fanatic cross 100

MituPo

Aug 4, 2001, 5:19:59 AM8/4/01
anyone got any comments on this board? am looking to update and need
something that is good for cruising around on with a 6-6.5 (needs to be
decent upwind) and general throwing around with a 5.5 down.

thanks :-)

Taavi Tiirik

Aug 4, 2001, 6:16:50 AM8/4/01
> anyone got any comments on this board? am looking to update and need
> something that is good for cruising around on with a 6-6.5 (needs to be
> decent upwind) and general throwing around with a 5.5 down.

I would not definitely want to scare you away from this board... just
sharing my impressions. I felt it to be just a bit too big in 5.4
conditions.
It may be because of my weight (64kg) or technique but I changed to
a sligtly lighter 100l board after couple of months.

with best wishes,
Taavi

Taavi Tiirik

Aug 4, 2001, 7:40:44 AM8/4/01
> It may be because of my weight (64kg) or technique but I changed to
> a sligtly lighter 100l board after couple of months.

Oh no.. Truly sorry for this. My story was about fanatic cross 110.

with best regards,
Taavi

Endo

Aug 4, 2001, 11:01:11 AM8/4/01
Take a look at the summer issue of Windsport Magazine. They do a good
review of all the new 105 litre boards.

Just about all of them are now oriented towards freestyle (wider, lots
of pop). The Cross 100 is one of the few more freeride oriented boards
but it is still a good crossover board to freestyle (as the name
implies). They say the strap system is pretty sweet.

Of the freeride type 105 litre boards, I'd pick the Naish Freeride
8'9" (sweet looking and more of a traditional narrower freeride
shape).

In my opinion, these "slightly larger" freeride boards like the Naish
are the best of the new shapes. While most people drool over photos of
the freestyle boards getting air, when they buy these new wider boards
for freeriding to replace their old slalom board, they are in for a
surprise! They require a change in riding style (as both myself and JW
have mentioned after buying new Carve boards). You need to pay more
attention to keep these short boards going in a straight line. Also,
you need to develop soft knees to keep from getting airborn off every
piece of chop. Basically, you can't relax as much unless you sail in
very flat conditions. While they carve nicely in the flat stuff, if
you try to carve a jibe in chop, you can expect a bumpy ride if you
hang back on the tail like a traditonal freeride board.

If, on the other hand, you WANT to get some MEGA air you could try the
following boards: (but keep in mind they are WAY different then the
Cross or Naish in the sense that they'll pop off anything bigger than
a ripple.

Maui Project Style L (unbelievable airtime but take smore skill to
ride).

Bic Tabout 3S Med (radical shape, crazy air, not a great straight line
board).

My advice is, be honest about what you are looking for in a board.
Many people are solid freeride BAF types who dream of being a
freestyler. If you fit this description, you will be disappointed if
you buy a new wide midsized board and expect to sail it well without
some initial frustration and changes in technique.

Endo

WIND WARRIOR

Aug 4, 2001, 6:31:45 PM8/4/01
If you had to change your riding style for the Carve then it probably wasn't
correct in the first place. I am sailing a Carve 111 in everything from bump
& jump conditions to very heavy chop and it rides very smooth with no change
in riding style from my custom glass boards. If you check out the German
magazine SURF, the Fanatic Cross boards blow away everything else in every
category, waves, speed, turning and freestyle. I have sailed them all and
was impressed with the Fanatics, but the Carve series just cant be beat.
"Endo" <sws...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

MituPo

Aug 5, 2001, 3:47:37 AM8/5/01
thanks for that.

not too interested in freestyle just yet. i had my most fun sailing around
different bays and to certain spots so i'm more interested with the upwind
performance and general ease of sailing (mixed with the option of a bit of
freestyle on the side). i get more of a buzz from a good powerful carve
gybe than from jumping. would you say it (the cross) meets that
description/brief?

thanks again :-)

Wind warrior

Aug 5, 2001, 6:56:22 AM8/5/01
Yes it does!!!

"MituPo" <mit...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Joshua W

Oct 8, 2022, 5:02:03 AM10/8/22
Is a Naish 8'9" a 105L? I just bought it and I'm a bit new to windsurfing (I think this board is too advanced for me), but I can't figure out the literage of it, doesn't say anywhere on the board. A friend has a Fanatic Cross 110L and offered to trade - would that be an easier board than this Naish 8'9" to get going and turn on for a post-beginner?