Biggest possilbe sail for F2 Axxis 278

James Thorpe

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
My current set up:

Me: 90kg
Board: F2 axxis 278, 103 L
Fin: +- 30cm (+- 15 in)
Sail: NP 6.5 V8 3 cams

This works beautifully at the coast and on the rare windy days inland
but when other blokes are ripping at our local inland dam with their 8-9
m2 sails I'm slogging with the occasional gust getting me onto the
plane.

I know that I really need to buy a bigger board for these conditions and
as soon as the finances permit that I will. But what I really want to
know is what is the biggest sail I can put with this kit (obviously
getting a bigger fin if I need one).

The answer will probably be that a 6.5 is it. Fair enough, but can
anyone tell me why I can't go bigger and what would happen if I tried.
I'm just the kind of idiot who will try and I suppose I can afford to
because if I put an 8.5 on it and it is a disaster I will be forced to
save for my bigger board that can handle the bigger sail.

I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who's tried exceeding the
apparent limits of their board i.t.o. sail size.

Thanks all
Cheers

PS, remove "nospam" from front of address to reply personally.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James Thorpe tho...@aqua.ccwr.ac.za
User Consultant http://www.ccwr.ac.za/ccwr/users/thorpe
CCWR
+27 33 2605174

Loic Mulder

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
In article <38746682...@aqua.ccwr.ac.za>, James Thorpe

<nospam...@aqua.ccwr.ac.za> writes:
|> My current set up:
|>
|> Me: 90kg
|> Board: F2 axxis 278, 103 L
|> Fin: +- 30cm (+- 15 in)
|> Sail: NP 6.5 V8 3 cams
|>
|> This works beautifully at the coast and on the rare windy days inland
|> but when other blokes are ripping at our local inland dam with their 8-9
|> m2 sails I'm slogging with the occasional gust getting me onto the
|> plane.
|>
|> I know that I really need to buy a bigger board for these conditions and
|> as soon as the finances permit that I will. But what I really want to
|> know is what is the biggest sail I can put with this kit (obviously
|> getting a bigger fin if I need one).

Buying a sail bigger than 7m2 wouldn't be the most useful way to spend money.
The board, which isn't wide enough to put more than 7, would be unusable, even
with a deeper fin. Moreover, having both a 6.5 and 7 isn't really fair, so
forget about a bigger sail on your axxis, or go on with a new bigger board which
will fit with a big sail as a 8m2

L.M.

Steven Slaby

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00

James Thorpe (nospam...@aqua.ccwr.ac.za) writes:
> My current set up:
>
> Me: 90kg
> Board: F2 axxis 278, 103 L
> Fin: +- 30cm (+- 15 in)
> Sail: NP 6.5 V8 3 cams
>
> But what I really want to
> know is what is the biggest sail I can put with this kit (obviously
> getting a bigger fin if I need one).

While its not the identical board, one local sails a Fanatic Bee 274
(103L) with a 7.4 (NP Supersonic) comfortably in light winds. I assume he
has no problems with it since he was out on it quite a bit during the summer.

Steve.

--
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is
that it has never tried to contact us" (Bill Watterson)

Mendota767

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
I weigh 72kg and on my Screamer 277 with 103 ltrs of float sailed with a 7.5
pyro all the time. Now granted it would work better with a larger board but if
thats all you have it will work, its just not balanced as well. It is better
than sitting on the beach. I even hit 28 mph( 24 kts, 48 kph) with this setup.
Dave

Sten Larsson

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
James,

I'm using my 278 Axxis with a 7.5 (World Sails T2 - two cambers, specs at
http://www.sailworld.com/Taylor%20T-2.htm). My 6.5 (NP V8) is better, but
using the 7.5 beats sitting on the beach.

I like the 7.5 best with a large fin - I use a 42cm Curting CR7 racing fin.
It is much better than the my 36 cm Concrete Wave Freeride Slalom.

My weight is 75 kg.

The only bad thing I experienced is that the wind is usually unreliable when
I need the 7.5, so unless you're good at uphaul or the water is quite
shallow, I would recommend against it. I have only used the Axxis - 7.5
combination on the sound side at Hatteras where the water is waist deep. At
home, I'm always using my Equipe under the same conditions.

/sten

bibi lolo

Apr 23, 2021, 6:22:52 AM4/23/21
Hi everybody
I used it with the 7.8 sail sold with Bic Techno
Extrem conditions, but it was working :-)
Bye