Speaking of Ridgid: Stacking Tool Boxes

-MIKE-

Jun 9, 2017, 5:26:37 PM6/9/17
Robert's recent Ridgid cordless drill review reminded me of their
portable stacking tool boxes, which I've been using for quite some time
now.
https://www.ridgid.eu/rs/en/professional-tool-storage-system

They have a "base" box which has wheels and a telescoping dolly handle.
A medium box with a tray insert, and small box that comes with removable
dividers and several separate cube-like cup containers for small parts
and fasteners.

They all have these clips on the top which snap into receivers on the
bottom which latch them together, tightly. So you can have 3 or 4
stacked together, forming one solid (dare I say, rigid!?) tool chest
which rolls around like a dolly.

They will often put them on sale for $99 for all three (buy the large
and medium, get the small for free). Since Fathers' Day is coming up,
look for this sale soon.

I originally bought one set of 3 when they had the sale. After checking
them out, I went back and immediately bought another set of 3. I think
I'm up to three sets of 3 along with a couple "basket" versions, which
also stack and lock. The baskets are great for throwing in the
job-specific extras that you might not use regularly. I use one for the
circ-saw with extension cord, blades, rip guide, etc. Then I have a
basket for bulk boxes of job-specific fasteners/nails-- you know, the
big 5lb boxes of deck screws and nails and such.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Box-Black-226036/206291778
The baskets are great for this kind of temporary mobile storage because
they also latch together on the other tool boxes, but are see-through
and open on top so you can see what's in them without having to open
them up.

I have one of the base boxes for plumbing tools. Another has my
hammers, pry-bars, tool belt, squares, stuff for framing. A medium box
has hand saws and files, chisels, grinder, cutting stuff. Another
medium box has other themed tools that are usually used together or for
specific types of jobs. You get the gist.

The small boxes are probably my favorite, though. I have one that I
fitted out to hold my Ridgid drill/driver combo with charger and
assorted drill bits and driver bits. Another for a huge assortment of
fasteners. Another dedicated to a huge assortment of wall anchors. And
I'm starting to convert some others to cases for other power tools, like
my Fein oscillating tool with attachments, the jigsaw with blades, etc.
I'm thinking of making a whole stack dedicated to pneumatic nail guns
and trim tools.

They are all labeled with black sharpie on white gaffer's tape. They
fit two wide, and 3-4 high in the space behind the back seat of my
minivan. They also can go behind the seat of my pick-up truck. When
latched together, you only one strap to tie them down.

It's so nice to be able to keep all the regular, commonly used tools in
the van, behind a seat and smoked glass (away from prying eyes), and
then be able to grab any job specific tool box to throw in the van/truck
knowing they will all lock together and not be sliding all over the
vehicle or tipping over and spilling.

I haven't even mentioned the obvious benefit of being able to roll 3-4
boxes at one time, like a dolly, into a building, up/down stairs and
back out again.

Oh, and by the way... they're water-proof! They have a gasket that run
around the perimeter of each lid, so no problem stacking and tying them
in the bed of the truck and driving in the rain. I haven't checked
whether or not they float, yet, but maybe I will.

All they need now is a version that is an insulated cooler!

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com
mi...@mikedrumsDOT.com

-MIKE-

Jun 9, 2017, 5:38:42 PM6/9/17
On 6/9/17 4:26 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
> The small boxes are probably my favorite, though. I have one that I
> fitted out to hold my Ridgid drill/driver combo with charger and
> assorted drill bits and driver bits.

As soon as I posted this I got a Ridgid email highlighting their new
Drill/Driver Combo pack that comes in a specially outfitted latching,
stacking case.

Hmmm... guess I'm not the only one who though of it. :-)

k...@notreal.com

Jun 9, 2017, 7:02:45 PM6/9/17
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 16:26:33 -0500, -MIKE- <mi...@mikedrumsDOT.com>
wrote:

>Robert's recent Ridgid cordless drill review reminded me of their
>portable stacking tool boxes, which I've been using for quite some time
>now.
>https://www.ridgid.eu/rs/en/professional-tool-storage-system

I have the top box shown there, and four of the open crates that match
it. I leave the crates across the back of my truck, with bunji cords
anchoring them to the side anchors. They're great for small stuff and
shopping trips. The tool box *STINKS*. I mean _literally_ *STINKS*.
I've had it in my garage, open and empty, for six months and it still
smells like, well.... Well, it smells like nuclear powered Xelite
socket wrenches. Yech! I thought it would air out in a month or two,
but as I said, it's been six now and I wouldn't think of taking it
into the house.

>They have a "base" box which has wheels and a telescoping dolly handle.
>A medium box with a tray insert, and small box that comes with removable
>dividers and several separate cube-like cup containers for small parts
>and fasteners.
>
>They all have these clips on the top which snap into receivers on the
>bottom which latch them together, tightly. So you can have 3 or 4
>stacked together, forming one solid (dare I say, rigid!?) tool chest
>which rolls around like a dolly.

It's a slick system, except...
I certainly wouldn't even think of putting food in one.

-MIKE-

Jun 9, 2017, 8:28:03 PM6/9/17
If it's any consolation to you, I've had mine for at least a year and
they don't smell anymore. Not even up close.

This is pure speculation but something I noticed. Try leaving them open
and outside in direct sunlight. I think UV may help get rid of the
smell. Again... total speculation on my part. But I noticed two of my
newer ones, which stunk the way you described, lost a considerable
amount of that smell after I had worked a couple days on an outside job
where they "baked" in the sun all day.

k...@notreal.com

Jun 9, 2017, 10:23:00 PM6/9/17
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 19:28:00 -0500, -MIKE- <mi...@mikedrumsDOT.com>
wrote:
Thanks. It's worth a try. It's supposed to be nice this weekend.
Maybe I'll put it out in the yard and try to de-stinkify it. It's
definitely less smelly than when new but not enough so that I can use
it.

It's strange. The "crates" don't seem to smell at all but the tool
boxes all have the smell of death.

-MIKE-

Jun 9, 2017, 11:33:30 PM6/9/17
My guess would be because they are totally open and not sealed up like
the boxes.

k...@notreal.com

Jun 10, 2017, 10:24:16 AM6/10/17
On Fri, 9 Jun 2017 22:33:28 -0500, -MIKE- <mi...@mikedrumsDOT.com>
It may be a different plastic, too. The crates are harder. The boxes
are like they're blow-molded(?).

-MIKE-

Jun 10, 2017, 10:43:40 AM6/10/17
I think you're right about them being harder.
Some of the sections on the boxes feel harder than other sections.
Perhaps because they are thicker? Maybe the hollow sections just feel
soft because they are thinner. Who knows?

I used to work in an injection molding place that made car parts and
there was a similar smell to the pellets that were melted down in the
injection machines. Of course, that was about 30 years ago.

I have drum cases that are "roto-molded" that have a similar smell for
the first year or so. Same black color and same feel to the plastic, so
it's likely the same stuff.

nailsh...@aol.com

Jun 10, 2017, 11:14:00 AM6/10/17
On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 4:26:37 PM UTC-5, -MIKE- wrote:
> Robert's recent Ridgid cordless drill review reminded me of their
> portable stacking tool boxes, which I've been using for quite some time
> now.
> https://www.ridgid.eu/rs/en/professional-tool-storage-system

OK, how in the world have I missed these? I am in and out of HD a lot during the week. It is no treat for me, in fact, I hate going. I go in, buy what I need, and leave.

Those boxes look wayyyy to handy to me. I will be buying a set to put my "door kit" in. The bottom one can hold my router, its bits, hinge template guide, and the uppers my long driving bits, my hole saws, sharp chisels, extra screws and trim pieces, a few clips of different sized brads, metal cutting recip saw blades, etc.

It would be excellent to not only have all that in one place ready to go when I need it, but the idea of having it ready to go and organized is too much to resist.

I will definitely look for that, and buy it when I find it. Thanks MIKE!

Robert

k...@notreal.com

Jun 10, 2017, 11:33:53 AM6/10/17
Dewalt has a similar set. Dewalt didn't have the crate (which is what
I was really looking for) but other than that, I thought it was a
better system.

<http://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-Tool-Storage-Portable-Tool-Boxes/DEWALT/N-5yc1vZc22aZ4j2/Ntk-SemanticSearch/Ntt-tool%2Bboxes?Ntx=mode+matchall&NCNI-5>

-MIKE-

Jun 10, 2017, 11:46:36 AM6/10/17
You're welcome and that's exactly what I've been doing-- making project
specific sets of tools. Heck, I've even gone to buying duplicates of
many hand tools to have in different sets. The convenience and lack of
"Did I forget something?" stress is worth it.

BTW, it looks like the the "buy two, get one free" deal is in effect
on-line thru the 22nd.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-22-in-Pro-Organizer-Black-222571/205440492

One last thing, if you want to spend more money, check out the Dewalt
stacking tool boxes. They are much more expensive but also much more
versatile. Some of their chests have drawers that pull out, so you can
get to the stuff without taking the box off the stack. They also have a
dolly system that uses rails to attach the boxes so you don't have to
un-stack them, you just pull off the one you want.

-MIKE-

Jun 10, 2017, 11:51:08 AM6/10/17
Funny, we were probably both typing the same recommendation at the same
time.
Those are the ones that rival the Ridgids.

These are Dewalt's Cadillac version. They are very cool but more than
3x the price.
<http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-40-Gal-Tough-System-Mobile-Storage-with-Carrier-4-Component-DWSTSYS06/301961114>

J. Clarke

Jun 10, 2017, 12:52:27 PM6/10/17
In article <ohh4aj$e1o$1...@dont-email.me>, mi...@mikedrumsDOT.com says...
Most of that price is the cart. DeWalt has a rolling box in both that
system and T-Stak that is similar to the one in the Ridgid system and much
less expensive. However, read the reviews on Amazon--the deWalt stuff has
some nice convenience features but there's some complaining about lower
quality when compared to Ridgid.

Also, note that there is a Stanley-branded version that is compatible with
the deWalt T-Stak.

J. Clarke

Jun 10, 2017, 2:40:09 PM6/10/17
In article <MPG.33a5edd13...@news.eternal-september.org>,
j.clark...@gmail.com says...
And a further note, if you have deep pockets, there are always Systainers,
from Tanos and Festool. And yes, there is a cart for them, at about the
same price as the one from deWalt.

k...@notreal.com

Jun 10, 2017, 3:05:53 PM6/10/17
As much as I like the Festool tools, I've never been impressed with
their Systainers. The plastic seems cheep for the big money they get
for them.

Kezbin

Jul 17, 2021, 2:15:06 PM7/17/21
Thank you for mentioning the smell. I went in the store to purchase today and when I opened the boxes it burned my nose it was so strong. Smells like it was made in a really cheap cigar factory. I was wondering if my store just got a bad batch but sounds like thats normal.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/speaking-of-ridgid-stacking-tool-boxes-809205-.htm