Catalyzed Lacquer over Nitrocellulose w/ Tie-In-Coat

sha...@webspan.net

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

Help.
I want to spray a catalyzed lacquer over an already existing nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Stripping and refinishing the wood as new is not an option.

I was advised by a plant manager of office furniture that it can be done with (probably) good results —that is no lifting or wrinkling.

He said that what is needed in between is something called a "tie-in-coat", which is different from a barrier coat.

What I want is not usually available to small-quantity users.

What is a "tie-in-coat"? Where can I obtain it, and in what quantities?

Any other suggestions? I am not interested in polyurethane or the like. I will settle for a solution to my problem which includes catalyzed lacquer, pre-catalyzed lacquer (even though less durable) or conversion varnish.

Thankyou.
Daniel
sha...@webspan.net

Jeremy Lowe

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96
to sha...@webspan.net

sha...@webspan.net wrote:

> Help.
> I want to spray a catalyzed lacquer over an already existing nitrocellulose lacquer finish. Stripping and refinishing the wood as new
is not an option.

> I was advised by a plant manager of office furniture that it can be done with (probably) good results —that is no lifting or wrinkling.
>
> He said that what is needed in between is something called a "tie-in-coat", which is different from a barrier coat.
>
> What I want is not usually available to small-quantity users.
>
> What is a "tie-in-coat"? Where can I obtain it, and in what quantities?
>
> Any other suggestions? I am not interested in polyurethane or the like. I will settle for a solution to my problem which includes
catalyzed lacquer, pre-cataly

> Thankyou.
> Daniel
> sha...@webspan.net

Catalized and pre cat lacquers are usually solvent based with a lacquer
thinner. A nitrocellulose finish should be degreased, deglossed and
scuff sanded. After prep a dust coat ( sprayed so that it drys almost as
soon as it hits the sufrace) or as some would call a tack coat should be
applied. Inspect the surface for pebbeling and lightly sand with 320. Re
tack and sand again with 320. After inspecting surface for even coverage
apply a nice thick wet coat to your tack coat. this process will ensure
coverage and should provide a base to work on to build your multiple
coats. Since the solvents in the nitro and the cat are similar you
should be able to obtain amalgamation of the two finishes with out
lifting. remember that many cat lacqs have a window of spraying time
after wich you must wait 24 hours befor laying any more finish.

Jeremy Lowe

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96
to sha...@webspan.net

should be able to obtain amalgamationof thetwo finishes with out

Jeremy Lowe

Aug 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/18/96
to sha...@webspan.net

should be able to obtain amalgamation of the two finishes with out

Robert Knospe

Aug 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/19/96
> should be able to obtain amalgamationof thetwo finishes with out

> lifting. remember that many cat lacqs have a window of spraying time
> after wich you must wait 24 hours befor laying any more finish.

Any suggestions on manufacturers of catalyzed lacquer?

Tom Meadows

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96

>Any suggestions on manufacturers of catalyzed lacquer?

I use Campbell or Pratt and Lambert brands. You can purchase it in 1 gal
or 5 gal containers.

A word of advice. Be sure and clean your spray equipment good when you
are done. A guy I know thought he could treat it like regular lacquer.
He sprayed the project, then it was 3 or 4 days before he decided to
clean up the spray equipment. Once air comes in contact with the pre-
catalyzed lacquer it starts setting up. He soaked the head and it wouldnt
come clean. He had to dig it out to unplug the gun.

I have had good results with it, and I have no complaints.

Thanks

-
TOM MEADOWS VDD...@prodigy.com
Joplin MO
Creative Works Custom Woodworking

Jeremy Lowe

Aug 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/21/96
> Creative Works Custom WoodworkingDitto on the Pratt, Star and Mohawk both carry a excellent grade of pre
cat. Tom, have you ever tried carb cleaner on your guns. We soak ours in
a parts washer over night and find it is the best cleaner we have seen
to date. a thorough wash with thinner is needed for residue and needle
packing doesn't last as long but its a small price for the speed and
ease of cleaning.