Are 19 micron head VCRs worth it?

kk...@direct.ca

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95

While trying out the Toshiba VCR, M-751 I noticed that the 19 micron
head setting for optimal EP speed recording seemed to make a
difference if the source was free of noise. Overall, I found this vcr
to have a very good picture. Does anyone know of a recently published
review of this vcr? Any comments on this model?

b_...@alphap.com

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95

I think that in the current issue of Video, they tested a similar unit M-761
or something. They did not notice any difference between using the 19 micron
heads and the regular heads.

pol...@hg.uleth.ca

Dec 29, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/29/95
In article <4c054p$p...@grid.direct.ca>, kk...@direct.ca writes:

>While trying out the Toshiba VCR, M-751 I noticed that the 19 micron
>head setting for optimal EP speed recording seemed to make a
>difference if the source was free of noise. Overall, I found this vcr
>to have a very good picture. Does anyone know of a recently published
>review of this vcr? Any comments on this model?

The more advanced "sister" machine to the M-751, the M-761, was reviewed
in the Dec. issue of *Video*. It has 6 heads, including the 19 micron EP heads,
but also has Color Signal Enhancement. According to the review the 19 micron
heads did not make any difference to picture quality; it just happens to be the
case that the M-761 has exceptionally fine EP picture *anyway*. The SP picture
is also supposed to be superb.

katrina ariane

Jan 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/2/96
kk...@direct.ca wrote:
:
: While trying out the Toshiba VCR, M-751 I noticed that the 19 micron

: head setting for optimal EP speed recording seemed to make a
: difference if the source was free of noise. Overall, I found this vcr
: to have a very good picture. Does anyone know of a recently published
: review of this vcr? Any comments on this model?

do the 19 micron heads actually help with *recording*?? I heard it only
helped when doing _playback_ of an EP tape...

also, does it bump the quality up to LP mode or is it still lacking in
that department?

-kariane

| The NoVa Chameleon | "You know why we can't hear anything?|
|"kar...@access.digex.net" | Because there are no things to hear."|
| | --Kryten, R.D.(White Hole) |

kk...@direct.ca

Jan 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/3/96
kar...@access2.digex.net (katrina ariane) wrote:

>kk...@direct.ca wrote:
>:
>: While trying out the Toshiba VCR, M-751 I noticed that the 19 micron
>: head setting for optimal EP speed recording seemed to make a
>: difference if the source was free of noise. Overall, I found this vcr
>: to have a very good picture. Does anyone know of a recently published
>: review of this vcr? Any comments on this model?

>do the 19 micron heads actually help with *recording*?? I heard it only
>helped when doing _playback_ of an EP tape...

Here's the theory behind 19 micron heads as I understand it.
Conventional VCRs use 26 micron heads which result in recorded tracks
that overlap when taping in EP mode. This results in picture noise
during playback when you 'read' back the track which contains
overlapped portions. Therefore, if you have 19 micron heads to record
(without overlap) and also play (without playing back the normally
overlapped unintended signal) you get a cleaner picture.

When I ran some recording tests in EP mode with the M-751 in the
store, the EP picture was surprisingly good, even without switching on
the 19 micron head feature. It was even better WITH the 19 micron head
activated. I don't think it is unreasonable to say that EP with 19
micron heads on the Toshiba rivals that of some other VCRs in SP mode.
Therefore, I wouldn't even bother with LP speed. However, you should
judge for yourself by running your own in-store test...this is the
only way to shop for a VCR.

So far, I've only read good things about picture quality from the V3
series of VCR's from Toshiba.

mail.m...@gmail.com

Dec 29, 2019, 2:59:06 PM12/29/19
On Friday, December 29, 1995 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, kk...@direct.ca wrote:
> While trying out the Toshiba VCR, M-751 I noticed that the 19 micron
> head setting for optimal EP speed recording seemed to make a
> difference if the source was free of noise. Overall, I found this vcr
> to have a very good picture. Does anyone know of a recently published
> review of this vcr? Any comments on this model?

I found this post on accident looking up what 19 micron heads was for the VCR I have. Happy anniversary of this post.

Shams

Oct 15, 2021, 11:50:33 PM10/15/21
this was very helpful! I was googling this at no avail! Thanks for sharing people from another time! I miss the 1990s, no pandemic, more peaceful better world in general I think.