rail/track saw options

Alex B

Aug 9, 2022, 7:15:08 PM8/9/22
I was looking at an entry level track saw or rail saw (not sure what is the best name) and I was eyeing the Evolution R185CCSX+ as it seems to be a interesting DIY option. The saw cost £90, the 2800mm tracks cost £77, but when I started checking the reviews of the track, it seems to be crap, not accurate. As I'm planning to start doing a lot of DYI and get more into woodwork, I was hoping to get something that is not crap, but also not expensive. Is there something decent around the £150-£250 mark for a saw + track of decent size or should I be aiming at a lot more?

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/rail-track-saw-options-3224763-.htm

ritzann...@gmail.com

Aug 9, 2022, 7:46:46 PM8/9/22
Not sure my opinion is very useful or not. Your price range is about $200-300 USA dollars. Which is what your 150-250 British Pounds translates to. In the USA, the cheapest name brand track saw and rail is the Makita. Its around $400 USA dollars. There are many reviews on it saying its good. Personally, I own the Festool electric track saw. Its good too. Probably very comparable in every way to the Makita. I think the Makita is a fair bit cheaper than the Festool. DeWalt is kind of in the middle for price. It may be equally good too. All are electric saws. Not the battery models. I cannot and will not speak to which is more desirable, battery or electric.

Your choice is probably not in the same category as the Festool, Makita, and DeWalt. Guessing its an after the fact copy made in a particular part of the world. It may or may not work good. It may or may not have any warranty. It kind of boils down to whether you want to take a risk or not. Spend less and risk the quality. Or spend more and no risk of quality.

Comparison to cars. Pay more for a Toyota car. Quality is dripping all over it. Run almost forever. Or pay less for a Kia/Hyundai. Not as much quality, not as long lifespan. You know what you are paying for right up front. And the same philosophy pretty much applies to the track saws too. And how much you use the saw doesn't really apply for the track saws. I think the quality of the cut, quality of the saw and track, will be evident from day one. Whether you use it for one cut or cuts everyday for decades.

Again, I do not know if your saw is good or bad quality. I do not know. You do not know. Probably no one knows. Are you willing to take a risk to save some money?

k...@notreal.com

Aug 9, 2022, 8:38:14 PM8/9/22
On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 23:15:03 +0000, Alex B
<a89f5d0fde0819d4...@example.com> wrote:

>I was looking at an entry level track saw or rail saw (not sure what is the best name) and I was eyeing the Evolution R185CCSX+ as it seems to be a interesting DIY option. The saw cost £90, the 2800mm tracks cost £77, but when I started checking the reviews of the track, it seems to be crap, not accurate. As I'm planning to start doing a lot of DYI and get more into woodwork, I was hoping to get something that is not crap, but also not expensive. Is there something decent around the £150-£250 mark for a saw + track of decent size or should I be aiming at a lot more?

You have only reviews to go on but if they're right? Are you going to
buy another? I'd spend more up-front and get something you know will
do the job you want.

I have Festool, as well. There were only two available when I bought
mine and not enough difference in price to do anything else but buy
the Festool. Festool is about 4-5x what you're looking to pay so it's
certainly not for you. The middle of the pack may be more what you're
looking for. I don't know what brands are available to you but I'd
think long and hard about settling for anything less than what will
work for you for years. You _don't_ want to make this purchase again.

Markem618

Aug 9, 2022, 8:59:29 PM8/9/22
On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 23:15:03 +0000, Alex B

Markem618

Aug 9, 2022, 9:02:47 PM8/9/22
On Tue, 09 Aug 2022 23:15:03 +0000, Alex B
<a89f5d0fde0819d4...@example.com> wrote:

>I was looking at an entry level track saw or rail saw (not sure what is the best name) and I was eyeing the Evolution R185CCSX+ as it seems to be a interesting DIY option.

At your price point I think you might want to look at used tool
market, not sure about where to look as I am in the US. Pawnshops
though are usually a good place to look.

Leon

Aug 10, 2022, 12:47:03 PM8/10/22
On 8/9/2022 6:15 PM, Alex B wrote:
> I was looking at an entry level track saw or rail saw (not sure what is
> the best name) and I was eyeing the Evolution  R185CCSX+ as it seems to
> be a interesting DIY option. The saw cost £90, the 2800mm tracks cost
> £77, but when I started checking the reviews of the track, it seems to
> be crap, not accurate. As I'm planning to start doing a lot of DYI and
> get more into woodwork, I was hoping to get something that is not crap,
> but also not expensive. Is there something decent around the £150-£250
> mark for a saw + track of decent size or should I be aiming at a lot more?

Check YouTube for reviews.

BUT I do not trust reviews that are made a few weeks/months after the
purchase. I trust reviews after the product has been used 2+ years.

But,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tfj5e4e1XRU

Dan Lawson

Aug 26, 2022, 8:07:02 AM8/26/22
I bought a Grizzly track saw and it worked well (building cabinets) for the price.

k...@notreal.com

Aug 26, 2022, 9:39:50 AM8/26/22
It looks like Grizzly is just a Kreg retailer. Did they have their own
at one time?

Leon

Aug 26, 2022, 12:18:35 PM8/26/22
IIRC Grizzly had a track saw before Kreg.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-6-1-4-track-saw-master-pack/t25552

BUT apparently it now discontinued and other brands have replace the
Grizzly brand.

DerbyDad03

Aug 26, 2022, 2:08:56 PM8/26/22
One would think (that one being me) that if they had the forethought and resources
to update that page with "Discontinued" notices, they could have easily added a path
to other options.

It wouldn't even have to be product specific. Just a link that uses their own
search engine would be helpful. Draw the customer in by making it simple.

"Click _here_ for other options" where _here_ resolves to:

https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=trac+saw

Leon

Aug 26, 2022, 2:58:11 PM8/26/22
They are not Festool. ;~)

k...@notreal.com

Aug 26, 2022, 10:51:16 PM8/26/22
On Fri, 26 Aug 2022 11:18:26 -0500, Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet>
wrote:
That looks a lot like the Kreg. Is it just a different color?

Michael

Aug 26, 2022, 11:47:48 PM8/26/22
On Tuesday, August 9, 2022 at 6:15:08 PM UTC-5, Alex B wrote:
I know only Makita. I used it tonight. I have zero complaints. It breaks down sheets with easy and accuracy. I'm sure all good ones do.

Leon

Aug 27, 2022, 12:10:42 PM8/27/22
It is a Kreg.