Re: iMac 27/5K + Sony STR-DN1040 HDMI pass through settings?

1 view

Bruce Esquibel

Aug 26, 2016, 7:24:10 AM8/26/16
Nancy <na...@nomail.com> wrote:

> I have an iMac 27/5K running El Capitan connected to a Sony STR-DN1040
> receiver and to a Samsung Big-Screen TV via HDMI to watch HD movies and
> listen to music and although I achieved very good Video & Audio but I'm
> not sure about the correct iMac HDMI settings.

> Videos and audio files are playing through VLC player, but El Capitan
> Audio MIDI setup (via Audio MIDI Setup app in Applications) has several
> options, and I'm trying to find out what are the correct settings so
> the HDMI signals just pass through as they are to allow the Sony
> receiver to be the only device decoding the different Video and Audio
> formats, Dolby, DTS, etc.

I think if you follow this, it'll be correct...

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/howto-play-surround-sound-with-your-mac-and-a-v-receiver-properly.1314744/

At least steps 3,4,5 and 6 under instructions.

If the "Configure Speakers" test works as explained, you are all set.

I haven't tinked with this on the Mac in a while, switched to a dedicated
box but I'm sure those were the instructions I used when I did, using VLC on
it.

Just make sure the AV receiver is in "straight" or "direct" mode so it doesn't
add in any effects.

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

Nancy

Aug 27, 2016, 5:39:37 AM8/27/16

Thanks a lot, Bruce!

I found the site you point to some time ago but dismissed it because it was posted in 2006 and since then MAC and its OS changed a lot, but after seeing your post I read it and to my surprise I see the same exact settings I performed in my MAC after testing for a long time with different Video files and formats.

I have a Sony receiver that I use mostly in “Direct” mode but occasionally I switch to other modes when playing simple stereo files or Videos with regular PCM encoded audio, and so far everything sounds OK.

I was trying to find out what the “normal” Format and Rate for HDMI Audio is, but it seems that there is not a single or unique value, and the 48000.0 Hz +“8ch-24bit Integer” is the right one to choose.

Regards

Bruce Esquibel

Aug 27, 2016, 6:48:22 AM8/27/16
Nancy <na...@nomail.com> wrote:

> I was trying to find out what the normal Format and Rate for HDMI
> Audio is, but it seems that there is not a single or unique value, and
> the 48000.0 Hz 8ch-24bit Integer is the right one to choose.

Just in case, some of these came in handy to make sure my setup was working
correctly...

http://kodi.wiki/view/Samples

The ones under section 3 (HD Audio Test Clips). I think the first one does
the simple spoken "left front, center, ..." and was the most useful.

Have fun,

-bruce
b...@ripco.com

Nancy