27 AM9/1/22
Pages 81 - 82 Motor Troubleshooting makes no mention
of a reset button - so there probably isn't one on your model.
John T.

Leon

Sep 1, 2022, 12:39:42 PM9/1/22
On 8/31/2022 9:45 PM, Ruth wrote:
> I have an old Craftsman 10 inch electronic radial saw. The model number
> is 113.197250. It is about 40 years old. When I turned it on it started
> but then it got caught in the kerf  and stalled. The Instruction book
> says to hit the red reset button on top of the motor. I cannot find a
> reset button. What shall I do?

In that case check your breaker of GFI.

knuttle

Sep 1, 2022, 1:43:06 PM9/1/22
Just a guess, but if you unplug it and wait for 10 seconds, plug it in
and turn it on it may function as a reset, and start .

There is one other thing you can do when the saw is unplugged, and that
is check if everything rotates freely.

On some of the old Sears saw were here was a switch that was part of he
starting system for the motor. If debris gets into the switch the motor
will not start. FIRST UNPLUG THE MOTOR. On mine there is a cover on
the end of the motor. Remove the cover, and carefully clean the area,
making sure there rare no wood chips in the contacts.

Part of my routine end of project routine is to vacuum out all of the
ports in the motor, to remove any debris that got into the motor during
the project.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Sep 1, 2022, 1:53:35 PM9/1/22
On my old Craftsman RAS, when the centrifugal capacitor start
switch was stuck - the saw would grunt & make a bad noise as
it tried - but failed - to start rotating.
If I'm reading this OP's post correctly - he has a dead motor <?>
John T.

knuttle

Sep 1, 2022, 3:17:26 PM9/1/22
While it is intimidating to start tearing into an electric motor as I
described above it is quite simple to clean out.

If it dead as hubops said, what is more economical 15 minutes removing
the cover and cleaning the switch to make the repair or $200 for a new
motor.

knuttle

Sep 1, 2022, 3:18:19 PM9/1/22
On 9/1/2022 1:43 PM, knuttle wrote:
While it is intimidating to start tearing into an electric motor as I
described above it is quite simple to clean out. If you have an air
pressure source you may also try to blow the area clean.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Sep 1, 2022, 3:46:12 PM9/1/22

>If it dead as hubops said, what is more economical 15 minutes removing
>the cover and cleaning the switch to make the repair or $200 for a new
>motor.

Dead - as in needing a reset / refuse in the electrical supply.
.... not dead as in totally burnt out and needing replacement.
John T.

Markem618

Sep 1, 2022, 6:15:32 PM9/1/22
Do not know if Emerson has stock of that model left, but that is
likely to be the only source that would have a direct replacement.

Ten years back I replace the motor on the Craftsman RAS, cost was
about $80 plus shipping. Inflation has probably increased that a tad.

DerbyDad03

Sep 1, 2022, 7:03:14 PM9/1/22
On Wednesday, August 31, 2022 at 10:45:08 PM UTC-4, Ruth wrote:
> I have an old Craftsman 10 inch electronic radial saw. The model number is 113.197250. It is about 40 years old. When I turned it on it started but then it got caught in the kerf and stalled. The Instruction book says to hit the red reset button on top of the motor. I cannot find a reset button. What shall I do?

Before anyone jumps all over me, I know that Ruth is talking about a RAS. In any case
here's some free and easy advice that certainly can't hurt...

Try whacking the motor with a rubber mallet or a 2 x 4. Dust, other debris or a dead spot
have been known to cause 70's vintage Craftsman table saw motors to act like they're
dead. DAMHIKT

I've probably done it 2 or 3 times in the 40-ish years I've had my TS. 1 or 2 whacks
and she starts right up.

k...@notreal.com

Sep 1, 2022, 7:43:06 PM9/1/22
On Thu, 01 Sep 2022 17:15:25 -0500, Markem618 <mark...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
For $50 you can buy an entire saw, and a big kiss from the seller's
wife.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Sep 1, 2022, 7:53:04 PM9/1/22

>>Ten years back I replace the motor on the Craftsman RAS, cost was
>>about $80 plus shipping. Inflation has probably increased that a tad.
>
>For $50 you can buy an entire saw, and a big kiss from the seller's
>wife.

I got $ 300. for mine a few years ago .. but I had to throw in
a table saw, band saw, and a big old disk/drum sander
to sweeten the deal. ;-)
John T.

Markem618

Sep 1, 2022, 10:40:13 PM9/1/22
Best thing it is very cost effective.

Scott Lurndal

Sep 2, 2022, 9:36:55 AM9/2/22
Last time I stopped by the Habitat Re store, they had two craftsman
RAS in stock, for well less than a c-note.

Picked up a bunch of handy boxes and octagon boxes for a couple of bucks.

Leon

Sep 2, 2022, 10:23:07 AM9/2/22
That is ABUSE!!! AND should be reported to the tool authorities. ;~)

DerbyDad03

Sep 2, 2022, 9:38:33 PM9/2/22
I raised my table saw the same way I raised my kids and they all turned out fine.

Leon

Sep 3, 2022, 12:48:40 PM9/3/22
I know right!!! I am afraid all of the inexperienced people causing a
shift to what was wrong is now right and visa versa will have to live
with their decisions after we are long gone.

k...@notreal.com

Sep 3, 2022, 2:59:32 PM9/3/22
You whacked your kids with a rubber mallet? No wonder they won the
Soapbox Derby. "Lose and it's forty whacks for you!"

k...@notreal.com

Sep 3, 2022, 3:01:59 PM9/3/22
I'm afraid we'll have to live with their decisions before we're gone.
If they want Communism, give me ten or twenty years to get out of the
way.

DerbyDad03

Sep 4, 2022, 12:13:23 AM9/4/22
A rubber mallet? No way. I don’t abuse my tools.

Please see option 2 for getting the motor (or kids) started.