Snow White DVD?

TheKeith

Mar 29, 2004, 12:13:39 AM3/29/04
Does anyone know why the Snow White DVD went out of print only a few months
after its release in October 2001? Do they plan to rerelease it anytime
soon? Thanks.

Steve(JazzHunter)

Mar 29, 2004, 12:33:20 AM3/29/04

ALL Disney Special Editions are limited releases that go on seven-year
moratorium after a few months, usually at the end of the release
year.

Steve .

TheKeith

Mar 29, 2004, 12:35:46 AM3/29/04
That's ridiculous! What's the point of that? Oh well, I guess I have to pay
some damn price-gauger $40 for a copy.

"Steve(JazzHunter)" <jazzhunt...@internet.com> wrote in message

jayembee

Mar 29, 2004, 12:42:43 AM3/29/04
"TheKeith" <n...@spam.com> wrote:

>"Steve(JazzHunter)" <jazzhunt...@internet.com> wrote:
>
>>"TheKeith" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Does anyone know why the Snow White DVD went out of print only a few
>>>months after its release in October 2001? Do they plan to rerelease it anytime
>>>soon? Thanks.
>>
>>ALL Disney Special Editions are limited releases that go on seven-year
>>moratorium after a few months, usually at the end of the release year.

>That's ridiculous! What's the point of that?

Disney seems to think that if there's a limited sale window, people
will rush out to buy a copy while they still can, thereby increasing
their revenue in the short term.

-- jayembee

Brian The Demolition Man Little

Mar 29, 2004, 1:32:25 AM3/29/04
TheKeith wrote:
> That's ridiculous! What's the point of that? Oh well, I guess I have
> to pay some damn price-gauger $40 for a copy.

Why don't you call up some of the local used record stores?
Many of them sell used DVDs, so chances are you might be
able to find it locally for a much cheaper price.

--
Demolition Man

One-Shot Scot

Mar 29, 2004, 9:42:02 AM3/29/04
"TheKeith" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message

> "Steve(JazzHunter)" <jazzhunt...@internet.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 00:13:39 -0500, "TheKeith" <n...@spam.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Does anyone know why the Snow White DVD went out of print only a
> > >few months after its release in October 2001? Do they plan to
> > >rerelease it anytime soon? Thanks.
> >
> > ALL Disney Special Editions are limited releases that go on
> > seven-year moratorium after a few months, usually at the end of the
> > >release year.

> That's ridiculous! What's the point of that? Oh well, I guess I have
> to pay some damn price-gauger $40 for a copy.

You may still be able to find new copies of _Snow White_. Here is an
online store that shows the availability of new copies of this title, as
well as many other out-of-print DVDs:

http://www.rasputinmusic.com/albumpage.cfm?sku_num=8693615060

Rasputin Music has a large chain of San Francisco Bay Area stores. I
hope that this _Snow White_ listing is not a mistake. On the other hand,
I bought a new copy of _Bride of Frankenstein_ from one of Rasputins
retail stores two months ago. They may actually have _Snow White_ in
stock.

One-Shot Scot

Mar 29, 2004, 9:45:31 AM3/29/04
"jayembee" <jayembe...@snurcher.com> wrote in message

Disney's 7-year moratorium scheme -- designed to create a buying
frenzy -- is completely outdated and benefits only eBay scalpers. It
doesn't take a genius to figure that this ridiculous Disney strategy is
actually losing the studio millions of DVD sales.

After Disney's hugely-unsuccessful DIVX escapades ended in June of 1999,
the studio was forced to make a painful Region 1 decision: Forget about
releasing its classic movies (such as _Snow White_, _Dumbo_, _Alice in
Wonderland_, _Mary Poppins_, _Roger Rabbit_ etc.) as Region 1 DVDs or
reluctantly release non-anamorphic LaserDisc masters of these and other
titles as overpriced, no-extras DVDs. Disney chose the latter strategy,
in an attempt to give its customers minimum value at maximum price.
Later, heads rolled at Buena Vista Home Entertainment and the entire DVD
concept was rethought: Now, Disney would produce the finest, feature
laden DVDs ever offered by any studio, but the 7-year moratorium DVD
release scheme would stay in place.

Disney's unpopular 7-year moratorium DVD release scheme (originally
designed to systematically create fresh interest in its theatrical
re-release schedule) was carried over into VHS, LaserDisc and finally,
DVD. This is where Disney has made a big mistake: Rather than create
maximum sales of various 7-year-moratorium rotating DVD titles, it is
losing the studio millions of dollars. For example:

Let's say that in November of 1999 Disney decided to release _Song of
the South_ as a Special Edition, 7-year-moratorium "Once they're gone,
they're gone!" Region 1 DVD title. At this time, there were only around
5 million DVD players in use in Region 1. By March, 2000, _Song of the
South_ is put on moratorium and is completely sold out by the end of
May. But by January 2004, there are over 65 million DVD players in
Region 1 and Disney will have no copies of _Song of the South_ to sell
until 2006. On this one title alone, Disney has lost millions of dollars
in sales because of its asinine 7-year moratorium DVD release scheme.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/cemadvdsales.html

Invid Fan

Mar 29, 2004, 3:47:20 PM3/29/04
In article <OpKdnQUgd5-...@inreach.com>, One-Shot Scot
<So...@Bitch.com> wrote:

> Disney's 7-year moratorium scheme -- designed to create a buying
> frenzy -- is completely outdated and benefits only eBay scalpers. It
> doesn't take a genius to figure that this ridiculous Disney strategy is
> actually losing the studio millions of DVD sales.

Depends. If sales drop off to almost nothing after a few months on the
shelves, why not remove it and put another title there that people will
rush to buy? Retailer's don't have an unlimited amount of room for
product. Naturally, if the movie's still selling then it is stupid :)

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

kaboom

Mar 29, 2004, 5:51:07 PM3/29/04

**You'll probably still have a tough time finding it. There are people
who scour those stores looking specifically for those rarer titles.
You'd have to time it perfectly. I spent a long time looking for The
Little Mermaid and never found it at any store that sold used DVDs.

kaboomie

Bill

Mar 29, 2004, 6:13:17 PM3/29/04
"TheKeith" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message

This is simply Disney's way of doing things. You may want to continue
looking, however. At a local FYE store, a few weeks ago, I was astounded to
see several wrapped copies of that DVD still for sale!! Price was very
reasonable, around $25.00.

Mike Kohary

Mar 29, 2004, 6:47:01 PM3/29/04
"TheKeith" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message

> That's ridiculous! What's the point of that?

It's part of Disney's long-time marketing strategy, to keep interest in
their titles high and to shroud them in a bit of "mystique", as it were. It
is rather annoying to many of us, but you have to hand it to them: it
works. It's precisely because many of their titles are so often unavailable
that when they do become available, they become best-sellers.

Mike

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Mar 30, 2004, 6:02:39 PM3/30/04

My ol' Economics course passed by this.
IIRC, Disney limits the supply of its releases
to keep demand and prices high.
Thus, raising the "perceived value" (kinda like seen as
a 5-star hotel than a cheap motel, i.e. a luxury item),
consequently maintaining Disney's stock price high,
which the stockholders like.

But I thought they junked the practice ever since
their stock price dropped from the old $80 to $20 nowadays.

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://cif.rochester.edu/~stanlee/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

TheKeith

Mar 30, 2004, 7:12:17 PM3/30/04

> This is simply Disney's way of doing things. You may want to continue
> looking, however. At a local FYE store, a few weeks ago, I was astounded
> see several wrapped copies of that DVD still for sale!! Price was very
> reasonable, around $25.00.

Thanks a lot! FYE still has them. I ordered one from their site!

Bill

Mar 30, 2004, 7:59:59 PM3/30/04

"TheKeith" <n...@spam.com> wrote in message

Your posting has just made my night. : ) When sharing this information
yesterday, I had no idea that the DVD would be available at the FYE website,
but knew I had definitely seen several wrapped copies at a local FYE a few
weeks back.

But, sure enough, I just checked the site and the title as of this evening
is still listed as available!

TheKeith

Mar 30, 2004, 9:37:07 PM3/30/04

"Bill" <w...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I don't know where they got them--could they have ordered a ridiculous
amount of the dvd when it was out with the knowledge they'd be the only ones
carrying after a while?

Bill

Mar 30, 2004, 10:35:32 PM3/30/04

> I don't know where they got them--could they have ordered a ridiculous
> amount of the dvd when it was out with the knowledge they'd be the only
ones
> carrying after a while?

That very well could be. When I saw your posting last night, I did check the
Collectors Choice Video website (www.ccvideo.com) for that very reason--they
used to deliberately purchase Disney titles in large lots, and would have
them available for many months after the date that they had been officially
withdrawn by Disney...no such luck with Snow White, though.

I honestly thought that finding the Snow White DVD at our local FYE recently
was a fluke, and it never seriously dawned on me that it might be available
at their website for purchase as well.