SF "storm of the century"

Rigatoni

Jan 4, 2008, 2:45:10 PM1/4/08
I am sitting here at work in San Francisco listening to my building
straining against the force of the massive wind gusts. Turns out this
storm actually proved to be every bit as strong as hyped. It is
currently averaging 60 at Angel Island with gusts to 80. All sites
are showing massive wind. I know some of you crazies are out in that
madness. If so, I would love to hear some war stories.

jmcv...@yahoo.com

Jan 4, 2008, 4:34:46 PM1/4/08
I just got in from it. I'm up the coast a bit (southern Oregon) from
you though. Nice and dry today unlike yesterday when I was down in
Cresant City sailing.
Here are some readings from here today. This one isn't that strong
here.
http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/roman/meso_base.cgi?stn=K92s&time=PST
Jeff

James

Jan 5, 2008, 1:20:33 PM1/5/08
Jeff- Those are some incredibly strong wind readings! Was it really
like that where you were sailing? How did you survive? What size
sail did you use, how big were the waves, what was going through your
mind, etc?

From the lack of reports I figure most West Coasters wisely decided to
sit this one out.

-James

rath...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2008, 6:40:55 PM1/5/08
I couldn't get on the water yesterday, but most of the Team Dawg crew
got out. My bud was on 3.5 and 62l... it looked crazy. There was a
little bit of video... hopefully he'll post it to www.teamdawg.org

kev

jmcv...@yahoo.com

Jan 6, 2008, 5:24:09 PM1/6/08
James
I was sailing between the surges, stopping and waiting for lulls. It
was probably blowing 35 to 50 at Floras lake where I sailed which is
about 5 miles north of where those readings were taken. On a 4.2 and
71L SOS waveboard I'm 180. It would have been better on a 3.5. Chop on
the lake was only a few feet high but with that much wind you can
still sky pretty good in the small chop. My biceps are sore today.
Jeff

James

Jan 6, 2008, 8:37:32 PM1/6/08
Awesome. I'd love to sail Floras Lake sometime.

Tsunami

Jan 7, 2008, 8:05:12 AM1/7/08

"Rigatoni" <capi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Hey are you guys talking about *knots* which is nautical miles per hour =
1.6kph or *miles* per hour which is 1.8kph????
Reason I ask is that I think anyone who says they used a 4.2 in a *real*
35kn wind is dreaming.
I say pull out the windmeter?
I sailed in 30-35 twice this week, (as in 30kn solid with few gusts to
35kn) and I used a 4.0. That is me on an 80L board, I'm 210lb and find it
hard with a 4.0. "Average" sized guys were on 70L and 3.7m. They were very
tired and so on after 30min in the waves.

Lots of people talk about sailing in 40kn but they are a little miffed when
they find out it was 25-30 and the one or two gusts in the whole day were
40kn.

jmcv...@yahoo.com

Jan 7, 2008, 11:23:12 AM1/7/08
I was refering to MPH.
And yes the 4.2 was too big. Like I said I was stopping at the side
and only jibed a few times.I didn't say it was fun. This type of wind
is common all winter here at the lake. I pretty much stopped sailing
here the past few years because the wind is often too strong for my
4.2. A few weeks ago we had a big wind that lasted for a few days that
was a solid 90mph gusting to 115. We lost power for three days and
couldn't get out because of the trees across the road. I prefere to
sail storms in Cresant City CA. down the road a bit because the wind
doesn't accelerate around Cape Blanco like it does here. Oh and the
temp has to be above 50F.
Jeff

On Jan 7, 5:05 am, "Tsunami" <nonon...@westnet.com.au> wrote:

sm...@fit.edu

Jan 7, 2008, 1:43:36 PM1/7/08
I pretty much stopped sailing
> here the past few years because the wind is often too strong for my
> 4.2.

??? If I had that dilema, I think I'd either get a smaller sail or eat
more.

sm

jmcv...@yahoo.com

Jan 7, 2008, 5:54:47 PM1/7/08
Not a dilema. This kind of sailing isn't what really excites me
anyway. But it can be fun and is something to do in the winter.
Tomorrows forecast below.

TUE...S GALES 40 TO 45 KT WITH FREQUENT GUSTS TO 55 KT...BECOMING SW
20 TO 30 KT WITH OCCASIONAL GUSTS TO 35 KT IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND
WAVES 15 TO 18 FT.
Jeff

moref...@hotmail.com

Jan 7, 2008, 9:54:16 PM1/7/08
Tsunami:
You got your knots and miles reversed there. Knots are 1.8 kmph. So
40 mph is only about 35 or 36 knots.

Tsunami

Jan 8, 2008, 2:41:16 AM1/8/08

<moref...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Tsunami:
> You got your knots and miles reversed there. Knots are 1.8 kmph. So
> 40 mph is only about 35 or 36 knots.

Ooooopsss I did too.
Anyway not accusing anyone of lying but anything over 35kn is verrry windy.
Pretty much nobody sails in 50kn and if they do it is on 3.2-3.5.
It requires a great deal of skill to rig and walk to the water in 40kn.

florian

Jan 9, 2008, 10:59:18 PM1/9/08
> Ooooopsss I did too.
> Anyway not accusing anyone of lying but anything over 35kn is verrry windy.
> Pretty much nobody sails in 50kn and if they do it is on 3.2-3.5.
> It requires a great deal of skill to rig and walk to the water in 40kn.

We had a day in December on here on the LI sound (NY) where it was
gusting to the mid to high fourties. The local wind meter recorded up to
60mph, but these readings are definitivey high.

4.2 was way big for me and I got spanked; 3.7 was almost doable, but in
these kinds of conditions I am glad if I make my jibes and that's about
it. I am with Tsunami - 30-35 knots is 3.7 weather for me and that
happens maybe twice a year around here. FWIW, I do seem to have trouble
carrying my gear in anything over 20..

;-)

--
florian - NY22