Humor: A horse walk into a Bar

51 views
Skip to first unread message

Markem618

unread,
Sep 14, 2021, 11:17:26 AMSep 14
to
A horse walks into a bar and orders a pint. The barkeep says “you’re
in here pretty often. Think you might be an alcoholic?”, to which the
horse says “I don’t think I am.”, and vanishes from existence.

|
V



























See, the joke is about Descartes’ famous philosophy of ‘I think
therefore, I am”, but to explain that part before the rest of the joke
would be to put Descartes before the horse.

DerbyDad03

unread,
Sep 14, 2021, 12:19:10 PMSep 14
to
Very nice...a little deeper than the normal A horse walks into a
bar. The bar keeper asks "Why the long face?"

On the subject of "deep jokes", I heard a joke many years ago that
I still think about to this day. I really want to ask the comedian if the
joke was as simple as it sounds or was there something deeper
buried in there. He was the type of comedian that could go deep
when he wanted to. Unfortunately, it was a long time ago and I don't
even remember who the comedian was.

He was doing a set on driving and directions and GPS's, etc. He said
"You know how they show the arrival time on the GPS screen? That's
not the "time to arrive", that's the "time to beat". (audience laughs)

OK, so instead of laughing, I start thinking about it this way:

Was that joke as simple as it sounds? e.g. If the ETA says 11:35,
he wants to get there before 11:35. He has therefore beaten the
original time on the display. Ha ha, simple joke.

But wait. That time keeps updating as conditions change. It may
have been 11:35 an hour ago, but now it's 11:34, then 11:33, etc.
In other words, it's *impossible* to beat the time on the display
because the arrival time shown, at arrival, will be the actual time
of day. You *can't* beat it.

Was the comedian being that deep or was it as simple as trying
to beat the original time? I'm hoping that he was being deep, but
I'll probably never really know.

k...@notreal.com

unread,
Sep 14, 2021, 7:00:47 PMSep 14
to
On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:19:07 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
<teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 11:17:26 AM UTC-4, Markem618 wrote:
>> A horse walks into a bar and orders a pint. The barkeep says “you’re
>> in here pretty often. Think you might be an alcoholic?”, to which the
>> horse says “I don’t think I am.”, and vanishes from existence.
>>
>> |
>> V
>
>> See, the joke is about Descartes’ famous philosophy of ‘I think
>> therefore, I am”, but to explain that part before the rest of the joke
>> would be to put Descartes before the horse.

Explaining a joke kinda kills it.

>Very nice...a little deeper than the normal A horse walks into a
>bar. The bar keeper asks "Why the long face?"
>
>On the subject of "deep jokes", I heard a joke many years ago that
>I still think about to this day. I really want to ask the comedian if the
>joke was as simple as it sounds or was there something deeper
>buried in there. He was the type of comedian that could go deep
>when he wanted to. Unfortunately, it was a long time ago and I don't
>even remember who the comedian was.
>
>He was doing a set on driving and directions and GPS's, etc. He said
>"You know how they show the arrival time on the GPS screen? That's
>not the "time to arrive", that's the "time to beat". (audience laughs)
>
>OK, so instead of laughing, I start thinking about it this way:
>
>Was that joke as simple as it sounds? e.g. If the ETA says 11:35,
>he wants to get there before 11:35. He has therefore beaten the
>original time on the display. Ha ha, simple joke.
>
>But wait. That time keeps updating as conditions change. It may
>have been 11:35 an hour ago, but now it's 11:34, then 11:33, etc.
>In other words, it's *impossible* to beat the time on the display
>because the arrival time shown, at arrival, will be the actual time
>of day. You *can't* beat it.
>
>Was the comedian being that deep or was it as simple as trying
>to beat the original time? I'm hoping that he was being deep, but
>I'll probably never really know.

"mistress" definition:

Half way between a mister and a mattress.

DerbyDad03

unread,
Sep 15, 2021, 9:14:04 AMSep 15
to
On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 7:00:47 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote:
> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:19:07 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
> <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:
>
> >On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 11:17:26 AM UTC-4, Markem618 wrote:
> >> A horse walks into a bar and orders a pint. The barkeep says “you’re
> >> in here pretty often. Think you might be an alcoholic?”, to which the
> >> horse says “I don’t think I am.”, and vanishes from existence.
> >>
> >> |
> >> V
> >
> >> See, the joke is about Descartes’ famous philosophy of ‘I think
> >> therefore, I am”, but to explain that part before the rest of the joke
> >> would be to put Descartes before the horse.
> Explaining a joke kinda kills it.

Whooosh! You totally missed the point. The so called "explanation" is
part of the joke. It's actually the punchline.

Did "put Descartes before the horse" (put the cart before the horse)
even enter your mind before the "explanation"?

Tell me how the first part of the joke is even a joke without the
"explanation".

k...@notreal.com

unread,
Sep 15, 2021, 8:54:39 PMSep 15
to
On Wed, 15 Sep 2021 06:14:01 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
<teama...@eznet.net> wrote:

>On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 7:00:47 PM UTC-4, k...@notreal.com wrote:
>> On Tue, 14 Sep 2021 09:19:07 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
>> <teama...@eznet.net> wrote:
>>
>> >On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 11:17:26 AM UTC-4, Markem618 wrote:
>> >> A horse walks into a bar and orders a pint. The barkeep says “you’re
>> >> in here pretty often. Think you might be an alcoholic?”, to which the
>> >> horse says “I don’t think I am.”, and vanishes from existence.
>> >>
>> >> |
>> >> V
>> >
>> >> See, the joke is about Descartes’ famous philosophy of ‘I think
>> >> therefore, I am”, but to explain that part before the rest of the joke
>> >> would be to put Descartes before the horse.
>> Explaining a joke kinda kills it.
>
>Whooosh! You totally missed the point. The so called "explanation" is
>part of the joke. It's actually the punchline.
>
>Did "put Descartes before the horse" (put the cart before the horse)
>even enter your mind before the "explanation"?

Indeed, I didn't sound out the words.

>Tell me how the first part of the joke is even a joke without the
>"explanation".

“I don’t think I am.”, and vanishes from existence.

The mirror of "I think, therefore I am" He doesn't think, therefore
he isn't. Few would even get Descartes to begin with.

Bob La Londe

unread,
Sep 15, 2021, 10:56:33 PMSep 15
to
Its weird. I read the first part, and then read it again before getting
it was a jab at Descartes philosophy (I didn't remember it was
Descartes.) It was a small smile joke on its own. Then I realize there
was more and scrolled down. It was like a bonus second joke... that
actually made me laugh.



--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Bob La Londe

unread,
Sep 15, 2021, 10:57:14 PMSep 15
to
A bit of a shaggy dog... er shaggy horse story.

DerbyDad03

unread,
Sep 16, 2021, 10:44:24 AMSep 16
to
I consider both parts of the joke to be a single joke. Notice which part
actually made you laugh. The scroll down is the "pause" for effect as if
the joke was told out loud.

I would not expect anyone to come up with the pun "putting Descartes
before the horse" on their own.

Imagine the confused look on the listener's face after the first part is
spoken. Maybe they might end up where you did - remembering the
concept of "I think therefore, I am". Maybe they might even remember
that Descartes came up with the concept. OK, slightly humorous.

However, I don't think that anyone would put it all together and
come up with "putting Descartes before the horse". That's what,
to me, makes the joke so good. You can't really get to that without
the "explanation" because the "explanation" contains the punchline.

IOW...getting to the pun is the entire point of the joke. The pun is
the punchline.

Leon

unread,
Sep 16, 2021, 1:17:27 PMSep 16
to
Woop! woop! woop! Woop! NERD ALLERT!


Bob La Londe

unread,
Sep 16, 2021, 8:12:27 PMSep 16
to
Yeah, he really nerdsplained it didn't he.

The first part is an egghead joke all on its very own. My wife (super
smart and well educated) got the first part instantly and gave me a
small smile and groan. Admittedly I didn't get much better reaction
after finishing this shaggy horse story.

Bob La Londe

unread,
Sep 16, 2021, 8:15:37 PMSep 16
to
In punance for this terrible word play I waited for a moment before I
said, "37," and she just busted out laughing which goes to show some
jokes are funnier than others.

Michael

unread,
Sep 17, 2021, 12:33:37 PMSep 17
to
On Wednesday, September 15, 2021 at 9:57:14 PM UTC-5, Bob La Londe wrote:

> >
> >
> >
> A bit of a shaggy dog... er shaggy horse story.
> --
Here's a shaggy moth story from the late Norm Macdonald.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxD3pT8C9-A
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages