Why do I do this?

cse...@mts.net

Mar 15, 2011, 10:46:53 PM3/15/11
My wife's sister's husband asked me to do some work for him. As I am
reluctant to ask for or take money from "family", I offered a trade.
He lives in the country and I asked him if he knew of any apple trees
I (we) might get wood off of. "Yes" he did know of an abandoned
apple tree and he would supply me with the wood. 2- 3 ft logs would
be just fine said I. I then spend a few hours doing work for him
using my tools and electricity, while he stood around and asked
unrelaterd questions and generally slowed me down.

He comes back a few weeks later with three twisted dried out rotted
twigs from 1/2 to about 1 inch in diameter and a few ft long. This
was payment.

He is (allegedly) an engineer and not my brother-in-law - he's my
wife's brother-in-law. If he were mine, he would getting his nuts
re-aligned at the "So, you got nutted but good!!" ward of the local
hospital. Real brother-in-laws are fair game.

I am contemplating charging 75$ per hr plus expenses plus extras, for
so much as a conversation about work. These rates will be prominently
posted with no exceptions to "family". The expenses should cover the
medication for "AIDs of the ears" that get transmitted when listening
to assholes. The extras are for the donuts - a full dozen, no
crullers. This should distract me enough so I don't have to listen.

Is 75$ enough?

Lew Hodgett

Mar 15, 2011, 11:11:56 PM3/15/11

<cse...@mts.net> wrote:

--------------------------------
BTDT.

$75 is not nearly enough.

Try the following:

$150/hr portal to portal, 4 hour minimum billing, expenses billed as
an additional item with a 10% handling fee added.

Overtime for Saturday work billed at $300/hr.

Overtime for Sunday work billed at $600/hr.

$600 minimum deposit required prior to start of any work.

Lew

Robert Allison

Mar 15, 2011, 11:20:44 PM3/15/11

I run into that all the time. The last time it happened, I did an
estimate for a job for my BIL. When I gave it to him, he asked what
kind of family discount he was going to get. I told him; Hell, since
you are my BIL I figured you would pay me more than the estimate!

He got the message.

I either stick to my price or I do it entirely for free. Mostly free
nowadays.

--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX

Bill

Mar 15, 2011, 11:44:07 PM3/15/11
cse...@mts.net wrote:
> My wife's sister's husband asked me to do some work for him. As I am
> reluctant to ask for or take money from "family", I offered a trade.
> He lives in the country and I asked him if he knew of any apple trees
> I (we) might get wood off of. "Yes" he did know of an abandoned
> apple tree and he would supply me with the wood. 2- 3 ft logs would
> be just fine said I. I then spend a few hours doing work for him
> using my tools and electricity, while he stood around and asked
> unrelaterd questions and generally slowed me down.
>
> He comes back a few weeks later with three twisted dried out rotted
> twigs from 1/2 to about 1 inch in diameter and a few ft long. This
> was payment.

Just curious... did you "accept the payment"? I could not have done so
while containing my composure, except to say you can dump that in the
refuse bin if you want to. Good luck in the future!

Bill

Bill

Mar 15, 2011, 11:59:09 PM3/15/11

How did you disseminate details like these: Brochure, business card,
other? A nickel for your thoughts ain't gonna cut it, huh? : )

Lew Hodgett

Mar 16, 2011, 12:18:28 AM3/16/11

------------------------

"Bill" wrote:

> How did you disseminate details like these: Brochure, business
> card, other? A nickel for your thoughts ain't gonna cut it, huh?
> : )

---------------------------------
Standard terms and conditions provided as part of any written quote.

Lew

nailsh...@aol.com

Mar 16, 2011, 12:45:03 AM3/16/11
Since I have been doing this so long as a self employed, my family
knows better than to ask. If it is something small..... sure. I fix
entry doors, install new locks, and small stuff like that for lunch.

But "Gary (BIL) is thinking of tearing out part of the built in
cabinets to make room for a new big screen and wanted to know if you
would give him a hand" winds up with just that.

I clap for him, applaud his energy, and wish him the best.

If I am doing the job, I am charging for the work.

When I am asked if they get the "family discount", I tell them I will
be glad to do the job for discounted money as long as they understand
it will be "discounted" work.

We are all long past that. Does my sister give up part of her
insurance commission when she writes a policy for family? No. So why
should I give up my hard earned scratch to her?

On occasion they have thought me too high; after a good screwing a few
times by my brethren in this business, they are tired of paying me to
fix repairs or installations that were poorly executed. I have found
that after they have had their rear ends drilled pretty good a few
times, they are much more amenable to paying to get it done right,
regardless of who does it.

And ask yourself this question; will they take less than a
professional job from you, or will they expect even more because they
are family? It is always the latter for me, so I charge accordingly.

Robert

Leon

Mar 16, 2011, 1:14:53 AM3/16/11

<cse...@mts.net> wrote in message

I believe that if you did not properly negotiate up front your and his
expectations both of you may walk away dissatisfied. He may have
reconsidered the worth after seeing your work... He may be writing a
similar letter in another forum.

-MIKE-

Mar 16, 2011, 1:27:27 AM3/16/11
In this case you did the work for your wife, not her brother-in-law....
at least that's the way you should look at it. Is $75 enough to make up
for any resentment it may cause her due to the likely strain in the
relationships involved?

Happy wife, happy life.
Perhaps there is some way she could make it up to you. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com
mi...@mikedrumsDOT.com

Just Wondering

Mar 16, 2011, 4:16:04 AM3/16/11
On 3/15/2011 8:44 PM, Bill wrote:
> cse...@mts.net wrote:
>> My wife's sister's husband asked me to do some work for him. As I am
>> reluctant to ask for or take money from "family", I offered a trade.
>> He lives in the country and I asked him if he knew of any apple trees
>> I (we) might get wood off of. "Yes" he did know of an abandoned
>> apple tree and he would supply me with the wood. 2- 3 ft logs would
>> be just fine said I. I then spend a few hours doing work for him
>> using my tools and electricity, while he stood around and asked
>> unrelaterd questions and generally slowed me down.
>>
>> He comes back a few weeks later with three twisted dried out rotted
>> twigs from 1/2 to about 1 inch in diameter and a few ft long. This
>> was payment.
>
> Just curious... did you "accept the payment"? I could not have done so
> while containing my composure, except to say you can dump that in the
> refuse bin if you want to. Good luck in the future!

I'd hold him to the deal he made. He agreed to supply you with 2-3 foot
logs from an abandoned apple tree. Insist that he do just that, even if
he has to spend two days scrounging around to find the tree. If he
balks, tell him you'll settle for an equivalent amount of hardwood lumber.

BTW, him screwing you on the wood is his bad. You letting him use your
time by slowing you down with unrelated questions is your bad.

Lobby Dosser

Mar 16, 2011, 4:38:54 AM3/16/11
"Leon" <lcb1...@swbell.dotnet> wrote in message

LOL!

"So I took him some rotted out cherry twigs. Should have seen his face.
Seems it was Sour Cherry ..."

Han

Mar 16, 2011, 8:19:45 AM3/16/11
A friend of the other grandfather of my elder granddaughters is my friend
too. He also is a plumber, loquacious plumber, and I like to chat with him
as works for me. I pay him what he asks. I have no idea what the rates
should be, but his work is good.

--
Best regards
Han

HeyBub

Mar 16, 2011, 8:20:26 AM3/16/11

We have only half the story.

If, for example, he asked you to design and build a 2,000 watt power supply
for his home entertainment center and you provided a milk jug full of
marbles, along with the comment "Once I had the idea, the project just came
together," his "payment" of a few twigs might (to us) seem reasonable (and
very eloquent).

What did you do for him?

cse...@mts.net

Mar 16, 2011, 10:25:36 AM3/16/11

>We have only half the story.
>What did you do for him?

Your taking this way too seriously. Stop analysing and read the part
where alleged "family" got something for nothing. And bullshitted me
about what he knew and "could get". All because I own tools and he
doesn't, learned how to use them and he didn't, and that makes me
free labor.

The work I did was a rear main crank seal on his dodge mini van.
Price that out at the local garage.

The odd part is when I ask them for some of their time to lend a hand,
I get reasons why - too busy, too sick, will be away, not interested
in getting dirty and the list goes on.

Shame on me for letting myself be conned. I should learn how to be
either smooth or whiney to get them all to work for me, but I'm
getting way too old start that game.

And yes, in the most polite language possible, I gave him my thoughts
on his brain patterns, parantage and education.

Mike Marlow

Mar 16, 2011, 11:21:32 AM3/16/11
cse...@mts.net wrote:

> The work I did was a rear main crank seal on his dodge mini van.
> Price that out at the local garage.

Well... a rear main is certainly worth a couple of nice hunks of apple.

--

-Mike-
mmarlo...@windstream.net

FrozenNorth

Mar 16, 2011, 11:30:23 AM3/16/11
On 3/16/11 11:21 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
> cse...@mts.net wrote:
>

>> The work I did was a rear main crank seal on his dodge mini van.
>> Price that out at the local garage.
>>

> Well... a rear main is certainly worth a couple of nice hunks of apple.

It appears he got mainly reared :-)

--
Froz...

Swingman

Mar 16, 2011, 12:01:14 PM3/16/11
On 3/16/2011 7:19 AM, Han wrote:
> A friend of the other grandfather of my elder granddaughters is my friend
> too. He also is a plumber, loquacious plumber, and I like to chat with him
> as works for me. I pay him what he asks. I have no idea what the rates
> should be, but his work is good.

Probably be cheaper to get your doctor to do it ... :)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Han

Mar 16, 2011, 1:59:18 PM3/16/11
Swingman <k...@nospam.com> wrote in

> On 3/16/2011 7:19 AM, Han wrote:
>> A friend of the other grandfather of my elder granddaughters is my
>> friend too. He also is a plumber, loquacious plumber, and I like to
>> chat with him as works for me. I pay him what he asks. I have no
>> idea what the rates should be, but his work is good.
>
> Probably be cheaper to get your doctor to do it ... :)

Come on, Karl ...

Denis M

Mar 16, 2011, 2:42:40 PM3/16/11

"Han" <nob...@nospam.not> wrote in message
I do not rely on woodworking for a living.
I have never taken money from family, brethren, neighbours or friends for
work done in woodworking.
Nor do I have or had any hidden agenda to do so.
After doing so for decades my assets are not less or better.

HeyBub

Mar 16, 2011, 3:38:38 PM3/16/11

Too bad you poisoned the well. You could have said you wanted to check
something out that you may have not done exactly right and, with your tool
kit, paid a visit to his driveway.

Thirty minutes later, with parts, oil, and a dead pigeon you brought along
for just this purpose, scattered around his driveway, you proclaim "this job
is just too damn dirty!" and leave.

Bill

Mar 16, 2011, 4:59:41 PM3/16/11
HeyBub wrote:

> Thirty minutes later, with parts, oil, and a dead pigeon you brought along
> for just this purpose, scattered around his driveway, you proclaim "this job
> is just too damn dirty!" and leave.

I'm not sure I understand all of the subtleties of this. Does the dead
pigeon carry some symbolic mystical meaning, and are you supposed to
just set it in the driveway? That seems wasteful. As performed with a
fish (in the movie "Grumpy Old Men"), much to my amusement, I think I
would rather throw it in the back seat of the minivan.

Bill

FrozenNorth

Mar 16, 2011, 5:17:22 PM3/16/11
No, you tie the fish to the fanbelt.
Think of the smell once it warms up and being diced and sliced :-)

Lew Hodgett

Mar 16, 2011, 5:40:16 PM3/16/11

"FrozenNorth" wrote:
> No, you tie the fish to the fanbelt.
> Think of the smell once it warms up and being diced and sliced :-)
---------------------------------
Rookies.

If you truly want revenge, smear fecal matter on the exhaust manifold
casting(s).

After that, the only solution is to replace the casting(s).

2nd choice is Limburger cheese which still requires casting(s) change
out.

Either way, think of the aroma while doing the change out.

BTW, a little on the engine block also works well.

Lew

Lew Hodgett

Mar 16, 2011, 7:46:29 PM3/16/11

-------------------------------------
"Swingman" wrote:

> Probably be cheaper to get your doctor to do it ... :)

========================
Old joke swing.

Lew

Upscale

Mar 16, 2011, 9:15:42 PM3/16/11

"Denis M" <mari...@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

> I have never taken money from family, brethren

It's good that you're comfortable helping them out. But then I have to ask,
where does it end? I've got a brother who only calls me up when he wants
something. In the past fifteen years, I've seen him exactly three times.
Those three times were as follows: Bail him out of jail for driving his
motorcycle with an expired license, bail him out of jail at 3:00 am on
outstanding parking ticket warrants, loan him money to he can get his car
back after it got towed. I've never asked him for anything because I know
he's not reliable. It was essentially the same when we were growing up only
it was my father coming to his rescue then.

I'm done and I think he knows that. I haven't got any more phone calls from
him in a number of years. It's sad when you think about it, but I'm
comfortable with my choice. I'll not be taken advantage of my him anymore.

Doug Winterburn

Mar 16, 2011, 8:51:11 PM3/16/11

Multiply your experience by 10-100 if you have a sibling on drugs.

HeyBub

Mar 16, 2011, 9:18:47 PM3/16/11

I once worked at a research hospital. There came a time our lab had to
dispose of about 200 pounds of frozen feces. Well, where?

We called the dental school next door to see if they could fire up their
crematory furnace for a bit. No, they said, it's summer and there are no
gross anatomy classes (the fact that it was summer figures into the equation
as you will see later).

So we called a septic tank cleaning company to find out what they did with
their stuff. They take it to a sewage treatement plant, they advised. We
called the city's sewage treatment plant. They demurred, allowing as how
frozen feces in plastic bags would mess up their equipment, but they did
suggest the city dump.

We called the dump. "What is it, arms and legs and stuff?" asked the
attendant on the 'phone. "No, it's frozen feces - shit!" we said.

"Bring it on," the dump warden advised.

So we loaded it up in two #2 washtubs and put it in the back of one of the
lab workers' station wagon. We waved him goodbye.

The stuff completely defrosted in the July heat before he even got out of
the parking lot!

He had to sell the car.

And he didn't get very much for it.

Larry

Mar 16, 2011, 10:08:07 PM3/16/11
cse...@mts.net wrote in

Having turned wrenches for 20+ years in my former life, I can
sympathize. Been in that situation many times. If you're a
good enough guy to help, there will always be someone to take
advantage.

Larry

Bill

Mar 16, 2011, 11:38:02 PM3/16/11
HeyBub wrote:
> The stuff completely defrosted in the July heat before he even got out of
> the parking lot!
>
> He had to sell the car.
>
> And he didn't get very much for it.

My first laugh of the day! Thanks.

Bill

DGDevin

Mar 17, 2011, 12:14:02 AM3/17/11
You do what you do because you're a nice guy. Your brother in law does what
he does either because he's not too bright (and thus doesn't know any
better) or because he's a jerk.

You got the better end of that distribution of character traits.

Denis M

Mar 17, 2011, 6:51:22 AM3/17/11

"Upscale" <ups...@teksavvy.com> wrote in message

Like they said I can only help within the length of my cable tow.
If I am not available, the lifting is too heavy or my skill and knowledge do
not match the requirement
I tell them.

Edward Hennessey

Mar 17, 2011, 11:19:01 AM3/17/11

"DGDevin" <DGD...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

One reason to do this is the different guy in the equation.
The one who shows
at 3 a.m when your car breaks down in shaky town. The one
who asks you
if you want his used truck. The one, in short, who knows
that reciprocity is
an obligation beyond tit-for-tat calculation.

You give your good offices sincerely and willingly to those
in need. But
if you later find that the similar courtesy is neither
recalled nor
extended by someone you have aided, you drop them with a
thunk
like a hot rock. Kindness sorts the unkind out. If for
nothing else, the OP
had that benefit from it.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Robatoy

Mar 17, 2011, 3:40:08 PM3/17/11
On Mar 17, 11:19 am, "Edward Hennessey" <haloOUTzzyzxh...@yahoo.com>
wrote:
> "DGDevin" <DGDe...@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

Absolutely.

d.williams

Mar 18, 2011, 7:35:50 PM3/18/11

"Robatoy" <counte...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Absolutely.

The old fool me once, shame on you
Fool me twice, shame on me

or as George W muffed it:

Fool me once, shame on you
Fool me twice.....ah bah dah bah, a badee, a badee,a badee....ah
Ya cain't get fooled again!