VHS Tracking Problems... can this be solved?

bryan....@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2008, 2:49:10 PM11/22/08
I'm moving 20+ year old home videos on VHS to DVD using a Sharp VHS to
DVD machine. After I convert the video to DVD using this device, I was
planning on dumping the DVD to PC where I can edit the videos. I'm
noticing that many of these old VHS tapes have tracking problems. I'm
not sure if that's the correct term, but the symptom is that I hit
play on the VHS tape and the video rolls up the screen as if it's
caught in a loop.

I haven't picked exactly which software I'm going to use to edit them
with - I have both Windows and Mac platforms available and I do own a
copy of Adobe Premier. But I guess I"m wondering what my options are
for fixing the tracking problem once the video has been transferred to
DVD?

Thanks for any help.

Mike Kujbida

Nov 22, 2008, 3:18:30 PM11/22/08

Do yourself a big favour and correct the problem BEFORE you do your
transfers.
Problems like this are much harder (if it's even possible) to correct
after the fact.
Try and borrow another (hopefully newer) VCR to see if this is indeed
the problem.

Mike

OBVIOUS.co.uk

Nov 22, 2008, 4:27:19 PM11/22/08
Mike is right. This is something you can't 'fix in post'

Does your VHS playback machine not have tracking contols? If not find one
that does. It might just solve all your problems although if the picture is
actually rolling you should first check the vertical hold control on your
monitor. That might be all that's wrong.

Maurice

John Williamson

Nov 22, 2008, 4:47:23 PM11/22/08

I've had similar problems caused by dirt on the tracking head. Also
because the tape edge had curled due to mechanical misalignment at some
point. The sync pulses get lost, so the head drum goes into freerunning
mode, which gives the symptoms you describe. If the playback machine's
clean, then try another one, which may have a wider range where it will
lock onto the sync pulses. Camcorders are prone to changes in linear
tape speed which make the tapes playable only on the original unit.

Either way, as has been said, it needs fixing *before* you digitise the
material, as it's pretty much impossible afterwards. Try using the
original recorder connected to the AV input if that's possible, if not,
the first step would be to examine the actual tape for edge damage, then
try cleaning the fixed heads and non moving parts of the tape path using
an appropriate fluid. Leave the head drum alone unless you're *very*
sure of what you're doing.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Richard Crowley

Nov 23, 2008, 2:42:46 AM11/23/08
<bryan....@gmail.com> wrote in Gooooooooooogle Groups...

There is no software made for any platform (PC, Mac, Linux, et.al)
that will fix that kind of problem. You must solve the rolling problem
by playing the tape on a machine that will properly track the original
VHS tape. This may take more than some "VHS to DVD machine".
There's no use recording anything to DVD (or capturing on a computer)
until you can properly track the tape.

bryan....@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2008, 2:59:30 PM11/23/08
The hardware unit is a Sharp DV-RW550 - it's only a year or so old and
this is the first time it's been used. No, I've dug through every menu
I can find and there are not any tracking controls. I also don't have
any other VCR's so what it sounds like is I"m going to have to buy
something to get this project going. I'm glad I asked now because I
had already done about a dozen DVDs this way and most of them are
having the problem.

Any recommendations on a VCR?

On Nov 22, 4:27 pm, videoenterpri...@NOSPAM.ntlworld.REMOVE

Richard Crowley

Nov 23, 2008, 3:56:35 PM11/23/08
<bryan....@gmail.com> wrote in Goooooooogle Groups...

> The hardware unit is a Sharp DV-RW550 - it's only a year or
> so old and this is the first time it's been used.

Alas, for the purposes of tracing old tapes, the newer the machine,
the less capable. As you have already observed, newer equipment
tends to have no tracking controls.

Ideally, if you could find the actual equipment that recorded the
original tape, that would be your best shot. Lacking that, an older
machine with tracking controls would probably be in order.

> No, I've dug through every menu
> I can find and there are not any tracking controls. I also don't have
> any other VCR's so what it sounds like is I"m going to have to buy
> something to get this project going. I'm glad I asked now because I
> had already done about a dozen DVDs this way and most of them
> are having the problem.
>
> Any recommendations on a VCR?

Find an old VHS machine with tracking controls. And even that may
not be sufficient. If the recording machine was not aligned properly,
then you will have to mis-align a machine to track it properly. (Not
recommended for amateurs.)

OBVIOUS.co.uk

Nov 23, 2008, 4:12:20 PM11/23/08
Which country are you in?

Paul

Nov 23, 2008, 5:54:54 PM11/23/08

This isn't the exact same model, but on this one, you use
the Channel Up/Channel Down buttons to adjust the tracking
during the playback of a tape.

http://www.cyberscholar.com/sharp/resources/dvd_man_DVR550U.pdf

Paul

ushere

Nov 23, 2008, 6:21:09 PM11/23/08

see if you can find one with a tbc (time base corrector) as well. maybe
a s/h studio model from a duplication facility. they shouldn't cost too
much and they might have better output options, s video, even component
on some of the higher end models.

bryan....@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2008, 8:04:06 PM11/23/08
On Nov 23, 4:12 pm, videoenterpri...@NOSPAM.ntlworld.REMOVE

OBVIOUS.co.uk wrote:
> Which country are you in?

I'm in the US

bryan....@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2008, 8:05:18 PM11/23/08
On Nov 23, 5:54 pm, Paul <nos...@needed.com> wrote:
>     Paul- Hide quoted text -

I'll have to try this and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for the
suggestion.

Ken Maltby

Nov 23, 2008, 9:05:18 PM11/23/08

"Paul" <nos...@needed.com> wrote in message news:ggcn2v$vn8$1...@aioe.org...

That looks to be the right model. There seems to be only the one
DVD/VCR combo the Sharp has with that model # DVR550U or
DV-RW550U as it is on the manual. Oddly the current Sharp
DV-RW550U is a Blu-ray Disk Player. I couldn't find the combo
DVD/VCR recorder on the Sharp site, except when you search the
"Accessories & Supplies", where it is listed as DVR550U under the
DV-RW550U listing. Oddly they also show the Remote as
compatibile for both a DV-RW550U and a DVRW550U. The
manual is listed as compatibile with a DVRW550U.

Luck;
Ken

bryan....@gmail.com

Nov 24, 2008, 3:41:50 PM11/24/08
On Nov 23, 6:21 pm, ushere <removethis.leslie.w...@gmail.com> wrote:

Thank you for the recommendation. I've posted to the Wants ads on
Craigslist.com - let's hope something pops up.

Regarding Ken's comments - yes the Sharp website is messed up. I
called Sharp and spoke with their tech support - they apologized for
the problem with their website and offered that they no longer sell
these devices and so they are not likely to fix the navigation problem
with the website. They couldn't even supply me with a user manual....

eaki...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2016, 7:02:19 PM7/30/16
I have the same problem, I bought new VHS tapes used 2 Vhs machines, edited and rerecorded them on new VHS tapes. Have been trying for days to record on ion VHS2pc, then was going to burn to dvds. They videos recorded great on new vhs, and now on vhs2pc the tracking is terrible every 4 or 5 seconds. I cannot figure out why.
Message has been deleted

Computer Nerd Kev

Jun 17, 2019, 7:58:53 PM6/17/19
ronal...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am watching VCR tapes on my Phillips VCR/DVD Combo I am having
> trouble watching because the sound isn't tracking correctly. I
> don't have the original remote I am using a Phillips Universal and
> it doesn't have a tracking button. Any suggestion I would
> appreciate it.

With a DVD player, that unit would be in the auto-tracking era, so
I don't think an original remote would offer many more options. You
could try using a cleaning tape, dirty heads sounds like a likely
cause of the trouble.

Failing that, the problem probably requires some physical work to
repair. There's a lot of information on VCR problems and servicing
on this webpage:
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/vcrfaq.htm

--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Paul

Jun 17, 2019, 9:34:46 PM6/17/19
My Philips combo unit (VHS/DVD) has two tracking
buttons right on the front of the unit, for fine
tuning. DVP3345VB $150 local currency.

https://images.philips.com/is/image/PhilipsConsumer/DVP3345VB_F7-IMS-en_CA?$jpglarge$&wid=1250

Sometimes fine tuning is required if the cassette
wheels are not true with respect to the head, and
there's a bit of wobble going on.

If we knew the model number of the OPs machine, that would
be a start.

I bought mine, not because it was a "great deal", but because
my good VCR broke, and that's all you could buy at the time.
I doubt there are any VCRs or combo units left.

Paul

JC Boulton

Sep 6, 2020, 12:55:17 PM9/6/20