What kind of satellite system do I have (HTS Tracker V C-Band)?

ric

Oct 7, 2003, 1:29:52 AM10/7/03
Todd wrote:

> Is there a FAQ on this stuff that will tell me enough without going
> into too much detail? If so please point me to the right one because I
> don't know what I'm looking for? I assume I want a FAQ about "C-Band"
> or "Ku-Band"? Is that what people call this type of satellite system?
>
> Please post replies. Thanks.

There is a FAQ which is posted every 15 days. It was last posted on 9-26.

You can find it (in 10 parts) at http://groups.google.com.

Search the rec.video.satellite.tvro NG for the SUBJECT "r.v.s.tvro FAQ"

In short: NO, that equipment is not obsolete. Programming is available
with much better video than DBS.

DRLev

Oct 7, 2003, 1:43:45 AM10/7/03
If everything is in working order you may be riding high.

There are FAQa at:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-newsgroup/rec/rec.video.satellite.tvro.html

More than one company can provide programming, but you
would be able to get some free programming also.

For programming providers see
http://www.callnps.com/
http://www.programming-center.net/
http://www.superstar.com/

There are other programming providers also. They are usually
resellers of one of the companies listed above, but sometimes
they will offer programming at lower prices. Also with a big
dish you can purchase programming from as many providers
as you want, you are not limited to one provider.

The system you are describing will not receive 4DTV digital
programming, but it will receive analog. If the analog decryption
module (Video Cipher II) is still godd you can use it to subscribe
to pay services.

"Todd" <To...@post.replies.please> wrote in message news:3f823d42....@news.west.cox.net...
| My mother bought an old house which has a large black satellite dish
| on top (the dish is several feet in diameter) and inside there is a
| black unit which says: "HTS Tracker System V, Video Cipher II". It has
| words on it like "C-Band" and "Ku-Band".
|
| I asked a few people about this and nobody had ever heard of it except
| one person who said it was a worthless obsolete piece of junk without
| telling me any useful details. However, I searched on eBay and saw
| people selling various types of HTS Tracker units for $50-$100. I'd
| like to know if the unit and/or dish are worth anything or useable
| before we pay someone to take it down and haul it to the dump.
|
| The people who owned this house told us absolutely nothing, so we
| don't know what a C-Band satellite system does. Does anyone provide
| programming for C-Band or is it obsolete? What are its capabilities?
| Does the dish on the roof move a little bit? Do you just plug the
| Tracker unit into the power outlet and hook the audio/video cables to
| a TV and suddenly you'll have a bunch of channels like DirectTV?

kryppy@.guv

Oct 7, 2003, 9:23:52 AM10/7/03
On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 04:31:52 GMT, To...@post.replies.please (Todd) in rec.video.satellite.tvro - <3f823d42....@news.west.cox.net> :

>My mother bought an old house which has a large black satellite dish
>on top (the dish is several feet in diameter) and inside there is a
>black unit which says: "HTS Tracker System V, Video Cipher II". It has
>words on it like "C-Band" and "Ku-Band".

My favorite!!!

>I asked a few people about this and nobody had ever heard of it except
>one person who said it was a worthless obsolete piece of junk without
>telling me any useful details. However, I searched on eBay and saw
>people selling various types of HTS Tracker units for $50-$100. I'd
>like to know if the unit and/or dish are worth anything or useable
>before we pay someone to take it down and haul it to the dump.

These are great units, try it out and see if it works.
If it is broke, expect to pay to have it removed...unless someone
here offers to come get it for free.

>The people who owned this house told us absolutely nothing, so we
>don't know what a C-Band satellite system does. Does anyone provide
>programming for C-Band or is it obsolete? What are its capabilities?
>Does the dish on the roof move a little bit? Do you just plug the
>Tracker unit into the power outlet and hook the audio/video cables to
>a TV and suddenly you'll have a bunch of channels like DirectTV?

Something like that.

>Is there a FAQ on this stuff that will tell me enough without going
>into too much detail? If so please point me to the right one because I
>don't know what I'm looking for? I assume I want a FAQ about "C-Band"
>or "Ku-Band"? Is that what people call this type of satellite system?

I hope you get some better replies then mine, if not I'll post some
good links I can't find now.

asdf

Oct 7, 2003, 3:47:35 PM10/7/03
Todd wrote:

> My mother bought an old house which has a large black satellite dish
> on top (the dish is several feet in diameter) and inside there is a
> black unit which says: "HTS Tracker System V, Video Cipher II". It has
> words on it like "C-Band" and "Ku-Band".
>

> I asked a few people about this and nobody had ever heard of it except
> one person who said it was a worthless obsolete piece of junk without
> telling me any useful details. However, I searched on eBay and saw
> people selling various types of HTS Tracker units for $50-$100. I'd
> like to know if the unit and/or dish are worth anything or useable
> before we pay someone to take it down and haul it to the dump.

Where are you located? I'm sure some one here will be happy to come take
it away for you...they may even pay a little...

cwmo...@gbronline.com

Oct 7, 2003, 8:36:37 PM10/7/03

> an old house which has a large black satellite dish
>on top (the dish is several feet in diameter)

Oh you lucky so and so! I wish I had a roof mount,

Loren Coe

Oct 8, 2003, 9:05:08 AM10/8/03
In article <2ef5ovo7k0i85rnce...@4ax.com>, kryppy@.guv wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 04:31:52 GMT, To...@post.replies.please (Todd) in rec.video.satellite.tvro - <3f823d42....@news.west.cox.net> :
>
>>My mother bought an old house which has a large black satellite dish
>>on top (the dish is several feet in diameter) and inside there is a
>>black unit which says: "HTS Tracker System V, Video Cipher II". It has
>>words on it like "C-Band" and "Ku-Band".
>>
> > My favorite!!!

i have an HTS V, and save for ps problems, it is easily the best
for selectivity and sensitivity. didn't really appreciate this
until it finally died and i moved on to a Drake 1724. the Drake
is okay, has some nice (updated) features, but is a distant 2nd
wrt the guts of the signal path, imho. --Loren

Valdivar

Oct 8, 2003, 2:17:06 PM10/8/03
That system is useable to receive ALL KINDS of programming!

"asdf" <as...@qwerty.com> wrote in message

ric

Oct 11, 2003, 4:08:28 PM10/11/03
Todd wrote:

> I got the latest FAQ, and I'm glad to hear this satellite system we
> have may be usable and worth something. I'll have to read about it and
> see if it works before I decide what we'll do with it.
>
> So if someone asked me what kind of satellite system I have, do I just
> say a "C-Band/Ku-Band TVRO" and they'll know exactly what it is? Or is
> the "HTS Tracker V" the important part to mention?

I would say both, like "I have a 100 watt per channel Dolby Surround
system, with a Sony ES-xxx receiver."