Why does a DVD need to be cycled when verifiying a burn?

Chaya Eve

Jun 29, 2017, 12:23:58 AM6/29/17
My DVD brun waited all day for me to come home before it would even begin
to verify simply because the tray got stuck when cycling after the burn.

Why does DVD burning software need to "cycle" the DVD before verifying?

What does opening and closing the tray do anyway?

Jonathan N. Little

Jun 29, 2017, 12:40:49 AM6/29/17
Are you saying when you burn a disk your drive always ejects the disk
after the burn operation, closes, then does a read verification? If so,
what software are you using? I have never had that happen.

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Andy Burns

Jun 29, 2017, 2:11:37 AM6/29/17
Chaya Eve wrote:

> My DVD brun waited all day for me to come home before it would even begin
> to verify simply because the tray got stuck when cycling after the burn.

The windows10 inbuilt isoburn.exe doesn't open/close the drawer on my
laptop before the verify pass, indeed, it could open it if it wanted,
but it needs manual intervention to close it.

VanguardLH

Jun 29, 2017, 2:16:32 AM6/29/17
the disc will be identified when loaded. Some drives are broken in that
ejecting a disc and inserting another one still shows the old disc in
the drive. Change detection fails. The eject and reinsert validates
change detection is working on the drive; else, you could go to burn
another disc but it still looks like the prior one was still in the
tray. It also forces flushing of buffers (see article below).

It may also be overlapping code for a batch operation: you're copying
the same image to multiple discs. The software has to know when you've
inserted the next [blank] disc.

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/6232-the-imgburn-settings/?hl=%2Beject#entry125884
Search on "Cycle Tray Before Verify". So you could disable the eject
before verify action but that is not recommended. PCs with optical
drives really are not burning stations. You should stick around when
burning a disc on your PC. You can preload a bunch of discs and leave
for unattended operation for a burning station (they're made for
automatic disc change and multiple burn jobs). The PC software will
encounter buffers in the OS and the drive that need to be flushed. The
burning stations probably have buffers but their logic takes care of it.

You have an optical drive that can eject and reinsert the tray. That
won't work on optical drives that have no motor to inject, like the
slimline drives in laptops: the tray ejects but the user ALWAYS has to
push the tray back in. So you must be there to push the tray back in to
do the verify. Not ejecting means there's no guarantee that memory
buffers or even temp files got flushed.

Lucifer Morningstar

Jun 29, 2017, 5:20:30 AM6/29/17
On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 04:23:57 +0000 (UTC), Chaya Eve
<ashken...@ashkenazieve.com> wrote:

>My DVD brun waited all day for me to come home before it would even begin
>to verify simply because the tray got stuck when cycling after the burn.

Bruns tend to do that.

>Why does DVD burning software need to "cycle" the DVD before verifying?
>
>What does opening and closing the tray do anyway?

Checks it can load properly.

Lucifer Morningstar

Jun 29, 2017, 5:21:23 AM6/29/17
On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 00:40:43 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
<lws...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Chaya Eve wrote:
>> My DVD brun waited all day for me to come home before it would even begin
>> to verify simply because the tray got stuck when cycling after the burn.
>>
>> Why does DVD burning software need to "cycle" the DVD before verifying?
>>
>> What does opening and closing the tray do anyway?
>>

>Are you saying when you burn a disk your drive always ejects the disk
>after the burn operation, closes, then does a read verification? If so,
>what software are you using? I have never had that happen.

Won't work with a laptop.

Big Al

Jun 29, 2017, 8:39:44 AM6/29/17
Why not? Does with mine?

VanguardLH

Jun 29, 2017, 10:13:07 AM6/29/17
Big Al wrote:

> Lucifer Morningstar wrote:

>>> Are you saying when you burn a disk your drive always ejects the disk
>>> after the burn operation, closes, then does a read verification? If so,
>>> what software are you using? I have never had that happen.
>>
>> Won't work with a laptop.
>>
> Why not? Does with mine?

The slimline optical drives that I've seen have no motor for the tray.
The eject is performed by electrically unlatching the tray which is
spring loaded. There is no motor to inject the tray.

Because of the lack of a motor, some burning software (e.g., Imgburn)
have an option to not eject on verify. I don't know if there is a means
provided to let the software poll the hardware to see if it has a
motorized tray or not.

Lucifer Morningstar

Jun 29, 2017, 3:22:24 PM6/29/17
On Thu, 29 Jun 2017 08:39:42 -0400, Big Al <Bi...@invalid.com> wrote:
A laptop DVD drive needs to be manually loaded.