Grupos de Google ya no admite publicaciones ni suscripciones nuevas de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue visible.

CT windsurf areas

251 vistas
Ir al primer mensaje no leído

winds...@gmail.com

no leída,
21 oct 2008, 11:57:21 p.m.21/10/2008
para
Recommendations on areas to go along the Connecticut coast? Dan
Howitt.
Se borró el mensaje

John Gullotti

no leída,
23 oct 2008, 8:16:05 p.m.23/10/2008
para
Well, my vote is all the way east at the Barn Island boat launch. It's a
nice spot with easy access and great conditions on anything except Northwest
and even then it's sometimes doable. The best conditions are southwest to
west especially on an outgoing tide when the slot between Sandy Point (an
island) and Napa Tree Point can have a sweet chop. People who like waves
can work their way upwind and outside to sail off the western end of Napa
Tree and flat water is available in the lee of Sandy Point. There's a core
group of people who sail there whenever it's windy. Rigging is easy in the
beachgrass, in the paved parking lot or on a patch of gravel by the kayak
launch. We regularly get people from southeastern and central connecticut.
For me, it helps that I live right nearby. I wish it were windier; this
summer was particularly dead. There's a curious setup that prevents warm
damp wind from the south from reaching the surface. If there's any chance
of a stagnant boundary layer it'll shut off the wind. But by the same
token, when the wind shifts from the northwest to the west, it sets up a
pumping action that gets us a smoking westerly with wind shooting down Long
Island Sound that's simply awesome by the time it gets to Stonington.

There's boat traffic in the summer, but it's not too bad. Most of it is in
the channel which is easily avoided.

It's easy to find. Off Interstate 95 at exit 91, follow Pequot Trail to
Farmholme Rd and take the right all the way to the tee intersection at Rte 1
then a right to the set of lights at Greenhaven Rd (left) and a quick right
onto Palmer Neck Rd. From Farmholme it's a quick right, left, right and
straight on down to the end and a big parking lot. The lot gets filled in
the summer with boaters and fishermen, but when the wind picks up in the
afternoon, there are plenty of parking spots. Sometimes we double up in the
extra long spots that are there for cars with trailers, but that's good too.

Looking like it's going to be nice this weekend. Southeast and snotty.
Perfect.

People sail at Hamonnasett beach and Lighthouse Point in East Haven, though
I've only been to each once in twenty four years. If I'm looking for a road
trip, I'll go to Narragansett bay or the Sakonnet river in Rhode Island or
Buzzard's Bay or Cape Cod in Massachusetts. In the summer, it's usually
windier the farther east one travels.

<winds...@gmail.com> wrote in message

JohnK

no leída,
24 oct 2008, 9:57:49 a.m.24/10/2008
para
On Oct 21, 11:57 pm, windsur...@gmail.com wrote:
> Recommendations on areas to go along the Connecticut coast?  Dan
> Howitt.

Dan,

The following two Yahoo groups are fairly active and a great source of
information on sailing spots in Connecticut:

Best Regards,

John
Stamford, CT.

Dan Howitt

no leída,
25 oct 2008, 11:26:06 p.m.25/10/2008
para
On Oct 24, 6:57 am, JohnK <killeen_j...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Oct 21, 11:57 pm, windsur...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Recommendations on areas to go along the Connecticut coast?  Dan
> > Howitt.
>
> Dan,
>
> The following two Yahoo groups are fairly active and a great source of
> information on sailing spots in Connecticut:

> Best Regards,
>
> John
> Stamford, CT.

Thanks John.

Dan Howitt

no leída,
25 oct 2008, 11:26:30 p.m.25/10/2008
para
On Oct 23, 5:16 pm, "John Gullotti"
> <windsur...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Recommendations on areas to go along the Connecticut coast?  Dan
> > Howitt.

Thanks a ton.

sde...@gmail.com

no leída,
29 abr 2018, 1:10:06 a.m.29/4/2018
para
Hi,
We’re moving from SF to Connecticut and I need to first make sure that my husband has a place to windsurf. I see that the post is from many many years ago. I hope you are still windsurfing and can recommend a spot or two. Fingers crossed you still have this Acct.
0 mensajes nuevos