Re: What do people use nowadays to put errant programs where they belong?

1 view

Lionel Muller

Jul 13, 2017, 4:38:12 AM7/13/17
On 12/07/2017 13:23, Lionel Muller wrote:

> What do people use nowadays to put errant programs where they belong?

SOLVED!

Thanks to expert help here, and especially to Mayayana's suggestions to
unpack the MSI, the following steps worked wonderfully to "install" the
offending DeVeDe msi where I wanted it to go.

a. Download the "devede-setup-3.17.0-build2.msi" MSI file.
https://devede.org/download/windows (devede-setup-3.17.0-build2.msi)
b. Unpack that MSI using "jsMSIx.exe"
http://www.jsware.net/jsware/msicode.php5
c. Move the unpacked devedesans.ttf font into the Windows "Font" folder.
d. Move the unpacked DeVeDe folder into your desired "app" folder.
e. Make an appropriate shortcut to the "devede.exe" executable.
(OLD) Target = "C:\Program Files (x86)\MajorSilence\DeVeDe\devede.exe" -imgburn
(NEW) Target = "C:\app\dvd\author\devede\devede.exe" -imgburn

(OLD) Start in = "C:\Program Files (x86)\MajorSilence\DeVeDe"
(NEW) Start in = "C:\app\dvd\author\devede"
f. Note that nothing needed to be added to the Windows Registry.

I haven't fully tested this, but it seems to work fine as a general
approach to correcting the errors of badly written MSI installers that
don't ask where they should go.