Boiled Linseed Oil - "What Does Slow To Dissolve" Mean?

DerbyDad03

Jul 22, 2022, 4:33:39 PM7/22/22
Home Depot carries Klean-Strip Boiled Linseed Oil.

Lowe's carries Jasco Slow to Dissolve Boiled Linseed Oil.

Please see the subject line. ;-)

Scott Lurndal

Jul 22, 2022, 4:42:56 PM7/22/22
It describes the "strength" of the BLO.

Mineral Spirits "strength" is listed as "Fast to dissolve".

Open the "Specifications" section of the web page.

It's pretty clear they use the same template for all solvents and
have lumped BLO into the solvent category.

Leon

Jul 23, 2022, 9:27:40 AM7/23/22
Dissolves slow. ;!)

Do you mix that one?

Or it could be a labeling error. I will never forget the school glue,
the one that was in a small glass bottle with a red rubber applicator.
The glue looked like molasses.

The label said Mint Flavored!

Leon

Jul 23, 2022, 9:37:48 AM7/23/22
LOL. Smoke and mirrors. I still scratch my head on wood glue, in
particular TB III. The label says Water Proof, I guess that is for the
common unsuspecting consumer. The Spec sheet defining water proof
leads you to the testing lab results that never mentions water proof,
just water resistant.

I guess with TB, water proof is water proof until it degrades to water
resistant.

I recall a magazine test of wood glues in all kinds of conditions.
IIRC, Wood Magazine, and that was around the time TB III was introduced.
In Short TB II out performed TB II when it came to the water testing.

I brought that up to Franklin and they held the line that it was water
proof and sent me a case of 4 oz bottles of the stuff.

AND while more expensive than TB II, TB III is what I use, but not in
damp conditions.
I use it because of the color it dries to, tan'ish vs. yellow.

k...@notreal.com

Jul 23, 2022, 10:06:19 AM7/23/22
On Sat, 23 Jul 2022 08:37:34 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:

>On 7/22/2022 3:42 PM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
>> DerbyDad03 <teama...@eznet.net> writes:
>>> Home Depot carries Klean-Strip Boiled Linseed Oil.
>>>
>>> Lowe's carries Jasco Slow to Dissolve Boiled Linseed Oil.
>>>
>>> Please see the subject line. ;-)
>>
>> It describes the "strength" of the BLO.
>>
>> Mineral Spirits "strength" is listed as "Fast to dissolve".
>>
>> Open the "Specifications" section of the web page.
>>
>> It's pretty clear they use the same template for all solvents and
>> have lumped BLO into the solvent category.
>

>LOL. Smoke and mirrors. I still scratch my head on wood glue, in
>particular TB III. The label says Water Proof, I guess that is for the
>common unsuspecting consumer. The Spec sheet defining water proof
>leads you to the testing lab results that never mentions water proof,
>just water resistant.
>
>I guess with TB, water proof is water proof until it degrades to water
>resistant.

"This <fill in the blank> has a lifetime warranty!"

"OK, it stopped working."

"It's dead, Jim."

Leon

Jul 24, 2022, 11:53:13 AM7/24/22
On 7/23/2022 9:06 AM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jul 2022 08:37:34 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
> wrote:

>>> It describes the "strength" of the BLO.
>>>
>>> Mineral Spirits "strength" is listed as "Fast to dissolve".
>>>
>>> Open the "Specifications" section of the web page.
>>>
>>> It's pretty clear they use the same template for all solvents and
>>> have lumped BLO into the solvent category.
>>

>> LOL. Smoke and mirrors. I still scratch my head on wood glue, in
>> particular TB III. The label says Water Proof, I guess that is for the
>> common unsuspecting consumer. The Spec sheet defining water proof
>> leads you to the testing lab results that never mentions water proof,
>> just water resistant.
>>
>> I guess with TB, water proof is water proof until it degrades to water
>> resistant.
>
> "This <fill in the blank> has a lifetime warranty!"
>
> "OK, it stopped working."
>
> "It's dead, Jim."

Nail on the head!

Way back in 1972 I worked for a tire company part time while in HS.

Warranty and Guarantee are not the same!

Our Tire displays giving details of the expectations and make up of the
tires indicate all came with a xx,xxx mile guarantee.

Then one day we got all new brochures and placards for our displays.
We were to replace all and "destroy" the old ones. And then send in
pictures to the home office of the new displays and brochures on the
counters.

The difference is that the tires now had a xx,xxx mile warranty and no
longer a xx,xxx mile guarantee.

Seems a guarantee had to be replaced at no charge should the tire miss
the stated mileage even by a few miles. The warranted tire then had a
pro rated adjustment to replacement cost.

We always prorated the tires but I guess a case was lost in court
against Goodyear/Kelly Springfield, our parent company.

Life time applies to the product, not your lifetime.