FootStraps: Heels in the water !!!!!!!

christophe antonoff

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
Hi!

I tried this week end my new Vivace 299 Carbon, which is a real rocket
in comparison to my Veloce 298 ! The trouble which arose was that my
heels were touching the water (especially the back one).

The first point is : is it normal on a race board?

How far my feet should go in the straps (my foot size is fr 45, us 10.5
?) ?

My footstraps have three holes at each end, and I have put them at the
middle position:
Considering the (big) size of my feet, should I use the most centered
positions of the straps (I mean which hole on the footstraps, not on the
board!)?

Thanks for your help!

Christophe

--
___________________________________
| |_
| Christophe Antonoff | |
| -- TeamLog -- | |
| 06 60 74 55 34 | |
| c...@teamlog.fr | |
| | |
| HP-TID Technical Marketing | |
| 04 76 14 97 92 | |
| telnet: 779-9792 | |
| anto...@hptnos04.grenoble.hp.com | |
| | |
|___________________________________| |
|____________________________________|

dubois

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
to christophe antonoff
Christophe,

Avec une taille de pieds de 45 ce n'est pas etonnant que tes talons
trainent dans l'eau. Je me demande si les designers de planches pensent
vraiment a ce probleme lorsque qu'ils positionnent les inserts de straps
sur les flotteurs de courses.
Il y a 3 solutions qui peuvent aider dans ta situation :
1. Si tu utilise un plus grand aileron ta planche aura tendance a ce
lever plus sur la carre (comme une longboard quand la derive est
baissee) ce qui devrait garder tes talons hors de l'eau (si il n'y a pas
de vague seulement !!).
2. ecarter tes starps un peu plus pour permettre a tes pieds d'etre plus
au fond (mais cela peux poser un risque pour les chevilles ou genoux
lors d'une catapulte)
3. Pour prendre avantage au maximum des perfomances d'un flotteur de
course il faut egalement naviguer au maximum de ses capacites et cela
implique naviguer plus sur la pointes des pieds et pas sur les talons
(mettre l'appui sur la pointe des pieds fait accelerer la planche)
Si tu utilise le trou du strap qui se trouve sur le bords, tes straps
risques de se twister et rendre l'insertion du pieds dans le strap tres
difficile.

Francois

b...@spam_sync.com

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
On August 30 1999, christophe antonoff
<anto...@hptnos04.grenoble.hp.com> wrote:
> I tried this week end my new Vivace 299 Carbon, which is a real rocket
> in comparison to my Veloce 298 ! The trouble which arose was that my
> heels were touching the water (especially the back one).
>
> The first point is : is it normal on a race board?
>
> How far my feet should go in the straps (my foot size is fr 45, us
> 10.5 ?) ?
>
> My footstraps have three holes at each end, and I have put them at the
> middle position:
> Considering the (big) size of my feet, should I use the most centered
> positions of the straps (I mean which hole on the footstraps, not on
> the board!)?

Can you open the strap up? My '94 and '95 Vivace foot straps are length
adjustable? I have 10.5ers too and I opened it up quite loose so my foot
can go in further but also twist out on a blown jibe (particularly the
front which gets nice grip in there with Okespora booties).

Ben

--
Ben Kaufman

antispam: To Email me, change domain from spam_sync to pobox.
Attention: Do not send unsolicited email to me.

- 08/31/99

Thomas Degel

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
dubois wrote:

> Christophe,
>
> Avec une taille de pieds de 45 ce n'est pas etonnant que tes talons

> trainent dans l'eau. Je me demande si les designers de planches pensent ..

Fran, can you redo that one in English? I have the same problem on my small
board and would like go get as much input as possible, thanks.

Thomas

Art Clark

Sep 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/2/99
According to babelfish.com:

> With a size of feet of 45 it is not astonishing only your heels > trainent in
water. I wonder whether the designers boards think.

----------

Ian Lane

Sep 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/4/99
Hi guys,
I am a very experienced instructor (10 years experience)down here in Perth
Western Australia. If you are having problems with your heels dragging it,s
due to the following reasons. You are only having this problem on slalom/race
kit, which have the straps closer to the rail(this is due to having larger
fins, so needing more leverage to keep the board flat.)At low speeds(ie just
when you are getting planning) you have a tendancy to place to much weight on
your heels,hence the board rails to windward/your heels drag/the board feels
sticky and will not get planning easily. To overcome this you must think
light and keep your weight up on your toes, keeping it over the center line
and the board dead flat. As the board increases speed, the fin produces more
lift, which in turn allows you to move your weight back onto your heels to
control the board.(When coaching first time footstrap users I always move the
straps inboard if the board allows and use a single back strap until the
sailor is more confident .)
Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.
Simon Cunningham
RYA Level 5 Instructor
ISA Windsurf Trainer
AYF Senior Instructor

Jerry McEwen wrote:

> I had a terrible problem with this when I first got my '97 F2 Thommen
> 295. Against my better judgement, I finally adjusted the straps so
> half my foot went in, which made me nervous when I got really powered
> up.
>
> Then my buddy told me to stuff tennis balls in the straps between
> sessions and that made the straps much easier to get into.
>
> I have since been able to make them a little tighter since I don't
> have to fight my way into them. This and time on the board has greatly
> reduced my heel-to-water contact.
>
> hth
>
> On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 09:25:47 +0200, christophe antonoff
> <anto...@hptnos04.grenoble.hp.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi!

> >I tried this week end my new Vivace 299 Carbon, which is a real rocket
> >in comparison to my Veloce 298 ! The trouble which arose was that my
> >heels were touching the water (especially the back one).
> >
> >The first point is : is it normal on a race board?
> >
> >How far my feet should go in the straps (my foot size is fr 45, us 10.5
> >?) ?
> >
> >My footstraps have three holes at each end, and I have put them at the
> >middle position:
> >Considering the (big) size of my feet, should I use the most centered
> >positions of the straps (I mean which hole on the footstraps, not on the
> >board!)?

Thomas Degel

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
Ian Lane wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I am a very experienced instructor (10 years experience)down here in Perth
> Western Australia. If you are having problems with your heels dragging it,s
> due to the following reasons. You are only having this problem on slalom/race
> kit, which have the straps closer to the rail(this is due to having larger
> fins, so needing more leverage to keep the board flat.)At low speeds(ie just
> when you are getting planning) you have a tendancy to place to much weight on
> your heels,hence the board rails to windward/your heels drag/the board feels
> sticky and will not get planning easily. To overcome this you must think
> light and keep your weight up on your toes, keeping it over the center line
> and the board dead flat. As the board increases speed, the fin produces more
> lift, which in turn allows you to move your weight back onto your heels to
> control the board.(When coaching first time footstrap users I always move the
> straps inboard if the board allows and use a single back strap until the
> sailor is more confident .)
> Hope this helps. Let me know how you get on.
> Simon Cunningham

I totally agree, but:

1) standing on my toes kills my carves
2) I can't move my straps inboard

I have previously kept wet newspapers in there, but I'll try the tennis ball
trick.

--
Med venlig hilsen

Thomas Degel
Projektchef t...@iir.dk
IIR Danmark direkte: 33 37 70 22

Thomas Degel

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99

ed lenox

Sep 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/6/99
to pel...@wantree.com.au
Hi Simon,

How does Perth compare to Kerry (apart from being warmer).

Ed

(Simon used to work in Brandon Bay, which is one of the best wave-sailing
locations in Ireland)

Simon Cunningham wrote:

> Hi guys,
> I am a very experienced instructor (10 years experience)down here in Perth
> Western Australia.

snip

NLW TFW NM

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
RE:"1) standing on my toes kills my carves"

Why are you carving anything on a race board (i.e., a board with straps on the
rails)? Boards with their straps on the rails are meant to be driven in
straight lines, pointing very high much of the time. When you jibe/carve them,
your steering foot is on the inside rail, out of its strap. Ya wanna swerve,
you should be using a swervy board (B&J, or at LEAST a turny slalom board.)

Mike \m/

Thomas Degel

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99
NLW TFW NM wrote:

I'm not on a race board (some people will actually argue that my old Bic boards
are not WS boards at all......)

Thomas