Canon E series 8mm camcorder problem

AllenR

Dec 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/28/99
Does anyone have service information or access to the
service manual for the Canon E61 camcorder, or any ideas.

My camcorder has stopped working. It is not the main
battery nor the small lithium battery.

It fails to power on. Nor does EJECT work. Seems like an
internal power supply problem. One interesting symptom is
that after a long time, I am able to turn it on but after
about 2 minutes, it dies and will not power on again.

I am reluctant to pay a couple of hundred dollars for
repair if this is a minor problem.

Any ideas? We are going south for vacation soon and it
would be great to have this working again, after months of
non use.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Allen

* Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

AllenR

Dec 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/28/99

J. or R. Tynes---Video Services

Dec 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/28/99
We repair Canon "E" model camcorders. I read your posting very carefully and
I can tell you a few things that may help.

1. Camcorders that "set-up" for a period of time have a tendency to develop
failure of the SMD caps.

2. This model of camcorder has its power distribution on a small board in
side your grip assembly. You might have a blown fuse. The problem here is
WHAT blew the fuse. Given the age of the camcorder I will put my money on
the SMD caps on the main CBA.

3. After checking both batteries and the fuses on the GRIP board you have
exhausted all MINOR fixes.

4. This model of camcorder should be able to be repaired for $150-$200. I
can assure you that buying a new camcorder for $299.95 will NOT give you
same reliability or length of service as your E61.

I hope this helps,

Rex
Video Services
www.repaircamcorder.com

"AllenR" <allen.ritc...@digital.com.invalid> wrote in message

AllenR

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
1. Camcorders that "set-up" for a period of time have a
tendency to develop failure of the SMD caps.

What do you mean by "set-up"? Are you referring to time
needed for internal state to stabilize?

I assume SMD caps are surface mount capacitors.

2. This model of camcorder has its power distribution on a
small board in side your grip assembly. You might have a
blown fuse. The problem here is WHAT blew the fuse. Given
the age of the camcorder I will put my money on the SMD
caps on the main CBA.

I have the grip assembly cover off and looking at the
small board. Found the two 1.6A fuses and these test OK
with an ohmmeter.

What do SMD caps look like? Are these small rectangular
dark components soldered flat to the board, or are they the
short cylindrical silver components?

Of the latter, there are 5 on this board, each with 3
numbers, i.e. (j2, 47, 16V), (j3, 100, 6V), (j2, 10, 16V),
(j3,100, 6V), (f4, 4.7, 50V).

There are also 4 others of what I would recognize as tall
capacitors with plastic casing. Values are 220uF, 10V (all
three together near fuses are same), and 4th one elsewhere
on board, value obscured.

3. After checking both batteries and the fuses on the GRIP
board you have exhausted all MINOR fixes.

I am probably close to exhausting what I can do. Any easy
way to test the caps to see which is gone? I presume when
they fail, they go "open"

Thanks for your help!

AllenR

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
I just spoke to a local repair shop in the Toronto area.
They indicated, it would cost me $300 (CDN) plus tax to fix
assuming the most obvious (capacitor problems).

As a matter of practice, they replace all caps on all
boards.

$40+tax to diagnose and get an estimate.

Any more advice out there?

J. or R. Tynes---Video Services

Dec 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/29/99
1. The term "set-up", as used here, means "non-use" of the camcorder for
extended periods of time.

2. SMD caps are surface mounted capacitors.

3. The SMD;s I was referring to are small and silver colored cylinders.

I can tell that your best bet is to get an estimate....even if a person
gives you an estimate in this newsgroup or over the phone it will not mean
anything until a repair place looks at it. In that case the price could go
down or up. If repairs and estimates cause you grief of stir up feelings of
paranoia I would go get a new camcorder. I think a general pre-estimate
figure would be $180-$240. One more thing NEVER tell a repair place you have
been in a camcorder.....MANY shops will refuse work that has had a failed
repair attempt and would certainly NOT be willing to give an estimate before
seeing the camcorder ( right or wrong this is the way it is).

Rex
www.repaircamcorder.com

"AllenR" <allen.ritc...@digital.com.invalid> wrote in message

jtw...@gmail.com