info on old cross-cut saw wanted

Flex123

Jul 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/11/98
I have an older cross-cut saw which I believe was my grandfather's, and I'd
like to know more about it as well as its 'collectability'. I say cross cut as
opposed to a ripping saw, as the teeth have some set to them.

On the blade, etched in somehow, is the following:

Ohlen-Bishop
Precision-Made Saw
<nice drawing of a running greyhound dog>
GREYHOUND
For The Skilled Mechanic
Warranted unequaled for fast cutting
Toughness, Uniformality & Edgeholding
Quality

Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A.

Immediately to the left of this is another passage in cursive script:

Genuine Greyhound blade for
those who demand the finest in tools
............ Material and workmanship
fully guaranteed
Ohlen-Bishop Mft. Co.

The blade is approximately 18 inches long. Any info would be greatly
appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dave Bockman

DoveTailed

Jul 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/12/98
If you do not get an answer here, try the oldtools front porch (you can locate
at the Electronic Neanderthal web site). This is where the old hand tool
afficionados hang out, and I am sure you would get some rapid information.

jenisi

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
to Flex123
Flex123 wrote:

> I have an older cross-cut saw which I believe was my grandfather's, and I'd
> like to know more about it as well as its 'collectability'. I say cross cut as
> opposed to a ripping saw, as the teeth have some set to them.

<snip>
Does the saw have a "back" to it? Straight across the "top", extra
piece of metal running across to stiffen it? May be a mitre saw.
BTW, rip saws also have a set to them, altho usually less than a
crosscut-it's how the teeth are cut that determines it's use. Also,
crosscut saws generally have more teeth per inch (TPI).
The following was told to me by Paul Fuss of the OldTools list.

First, Geo. H. Bishop saws were manufactured by the Ohlen-Bishop Co.
of Columbus, Ohio (though the logos on the saws say "Cincinnati, O.").
They claim to be "manufacturers of fine saws since 1852"; the catalog
I have is from 1937. Unfortunately I have no info about patent dates
or the age of your saw.

It appears they made five different types of backsaws, and I'll briefly
describe each. I believe what you probably have is the No. 8 Back Saw,
which featured a closed applewood handle with the winged dog (griffin?)
on the medallion. This was available in 10", 12", 14" and 16" lengths,
but there's no info on ppi, or specific use for that matter; it has a
steel back, and the illustration shows the complete logo on the blade
which reads as follows:

Extra
Geo. H. Bishop & Co.
Speed & Ease
[picture of winged dog]
Cincinatti, O. U.S.A.
Spring Steel 8 Warranted
Patent Ground

The other back saws were: No. 2 Pattern-Maker's Saw, which had an 8"
blade and an open handle; the No. 5 Dovetail Saw, which had a turned
handle; the No. 10 Patent Back Saw, which had teeth on both top and
bottom edges (I think one edge was rip, the other crosscut) with a
pivoting handle and a sliding "back" parallel to the edges but in the
middle of the blade (imagine using the back as a depth stop, say for
cutting in dadoes, then further imagine that this depth stop is
adjustable);
and finally the No. 88 Miter Box Saw, which was available in lengths
ranging from 18-24", with 11 ppi.

Ed