searching for magazine article

Sep 18, 2022, 12:25:49 PM9/18/22
Can someone provide a copy of the dino playset in Woodworkers Journal
Sept/Oct 1994 ogs 48-51?
I'd really appreciate it!
Thanks!

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Sep 18, 2022, 12:43:57 PM9/18/22
Just from a quick google search - here's what it looks like :

https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/woodworkers-journal-septemberoctober-1994/

Not sure if anything is available through this web site .. ?
John T.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Sep 18, 2022, 12:51:08 PM9/18/22
Here's another link - maybe you could contact this guy
directly ?

https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/424225

John T.

Leon

Sep 18, 2022, 2:39:51 PM9/18/22
Check with an on line library.

Spencer Bloom

Sep 18, 2022, 8:33:40 PM9/18/22
I have a decent collection of dino related patterns, toys, a clock, and more. How do you want me to share?
I am best reached at bloomdd at sbcglobal dot n**

knuttle

Sep 19, 2022, 8:01:05 AM9/19/22
It looks like they are available at
https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/category/magazine-back-issue-archive/page/17/

As a premium content. I did not investigate the price of Premium Content

Just Wondering

Sep 19, 2022, 2:15:43 PM9/19/22
Get access to Usenet. Yes, it still exists.
Access alt.binaries.e-book.magazines.
Search headers for "wood" or "woodworker" (or whatever you want).

You can locate/download lots of woodworker magazines including the one
you're looking for. There's usually in pdf format. I didn't check
them all but it has Woodworker's Journal going back at least to the
1970's. Also American Woodworker, American Woodturner, Wood, The
Woodworker and Woodturner, Aust Woodworker, Popular Woodworking,
ShopNotes, Woodsmith, & Workbench.

It took me less than five minutes to find and download Woodworker's
Journal September-October 1994. It's a 22MB file, too big for me
to upload. It has the article "Dino Habitat" including templates.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Sep 19, 2022, 3:03:53 PM9/19/22
Yikes almost 54 million headers ...
.. lets see how long it takes ..
John T.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Sep 19, 2022, 6:04:36 PM9/19/22
On Mon, 19 Sep 2022 12:15:37 -0600, Just Wondering <J...@jw.com> wrote:

Thanks for the tip on that group.
What newsreader do you use ? that searches the headers ?
I tried downloading the nearly 54 million headers but it was
taking too long - after about 90 minutes I think I had about
half of them. And sorting that many in Forte Agent was a bit
slow .. I did see some Woodworkers Journal but they were
from 2013 - 2016 ish ; nothing back to 1994.
John T.

Just Wondering

Sep 20, 2022, 12:04:58 AM9/20/22
This is long but it provides all the basic information anyone should
need to use Usenet binary newsgroups.

I use XNews,
https://xnews.en.softonic.com/
https://ccm.net/downloads/communication/5083-xnews/
There other readers, you need one that will browse binary newsgroups,
not all of them do.

It's pretty basic. It may be old, but it works fine for me on my 64 bit
Windows 10 system.
Getting started (for people unfamiliar with usenet):
1. Subscribe to a usenet server. I use Usennet News,
https://www.usenet-news.net/ because it has binary
newsgroups and long retention times. But use your
favorite one. It will need to provide access to binary
newsgroups, and the longer the retention time the better.

2. Download a news reader. Again, I use XNews but there
are others.

3. Configure your news reader to access your usenet server.

4. Use your news reader to download the entire newsgroup list.
There will be over 100,000 newsgroups but most of them are
empty or "dead".

4(a) I delete all of the groups with fewer than a few
thousand messages, and all the other newsgroups I know I
will never want to see. That reduces my newsgroup list
from over 100,000 to under 200. Your mileage will vary.

5. Subscribe to the newsgroups you want to use regularly.
For me, that's a manageable 60 or so, mostly music and ebooks.
(alt.binaries.sounds.mpe.whatever and alt.binaries.ebooks.whatever)

The following is for XNews readers, to download a binary file,
other readers may work differently.
6. Double-click on the newgroup you want to work with.
7. From top menu click Group>Refresh Headers Special. This brings
up a menu box. There are two slides to select how many messages
you want to download.
I don't download all the headers on any newsgroup with more than
about 3.5 headers. XNews give me an Out of Memory error if I try.
8. If I want to search for a particular message without marking
anything as read, which is how I found the Woodworker's Journal,
8(a) Select the action "Retrieve and Include Read Articles"
8(b) Choose "Select Filter", this opens another popup window.
8(c) Type your search term in Subject>Matches box, click
"Apply Filter." This closes that popup.
8(d) Set the Header Retrieval sliders to include all headers,
then click "Okay". If there are a whole bunch of headers, this
may take awhile.
9. You can visually search the resulting header list, or if it's
very long, select Filter>Custom Filter, type in a search term
and Apply Filter.
10. Look for the subject header you want, single click to select it,
click Article>Decode and click Decode button. The file will
then download to the default "Download" location you have set
in Windows. (You can download it elsewhere if you want).

Once you're set up, this is easier than it sounds. I did steps 6-8 to
find the WoodWorker's Journal article in less than half a minute. It
took the program about two minutes to download enough headers with
"Woodworker" in the subject to find the one wanted, another half
a minute for step 9, and another five seconds for step 10.

Just Wondering

Sep 20, 2022, 12:15:25 AM9/20/22
> alt.binaries.mp3.whatever
> The following is for XNews readers, to download a binary file,
> other readers may work differently.
> 6.  Double-click on the newgroup you want to work with.
> 7.  From top menu click Group>Refresh Headers Special.  This brings
>     up a menu box.  There are two slides to select how many messages
>     you want to download.
>     I don't download all the headers on any newsgroup with more than
>     about 3.5 headers. XNews give me an Out of Memory error if I try.
sorry, that's about 3.5 million headers.
> 8.  If I want to search for a particular message without marking
>     anything as read, which is how I found the Woodworker's Journal,
>      8(a) Select the action "Retrieve and Include Read Articles"
>      8(b) Choose "Select Filter", this opens another popup window.
>      8(c) Type your search term in Subject>Matches box, click
>      "Apply Filter."  This closes that popup.
>      8(d) Set the Header Retrieval sliders to include all headers,
>      then click "Okay".  If there are a whole bunch of headers, this
>      may take awhile.
> 9.   You can visually search the resulting header list, or if it's
>      very long, select Filter>Custom Filter, type in a search term
>      and Apply Filter.
> 10.  Look for the subject header you want, single click to select it,
>      click Article>Decode and click Decode button.  The file will
>      then download to the default "Download" location you have set
>      in Windows.  (You can download it elsewhere if you want).
>
> Once you're set up, this is easier than it sounds.  I did steps 6-8 to
> find the WoodWorker's Journal article in less than half a minute.  It
> took the program about two minutes to download enough headers with
> "Woodworker" in the subject to find the one wanted, another half
> a minute for step 9, and another five seconds for step 10.

If you're looking for headers using "wood" or "Woodwork" you'll only
download a couple of thousand headers, not millions.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Sep 20, 2022, 12:39:40 AM9/20/22
I thought that I would need to have the headers
before I could search / filter the headers < ? >
John T.

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Sep 20, 2022, 12:43:30 AM9/20/22
Thanks for the tutorial.
I always thought that Forte Agent was
the cats ass but I might need to re-think
and try X-news ..
John T.

Just Wondering

Sep 20, 2022, 1:21:02 AM9/20/22
You're welcome.
Usenet has largely been made obsolete by specialized websites and
by social media. But I find it still shines for finding binary
book, magazine, and music files.

10x

Sep 20, 2022, 8:54:16 AM9/20/22
On Sep 18, 2022, s wrote
(in article <XnsAF167...@185.151.13.165>):
This particular issue is now posted in:

alt.binaries.e-book.magazines

Joe

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Sep 20, 2022, 10:14:15 AM9/20/22
On Mon, 19 Sep 2022 23:20:57 -0600, Just Wondering <J...@jw.com> wrote:

>> Thanks for the tutorial.
>> I always thought that Forte Agent was
>> the cats ass but I might need to re-think
>> and try X-news ..
>> John T.
>>
>You're welcome.
>Usenet has largely been made obsolete by specialized websites and
>by social media. But I find it still shines for finding binary
>book, magazine, and music files.

Who knew ! Thanks again for the heads-up.
I discovered usenet ~ the early 1990s soon after buying
my first home computer < Tandy with 386 processor >
but slow dial-up connections for the next 10+ years
restricted / limited my use of the binary groups ..
.. then the ISPs began to drop binary groups ; then they
dropped usenet completely .. then I started to get
better faster connection options .. now on fiber :-) ..
I broke down and actually _paid_ for usenet about 5 years ago
- that $ 15. Astraweb block of bandwidth is still going !
John T.

Spencer Bloom

Sep 21, 2022, 2:26:18 AM9/21/22
Oops... in the interest of not inserting my email address, I misspelled it. This is correct:
bloomdds at sbcglobal dot ne*

Scott Lurndal

Sep 21, 2022, 9:56:57 AM9/21/22
Do be aware that you've provided sufficient information that
a google search quickly returns your (five-star!) business address and phone number.

Be careful sharing copyrighted data; my former DDS spent time behind bars for
insider trading (using information from a patient).

hub...@ccanoemail.com

Sep 21, 2022, 10:43:40 AM9/21/22

>Do be aware
>a google search quickly returns your info.

... just down the street from Hef's place ? :-)
John T.

k...@notreal.com

Sep 21, 2022, 10:46:51 AM9/21/22
On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 13:56:52 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
wrote:
How so? Was he an employee of the assignee?

Scott Lurndal

Sep 21, 2022, 10:50:49 AM9/21/22
One of his patients gave him inside (non-public) information and he subsequently used
that information to make a trade. That's illegal, doesn't matter who worked
for whom.

Spencer Bloom

Sep 24, 2022, 2:14:42 AM9/24/22
On Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 8:56:57 AM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
> Spencer Bloom <writes:
Oops! I thought that posting an email in standard format could be picked up by bots.
I thought I fooled the bots that way, but I wasn't trying to fool you guys. Can't I trust you guys?
If I had the requested article, which I do not, how would I get it to him without seeing his email address?

Anybody have any insider information they want to post? ;)

Jack

Sep 27, 2022, 10:54:30 AM9/27/22
If you get insider info, give it to your spouse à la Nancy Pelosi, the
chief congressional crook. Then claim you have no clue what your spouse
invests in.

--
Jack