rigid lifetime warranty home depot problems

jack smith

Apr 12, 2004, 11:16:25 PM4/12/04
hi just wanted to post a followup to the rigid tool threads that have
died.
i bought a rigid 4 pack of cordless 18v tools back in september, all
have been working well except the following.

i do have the lifetime tool warranty, copied and a laminated copy
(donot laminate the original, it will turn black.), as the original
home depot reciept will fade to nothing in a matter of months.

a month after having the 18v X2 cordless drill R841150 the low
variable speed went out. so all it would do is full speed, like
pulling the trigger all the way. i took it back to home depot and they
gave me a new one, but said that it was only because it was less than
90 days old.

next a battery went bad after taking a 8 foot drop, the batts have
taken that kind of drop before with no problem.
i got the run around with a local shop that was an "authorized" repair
dealer. finally i called rigid back and said i would like another
dealer, so they gave me a different one. that dealer said to send the
defective battery to them and they would take care of it. i waited a
month for my battery replacement. it did come, but oddly enough it
came from a RYOBI fufilment center, HMMMMM....
i did notice the RYOBI serial stickers on thier drills have the same
date code serial configuration as the rigid.

so currently, tonight... i was doing alot of drilling, particularly
mediun speed drilling, trigger spends alot of time half pulled, the
low trigger speed range went bad, and now its all or nothing, no
variable speed. i will be sending the drill in, so we will see how
long this takes and what they do to fix it or get me another.....

anybody else have any problems with the rigid tools or the rigid
lifetime warranty of thier cordless and power hand tools?

P©WÉ®T©©LMAN ²ºº4

Apr 12, 2004, 11:47:49 PM4/12/04

"jack smith" <ebay4s...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

As for the battery if you know it has taken an 8ft drop what can you
expect??? inside a connection between the cells has probably disconnected /
broken (they are not designed to withstand that kind of treatment, when they
survive an 8ft drop onto a hard surface you are lucky), we are a Ridgid
warranty service center & if there were no obvious signs of the drop & you
did not openly confess to dropping it we would replace or repair it under
warranty without question.....(if within the warranty period).

As for the switch it should get replaced promptly no question...but read the
small print, the warranty is clear..as mud...Dated receipt / proof of
purchase is required...Ask Home Depot or your local Ridgid service center
for copies of the Service announcements related to Ridgid's expressed
warranty policies to know exactly where you stand.

As a clue (The Lifetime warranty relates to defects in manufacturing not
wearing out during normal use).

Ridgid / Ryobi Tech / Emerson / One World Tech / Techtronic Ind..........one
& the same.(at the moment)

Regards & good luck.

Jon~
--
My eBay items currently listed:
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=lamblies&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

WoodChuck34

Apr 13, 2004, 8:47:43 AM4/13/04
> i bought a rigid 4 pack of cordless 18v tools back in september, all
> have been working well except the following...

>a month after having the 18v X2 cordless drill R841150 the low
variable speed >went out...
>i took it back to home depot and they gave me a new one...

>tonight... i was doing alot of drilling, particularly mediun speed
drilling, >trigger spends alot of time half pulled, the low trigger
speed range went >bad, and now its all or nothing, no variable speed.

To me, this chain of events doesn't scream out that they are working
well. 2 bad triggers on 2 different drills. Sounds like more than a
fluke.

Chuck

Leon

Apr 13, 2004, 9:55:32 AM4/13/04

"jack smith" <ebay4s...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Sorry to hear about your bad luck and or to be expected luck. I too
considered getting one of the drills during the period that offered the
lifetime warranty on all parts. Then I got to thinking of why the tools
would not have a lifetime warranty if bought after 1/1/2004. Your
experience may explain the lack of a lifetime warranty now. I do agree
though that an 8' drop for the battery pack can be considered abuse. The
triggers on the drills seems to indicate a product that is not intended to
be used very often.

007

Apr 14, 2004, 2:17:49 AM4/14/04
If the serial/date codes are same as Ryobi, Nuff Said

Ryobi is nothing but absolute total JUNK!

My Ryobi router quit functioning as designed after less than 4 hours continuous use - I now have to duct tape the lock into the run position to keep it going.  My Ryobi radial arm saw died after a few months use because the plastic housing mounting screw molds in the swivel head broke out and the entire saw motor head fell out off the arm.  Of course, I didn't discover the problems until well after the warranty periods.

If Home Depot starts giving them away, and they'll provide more than one so when the first one dies, I May take them home.  Otherwise, I never want to see another Ryobi POS again as long as I live!

I decided on their brand back when it was being featured on PBS home improvement shows.  It's no surprise now that I never see their products used by the likes of Norm and others on PBS.  Good to know I'm not the only one got duped by them.

If Rigid is indeed being manufactured by the same people, I'm thankful to know.  At least I can avoid getting a huge one up the wazu again.

Thanks for your post!

Bubba

PS- If you're looking for a replacement 18V kit, I highly recommend the Milwaukee ones.  I have worked the crap out of these tools and they just keep on going!  I'm very impressed and that's hard to do anymore.  Don't ya just love how Home Depot & Lowes gives out those "Disappearing" ink receipts?

--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

Doug Miller

Apr 14, 2004, 9:01:52 AM4/14/04
In article <c5il36$miu$1...@news.utelfla.com>, "007" <Holdinu...@Yahoo.Com> wrote:

>------=_NextPart_000_003A_01C421C6.AF408960

Please turn off the HTML settings in your newsreader, 007.

See www.houghi.org for an explanation of how and why.

--
Regards,

For a copy of my TrollFilter for NewsProxy/Nfilter,
send email to autoresponder at filterinfo-at-milmac-dot-com

Lazarus Long

Apr 14, 2004, 11:01:59 AM4/14/04
On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 02:17:49 -0400, "007" <Holdinu...@Yahoo.Com>
wrote:

>. Don't ya just love how Home Depot & Lowes gives out those "Disappearing" ink receipts?

They're not the only ones. Best Buy, Circuit City, ect. ect.

Jules

Apr 14, 2004, 12:07:20 PM4/14/04
But how do you really feel?

John Carlson

Apr 14, 2004, 9:23:28 PM4/14/04
Not exactly a warranty problem, but ...

A couple years ago I bought a Ridgid shop vacuum. It's been working
just fine, I have no complaints about it. But about 2 months ago I
used up the last of the filters that I had so I went to HD to buy some
more. What I found is that they carry only one size/model filter and
it doesn't fit my vac. (I checked at 3 different HDs. Same story in
all 3)

Inquiries as to where/how I could get a filter to fit my model
produced only shrugs and comments along the line of "That's the only
one we stock."

Three e-mails to Home Depot via their web site's "contact us" link (or
whatever it's called) asking where I might find this part produced
absolutely no response.

Apparently HD switched vendors (Emerson to Ryobi?) and gave no thought
to stocking even routine replacement parts for customers who owned the
older models. As far as they're concerned, I should simply toss out
my perfectly-good vac and go buy a new one, to save them the bother of
stocking replacement service parts.

Based on this experience, I would never again buy anything from HD
that might ever need service or replacement parts. I might consider a
Ridgid-brand hammer, screwdriver or crowbar, but nothing more
complicated.

(The story does have a happy ending, no thanks to HD: Recalling that
Emerson used to be the supplier of Craftsman power tools, I checked
out the local Sears and found a whole shelf full of filters in exactly
the right size. I bought half a dozen.)

On 12 Apr 2004 20:16:25 -0700, ebay4s...@yahoo.com (jack smith)
wrote:

>anybody else have any problems with the rigid tools or the rigid
>lifetime warranty of thier cordless and power hand tools?

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net

Marc Rheaume

Apr 14, 2004, 10:17:32 PM4/14/04
http://www.ridgidparts.com

Give this site a call/e-mail. They may be able to help you.

Marc.
Remove NOJUNK in address.

"John Carlson" <collec...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

jack smith

Apr 15, 2004, 5:31:47 PM4/15/04
hi guys, several you have commented on the dissapearing ink reciepts,
i bet ridgid and HD are banking on that in the lifetime warranty deal,
what i did was to copy the reciept, with the lifetime warranty insert
and credit card statement , then laminate it with the cut out of the
upc on the ridgid box.
the original reciepts have all but faded now.

as for the warranty, some of you are concerned with the end of the
promotional lifetime warranty of january 2004 it ending. it is
possible that some people mis unsderstand that. it seems that some
people are taking that as the end of the lifetime warranty? (i get
that impression from some of the posts here, and elsewhere) if you
bought before jan 2004 you lock in the lifetime warranty, period. that
will be obvious to most, but wanted to explain it anyway.

i have pulled out my laminated warranty card,

some key things it states,

"LIMITED TIME OFFER: On all purchases of RIDGID hand and stationary
power tools from september 1st to december 31, 2003!"

"dont miss this chance to recieve a lifetime of service* on these
power tools designed to be used day after day"

"this lifetime service warranty covers all defects iin workmanship or
materials AND normal wear items"

"that means free battery packs for life."

"remember to hold on to your reciept! proof of purchase MUST be
presented when requesting the limited lifetime warranty service and to
participate in the 90 day satisfaction guarentee"
"see details by visiting www.ridgid.com or calling 1-866-539-1710"
------------

i also think some people might be confusing the regular lifetime
warranty that ridgid has offered on all thier large electric power
tools for a long time, that warranty does not cover normal wear and
tear.

hope that helps clarify..

Mapdude

Apr 18, 2004, 6:31:59 PM4/18/04
Contact Ryobi. My dad used to get stuffed fixed all the time after
warranties had expired. Call the company.

jack smith

Apr 27, 2004, 10:35:46 PM4/27/04
just an update to keep the thread alive,

i have not had a chance to send in my drill yet as i am still involved
with some projects with it. i have noticed that now its all or no
speed, at first sign of speed failure it was no speed/90%/full. i have
been using it recently for alot of concrete drilling with a 1/2
concrete bit, the drill is holding up quite well, although i did use
it so much yesterday that some kind of thermal cutoff happened, the
drill acted dead, but later that night, i squeezed the trigger again
and it worked all or nothing like before. im still looking for people
to give me feedback on thier ridgid cordless tool sucesses and
failures. even storys of how the cordless tools survived something
terrible, would be cool.

Marty

Jun 14, 2018, 10:14:05 PM6/14/18
replying to jack smith, Marty wrote:
After you purchase the item, make a photo copy. Regular home/office printers
normally do not use heat (thermo-copy) to make copies. No home printer? Go to
the local library, Office Max/Depot etc.
Copied receipts do not fade while in a file or attached to your owners manual
even if you keep it in the garage.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/rigid-lifetime-warranty-home-depot-problems-225010-.htm

DerbyDad03

Jun 14, 2018, 10:52:42 PM6/14/18
On Thursday, June 14, 2018 at 10:14:05 PM UTC-4, Marty wrote:
> replying to jack smith, Marty wrote:
> After you purchase the item, make a photo copy. Regular home/office printers
> normally do not use heat (thermo-copy) to make copies. No home printer? Go to
> the local library, Office Max/Depot etc.
> Copied receipts do not fade while in a file or attached to your owners manual
> even if you keep it in the garage.

A timeless suggestion, which is a good thing considering that this thread is
over 14 years old.

nailsh...@aol.com

Jun 15, 2018, 3:10:29 AM6/15/18
Sometimes inexperience and ignorance go hand in hand. I shake my head in disbelief remembering at how some people thought a dastardly scheme had been perpetrated by big business with their disappearing ink. I used to think... "am I the only one that //owns// a fax machine?" Really? Am I the only one that has seen all images disappear from thermal paper in an afternoon in my hot truck? Seemed so at the time. I laughed my ass off at the conspiracy theory guys that professed from their bar stool throne that the lifetime warranty was nothing but a scam by big business.

They still use thermal paper in their receipt generation, as does EVERYONE else these days. Find a real, printed receipt on paper generated from an ink printer. Not even the little businesses have those.

HD had a few problems with their lifetime warranty registrations, but in my experience they always have said to make a copy of your receipt and keep it in a safe place. Likewise (having just registered more tools) they have a suggestion when you received conformation of registration that you print the conformation page and save that, too.

You can also go to their website any time and check your registrations (I have about 16 tools registered) and if you want, print their page from their website with all your information.

I have used the Ridgid warranty program 3 times, including once to replace batteries. The battery problem was easy to solve; I called Ridgid and told them the batteries wouldn't hold a charge. The looked up my account, and the lady on the other end started laughing while I told her the symptoms. She said, "well, I guess you got good service out of them. They're over 8 years old!". She sent me two new batteries and I had them in about 10 days.

I have called them when I couldn't get the registration to work right, and found out that I was reading the sticker on the tool incorrectly. I can't remember which it is, they don't use a "0" or an "o" (zero or o ) or the other way around to keep from having typos. Cleared it up on the phone and my registration verification was sent to me in about 10 - 12 days.

It is meticulous to have to register every single piece of a combo kit, but you only do it once. Their side of the story is that people try to register just a tool, and not its batteries. Or the tool and the batteries, but not the charger. Or they wait past the 90 days window of registration because they "meant to" do it. Or they get the information on the receipt wrong, which that information is more important than the serial numbers on the tools. When I lost my receipt from a recent purchase I just went to the email account I set up to get email receipts for my company purchases, and pulled it up and registered it from the pdf I downloaded.

Doesn't seem to me that they are trying hard to get out of the whole warranty issue. On my side, I will say that I bought two of their 5" ROS to sand down a mile or two of awful fascia. I bought them about 20 years ago based on price, not on warranty or performance. I listened to the group here and my boys as well and didn't register them, so no protection as I felt like they warranty would never be honored. So when the velcro sanding pads wear out and fall off, I have to buy them online for about $13 plus delivery. My amigo that bought one at the same time registered his, and about every 3-5 years he calls Ridgid as needed, and they simply send him a new one. Lesson learned.

Robert

DerbyDad03

Jun 15, 2018, 7:05:14 AM6/15/18
Another option is to scan documents and create pdf's. These can printed, emailed to oneself,
stored in the cloud, on a cd, thumb drive, etc. A combination of methods pretty much ensures
that the information will be available when needed.

Yes, technologies change, but they also overlap, so even if you have to transfer the docs from
one type of media to another at some point, you'll be able to.

russell...@yahoo.com

Jun 17, 2018, 7:14:44 PM6/17/18
I understand why Home Depot and everyone else does their warranties and registrations the way they do. But I still like the simple and easy Sears Craftsman method. Bring your Craftsman tool back to Sears and get a new one. You brought it in, therefore you own it and its yours and you have 100% right to the lifetime warranty. No messing around with registering your tool, keeping file cabinets or computer discs filled with serial numbers and receipts.

DerbyDad03

Jun 17, 2018, 8:35:19 PM6/17/18
Apples and forklifts.

Have you tried that with anything other than a Craftsman screwdriver or
hammer, such as a power tool? For Husky hand tools, Home Depot does the same
thing as Sears. There's no registration and no receipt required.

"If your Husky hand tool ever fails, bring it back and we will replace it
free."

https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/35/352a50e2-9ef4-4ac2-99c4-06b87722274f.pdf

On the flip side, Craftsman doesn't even guarantee their power tools for
life, so there is no comparison to be made there.

IOW, Home Depot wins:

1 - Same process for Husky hand tools as Craftsman
2 - Life guarantee on Rigid power tools, even if the customer has to
do a little work.

True Story:

I had a Husky labeled torque wrench that went bad. When I tried to exchange
it at a local store, HD no longer carried that model and the store is only
allowed to do a "same item swap". The CSR suggested that I call Husky.

When I called Husky, they said that they no longer carry that tool. 3/8" drive
with in-lb increments. In fact, they didn't supply HD with *any* in-lb
torque wrenches, only ft-lb. They suggested I call Home Depot customer service.

I called HD and the CSR located a 1/4" drive in-lb wrench by a different
manufacturer for $40. "If you'd like, I can send you check for $40 and you
can go buy the other wrench." I said OK.

Sure, I lost the lifetime warranty on the replacement tool, but HD did their
best to honor their commitment, so I was satisfied.

DerbyDad03

Jun 17, 2018, 8:39:18 PM6/17/18
BTW I'm pretty sure that "You brought it in, therefore you own it" would
not hold up in court.

Possession doesn't not equate to ownership.

nailsh...@aol.com

Jun 18, 2018, 7:53:25 PM6/18/18
On Sunday, June 17, 2018 at 7:35:19 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

> On the flip side, Craftsman doesn't even guarantee their power tools for
> life, so there is no comparison to be made there.

Back in the 70s when I was framing houses, I found that out. I bought a few of the Craftsman line of circular saws intending to use their guarantee, and I did just that. Amazingly, their saws would last about 4 months or so on the job, which was pretty damn good. And at that time, they did indeed honor the lifetime commitment on power tools as well.

But after seeing me in there so many times with worn out saws, the "tool corral manager" (yes, a real title!) took me aside and ask me what I was doing to wear out the saws so quick since he was seeing me about every 6 weeks. I told him what I was using them professionally, and he agreed that it didn't void the warranty. However, with any of the power tools, it was the discretion of the store and the tool corral manager to replace after the first replacement. Non corded tools, use them up and bring in the remains, no problem. Corded, store discretion.

Who knew?

I could have taken the tools to the other Sears store (remember, no computers to track) and fudged my way through, but I figured I had outgrown their tools anyway. It wasn't but a few years later that the "tool corral manager" told me they quit honoring the lifetime warranty on their power tools, period. It was a combination of things; first, they were losing their market and had cheapened the build quality of their tools to the point they had enough trouble honoring a one year warranty, and second, too many people had brought in their tools for replacement. Back then, all you needed to do was bring the receipt for the power tools, but all you had to do was bring the non corded tools in.

I am with you on the Ridgid warranty. I like it. Used it with success, so I keep investing in their tools if they have what I want.

Robert

Leon

Jun 18, 2018, 7:59:55 PM6/18/18
Apples, Oranges Craftsman never did that with power tools, and that is
what we are talking about.

Leon

Jun 18, 2018, 8:02:42 PM6/18/18
If helped if the tool appeared to be worn. If brand new they would be
skeptical that you picked one up off the shelf and exchanged for an
identical new on, in a bag.

Craser

Sep 12, 2021, 7:45:06 PM9/12/21

Theshop

Nov 29, 2021, 12:15:06 PM11/29/21
Could not agree more on Ryobi. I gave all my Ryobi tools and batteries away to a homeless shelter yard sale. At that time the tools worked and the batteries would charge up. They called me to see if I wanted the tools back because nobody wanted them.

Tex Lawrence

Apr 2, 2022, 3:45:07 PM4/2/22
I have two rigid gen5X saws there around eight months old but one eight months later the shift quit working mocha like it’s slipping every time you try to cut a board so about another one yeah 8 to 9 months later it done the same thing shift clock it’s slipping I would like to take one back to Home Depot or send it in to get fixed but I don’t know which one to do

J. Clarke

Apr 2, 2022, 6:28:58 PM4/2/22
On Sat, 02 Apr 2022 19:45:03 +0000, Tex Lawrence
<8c2837c36212055d...@example.com> wrote:

>I have two rigid gen5X saws there around eight months old but one eight months later the shift quit working mocha like it’s slipping every time you try to cut a board so about another one yeah 8 to 9 months later it done the same thing shift clock it’s slipping I would like to take one back to Home Depot or send it in to get fixed
but I don’t know which one to do

If you want to send it in you're going to need to get an RMA number
and when you're doing that I'm sure Ridgid will tell you if it's
better to take it back to Home Depot.

Leon

Apr 3, 2022, 3:12:47 PM4/3/22
On 4/2/2022 2:45 PM, Tex Lawrence wrote:
> I have two rigid gen5X saws there around eight months old but one eight
> months later the shift quit working mocha like it’s slipping every time
> you try to cut a board so about another one yeah 8 to 9 months later it
> done the same thing shift clock it’s slipping I would like to take one
> back to Home Depot or send it in to get fixed but I don’t know which one
> to do

Ummmm, CONTACT RIDGID!!!

DerbyDad03

Apr 3, 2022, 4:25:53 PM4/3/22
On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 3:45:07 PM UTC-4, Tex Lawrence wrote:
> I have two rigid gen5X saws there around eight months old but one eight months later the shift quit working mocha like it’s slipping every time you try to cut a board so about another one yeah 8 to 9 months later it done the same thing shift clock it’s slipping I would like to take one back to Home Depot or send it in to get fixed but I don’t know which one to do

Did you register them with Ridgid when you bought them? If so, contact Ridgid. They will (should)
honor their lifetime warranty.

If you didn't, contact them anyway and see what they say. Maybe they'll let you register them now,
although they are supposed to be registered with 90 days.

"To take advantage of the LSA’s benefits, simply register your eligible RIDGID power tool product and
submit your proof of purchase for validation within 90 days of the date of purchase."

Who knows, it's worth the free phone call. If they say no, try the store. You'll still need proof of purchase
(receipt or the credit card you bought them on). After this much time, the best they'll probably offer you
is store credit (if that) so don't get your hopes up. Still, probably worth the trip. You never know.

k...@notreal.com

Apr 3, 2022, 5:33:54 PM4/3/22
On Sun, 3 Apr 2022 13:25:50 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
<teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 3:45:07 PM UTC-4, Tex Lawrence wrote:
>> I have two rigid gen5X saws there around eight months old but one eight months later the shift quit working mocha like it’s slipping every time you try to cut a board so about another one yeah 8 to 9 months later it done the same thing shift clock it’s slipping I would like to take one back to Home Depot or send it in to get fixed but I don’t know which one to do
>
>Did you register them with Ridgid when you bought them? If so, contact Ridgid. They will (should)
>honor their lifetime warranty.
>
>If you didn't, contact them anyway and see what they say. Maybe they'll let you register them now,
>although they are supposed to be registered with 90 days.
>
>"To take advantage of the LSA’s benefits, simply register your eligible RIDGID power tool product and
>submit your proof of purchase for validation within 90 days of the date of purchase."

There is no requirement to register any product to receive warranty
service. A proof of purchase, showing the date purchased usually is.
Registration may be used to show proof of purchase (and reveal all
sorts of marketing information for sale to anyone), later, if the need
arises.

Leon

Apr 4, 2022, 11:39:40 AM4/4/22
IIRC the tools do have a regular warranty regardless of registration.
All one needs in most states is proof of purchase for the warranty to
be honored. An 8 month old tool should still be under some type of
warranty.

Leon

Apr 4, 2022, 11:45:10 AM4/4/22
On 4/3/2022 4:33 PM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2022 13:25:50 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
> <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 3:45:07 PM UTC-4, Tex Lawrence wrote:
>>> I have two rigid gen5X saws there around eight months old but one eight months later the shift quit working mocha like it’s slipping every time you try to cut a board so about another one yeah 8 to 9 months later it done the same thing shift clock it’s slipping I would like to take one back to Home Depot or send it in to get fixed but I don’t know which one to do
>>
>> Did you register them with Ridgid when you bought them? If so, contact Ridgid. They will (should)
>> honor their lifetime warranty.
>>
>> If you didn't, contact them anyway and see what they say. Maybe they'll let you register them now,
>> although they are supposed to be registered with 90 days.
>>
>> "To take advantage of the LSA’s benefits, simply register your eligible RIDGID power tool product and
>> submit your proof of purchase for validation within 90 days of the date of purchase."
>
> There is no requirement to register any product to receive warranty
> service. A proof of purchase, showing the date purchased usually is.
> Registration may be used to show proof of purchase (and reveal all
> sorts of marketing information for sale to anyone), later, if the need
> arises.

This is true for the stated warranty on the box. Buy Ridgid offers an
extended warranty of the tool if it is registered within a specific time
period.

In this case, 8 months old, the tool should be under warranty regardless.

Nailshooter, remember him?, swears by the registration and extended
warranty.

He would be the one to complain about unwanted solicitation that might
occur from registration and he has taken advantage of the extended
warranty multiple times.

DerbyDad03

Apr 4, 2022, 3:11:17 PM4/4/22
On Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 5:33:54 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Apr 2022 13:25:50 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
> <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, April 2, 2022 at 3:45:07 PM UTC-4, Tex Lawrence wrote:
> >> I have two rigid gen5X saws there around eight months old but one eight months later the shift quit working mocha like it’s slipping every time you try to cut a board so about another one yeah 8 to 9 months later it done the same thing shift clock it’s slipping I would like to take one back to Home Depot or send it in to get fixed but I don’t know which one to do
> >
> >Did you register them with Ridgid when you bought them? If so, contact Ridgid. They will (should)
> >honor their lifetime warranty.
> >
> >If you didn't, contact them anyway and see what they say. Maybe they'll let you register them now,
> >although they are supposed to be registered with 90 days.
> >
> >"To take advantage of the LSA’s benefits, simply register your eligible RIDGID power tool product and
> >submit your proof of purchase for validation within 90 days of the date of purchase."

> There is no requirement to register any product to receive warranty
> service. A proof of purchase, showing the date purchased usually is.
> Registration may be used to show proof of purchase (and reveal all
> sorts of marketing information for sale to anyone), later, if the need
> arises.

Did you miss this? "To take advantage of the LSA’s benefits..."

LSA is Ridgid's Lifetime Service Agreement. If the OP registered, there is no
question (supposedly) that it would be covered, regardless of what is wrong
with it.

Rigid also has a 3 Limited Warranty that does not require a registration
and in fact may not even require a receipt. However, things can get messy
if you don't have one and they can't verify the purchase date(s) via the
serial numbers.

My point was - although perhaps not perfectly clear - that if the OP has
registered the tool(s) within 90 days he should start with a call to Ridgid.
Further, he should probably start with them anyway because of the 3 year
warranty.

Leon

Apr 4, 2022, 3:27:00 PM4/4/22
I wonder if that LSA is a Home Depot exclusive.

k...@notreal.com

Apr 4, 2022, 4:08:11 PM4/4/22
On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 12:11:14 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
<teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Sunday, April 3, 2022 at 5:33:54 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Apr 2022 13:25:50 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
>> <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

>> >Did you register them with Ridgid when you bought them? If so, contact Ridgid. They will (should)
>> >honor their lifetime warranty.
>> >
>> >If you didn't, contact them anyway and see what they say. Maybe they'll let you register them now,
>> >although they are supposed to be registered with 90 days.
>> >
>> >"To take advantage of the LSA’s benefits, simply register your eligible RIDGID power tool product and
>> >submit your proof of purchase for validation within 90 days of the date of purchase."
>
>> There is no requirement to register any product to receive warranty
>> service. A proof of purchase, showing the date purchased usually is.
>> Registration may be used to show proof of purchase (and reveal all
>> sorts of marketing information for sale to anyone), later, if the need
>> arises.
>
>Did you miss this? "To take advantage of the LSA’s benefits..."

The point is that registration is not required for warranty service,
by federal law.

>LSA is Ridgid's Lifetime Service Agreement. If the OP registered, there is no
>question (supposedly) that it would be covered, regardless of what is wrong
>with it.

There's no question because the registration constitutes proof of
purchase. That's all that's legally required for warranty service.

>Rigid also has a 3 Limited Warranty that does not require a registration
>and in fact may not even require a receipt. However, things can get messy
>if you don't have one and they can't verify the purchase date(s) via the
>serial numbers.

Right. Registration is never required. The company may require proof
of (date of) purchase, or not. I can't require registration. That's
my point.

>My point was - although perhaps not perfectly clear - that if the OP has
>registered the tool(s) within 90 days he should start with a call to Ridgid.
>Further, he should probably start with them anyway because of the 3 year
>warranty.

Sure. My point wasn't that registration isn't a qualification for
warranty, just that it's not required.

k...@notreal.com

Apr 4, 2022, 4:08:53 PM4/4/22
Isn't Ridgid a house brand?

Clare Snyder

Apr 4, 2022, 5:32:50 PM4/4/22
On Mon, 4 Apr 2022 14:26:51 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote:

Don't know about in the USA but in Canada Home depot has a virtual
retail exclusive on the Rigid Power Tool line. They can be purchased
from mumerous "industrial suppliers" like Grainger and Guillevan and
Noble Trade and Motion Canada - but the only "retail outlet" handling
the brand in Canada is Home Depot.

Leon

Apr 4, 2022, 6:04:21 PM4/4/22

Scott Lurndal

Apr 4, 2022, 6:11:23 PM4/4/22
"Sold by Skyline Studio".

So, not sold by amazon; probably a drop ship.

Detailed Seller Information

Business Name:Vitori studio inc
Business Address:
3395 Nostrand Ave 3P
Brooklyn
NY
11229
US

Now, here's the real ridgid store on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/stores/RIDGID/page/E86EB769-A8CB-49E4-832E-70F954072C1A

Note that the real ridgid store has the good plumbing stuff and none of
the consumer grade home depot goods.

k...@notreal.com

Apr 4, 2022, 8:49:14 PM4/4/22
You can buy Woodpeckers at Amazon, too. The insulation supports I
bought recently came from HD. HD wasn't on the "Sold By" statement.

DerbyDad03

Apr 4, 2022, 10:09:55 PM4/4/22
Unless things have changed, Ridgid tools are made by TTI -
TECHTRONIC INDUSTRIES CO LTD

However, TTI doesn't own the Ridgid brand, Emerson Electronics does.

https://www.protoolreviews.com/power-tool-manufacturers-who-owns-them/

Ridgid used to be sold exclusively at HD, but not anymore. Amazon sells them
also although I haven't spend anytime comparing prices/kits. It looks like it might
be one of those games where you can't exactly match model/kit numbers so you
can't really compare prices. I could be wrong about that.

Lowes & Home Depot play that game with InSinkErator garbage disposals. One will
carry Evolution Compact Lift & Latch Quiet Series 3/4 HP, the other is "out of stock" on
that model, but sells an Evolution Select Lift & Latch Quiet Series 5/8 HP. Sh*t like that.
You can't price match between stores. You have to compare specs down to a gnat's ass
to make a real comparison.

Leon

Apr 5, 2022, 10:12:37 AM4/5/22
The point I was making, ;~) not a Home Depot exclusive. There were
several businesses selling through Amazon. You pay Amazon regardless of
who the seller is.

On that note, because of supply issues I have been ordering some of my
Festool consumables through Amazon and they have been being shipped from
Hartville Hardware. I have been to that store, while in Ohio, a couple
of times, well maybe 3 times. ;~)

THAT store is a destination if you are ever in that neck of the woods.

Leon

Apr 5, 2022, 10:14:08 AM4/5/22
Nearly any brand of what ever is sold through Amazon anymore.

Leon

Apr 5, 2022, 10:21:29 AM4/5/22
Well kind'a sorta. Mostly correct. I do recall the Ridgid shop vacs
being sold elsewhere.

Amazon sells them
> also although I haven't spend anytime comparing prices/kits. It looks like it might
> be one of those games where you can't exactly match model/kit numbers so you
> can't really compare prices. I could be wrong about that.
>
> Lowes & Home Depot play that game with InSinkErator garbage disposals. One will
> carry Evolution Compact Lift & Latch Quiet Series 3/4 HP, the other is "out of stock" on
> that model, but sells an Evolution Select Lift & Latch Quiet Series 5/8 HP. Sh*t like that.
> You can't price match between stores. You have to compare specs down to a gnat's ass
> to make a real comparison.

FWIW even Insinkerator sell models direct not available anywhere else.
At least that was the case when I thought I was getting a certain model,
5 years ago, from HD and found out after installing that the version I
thought I was getting was not all SS inside like the one directly from
Insinkerator. I guess they had to offer something better too so that
they would not be directly competing with their retailers.

Scott Lurndal

Apr 5, 2022, 11:48:09 AM4/5/22
The Amazon seller (Skyline Studio) probably just buys them from HD and resells
them on Amazon. Far more common than you might think.

Clare Snyder

Apr 5, 2022, 12:31:56 PM4/5/22
On Tue, 05 Apr 2022 15:48:05 GMT, sc...@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)
Buys them on sale and marks them up - noit un-common.

Also a pretty good way to launder money - even if there is no profit
involved.

A bit like a computer parts importer I knew who (chinese) got 180 day
terms from his mainland chinese suppliers for container loads of
components. He sold the first half of the container for 5% over cost
in a matter of days or weeks, and then unloaded therest at 5% under
cost - breaking even - and putting the procedes into the "short term
money market"(aka loansharking) in NYC at rates of about 1% per week,
compunded - clearingclose to 150% profit over 180 days.
It did finally catch up to him - he's likely sitting with Jimmy
Hoffa.

Leon

Apr 5, 2022, 3:35:48 PM4/5/22
Certainly possible.

But

https://www.plumbersstock.com/tools/shop-vacs.html?brand=ridgid

https://www.globaltestsupply.com/product/ridgid-r7111-drill

Just saying that HD is not the only source dfornon Ridgid power tools
and vacs.

And quite possibly the registered extended lifetime warranty may
possibly be a HD exclusive over the normal 3 year warranty through other
sellers.

Leon

Apr 5, 2022, 3:41:35 PM4/5/22

Clare Snyder

Apr 5, 2022, 3:46:15 PM4/5/22
HD was the only RETAIL source. Globaltestsupply and Plumberstock are
trade outlets - or distributors - and they carry a rather limitted
lineup of "pro grade" tools aimed at the professional plumber.

HD had a virtual lock on the "consumer grade" Ridgid branded power
tool lineup.

k...@notreal.com

Apr 5, 2022, 7:05:38 PM4/5/22
Perhaps even Ridgid?

Clare Snyder

Apr 5, 2022, 9:16:10 PM4/5/22
Notice there are no "consumer grade" or "cordless" tools on the
site???

Leon

Apr 6, 2022, 11:43:05 AM4/6/22
Going back to earlier in the thread, Ridgid is indeed available through
sources other than HD. That is all I am saying.

Leon

Apr 6, 2022, 11:51:40 AM4/6/22
Notice that the top list of Ridgid tools is a consumer/hobbyist grade
woodworking jointer.
And a router that HD sells, the 2400 series. the 2401 vs the
24011/24012. While different model numbers I would be shocked if you
could not interchange any of the parts.

Clare Snyder

Apr 6, 2022, 3:26:24 PM4/6/22
And I never said the pro line and specifically plumbing related tools
were not.

Home Despot piggybacked on the reputation of Rigid brand plumbing
tools and effectively licenced the brand for their in-house line of
"consumer grade" tools. The only places you can buy Ridgid tools in
Canada other than Home Despot is through trade oriented DISTRIBUTORS
or "online retailers" Home Despot is the only "retail store" you can
walk into and but them off the shelf.

Here in Canada it is pretty much the same story for Ryobi. If you
want Ryobi you buy it from Home Despot or online - with the vast
majority of the sellers being American and some of the "canadian"
resellers drop-shipping from American distributors.
If you go to
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/brand-pages/ryobi-tools-and-accessories.html?msclkid=6d0d4034b5dd11eca3eb57996ae36695
it even says " RYOBIŽ Tools Exclusively at The Home Depot"

Leon

Apr 6, 2022, 7:51:43 PM4/6/22
Ok to be clear, Keith, aka KRW, thought that Ridgid was a house brand,
and he most likely meant the woodworking tools and not the pro-grade
plumbing tools.

I pointed out that you could buy Ridgid tools, and "now" to be more
specific the home owner grade ww tools, at Amazon Among other places,
plumbing supplys that offer jointers, routers, and jigsaws.

> Home Despot piggybacked on the reputation of Rigid brand plumbing
> tools and effectively licenced the brand for their in-house line of
> "consumer grade" tools. The only places you can buy Ridgid tools in
> Canada other than Home Despot is through trade oriented DISTRIBUTORS
> or "online retailers" Home Despot is the only "retail store" you can
> walk into and but them off the shelf.

That is possibly true, using the name of a reputable plumbing tool
company, but HD is not the only store that sells Ridgid homeowner grade
tools in the USA. The Ridgid vacs have always been available at a
multitude of tool stores.

https://www.acmetools.com/ridgid/vacuums/?oci=ridgid-vacuums

And there appear to be walk in stores for Acmetools. Tthey have a
location locator on their web site.

In the Houston area there is a outlet mall that had a tool store that
sold both Ryobi and Ridgid woodworking power tools along with many other
brands. FWIW I bought my first Ryobi AP10 bench top planer from a local
tool dealer in Houston.
And while in Canada things may be different, the same is apparently not
so in the USA. Ryobi too can be bought through Amazon now and unlike
the Ridgid ww tools Ryobi appears to not be sold through some one that
might be buying and reselling on Amazon.

> Here in Canada it is pretty much the same story for Ryobi. If you
> want Ryobi you buy it from Home Despot or online - with the vast
> majority of the sellers being American and some of the "canadian"
> resellers drop-shipping from American distributors.
> If you go to
> https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/brand-pages/ryobi-tools-and-accessories.html?msclkid=6d0d4034b5dd11eca3eb57996ae36695
> it even says " RYOBI® Tools Exclusively at The Home Depot"

But switching to the HD USA website, I do not see that Ryobi being
touted as exclusively at HD.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/RYOBI/N-5yc1vZm5d?NCNI-5&searchRedirect=ryobi&semanticToken=300r10r00122000000_202204062322256668249110254_us-east1-qh8n%20300r10r00122000000%20%3E%20%20st%3A%7Bryobi%7D%3Ast%20tgr%3A%7BNo%20stage%20info%7D%20qu%3A%7Bryobi%7D%3Aqu

And again at Amazon,

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=RYOBI