More info sought from old timers

Marc Rosen

Jul 31, 2004, 8:45:01 PM7/31/04
... or from those with old time knowledge.
Today at my local lake I saw a guy sailing a Kerma Osprey that was in
very good - to great - condition. It had "H. Sweitzer" (sp?) on the
side and a series of numbers that I took for a date stanp behind the
rear footstrap.
Those numbers were "6 600085".
Can anyone tell me when Kerma's were made and if this could be an '85?
I'm not interested in buying it, but I find it interesting when old
boards show up at the beach, especially when they are in such great
shape.
The owner said he saw it hanging from an utility pole with a for sale
sign - $10 - on it and said he could not pass it up. It's his only
board and he just loves it. I was glad to see him so hooked.
Read you all later,
Marc

Ray Kuntz

Jul 31, 2004, 8:58:09 PM7/31/04
Marc,
Kerma was distributed by Sailboard Warehouse in the 80's, maybe the 85
in the ser # is the year of mfg.., made in Europe somewhere.
Ray

Marc Rosen

Aug 1, 2004, 7:40:32 AM8/1/04
Ray Kuntz <rku...@ndak.net> wrote in message news:<10gofs1...@corp.supernews.com>...

> Marc,
> Kerma was distributed by Sailboard Warehouse in the 80's, maybe the 85
> in the ser # is the year of mfg.., made in Europe somewhere.
> Ray

Hello Ray,
Thanks for that. It also stated that it was made in France and its
appearance looked like some older BICs I've seen. Was BIC making
boards that early or where they also manufacturing them under
different brand names? Also, the daggerboard cassette was
manufactured in Germany.

Marc

wsurfn

Aug 1, 2004, 10:55:38 AM8/1/04
It had "H. Sweitzer" (sp?) on the
> > side

My guess it said at one time "licensed by Hoyle Schweitzer". Some
companies payed the license fee and displayed it on their boards, and
some did not and fought him in the courts.

Anybody remember who fought it and won?

Mark

Alan White

Aug 1, 2004, 7:41:40 PM8/1/04
duck...@qis.net (Marc Rosen) wrote in message news:<7763f27b.04073...@posting.google.com>...

> The owner said he saw it hanging from an utility pole with a for sale
> sign - $10 - on it and said he could not pass it up. It's his only
> board and he just loves it. I was glad to see him so hooked.
> Read you all later,
> Marc

SSSHHHH! Don't tell him he's not supposed to like those old clunkers!

Alan

Tod Page

Jan 14, 2023, 1:56:22 AM1/14/23
worst board ever made!