Need Equipe Expert!

Tufarnorth

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
Hi
I am looking to get an used Equipe, but am really confused by the
different "models". Is there an exppert out there who can tell me the
difference between the :Equipe Race, Equipe ll XR, Equipe ll CHS, Equipe LCS
XR??? I'd like to find out which of these is the lightest and quickest.
Also, are there any other longboards out there I should be looking at that
are comparable in speed and weight. Thanks Cindy

Wolfgang Soergel

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00

Don't know too much about race boards in general but the Mistral
terminology
is about the following:
+ Before about 1990 there pobabely already was an Equipe, not 100 %
sure.
+ Around 1990 the Equipe was (re)introduced, along with the IMCO
(Olympic board
in 96 and 2000) which has the same shape. "Race" is just the type of
board
and does not mean any special model.
+ In the mid 90s the Equipe II was introduced, with more volume and
sharper
rails than the original Equipe. THe IMCO was not changed. The E II
should be
faster / better.
+ This year it has again been reshaped and is now called the PanAm with
even more
volume.
+ Another Mistral longboard is the Superlight (introduced in the mid
90s,
not to be confused with the old Superlight from the mid 80s) which was
targetet at a more recreationally oriented market and the Competition
for begnners and schools (odd name for a non-competitive longboard
imho).

+ Thechnology: LCS was the Low-Tech version around 1990, later replaced
by CGI (don't know wether there was a Equipe CGI however).
CHS is the medium light line of the mid 90s, successor of DCS which
existed above LCS around 1990. XR is the top-line, very light, very
expensive
(when new), quite fragile, it's basically a thermomolded epoxy
construction
with all glass replaced by carbon but no sandwich layers.

Similar boards: No current ones imho but there used to be the Fanatic
Cat,
F2 Lightning and AHD Terminator.
--
Wolfgang

Den Fox

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
I'm far from being an expert Cindy, but I am familiar with the Mistral range
of the era you speak of.
My best effort at explaining the abbreviations from memory is as follows:

DCS = Durable Carbon Sandwich - this construction was tough, and relatively
heavy.

CHS = Composite Hybrid Sandwich - was a light yet strong construction.

LCS = Light Carbon Sandwich - was very light, but prone to "little
accidents"

XR = ??? - took over from the LCS, and was marginally improved in terms of
weight and durability. This board also had a tadge more volume (not sure on
that one)

About that time, F2 stole the show with the Cat, then the Mega Cat (lighter)
which had the advantage of having considerably more volume, and could
therefore support all the fat boys who wanted to go racing in zero winds.

Luckily it was then that some world cup sailor......??????.......(What was
his name)..proved that a short board could win a course race hands down in
the right conditions. The story I heard was that he was in a series of
course races at world cup level, when he threw all his teddies out of the
cot and joined the start line with a slalom board. He struggled on the
upwind legs, but then of course whopped them all on the way home.

The world lost interest in long boards.

Den

Tufarnorth <tufar...@aol.com> wrote in message

Sten Larsson

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
I'm not an expert either :-) just want to add a couple of things. I'm on a
Equipe XR (without the II) from 1994. I think that was the last "non-II"
year. If I remember correctly, the Equipe II has more volume than the
Equipe, but they are basically the same.

>> Also, are there any other longboards out there I should be looking at
that
>> are comparable in speed and weight. Thanks Cindy

In addition to the F2 Lightning and Fanatic Ultra Cat, you need to take in
the Mistral Superlight II, which is the same hull as the Equipe II, though a
little bit heavier.

Water-play have new 1998 Equipe II listed on their web site for $899
(without straps) - quite a deal. See:
http://www.water-play.com/CloseoutWSb.html

Finally, if you are a beginner, the weight is not very important when you
are sailing, but will make a difference when you are carrying it yourself.
The downside to lighter boards is that they are more fragile.

/sten

Dimitrije Milovich

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
The Equipe is the older model, both regular, Race, CHS, whatever. The
Equipe II is more modern, more volume, much, much faster in light air
and more fun all around. The Equipe II XR is the one to get. CHS is
more durable, but if you want light air performance, definately get the
XR. I've got one. Great board.
--
Dimitri

Check out the Utah Windsurfing Association:
http://www.xmission.com/~radius/UWA

Wolfgang Soergel

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
Wolfgang Soergel wrote:

[..]>
> + Thechnology: LCS was the Low-Tech version around 1990, later replaced
> by CGI (don't know wether there was a Equipe CGI however).
> CHS is the medium light line of the mid 90s, successor of DCS which
> existed above LCS around 1990. XR is the top-line, very light, very
> expensive
> (when new), quite fragile, it's basically a thermomolded epoxy
> construction
> with all glass replaced by carbon but no sandwich layers.

Small correction, seems i confused the LCS and DCS construction:
DCS (D?? Carbon System) ist the cheaper, heavier technology from around
1990,
later replaced by CGI (CarbonGlassInterfusion, whatever that means).
LCS (Light Carbon System) is the mid-quality, later replaced by CHS
(Carbon Hybrid Sandwich i guess).
XR is the top line of early and mid-90s, as said above

--
Wolfgang

Steven Slaby

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
Wolfgang Soergel (wsoe...@lnt.de) writes:
> Small correction, seems i confused the LCS and DCS construction:
> DCS (D?? Carbon System) ist the cheaper, heavier technology from around
> 1990,
> later replaced by CGI (CarbonGlassInterfusion, whatever that means).
> LCS (Light Carbon System) is the mid-quality, later replaced by CHS
> (Carbon Hybrid Sandwich i guess).
> XR is the top line of early and mid-90s, as said above

Another small correction; I have a 1986 Mistral Equipe LCS XR in the
garage, so the XR was back in the eighties as well.

Steve.

--
"The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is
that it has never tried to contact us" (Bill Watterson)

Wolfgang Soergel

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
Steven Slaby wrote:

[..]

> Another small correction; I have a 1986 Mistral Equipe LCS XR in the
> garage, so the XR was back in the eighties as well.

May well be, i bought my first board in 1988. But the more recent
XR technology (thermomolded epoxy with nearly only carbon instead
of glass) was introduced around 1990 or 1991, some time after
Mistral introduced the Screamer, Shredder and IMCO (which
started the upswinf of the company after desastrous times with
boards like the "Challenge Flex").

--
Wolfgang

Orca2

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
Not an expert eighter, but have some comments.
In my club we have weekly long board reggatas.
The preffered boards are (by our members)
Equippe II aprox 50%
F2 Lightning approx 30%
Other brands approx 20%
The Equippe II and F2 lightning both have very durable and efficient
technology.
The best racers all sail carbon, as they are faster. But they are very
fragile!!
If you are a beginner also consider the non carbon models as they are likely
to give the same fun experience. Then you may also hit a rock or drop the
mast/boom on the hull without damaging it.
Both Mistral and F2 carries very high quality boards from 89/90, but
never=better.

Glenn Kolberg

Dimitrije Milovich <dm...@xmission.com> wrote in message

BDH

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
Is the Dimitrije Milovich as in the snowboard legend
(winterstick)?

Anton

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
> Luckily it was then that some world cup sailor......??????.......(What
was
> his name)

Was it Eric Thieme? That seems to ring a bell...

I also remember (from magazines) those short lived prototypes after that
that had huge retractable fins for the downwind legs. And I remember
some sailors (Robby N?) complaining that the short boards killed all the
tactics and turned course racing into a drag race.

Paulr353

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
hi cindy - the xr -258l of vol is the lightest and therefore in theory the
fastest but on the down side is the weakest and therfore will require very
careful handling indeed or you will be mending it often and with filler and
water ingress will end up heavier! The chs is the most durable and is just
under 16kg
equipe race is the older version with less volume than the equipe 2 - I
suspect that the lcs xr is also refering to the previous version - part of the
reason for mistral bringing out the equipe pan am this year is to strengthen
the 2xr whilst altering the v underwater shape and increasing the sail carrying
capacity - we now race with over 10 m sails
The f2 is a board you might consider being somewhat on the fragile side but
packing in an additional 20 l of volume thereby improving downwind sailing for
the heavy weights - lightweights -under 75 kg - do have problems in holding
this board on to the water in a blow
other boards are the fanatic cat 1999 - which in my mind is a great all round
board at slighty less weight than the equipe2 chs and rails easier. AHD also
produced - I dont know if they still do - a great race board again with only
slightly less volume than the f2 and again great for heavyweights - I suspect
weight may not be an issue for you - if none of this makes sense come back and
ask more questions - everyday isa raceboard day - Paul353 UKBSA !

Karina & Dan

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
Dimitrije is right about the Equipe II XR. I have owned and raced both the
Equipe XR and the Equipe II XR. The difference between them is gigantic in
almost every performance category, with the Equipe II winning them all. The
only possible exception to absolute domination by the Equipe II is in winds
over 25 kts, where the smaller dimensions of the second iteration Equipe
tend to make survival easier.

Buy the Equipe II for racing and fun. -Dan

J. Sollender

May 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/3/00
Can't find Equipe on Mistral's Website anymore...I owned one of the first
Equipes ever destined for the U.S. market when I was "in the business" If
memory serves me, the year of the first Equipe was well before 1990, as far
back as either 1995 or 1996 (I think 1996, but can't remember). I am pretty
sure it was the first year following the Malibu's Intro as a carbon fiber
board (Yes this happened in the 1980's!). The original Equipe was only
availabe as Carbon Fiber, although the carbon fiber technology changed
substantially over time. Nevertheless, the first Equipe was a truly
fantastic board for its time. It was designed to replace the aging Pan Am
board that had gone out of production about 1-2 years before its
introduction. Interstingly, there is a "New" Pan Am from Mistral as a Year
2000 Model. Can only view limited specs. at Mistral's website about this
board, but its dimensions sound eerily similar to the Equipe, which does not
appear in the 2000 line-up...Does anyone know any more about this?

--

J. Sollender
soll...@forwardventures.com

"Paulr353" <paul...@aol.com> wrote in message

Justin Allen

Mar 4, 2021, 6:57:10 PM3/4/21
Hi everyone,

I recently inherited a Mistral LCS-XR. It didn't come with a fin and I'm not sure what type of fin to buy for it. It isn't a powerbox like my other Mistral. Thanks for your help!

Dennis Koscielski

Mar 11, 2021, 2:39:14 PM3/11/21
On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 5:57:10 PM UTC-6, Justin Allen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently inherited a Mistral LCS-XR. It didn't come with a fin and I'm not sure what type of fin to buy for it. It isn't a powerbox like my other Mistral. Thanks for your help!

Needs a E-Box Fin. European Box. I have that board from 1990 and it's awesome. Sailed it yesterday in winds from 5 to 40 and it handles it all.

John Rutledge

Apr 9, 2021, 5:10:31 PM4/9/21
I think you will be lucky to find ANY used Equipe in good condition. You won't have much of a choice.
But then, you can't go very far wrong either, just don't buy one from before 1991.

On Sunday, April 2, 2000 at 4:00:00 AM UTC-4, Tufarnorth wrote:
> Hi
> I am looking to get an used Equipe, but am really confused by the
> different "models". Is there an exppert out there who can tell me the
> difference between the :Equipe Race, Equipe ll XR, Equipe ll CHS, Equipe LCS
> XR??? I'd like to find out which of these is the lightest and quickest.

Janice R

Apr 11, 2021, 10:55:12 PM4/11/21
On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 6:57:10 PM UTC-5, Justin Allen wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently inherited a Mistral LCS-XR. It didn't come with a fin and I'm not sure what type of fin to buy for it. It isn't a powerbox like my other Mistral. Thanks for your help!

Hello Justin .... In case you're still in the market for a fin, I've got an Orca WeedRide 28 cm for sale on Craigslist for $40 - I used this on a (also inherited) Mistral LCS/XR that I'm also selling with two other fins. If you're interested in any of these fins, let me know.

Orca Fin: delaware.craigslist.org/spo/d/newark-windsurf-orca-fin-weedride-28-cm/7305311287.html

Mistral LCS/XR: delaware.craigslist.org/spo/d/newark-windsurfer-complete-mistral-rig/7305307503.html