Craftsman Router Problem

Rob Kubo

Aug 31, 2005, 2:18:22 PM8/31/05
I have a Craftsman Router, Model 315.175110. Naturally it is out of
warranty. The Depth Adjustment Ring is "frozen" and I can not raise or
lower my cutters. Any suggestions on how I can free up the ring and use the
router as it should be? Thanks, Rob K.

Al Reid

Aug 31, 2005, 4:26:00 PM8/31/05
"Rob Kubo" <RbtK...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I had the same router and same problem. I was able to free it up by blowing
compressed air around the threads and then spraying WD-40 into the threads.
That worked a couple of times. The last time I used a strap wrench and a
bench vise on it. I gave up and bought a PC 7518 and have never had any
problems with it.

--
Al Reid

11Bravo

Mar 22, 2022, 10:45:07 PM3/22/22
Same problem here..its a pin sticking out in the thread housing ..it's comes from the left handle -into the router body and Jambs there

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/craftsman-router-problem-39154-.htm

Eric Metzger

Jul 22, 2022, 6:25:05 PM7/22/22
How do you fix it?

knuttle

Jul 22, 2022, 6:39:58 PM7/22/22
I don't understand the bolt sticking out thing, but when my Sears Router
jam, I did this to free it.

First I sprayed the tightening nut with a light oil, I also added oil
to all around the top of the housing router body joint. I also added
oil to the slot where the tightening bolt is

I let it set and periodically would try to move it, if it did not move I
added more oil.

After a couple of attempts and using some force it came loose. I then
wiped all of the oil from the body.

I then used a very fine sandpaper and cleaned all of the mating
surfaces, mainly the inside of the base.

When everything was free, I used an auto buffing compound on all of
surfaces of the router, including the inside area of the base where it
come in contact with the router body.

I then used a good car wax and waxed all surface I had just cleaned.

I have had no problems since.

I keep all of the surfaces of my tools waxed, ie drill press post and
base, saws, etc.

Markem618

Jul 22, 2022, 10:21:34 PM7/22/22
Do you detail cars too? My tongue hurts.

Eric

Jul 22, 2022, 11:31:54 PM7/22/22
How do you fix it?

knuttle

Jul 23, 2022, 7:16:55 AM7/23/22
After doing my tools I don't have time for my cars ;-)

k...@notreal.com

Jul 23, 2022, 9:12:09 AM7/23/22
On Wed, 23 Mar 2022 02:45:03 +0000, 11Bravo
<0cc8c6271fbf2da6...@example.com> wrote:

>Same problem here..its a pin sticking out in the thread housing ..it's comes from the left handle -into the router body and Jambs there

It's a good thing you finally came along. He's been waiting 17 years
for the answer.

Leon

Jul 23, 2022, 9:43:28 AM7/23/22
;~) Eric's post leads to a link that shows the first answer came 4
months ago, 16 years after the question.