New Woodpecker Exact 90 Miter Gauge - do you believe it?

Bob D

Jun 18, 2021, 1:43:03 PM6/18/21
Woodpecker has announced a new product called Exact-90 Miter Guage. Its claims to fame include dead square 90 degree cuts, 45" fence range, and 24" stock width handling on a 10" table saw.

The latter two claims are the most attractive - if they actually work. My existing incra miter guage works just fine for repeatability and accuracy. It seems to me that a good large crosscut sled would be the best answer for handling greater capacity, but the Woodpecker product is interesting. It is not available until late December 2021, so we have plenty of time to debate the topic.

I sent a note to Woodpecker, asking for photographs or videos that demonstrate the capabilities. It is odd that they made these claims but did not document them.

Bob

k...@notreal.com

Jun 18, 2021, 6:11:13 PM6/18/21
Not to worry. They'll do a "Deep Dive" on it soon and you'll find out
why you can't live without it.

My personal favorite is their dowel press.

That said, I do have more than my share of red tools. Expensive but
many are well thought out and very good. Many are just expensive.

Leon

Jun 22, 2021, 5:43:36 PM6/22/21
I'll be ordering mine soon! And 1 day after I receive mine they will
come out with the multi angle miter gauge... ;~)

Strangely, when I bought my Incra it was to replace the Kreg. The Kreg
was purchased simply to give me a dead on 90 degree cut. I have 2 Dubby
sleds for angles.

The Kreg indexing pin seized in the aluminum with a temperature change
and it did not fare well with me insisting that the brass pin come out.

Soooooo the only fault with the Woodpeckers 90 miter gauge is that when
the fence is extended out past the front of the saw the fence can tilt.
This is a problem with all miter gauges
that are not sleds.

But I am thinking that I can mount an adjustable foot that will set on
top of the work to keep the fence from rotating when not supported by
the table.

Leon

Jun 23, 2021, 7:43:30 PM6/23/21
On 6/18/2021 12:43 PM, Bob D wrote:
I asked Woodpeckers some questions about the Exact 90 miter gauge a few
days ago and 5 more today.

Initially I asked if the micro adjust on the flip stop had detents to
hold a tweaked setting. It does not. I thought that might be an issue
until I realized that this miter gauge does not index like the Incra
miter gauge. While the 1/32" indexing blocks offer repeatability, that
is true only if you don't have to adjust for increments less than 1/32".
While that seems a bit anal, I very often have to get close and adjust
if I am fitting a piece into place. So I have no issue with the
adjustable flip stop not having detents.

I also asked what if the miter bar is steel or aluminum. It is steel.
Kreg uses aluminum, or used to use aluminum and I was not impressed.

I am waiting for the answers to the other 5 questions and will report
those when I get them..

Leon

Jun 24, 2021, 9:25:53 AM6/24/21
On 6/23/2021 6:43 PM, Leon wrote:

Snip

Ok, got my answers, just below are my questions.

Message

More questions about the Exact 90 Miter Gauge. I'm intrigued, but. I
currently use an Incra miter gauge with a telescoping fence that is
about 1" short of the capacity of the Exact 90. I never worry about
locking it to any angle, it is dead-on accurate. I don't want to add
another miter gauge that might collect dust. I have a few more questions
before I place my order. 1. The measurements on the main fence appear to
be etched into the surface. However, the rule on the telescoping
extension appears to be added on. Are the extension rule markings
printed or etched? I can appreciate fixed rule markings that cannot
accidentally slide out of place as the ones on the Incra sometimes do.
But I do not want the markings to wear off either. 2.I also use a
sacrificial fence on my Incra strictly to help prevent tear-out on the
backside of the cut. However, your sacrificial fence, as well as the
fence itself, have a groove near the bottom that allow for the the
protrusion on the back of the flip stop to go into. I know what that
protrusion is for. My concern is if the groove on the fence might not
support the back side of the cut and possibly allow tear out in that
spot. I know that this is being anal but the design of your miter gauge
borders on being anal. ;~) 3. My current miter gauge also has the
washer/plate that fits in the "T" slot of the miter slot on the table
saw. I normally set the gauge onto the table saw top past the back edge
and pull the washer back into the miter slot. Basically, I do not slide
the miter gauge into the slot from the front of the table saw. With
your miter gauge bar and its "leaf spring" style adjusters will I have
to change how I place the miter gauge into the slot? Will the leaf
springs prevent me from dropping the bar into the slot vs. sliding it
into the slot from the front or back edge of the table top? 4. Warranty?
5. Return policy should I not find the miter gauge not up to my
expectations?

Here are the answers.

Hello Leon
Question1: All of the scale markings in the fence and extension are
Laser etched.
Question2: The groove is very shallow and should not cause a tearout.
Question3: The Fence comes with 2 T Washers that can be removed toward
the leading end of the miter bar. You could still use your technique if
desired with the T Washers installed. Without those washers, you can
drop the bar into your miter slot. The leaf springs will compress.
4 and 5

The tool has a life time warranty.

Returns for a full refund are honored within 30 days of purchase.
Merchandise must be in original packaging as well as any additional
packaging necessary to protect from shipping damage. All shipping costs
are the responsibility of customer. No returns on videos, books or
cutting tools. Returns after 30 days but less than 90 days will incur a
15% restocking charge. No returns after 90 days.

Leon

Jun 26, 2021, 10:48:44 AM6/26/21
The Deep Dive is now available but oddly no mention of the incremental
adjustment of the flip stop.

Calibration of the fence scale to the blade looks ultra simple.

k...@notreal.com

Jun 26, 2021, 10:28:13 PM6/26/21
On Sat, 26 Jun 2021 09:48:35 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:
I just received the new "Centerline Drill Guide". It's very expensive
but also extremely well thought out. Good drill guides aren't cheap
and this is certainly no exception.

I think my favorite red tool are the stainless Paolini pocket rules. I
use the 6" rule constantly.

Leon

Jun 27, 2021, 12:33:56 PM6/27/21
Yes that drill guide looked impressive. I thought they were still in
production and had not been shipped yet.

Anyway, I have the Woodpeckers story sticks. The one that goes to 96"
and a couple of the shorter ones too.
And the set of 4 woodworkers edge rules with stops.
And I have a set of Bridge City steel rules.

I pretty much only use a tape measure for quick double checking layouts
and rough measuring spaces.

And now I have ordered the Exact 90 miter gauge.

The exact 90 and its micro adjustable stop works similar but differently
than the Incra.
The micro adjust on the stop will be much easier to use than the one on
the Incra flip stop. Incra needs to update and improve how their flip
stop is micro adjusted because re calibration is necessary if you micro
adjust that stop. No so with the Exact 90.
Oh, and no tools to make normal adjustments on the Exact 90.

k...@notreal.com

Jun 27, 2021, 4:42:13 PM6/27/21
On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 11:33:45 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
I pre-ordered it last February(?). It came last week.

>Anyway, I have the Woodpeckers story sticks. The one that goes to 96"
>and a couple of the shorter ones too.
>And the set of 4 woodworkers edge rules with stops.
>And I have a set of Bridge City steel rules.

I have the 96" story stick, too, but haven't used it much. The 96"
story stick comes apart so didn't think a shorter one was necessary. I
have one of the longer Woodpecker rules but I don't like it much.
Their aluminum rules are too thick to be really useful. The Paolini
rules have some really nice features. If you haven't check out their
Deep Dive. Again, the red ones are next to useless. The stainless
are great.

Their steel straight edge is perfect for aligning saw extensions and
such, were accuracy is critical. I don't think they sell it anymore,
only an aluminum rule.

>I pretty much only use a tape measure for quick double checking layouts
>and rough measuring spaces.

>And now I have ordered the Exact 90 miter gauge.

I still don't see its purpose and it's expensive as hell.

>The exact 90 and its micro adjustable stop works similar but differently
>than the Incra.
>The micro adjust on the stop will be much easier to use than the one on
>the Incra flip stop. Incra needs to update and improve how their flip
>stop is micro adjusted because re calibration is necessary if you micro
>adjust that stop. No so with the Exact 90.
>Oh, and no tools to make normal adjustments on the Exact 90.

I'll look at it again but thought it expensive for what it is. I
already have three miter gauges (one being crappy one on the Unisaur).

Leon

Jun 27, 2021, 6:51:23 PM6/27/21
I had the short ones before they introduced the 96" model. I talked to
them years ago at a WW show and suggested being able to link them
together. They said that the longer one was on the drawing board.

> have one of the longer Woodpecker rules but I don't like it much.
> Their aluminum rules are too thick to be really useful. The Paolini
> rules have some really nice features. If you haven't check out their
> Deep Dive. Again, the red ones are next to useless. The stainless
> are great.

The WW edge rules fit on the edge of a board, top edge and edge. The
measurement markings are tapered down close to the wood.

https://www.woodpeck.com/woodpeckers-woodworkers-edge-rule.html

> Their steel straight edge is perfect for aligning saw extensions and
> such, were accuracy is critical. I don't think they sell it anymore,
> only an aluminum rule.
>
>> I pretty much only use a tape measure for quick double checking layouts
>> and rough measuring spaces.
>
>> And now I have ordered the Exact 90 miter gauge.
>
> I still don't see its purpose and it's expensive as hell.

A little pricey but not out of line with the Harvey and or the Incra set
up like mine.

>> The exact 90 and its micro adjustable stop works similar but differently
>> than the Incra.
>> The micro adjust on the stop will be much easier to use than the one on
>> the Incra flip stop. Incra needs to update and improve how their flip
>> stop is micro adjusted because re calibration is necessary if you micro
>> adjust that stop. No so with the Exact 90.
>> Oh, and no tools to make normal adjustments on the Exact 90.
>>
> I'll look at it again but thought it expensive for what it is. I
> already have three miter gauges (one being crappy one on the Unisaur).

So I kind'a picked it apart and asked several questions. A concern was
if it could simply dropped into the miter slow with the leaf spring
tensioners. It can be according to them. I seldom cut angles but will
hang on to my Incra in case I do.

And like most all if not all of their tools, it has a life time
warranty. My Incra has rusted pretty badly where my sweaty hands have
touched the steel miter section. It is way out of warranty.

I also inquired if it can be returned for a refund. It can, you pay
shipping with in 30 days. They charge you 15% restock 30~90 days.
After that it is yours. So shipping both ways is pretty much your only
expense should you not like it.

What I really like about it is the micro adjust on the flip stop, I am
not limited to the Incra's 1/32" resolution. While the Incra can be
micro adjusted in a number of ways, on the Exact 90 you simply spin a
nut. And with the Incra, you have to probably recalibrate after the
fact. And that is mostly because the flip stop carriage has no micro
adjust and the flip stop sorta does on the carriage.

If Incra would use the same adjustment procedure on their miter gauge
flip stop as they do with their TS fence it would be great. But they don't.

k...@notreal.com

Jun 28, 2021, 3:10:05 PM6/28/21
On Sun, 27 Jun 2021 17:51:14 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
But it doesn't take the place of a "normal" miter gauge. I already
have two, rather expensive, miter gauges.

>>> The exact 90 and its micro adjustable stop works similar but differently
>>> than the Incra.
>>> The micro adjust on the stop will be much easier to use than the one on
>>> the Incra flip stop. Incra needs to update and improve how their flip
>>> stop is micro adjusted because re calibration is necessary if you micro
>>> adjust that stop. No so with the Exact 90.
>>> Oh, and no tools to make normal adjustments on the Exact 90.
>>>
>> I'll look at it again but thought it expensive for what it is. I
>> already have three miter gauges (one being crappy one on the Unisaur).
>>

>So I kind'a picked it apart and asked several questions. A concern was
>if it could simply dropped into the miter slow with the leaf spring
>tensioners. It can be according to them. I seldom cut angles but will
>hang on to my Incra in case I do.

A miter gauge that never makes angles. Hmm, what's wrong with this
picture. ;-)

>And like most all if not all of their tools, it has a life time
>warranty. My Incra has rusted pretty badly where my sweaty hands have
>touched the steel miter section. It is way out of warranty.

Incra makes parts readily available and they're not TOO expensive.

>I also inquired if it can be returned for a refund. It can, you pay
>shipping with in 30 days. They charge you 15% restock 30~90 days.
>After that it is yours. So shipping both ways is pretty much your only
>expense should you not like it.

I don't doubt that I would like it. *Need* it?

>What I really like about it is the micro adjust on the flip stop, I am
>not limited to the Incra's 1/32" resolution. While the Incra can be
>micro adjusted in a number of ways, on the Exact 90 you simply spin a
>nut. And with the Incra, you have to probably recalibrate after the
>fact. And that is mostly because the flip stop carriage has no micro
>adjust and the flip stop sorta does on the carriage.
>
>If Incra would use the same adjustment procedure on their miter gauge
>flip stop as they do with their TS fence it would be great. But they don't.

It's rather large for a miter gauge, isn't it?

Leon

Jun 28, 2021, 8:45:03 PM6/28/21
So do I, but neither have a micro adjust that is convenient to use. Had
a Kreg, it's gone, and the Incra.

>>> I'll look at it again but thought it expensive for what it is. I
>>> already have three miter gauges (one being crappy one on the Unisaur).
>>>

>> So I kind'a picked it apart and asked several questions. A concern was
>> if it could simply dropped into the miter slow with the leaf spring
>> tensioners. It can be according to them. I seldom cut angles but will
>> hang on to my Incra in case I do.
>
> A miter gauge that never makes angles. Hmm, what's wrong with this
> picture. ;-)

You have a miter saw don't you? The Bosch?

Leon

Jun 28, 2021, 9:02:15 PM6/28/21
On 6/28/2021 2:09 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
Snip

Hit send instead of scolling down.

;~)

>> And like most all if not all of their tools, it has a life time
>> warranty. My Incra has rusted pretty badly where my sweaty hands have
>> touched the steel miter section. It is way out of warranty.
>
> Incra makes parts readily available and they're not TOO expensive.

To replace the adjustable miter section is pricey, and the new one will
rust again.

>> I also inquired if it can be returned for a refund. It can, you pay
>> shipping with in 30 days. They charge you 15% restock 30~90 days.
>> After that it is yours. So shipping both ways is pretty much your only
>> expense should you not like it.
>
> I don't doubt that I would like it. *Need* it?

Technically I don't need anything in my shop....

>> What I really like about it is the micro adjust on the flip stop, I am
>> not limited to the Incra's 1/32" resolution. While the Incra can be
>> micro adjusted in a number of ways, on the Exact 90 you simply spin a
>> nut. And with the Incra, you have to probably recalibrate after the
>> fact. And that is mostly because the flip stop carriage has no micro
>> adjust and the flip stop sorta does on the carriage.
>>
>> If Incra would use the same adjustment procedure on their miter gauge
>> flip stop as they do with their TS fence it would be great. But they don't.
>
> It's rather large for a miter gauge, isn't it?

No larger than my Incra. I have the 1000 HD and and almost replaced the
short 18-31" fence with the 27-49" fence. And the fence is that long
but you cannot set the stop to 49", closer to 43". The Exact 90 says
the flip stop will go out to 45".

Finally the miter bar is 25.5" long, so wider panels will be easier to
cross cut. Although a track saw or sled, which I also have, will do the
same. I very often get into complicated time sensitive jobs. Being
able to do something on two or more machines with out having to change a
set up is of interest to me. More than anything, the micro adjust on
the flip stop catches my eye. I cannot tell you how many times I have
gotten close with the Incra stop and manually pushed the work less than
1/32" to get the perfect fit, and that is hard to repeat over and over.

FWIW when I bought the Kreg it was basically only to cut accurate at 90
degree. The fact that it would adjust to other angles was of no
interest to me. I had Dubby sleds for that.
Then one day the Kreg sat with the morning sun bearing down on it and
the brass indexing pin seized in the aluminum. Not realizing what was
really going on the pair of pliers did irrepairable damage. ;~( So I
got the steel Incra.

k...@notreal.com

Jun 28, 2021, 11:13:06 PM6/28/21
On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 19:44:55 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
Incra and JessEm. The JessEm is very accurate but its setup is really
weird.

>>> So I kind'a picked it apart and asked several questions. A concern was
>>> if it could simply dropped into the miter slow with the leaf spring
>>> tensioners. It can be according to them. I seldom cut angles but will
>>> hang on to my Incra in case I do.
>>
>> A miter gauge that never makes angles. Hmm, what's wrong with this
>> picture. ;-)
>
>You have a miter saw don't you? The Bosch?

You have a Kapex, don't you?

I'm going to sell the Bosch, if I can. It takes way too much space.

k...@notreal.com

Jun 28, 2021, 11:34:49 PM6/28/21
On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 20:02:06 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 6/28/2021 2:09 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
>Snip
>

>Hit send instead of scolling down.
>
>;~)

BTDT

>>> And like most all if not all of their tools, it has a life time
>>> warranty. My Incra has rusted pretty badly where my sweaty hands have
>>> touched the steel miter section. It is way out of warranty.
>>
>> Incra makes parts readily available and they're not TOO expensive.
>
>To replace the adjustable miter section is pricey, and the new one will
>rust again.

Mine isn't rusted. I try to keep the humidity in my shop a lot lower
than I once did (garage in Alabama). I'm trying to keep it to ~50% RH
but 55% seems to be the realistic limit, at least so far this summer.
Maybe when I turn on the AC it'll drop some more. A lot of
electricity (it's not that much) is cheaper than a lot of rusted cast
iron.

>>> I also inquired if it can be returned for a refund. It can, you pay
>>> shipping with in 30 days. They charge you 15% restock 30~90 days.
>>> After that it is yours. So shipping both ways is pretty much your only
>>> expense should you not like it.

I think they're safe. I wonder how many people return *anything* if
they have to pay the return shipping. I've returned very little even
when I didn't have to pay shipping.

>> I don't doubt that I would like it. *Need* it?
>
>Technically I don't need anything in my shop....

But there's always some other money sponge. Priorities. $269 seems
excessive.

>>> What I really like about it is the micro adjust on the flip stop, I am
>>> not limited to the Incra's 1/32" resolution. While the Incra can be
>>> micro adjusted in a number of ways, on the Exact 90 you simply spin a
>>> nut. And with the Incra, you have to probably recalibrate after the
>>> fact. And that is mostly because the flip stop carriage has no micro
>>> adjust and the flip stop sorta does on the carriage.
>>>
>>> If Incra would use the same adjustment procedure on their miter gauge
>>> flip stop as they do with their TS fence it would be great. But they don't.
>>
>> It's rather large for a miter gauge, isn't it?
>>

>No larger than my Incra. I have the 1000 HD and and almost replaced the
>short 18-31" fence with the 27-49" fence. And the fence is that long
>but you cannot set the stop to 49", closer to 43". The Exact 90 says
>the flip stop will go out to 45".

It looked larger. I have a 1000HD, also, but the shorter fence. My
JessEm will go to 36"ish. I haven't seen a need for more. Larger
panels would be done on the track saw anyway. I don't like moving
large sheets around the table saw. I'd much rather bring the saw to
the wood.

>Finally the miter bar is 25.5" long, so wider panels will be easier to
>cross cut. Although a track saw or sled, which I also have, will do the
>same. I very often get into complicated time sensitive jobs. Being
>able to do something on two or more machines with out having to change a
>set up is of interest to me. More than anything, the micro adjust on
>the flip stop catches my eye. I cannot tell you how many times I have
>gotten close with the Incra stop and manually pushed the work less than
>1/32" to get the perfect fit, and that is hard to repeat over and over.

I noticed that long bar. I don't think I could fit it in the storage
cabinet. My miter gauges are hard enough to store. ;-)

Leon

Jun 29, 2021, 9:37:17 AM6/29/21
I was looking at the Jeesem too, isn't their current on a new design? I
do not know. Anyway it's fence is way to short for my use, IIRC 36 or
so inches.
I looked at the new Harvey too. A decent miter gauge that is actually
standard on one of their TS's. But oddly the rule/scale, on the fence,
has not lengths marked. And I don't think the fence is very long either.

>>> A miter gauge that never makes angles. Hmm, what's wrong with this
>>> picture. ;-)
>>
>> You have a miter saw don't you? The Bosch?
>
> You have a Kapex, don't you?

Redundancy is my friend!

> I'm going to sell the Bosch, if I can. It takes way too much space.

Don't you have like 45,00,000,00000,0 square feet of shop space? What
will you replace it with? If I had not bought the Kapex, I would have
gotten the Bosch. I think the big thing for me was the superior dust
collection on the Kapex. I still use it on site at times.

Leon

Jun 29, 2021, 10:05:10 AM6/29/21
On 6/28/2021 10:34 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2021 20:02:06 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/28/2021 2:09 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
>> Snip
>>

>> Hit send instead of scolling down.
>>
>> ;~)
>
> BTDT

It is of the utmost importance that we get our vast amount of knowledge
out there ASAP. :~)

>>> Incra makes parts readily available and they're not TOO expensive.
>>
>> To replace the adjustable miter section is pricey, and the new one will
>> rust again.
>
> Mine isn't rusted. I try to keep the humidity in my shop a lot lower
> than I once did (garage in Alabama). I'm trying to keep it to ~50% RH
> but 55% seems to be the realistic limit, at least so far this summer.
> Maybe when I turn on the AC it'll drop some more. A lot of
> electricity (it's not that much) is cheaper than a lot of rusted cast
> iron.

Well being just east of Houston 50% would feel boned dry. Our
contentiously conditioned home is normally at 60%. The garage is
currently at 99%, but it has been raining a lot this Summer. My rust is
from my sweat. Nothing else really has rust.

> I think they're safe. I wonder how many people return *anything* if
> they have to pay the return shipping. I've returned very little even
> when I didn't have to pay shipping.

Nor I but it is sight unseen. Nice to have that assurance. I don't
jerk knee buy anything, normally. I did return a Rikon BS 15 or so
years ago. Again I asked the Woodcraft if I could return it since I
could not do the touchy feely thing. Then promptly got the Laguna.

>>> I don't doubt that I would like it. *Need* it?
>>
>> Technically I don't need anything in my shop....
>
> But there's always some other money sponge. Priorities. $269 seems
> excessive.

Not cheap but most any decent miter gauge these days is in that range.
And after July 5, IIRC it goes up $30.
I have given it that thought, but I can store it where I store my Incra,
a shop built holster that resides on the side of one of my cabinets.
Then I have to find a new home for the Incra.. ;~)

>> FWIW when I bought the Kreg it was basically only to cut accurate at 90
>> degree. The fact that it would adjust to other angles was of no
>> interest to me. I had Dubby sleds for that.
>> Then one day the Kreg sat with the morning sun bearing down on it and
>> the brass indexing pin seized in the aluminum. Not realizing what was
>> really going on the pair of pliers did irrepairable damage. ;~( So I
>> got the steel Incra.

Ultimately if you, or I for that matter, are happy with what you have
there would be no reason to get this miter gauge. But for me it does
address a short coming of the Incra.

k...@notreal.com

Jun 29, 2021, 8:38:34 PM6/29/21
On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 08:37:08 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
The new JessEm is completely different than the one I have. It looks
like any other miter gauge now. The HD1000 would put the new one to
shame.

<https://www.amazon.com/JessEm-07100-Mite-R-Excel-Precision-Indexing/dp/B000W3K1HW>

Its fence is "only" 36" long. That's enough for me.

>I looked at the new Harvey too. A decent miter gauge that is actually
>standard on one of their TS's. But oddly the rule/scale, on the fence,
>has not lengths marked. And I don't think the fence is very long either.

Odd. Not having a rule makes no sense.

>>> You have a miter saw don't you? The Bosch?
>>
>> You have a Kapex, don't you?
>
>Redundancy is my friend!

I thought with a Kapex you didn't need sex.

>> I'm going to sell the Bosch, if I can. It takes way too much space.
>>

>Don't you have like 45,00,000,00000,0 square feet of shop space? What
>will you replace it with? If I had not bought the Kapex, I would have
>gotten the Bosch. I think the big thing for me was the superior dust
>collection on the Kapex. I still use it on site at times.

Not quite. Only 30,00,000,00000,0 square feet. The problem is that
it's cut up into ~13'x15' rooms (depending on the size of the room
above it). The slides sticking out the back mean the thing is 3'-4'
from the wall. Add some left and right tables and it's a whole room.
...and another longer run of DC. It's DC is *really* crappy, too. I
have to put a hood on it, which makes it even larger. I'm really
disappointed in it for WW work. Great for 2-bys but not so great for
accuracy.

k...@notreal.com

Jun 29, 2021, 8:49:41 PM6/29/21
On Tue, 29 Jun 2021 09:05:01 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
I remember that. You can watch the sweat fall and rust form where it
hits. Very aggravating.

>> I think they're safe. I wonder how many people return *anything* if
>> they have to pay the return shipping. I've returned very little even
>> when I didn't have to pay shipping.
>
>Nor I but it is sight unseen. Nice to have that assurance. I don't
>jerk knee buy anything, normally. I did return a Rikon BS 15 or so
>years ago. Again I asked the Woodcraft if I could return it since I
>could not do the touchy feely thing. Then promptly got the Laguna.

I looked real hard at Rikons, several models at different places
(seems everyone carries some of the line). Then I looked at the
Laguna 14/SUV and forgot the Rikons. Then I ended up buying the 18bx.
;-)

>>> Technically I don't need anything in my shop....
>>
>> But there's always some other money sponge. Priorities. $269 seems
>> excessive.
>
>Not cheap but most any decent miter gauge these days is in that range.
>And after July 5, IIRC it goes up $30.

Sure, it's no more expensive than a decent gauge but it's another.
That's a good idea. I have my rules hanging on magnetic hooks from
one my cabinets.

>>> FWIW when I bought the Kreg it was basically only to cut accurate at 90
>>> degree. The fact that it would adjust to other angles was of no
>>> interest to me. I had Dubby sleds for that.
>>> Then one day the Kreg sat with the morning sun bearing down on it and
>>> the brass indexing pin seized in the aluminum. Not realizing what was
>>> really going on the pair of pliers did irrepairable damage. ;~( So I
>>> got the steel Incra.
>
>Ultimately if you, or I for that matter, are happy with what you have
>there would be no reason to get this miter gauge. But for me it does
>address a short coming of the Incra.

You had me giving it another look. I see they're not available until
December. The good thing is that if you buy directly from
Woodpeckers, they don't charge your CC until it ships. Buy it from
anyone else and they'll charge you immediately

I ordered a jointer a couple of weeks ago. It won't be in stock until
mid-late October but they charged my CC immediately. I'm not happy
about that and may cancel the order. I forfeit any CC protection by
paying that far in advance. I've never done business with the company
so am a little leery.

Leon

Jun 30, 2021, 2:58:45 PM6/30/21
LOL and I think some of the iron and steel sees the drip coming and
prerusts in anticipation. I might be exaggerating. ;~_

>>> I think they're safe. I wonder how many people return *anything* if
>>> they have to pay the return shipping. I've returned very little even
>>> when I didn't have to pay shipping.
>>
>> Nor I but it is sight unseen. Nice to have that assurance. I don't
>> jerk knee buy anything, normally. I did return a Rikon BS 15 or so
>> years ago. Again I asked the Woodcraft if I could return it since I
>> could not do the touchy feely thing. Then promptly got the Laguna.
>>
> I looked real hard at Rikons, several models at different places
> (seems everyone carries some of the line). Then I looked at the
> Laguna 14/SUV and forgot the Rikons. Then I ended up buying the 18bx.
> ;-)

THAT was the mistake, cost mistake. Once you see the top end saws
nothing else really measures up. BS's are a PIA anyway for blade
changes but not having to tweak every time I use it is a big time saver.

>>> But there's always some other money sponge. Priorities. $269 seems
>>> excessive.
>>
>> Not cheap but most any decent miter gauge these days is in that range.
>> And after July 5, IIRC it goes up $30.
>
> Sure, it's no more expensive than a decent gauge but it's another.

LOL, How many routers do you have. ;) I'm not sure, off hand, I have, 5
I think.
Yeah, My steel rules are on a bar magnet along with my "good" screw
drivers.

>> Ultimately if you, or I for that matter, are happy with what you have
>> there would be no reason to get this miter gauge. But for me it does
>> address a short coming of the Incra.
>
> You had me giving it another look. I see they're not available until
> December. The good thing is that if you buy directly from
> Woodpeckers, they don't charge your CC until it ships. Buy it from
> anyone else and they'll charge you immediately

Exactly!

> I ordered a jointer a couple of weeks ago. It won't be in stock until
> mid-late October but they charged my CC immediately. I'm not happy
> about that and may cancel the order. I forfeit any CC protection by
> paying that far in advance. I've never done business with the company
> so am a little leery.

Details? Brand, size, from who? :~)

Bob Davis

Jun 30, 2021, 7:16:37 PM6/30/21
On Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 1:58:45 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
> I cannot tell you how many times I have
gotten close with the Incra stop and manually pushed the work less than
1/32" to get the perfect fit, and that is hard to repeat over and over.

Just use a set of automotive feeler gauges to make it repeatable. ;-)

Yes, I have actually done that. I also use setup blocks frequently.

Bob

k...@notreal.com

Jun 30, 2021, 9:15:04 PM6/30/21
On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 13:58:35 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
2x the price wasn't interesting. Kinda like the Sawstop vs. Unisaur.
;-)

>>> Not cheap but most any decent miter gauge these days is in that range.
>>> And after July 5, IIRC it goes up $30.
>>
>> Sure, it's no more expensive than a decent gauge but it's another.
>
>LOL, How many routers do you have. ;) I'm not sure, off hand, I have, 5
>I think.

Six. ;-) One (PC693) I use for construction sorts of things. I like
the 'D' handle for that sort of work. One is a Colt. Two in tables
(one really used). And a couple of, well, green.
Good stainless doesn't stick to a bar magnet very well. I use
magnetic hooks. Not these but similar:

<https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Refrigerator-Neodymium-Scratch-Resistant-Base%EF%BC%8CIdeal/dp/B07XG5HFVW/ref=sr_1_15?crid=2OE3163UFQ09A&dchild=1&keywords=magnetic+hooks+heavy+duty&qid=1625101361&sprefix=magnetic+hooks%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-15>

>>> Ultimately if you, or I for that matter, are happy with what you have
>>> there would be no reason to get this miter gauge. But for me it does
>>> address a short coming of the Incra.
>>
>> You had me giving it another look. I see they're not available until
>> December. The good thing is that if you buy directly from
>> Woodpeckers, they don't charge your CC until it ships. Buy it from
>> anyone else and they'll charge you immediately
>
>Exactly!
>

>> I ordered a jointer a couple of weeks ago. It won't be in stock until
>> mid-late October but they charged my CC immediately. I'm not happy
>> about that and may cancel the order. I forfeit any CC protection by
>> paying that far in advance. I've never done business with the company
>> so am a little leery.
>>

>Details? Brand, size, from who? :~)

I was really only looking at 8" jointers. I had a Crapsman 6" (from
the early '80s) that was in tough shape. I gave it to a friend who
has it almost completely restored. It may have been a 6" but it was
way underpowered and too short to be all that useful.

It came down to the Jet and Laguna, with cost being the only advantage
of the Jet. SWMBO told me to go for it (and gave me the money for our
anniversary). OK, works for me.

Laguna JX8, 8", Woodwerks (aka thisiswoodworking.com)

Leon

Jul 1, 2021, 11:07:49 AM7/1/21
On 6/30/2021 6:16 PM, Bob Davis wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 30, 2021 at 1:58:45 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
>> I cannot tell you how many times I have
> gotten close with the Incra stop and manually pushed the work less than
> 1/32" to get the perfect fit, and that is hard to repeat over and over.
>
> Just use a set of automotive feeler gauges to make it repeatable. ;-)

Yeah, but not as elegant. ;~)

> Yes, I have actually done that. I also use setup blocks frequently.

Some set up block kits are as much as this miter gauge... :~0

> Bob

Kim wants to know if you and Anne would like to come out hand have
dinner one afternoon/evening.

Leon

Jul 1, 2021, 11:17:33 AM7/1/21
On 6/30/2021 8:14 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:

Snip

>> Yeah, My steel rules are on a bar magnet along with my "good" screw
>> drivers.
>
> Good stainless doesn't stick to a bar magnet very well. I use
> magnetic hooks. Not these but similar:
>
> <https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Refrigerator-Neodymium-Scratch-Resistant-Base%EF%BC%8CIdeal/dp/B07XG5HFVW/ref=sr_1_15?crid=2OE3163UFQ09A&dchild=1&keywords=magnetic+hooks+heavy+duty&qid=1625101361&sprefix=magnetic+hooks%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-15>

Most of my rules, 4 of the 6 are BridgeCity.

>>> You had me giving it another look. I see they're not available until
>>> December. The good thing is that if you buy directly from
>>> Woodpeckers, they don't charge your CC until it ships. Buy it from
>>> anyone else and they'll charge you immediately
>>
>> Exactly!
>>

>>> I ordered a jointer a couple of weeks ago. It won't be in stock until
>>> mid-late October but they charged my CC immediately. I'm not happy
>>> about that and may cancel the order. I forfeit any CC protection by
>>> paying that far in advance. I've never done business with the company
>>> so am a little leery.
>>>

>> Details? Brand, size, from who? :~)
>
> I was really only looking at 8" jointers. I had a Crapsman 6" (from
> the early '80s) that was in tough shape.

Me too! I used it for tying our Great Dane.

I gave it to a friend who
> has it almost completely restored. It may have been a 6" but it was
> way underpowered and too short to be all that useful.
>
> It came down to the Jet and Laguna, with cost being the only advantage
> of the Jet. SWMBO told me to go for it (and gave me the money for our
> anniversary). OK, works for me.
>
> Laguna JX8, 8", Woodwerks (aka thisiswoodworking.com)

They appear to have been in business over 30 years. You probably have
nothing to worry about.