Shaper Origin

Leon

Aug 14, 2021, 9:56:07 AM8/14/21
Soooo my wife wanted several serving dish holders. Those things that
hold candy, dishes, small decorate plates, and or what ever. She found
a design with dowel rods to separate each piece.

I'm making a similar design with adjustable width and adjustable
spacing. Several dowels, 12~16 or so in each holder with a double row
of holes to custom fit/space for each piece.

So 8 bases with 29 holes in each. I needed to drill approximately 232
holes 5/8" deep in MDO and they needed to be snug but not tight for the
6, 4' dowel pins that I will cut to shorter lengths. And of course the
dowels are all a little bit different in diameter.

So I determined that I needed to drill .395" and or 79/200" holes and
good lock finding a bit to drill that size.

That is where the Shaper Origin came into play. No computer work needed
to lay out the 29 holes along each of the 2"x 15" long bases. All on
board tools did the job.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/51377249414/in/dateposted/

k...@notreal.com

Aug 14, 2021, 12:42:58 PM8/14/21
On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 08:55:58 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:
Hell, I have a shotgun that'll do that.

25/64 is 4mils undersize. 10m is 1mil undersize. Seems a stroke or two
of sandpaper would take care of that. A small taper might be a good
idea too.

What happens to the holes after the base and dowels are finished or
the humidity changes? I know you live Houston where the humidity is
95% year 'round but...

DerbyDad03

Aug 14, 2021, 4:15:17 PM8/14/21
Nice.

I did this on a drill press with a paper pattern taped to the board. Can you
say "tedious"?

https://i.imgur.com/ouehBqf.jpg

How would your tool have handled that task? What process would be followed?

Leon

Aug 14, 2021, 4:36:32 PM8/14/21
On 8/14/2021 11:42 AM, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Aug 2021 08:55:58 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
> wrote:
>
>> Soooo my wife wanted several serving dish holders. Those things that
>> hold candy, dishes, small decorate plates, and or what ever. She found
>> a design with dowel rods to separate each piece.
>>
>> I'm making a similar design with adjustable width and adjustable
>> spacing. Several dowels, 12~16 or so in each holder with a double row
>> of holes to custom fit/space for each piece.
>>
>> So 8 bases with 29 holes in each. I needed to drill approximately 232
>> holes 5/8" deep in MDO and they needed to be snug but not tight for the
>> 6, 4' dowel pins that I will cut to shorter lengths. And of course the
>> dowels are all a little bit different in diameter.
>>
>> So I determined that I needed to drill .395" and or 79/200" holes and
>> good lock finding a bit to drill that size.
>>
>> That is where the Shaper Origin came into play. No computer work needed
>> to lay out the 29 holes along each of the 2"x 15" long bases. All on
>> board tools did the job.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/51377249414/in/dateposted/
>
> Hell, I have a shotgun that'll do that.
;~)

> 25/64 is 4mils undersize. 10m is 1mil undersize. Seems a stroke or two
> of sandpaper would take care of that. A small taper might be a good
> idea too.

I thought of a taper but it would still fit relatively tightly and I
don't want to be involved with adjustments, if you know what I mean.

> What happens to the holes after the base and dowels are finished or
> the humidity changes? I know you live Houston where the humidity is
> 95% year 'round but...

Well we are never not in conditioned comfort inside our home, RH is
currently 54% inside, and a relatively dirt dry 65% outside. Mornings
outside are typically about 95%

Leon

Aug 14, 2021, 4:50:28 PM8/14/21
On 8/14/2021 3:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
> On Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 9:56:07 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
>> Soooo my wife wanted several serving dish holders. Those things that
>> hold candy, dishes, small decorate plates, and or what ever. She found
>> a design with dowel rods to separate each piece.
>>
>> I'm making a similar design with adjustable width and adjustable
>> spacing. Several dowels, 12~16 or so in each holder with a double row
>> of holes to custom fit/space for each piece.
>>
>> So 8 bases with 29 holes in each. I needed to drill approximately 232
>> holes 5/8" deep in MDO and they needed to be snug but not tight for the
>> 6, 4' dowel pins that I will cut to shorter lengths. And of course the
>> dowels are all a little bit different in diameter.
>>
>> So I determined that I needed to drill .395" and or 79/200" holes and
>> good lock finding a bit to drill that size.
>>
>> That is where the Shaper Origin came into play. No computer work needed
>> to lay out the 29 holes along each of the 2"x 15" long bases. All on
>> board tools did the job.
>>
>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/51377249414/in/dateposted/
>
> Nice.

Thank you.

> I did this on a drill press with a paper pattern taped to the board. Can you
> say "tedious"?

Tesious! nope I can't. tedious, YES! ;~)

Padauk and Maple?

> https://i.imgur.com/ouehBqf.jpg
>
> How would your tool have handled that task? What process would be followed?

In your case I would have drawn it in Sketchup, converted and saved as a
SVG file and imported it into the Origin. It has WiFi.

And I would have used a 1/8" bit, assuming the holes are at least 1/8"
in diameter.

I did my holes, 27/200" using a 1/4" bit. Because the holes were
smaller than the target zone on the Origin screen I only had to hover
the 1/2" diameter aiming circle over the target. The Origin recognized
that the holes were smaller than the aiming circle and offered the
"helix" cutting option.

Normally you hover over the area to be cut, press the plunge button one
time and then follow the pattern on the screen. Since the pattern was
small, I double pressed the plunge button and the Origin plunged and
then cut, in a circular, to the desired diameter, automatically. Then I
hit the retract button and moved to the next target to be cut. Repeat.

As long as the targeted area is less than 1/2" in diameter, you do not
have to move the Origin, most of the time.

Much easier to do it than explain it. :~)

Finished product. Not for display, just to organize behind cabinet doors.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/51379251490/in/dateposted/

Bob Davis

Aug 14, 2021, 6:43:07 PM8/14/21
Please show us a picture after its in use with some things stored. I know your D500 can give us a great view of that.

Bob

DerbyDad03

Aug 14, 2021, 7:19:18 PM8/14/21
Yes

> > https://i.imgur.com/ouehBqf.jpg
> >
> > How would your tool have handled that task? What process would be followed?
> >
> In your case I would have drawn it in Sketchup, converted and saved as a
> SVG file and imported it into the Origin. It has WiFi.

What if you already had a picture or PDF of the layout? e.g.

http://cribbagecorner.com/sites/cribbagecorner.com/files/template.png

> And I would have used a 1/8" bit, assuming the holes are at least 1/8"
> in diameter.

1/8" works for the metal pegs I bought.

k...@notreal.com

Aug 14, 2021, 7:40:55 PM8/14/21

Leon

Aug 15, 2021, 10:08:24 AM8/15/21
It has to be a file with coordinates and measurements built in. Unless
you form a grid that is spaced as closely as the holes in the pic. Then
each hole could be copy pasted at the intersections of the grid. But
that would be much much slower than actually drilling the holes. Better
to draw and import all of the target points.

> http://cribbagecorner.com/sites/cribbagecorner.com/files/template.png
>

>> And I would have used a 1/8" bit, assuming the holes are at least 1/8"
>> in diameter.
>
> 1/8" works for the metal pegs I bought.

So if you import the file into Origin and the bit is the correct size
then it would be like using a drill press except the origin would be
dead on accurate for placement. You would still press the plunge button
and the retract button for each hole and move the Origin to the
approximate location of the next target hole. It would hone in on the
exact location.

Leon

Aug 15, 2021, 10:10:10 AM8/15/21
LOL, So can my iPhone. I'll do that!

DerbyDad03

Aug 15, 2021, 2:08:43 PM8/15/21
Make sense.

> > http://cribbagecorner.com/sites/cribbagecorner.com/files/template.png
> >

> >> And I would have used a 1/8" bit, assuming the holes are at least 1/8"
> >> in diameter.
> >
> > 1/8" works for the metal pegs I bought.
> >
> So if you import the file into Origin and the bit is the correct size
> then it would be like using a drill press except the origin would be
> dead on accurate for placement. You would still press the plunge button
> and the retract button for each hole and move the Origin to the
> approximate location of the next target hole. It would hone in on the
> exact location.

Almost on the same level of tediousness, but much less stress. Mess
up once on the drill press and you can toss the board in the fire pit.

Could you mess it up with a misplacement or is it pretty much
idiot...errr...I mean wandering mind proof?

Compared to standing at the drill press and lining up each hole,
how hard is it to aim the Origin? Are you leaning over it looking
through a small window trying to find each target?

Leon

Aug 15, 2021, 3:14:28 PM8/15/21
Exactly

> Could you mess it up with a misplacement or is it pretty much
> idiot...errr...I mean wandering mind proof?

Unless the Origin recognizes that it can cut where it is suppose to cut
it will no plunge when you press the plunge button. On the Origin
screen you can zoom out and see the layout and where it is suppose to
cut. When you get ready to cut and you hover over the correct spot the
screen zooms in and the area to be cut changes color, green IIRC to
indicate the locked in position to cut. Once cut the spot turns blue.
Then move close enough for the next hole to turn green. In the case
that the holes are really close together the one it targets will have a
suggested route to follow, like on a long line. On a circle close to
another it picks the one closest to the center of the aiming circle and
off you go.

Wandering mind. If you move the Origin beyond where it will correct it
will immediately retract the bit. If you move the Origin while it is
cutting a 1/8" hole it will move the spindle to correct up until you
move the unit so much that the target is no longer in the aiming circle.

Clear a mud? ;~)

> Compared to standing at the drill press and lining up each hole,
> how hard is it to aim the Origin? Are you leaning over it looking
> through a small window trying to find each target?

Easy, No, you are looking at a screen about the size of a smart phone
and it is at an angle so you do not have to look down onto the screen.
Everything you need to see is easy to see on the screen. In fact you
cannot really watch the actual cutting.

Aiming is no issue, just get close, the Origin will move up to 1/2 along
the x,y axis to correct. The interesting part is doing a spot small
enough for the aiming circle to make all of the cuts, a hole or text for
instance. You push the plunge button and the Origin does all of the
moving by itself. You do have to hold it in place as the resistance
will cause the Origin to move.

DerbyDad03

Aug 15, 2021, 4:36:08 PM8/15/21
Pretty cool. I'd love to play with one someday. No way I could justify
buying one.

Leon

Aug 15, 2021, 5:17:46 PM8/15/21
Well the possibilities are almost endless. And the right single job
could pay for the tool.

DerbyDad03

Aug 15, 2021, 9:34:53 PM8/15/21
Hugs from the kids are worth more than any dollar amount imaginable, but
for some reason Bank Of America doesn't accept them as payment. ;-)

Leon

Aug 16, 2021, 11:59:27 AM8/16/21
There is certainly that, KIDS!

I have seen a floor that was embellished with an Origin and that
embellishment alone, after the floor was installed, would have more than
paid for the Origin. I suspect a day for design and 2~3 days for the
actual work.

The design apparently was in a music room. The floor IIRC was maple and
the inlay was probably walnut. The design was a flowing whimsical line
of music with notes and the grand staff at the beginning. This went
across the length of the room.