What's Chace Surround Stereo?

Bob Niland

Jan 24, 1991, 10:11:59 AM1/24/91
re: > Has anyone noticed that the new laserdisc release of _The Planet of
> the Apes_ says on the back of the jacket "Chace Surround Stereo"? Now
> what the heck is that? It didn't sound very good when decoded with
> Dolby Pro-logic circuitry.

Chace is the name of the guy who developed the process. As I recall, it is
both a noise elimination process for restoring older soundtracks and a
mono->stereo->surround synthesis process. Another title which has been
chaced is "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

Chances are that a title with a "Chace" credit was originally mono.

Regards, Hewlett-Packard
Bob Niland Internet: r...@FC.HP.COM 3404 East Harmony Road
UUCP: [hplabs|hpfcse]!hpfcrjn!rjn Ft Collins CO 80525-9599

Jim Sheppard

Jan 24, 1991, 6:28:19 AM1/24/91
Has anyone noticed that the new laserdisc release of _The Planet of the
Apes_ says on the back of the jacket "Chace Surround Stereo"? Now what
the heck is that? It didn't sound very good when decoded with Dolby Pro-logic
circuitry.

YALDM (Yet Another LaserDisc Mystery)

Jim Sheppard (ji...@hpfcmgw.FC.HP.com)
The Hewlett-Packard Company
Fort Collins, Colorado USA

Jim Sheppard

Jan 24, 1991, 11:17:58 PM1/24/91
r...@hpfcso.HP.COM (Bob Niland) writes:
>> Has anyone noticed that the new laserdisc release of _The Planet of
>> the Apes_ says on the back of the jacket "Chace Surround Stereo"? Now
>> what the heck is that? It didn't sound very good when decoded with
>> Dolby Pro-logic circuitry.
>
> Chace is the name of the guy who developed the process. As I recall, it is
> both a noise elimination process for restoring older soundtracks and a
> mono->stereo->surround synthesis process. Another title which has been
> chaced is "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

I'm holding my copy of the "stereo" _The Day the Earth Stood Still_ (CBS Fox
1011-80) in my grubby paw right now and I can't find the word Chace anywhere
on here. Did you read that somewhere?

> Chances are that a title with a "Chace" credit was originally mono.

Both PotA and DtESS have been sonic dissappointments.

George Lambert

Jan 28, 1991, 12:12:29 PM1/28/91

I haven't seen Planet/Apes, but Day/Still sounds pretty good to my ears.

George Lambert

Gary Hughes - VMS Development

Jan 28, 1991, 3:21:42 PM1/28/91

Someone wrote...

>> Chace is the name of the guy who developed the process. As I recall, it is
>> both a noise elimination process for restoring older soundtracks and a
>> mono->stereo->surround synthesis process. Another title which has been
>> chaced is "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

Yes and no. Rick Chace restores file soundtracks and has developed a process for
creating a surround encoded soundtrack for older releases. Where possible he
works from the original '3 track recordings' of dialog, music and FX. Where
these are available, he can create a good soundfield with good localisation for
FX, dialog centered and a synthetic stereo effect for music. With this kind of
source, the effects can be pleasing although still sounding a little 'flat'
compared to more recent movies. BTW, given the alternative of some of the
heavy handed 'rechannelled for stereo' releases of a few years back, I don't
mind that it sounds a little flat.

Rocky Horror Picture Show is in Chace Surround, btw.

The effect is not so good if he can only start from the final mixed soundtrack.
As result of the inevitable munging to extract dialog, music and FX I guess.

There almost certainly is some noise reduction involved as the earlier post
suggests. There may be some re-equalization as well, especially if is starting
from final soundtracks that would have been equalized for theater use (the
Academy equilization curve).

BTW, Chace Surround is intended to be decoder compatible with Dolby Surround.

Most of the above is from 'The Perfect Vision'.

gary
hughes @star.dec.com