S-video to component converter?

fca...@gmail.com

Jan 3, 2005, 4:03:57 PM1/3/05
Hi,

I have purchased an ancient-style 20-inch CRT made by Philips. It
sports a "DVD Ready" sticker and by it they mean it has two sets of
video and audio input conenctors in the back: composite video + stereo
audio and COMPONENT VIDEO + stereo audio (3 rcas for r/g/b, plus two
RCAs for stereo audio).

I have plugged my Philips DVD player (which not surprisingly, also
features composite video out AND COMPONENT VIDEO out as 3 RCAs as well)
with no problems.

My only trouble is when I want to use my ancient Laserdisc player on
this set. That player has composite video AND s-video but not Component
Video.

So, I'm in a catch-22. Player outputs S-video, TV has component but not
s-video. Any small boxes out there able to split the colors from an
s-video signal and thus convert my Laserdisc's s-video output into
component?.

Thanks
FC

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

Jan 4, 2005, 9:45:17 AM1/4/05
Just wondering...What has better quality, the dvd or the laserdisc?And if
it's the former, why do you want to use the latter?(I have never seen a LD
player,only english version discs in greece-no greek subtitles).

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitri?s
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

fca...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2005, 2:53:22 PM1/4/05
The laserdisc is an obsolete piece of bulky equipment, but I've managed
to assemble a collection of DVD discs. Yes, perhaps I could convert
those to DVD-R, but it's my equipment and I'd like being able to plug
it if possible. Since the output is s-video, even passing the signal
through a s-video to component video splitter would theoretically give
me better quality (s-video quality) than using the device's composite
output.

Dan Lanciani

Jan 5, 2005, 3:44:48 AM1/5/05

Note that the Laserdisc on-media format is composite; it is not a separate
color system like, e.g., VHS and Beta VCRs. Thus the only advantage of
using the S-video output of the Laserdisc would be if the player has a
better comb filter than the television set you are driving. (Possibly
there would be an advantage if the Laserdisc player offers some post-
processing that only works on the separated video. My Pioneer claims to
do some of this, but I'm not convinced it makes a big difference. :)

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

Jan 5, 2005, 11:11:23 AM1/5/05
That's why videophiles in Greece could buy US laserdiscs and enjoy
them.These were in the days of VHS, and they seeked something better.Now,
with the invasion of dvd...

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitriοs

dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

Ο "Dan Lanciani" <ddl@danlan.*com> έγραψε στο μήνυμα

Steve McDonald

Jan 6, 2005, 7:39:05 PM1/6/05

A DVD recorder with an S-Video input and a component output would
work as a pass-through S-Video to component converter.

Although S-Video equipped VCRs have a lower band of recording
frequency for the chroma sub-carrier and a higher band for the luminance
portion, the signal comes off the medium in composite form and then is
separated into two circuits to be output on an S-Video connector.
Composite-only equipped VHS, 8mm and consumer Beta VCRs work the same
way, but don't separate the two portions before they are output. They
also use the same "color-under" chroma sub-carrier and higher luminance
recording frequency system. You will note that a standard VHS recording
can be played on an S-VHS VCR and output as an S-Video signal, as well
as in composite form and an S-VHS recording playback can be output as
either an S-Video or composite signal.

S-VHS, Hi-8 and ED-Beta VCRs don't record a signal as "S-Video" on
tape. S-Video exists only as a transfer protocol on connecting
circuits, except in a TV set with an S-Video input. There the signal
remains as separate chroma and luma, for processing and onscreen
display. If a TV receives a composite signal, it is separated into
chroma and luma, as part of its pre-display process. The only advantage
of S-Video, is to keep the chroma and luma separate during the transfer
and this reduces the "crosstalk" or interference between the two
frequency segments. This allows for more pure and richer color
transfer, but it's only a relative benefit, not an absolute one.

The quality of the S-Video converter plays a big role in how much
improvement S-Video signal transfer will provide. Most S-Video
converters in VCRs have been very good. Some later-model laser-disc
players have S-Video output converters, while early models have
composite output only. Not all of the S-Video converters in laser-disc
players perform as well. In some cases, if the chroma/luma separater in
the TV is better than the one in the laser-disc player, it's best to
transfer the playback signal by a composite connector.

It appears that in most or perhaps all cases, component signal
converters send a better video image than either S-Video or composite
protocols will do. However, in reference to the original question,
don't take for granted that the S-Video output from a laser-disc player,
converted to component, will look better on your TV than one directly
from an RCA composite connector, until you've tried out both types. The
component inputs on the TV in this situation, may not be usable or even
needed. If you do have a DVD recorder, try the S-Video input and
component output pass-through and then the direct composite connections
between the laser player and the TV and choose which produces the best
results.

There are professional analog component recording formats, such as
BetaCam and M2, that have two separate recording tracks, one for chroma
and one for luma. With most digital video formats, it's all encoded
into a single recording track.

Equipment that has component outputs, separates the output signal
into three chroma circuits for RGB and the luma signal is derived and
reconstituted from them, in the unit to which they are sent.

Steve McDonald