Teak - Wood for the nautical world

1 view

Jerry T.

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
Howdy Woodies:

I bounce between two newsgroups - rec. boats.cruising and rec.ww....
Lots of discussion over in boat land on "Teak" and it's uses in the
nautical
world.

Also, the words "boat" and "cheap" never get uttered in the same
sentence.
Just aquired the woodworking sailors dream-- a boat that requires some
reworks of
the teak on th e boat.... Nothing major, but if it is wood we will
make it beautiful, so the
UV from the sun can quickly destroy it....

Now back in woody land...

Two items - Most wood supply places that I know do not carry teak. Any
ideas
for where we can get this stuff at a good price. (Down in San Diego part
of the world.)

Nautical type places charge a fortune. Also, a lot of them deal in
"preformed/cut" pieces.
I am just looking for raw stock. (rough cut or planed.)

Also, any ideas on good wood glues for the wet and salty environment ?

thanks much

Jerry T

--

__

Kim Whitmyre

Jan 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/20/99
to jtwomey*...@fairchildsemi.com
> any ideas on good wood glues for the wet and salty environment

West System Epoxy is the only way to fly. They have a very thorough
handbook, usually available at retailers, that explains every aspect of
use. If you have any West Marine stores in your area, they will have the
stuff. The fact that they share the name West is purely coincidental, as
the epoxy is a Gougeon Brothers product.

Kim

Bill Denes

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
WEST is "Wood Epoxy Saturation Treatment" (really) {:>)

Bill Denes in Chattanooga

Robert Schmall

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
I checked the price of teak when planning a deck glider. The local
mill/retailer gets about $3.35 bf for white oak and quoted $19 bf for teak.
That white oak glider sure is heavy....
Bob

T h e G r i m b o

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
In article <36A6833B...@fairchildsemi.com>,
jtwomey*NO*SPAM*@fairchildsemi.com says...
> Howdy Woodies:
<snip>
> Two items - Most wood supply places that I know do not carry teak. Any
> ideas
> for where we can get this stuff at a good price. (Down in San Diego part
> of the world.)

<snip>

Teak is not an inexpensive wood. In Raleigh, NC a local lumberyard sells
it at about $20bf. I don't know of any places in CA that sell it. You
could try some of the online lumber yards like www.walllumber.com. I
think they sell it for less.

R.J. Hoppe

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
I agree, teak is not a CHEAP wood for boat use, I have built one boat and am
in the process of rebuilding a 21 ft Sloop. All the Teak needs replacing,
grabrails, coaming around the cabin entrance, etc. There are alternatives
to Teak though. I have found that Cypress, (on the lower end of the
pocketbook) though softer will last a long time in a salt water
environment, the same goes for mahogany (upper end, but not near as
expensive as Teak), though both need finishing or oiling to get the most
life out of them. I agree with the post on West system epoxies for use in
boat building. There is no stronger waterproof glue out there. One thing
you ought to keep in mind if you are going to use Teak and ANY glue/epoxie
for wood to wood joining. Teak is VERY oily (why it lasts so long in boat
use), and unless prepped before glue up, the joint WILL fail. To counter
this, soak the joint surfaces in acetone for a few seconds, wipe of the
excess, and let air dry for about a half hour before the actual glue up.
Couple other things when using epoxies. One, use a heat gun to warm the
surfaces to be joined, it allows the epoxy to run deeper and gives it a
better bond, and two, use unthickened epoxy to "wet" the joint before using
the thickening/adhesive additive, and three. Do NOT use massive clamping
pressure on the joint once glued. You want about 1/64"-1/32"of glue joint,
so apply moderate clamping pressure just to keep the joint from slipping.
One last thing, do not "finish" the Teak. Leave it bare and invest in a
couple bottles of teak oil. It does not take a finish very well anyway,
though it can be done. It is traditional to let it age to that beautiful
grey, if on the exterior of the boat. Good luck on the sources for the
teak, most in the US is imported from England, so pricing will be pretty
much the same no matter where you get it from. Have a blast and good luck
on the boat.

Robert Hoppe
Copperas Cove, TX

Jerry T. wrote:

> Howdy Woodies:
>
> I bounce between two newsgroups - rec. boats.cruising and rec.ww....
> Lots of discussion over in boat land on "Teak" and it's uses in the
> nautical
> world.
>
> Also, the words "boat" and "cheap" never get uttered in the same
> sentence.
> Just aquired the woodworking sailors dream-- a boat that requires some
> reworks of
> the teak on th e boat.... Nothing major, but if it is wood we will
> make it beautiful, so the
> UV from the sun can quickly destroy it....
>
> Now back in woody land...
>

> Two items - Most wood supply places that I know do not carry teak. Any
> ideas
> for where we can get this stuff at a good price. (Down in San Diego part
> of the world.)

Craig Patchett

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Jerry T. <jtwomey*NO*SPAM*@fairchildsemi.com> wrote in message

>Two items - Most wood supply places that I know do not carry teak. Any
>ideas for where we can get this stuff at a good price. (Down in San Diego
>part of the world.)

Best Teak I've seen in San Diego has been at Lane, Stanton, Vance in San
Marcos (nicely figured, $15/bf...760/471-4971). Try also Hardwood and
Hardware Store in Clairemont Mesa (619/569-2482) and Frost Hardwoods on
Miramar Road (619/455-9060).

Craig

Craig Patchett <cr...@patchett.com>
The CGI/Perl Cookbook: http://cgi-perl.com

love \luv\ (v): See John 3:16

Jerry T.

Jan 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/21/99
Woodies:

Good set of info on the where to get, what to glue
and how to glue (acetone for the oily stuff, good idea!)
of teak.

Thanks muchly !!!!

Yes the stuff is never cheap....

But then, why else would they call
a boat "a hole in the water into which one pours money ???"

Or, in case you are not aware, B.O.A.T. started
as an acronym:

"Bring Over Another Thousand"

Of course, my wood shop was not cheap either.....
thanks again,

Jerry T.

GSS

Jan 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/24/99
wall lumber is $7.50/BF for the teak.

--
邢 唷��

Craig Patchett

Jan 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/25/99
Craig Patchett <cr...@patchett.com> wrote in message

>Best Teak I've seen in San Diego has been at Lane, Stanton, Vance in San
>Marcos (nicely figured, $15/bf...760/471-4971).

Now that I think about it, I believe it was $12, not $15.