Jerrold Impulse "F" codes

Hipster

May 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/21/96

I bow down to you, my technically literate brethren.

Anyone out there feeling beneficent enough to post or e-mail me a
listing of the possible "F" codes I can use to see what's happening
with my Jerrold Impulse box? I know that F, Mute resets my
converter's volume to the "optimal", but I don't know what the other F
codes do, other than to induce strange output in my 2-digit red LED
display! I'm curious...I like to know HOW things work, not just that
they DO work. It is nowhere in the user guide I got from TimeWarner.

Can I buy an installer's guide or a shop manual for this box from
somewhere?

Thanks!

Hipster

Mike Scotece

May 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/22/96

Hipster (hip...@walrus.com) wrote:
: I bow down to you, my technically literate brethren.

: Thanks!

: Hipster

I would also be interested in any additional information on the Jerrold Impulse
box. I recieved NO documentation from my cable company on it.

Thanks.

Chris Howell

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

Mike Scotece wrote:

> Hipster (hip...@walrus.com) wrote:
> I know that F, Mute resets my
> : converter's volume to the "optimal", but I don't know what the other F
> : codes do, other than to induce strange output in my 2-digit red LED
> : display!

Sorry you've had trouble getting tech support, I'll answer what I know....
The F key is partly for troubleshooting, and being in production (not in customer
services) I don't know all of those...but the F key is also a "quick function key" which
allows you to do a couple of things quicker than through the menus. If you hit F then
Mute then it changes the volume to the "optimal sound level". If you set the volume
there, then adjust your TV to what you consider the optimal level for you, then you can
always get to that level quickly. Then you can adjust the volume up a little when your
wife runs the dishwasher or down when you're watching Rambo in the middle of the night!
(if only I could get Dad to do that!) The other functions are:
F, then Delete Clears all the Favorite channels. The best reason I can see for this is
that you can recreate your favorite channels whenever. Each time you sit down you can
clear all the favs, then as you scan through and find programs you want to watch you hit
Prog (program) and it'll remember that channel. After you've surfed through the whole
lineup, then you can just keep hitting the FAV button and surf through just those shows.
Cool, eh?

Then there's F, select...which cancels PPV purchases

And lastly F, CATV (could be the ON/OFF on some remotes) which takes you straight to the
sleep timers...so you can set the TV to turn off in, say, an hour...so after Rambo goes
off, the TV turning off will remind you to wake up and go to bed :)

Hope this helps. If you have any other function questions, I'll try to help. As far as
trouble shooting stuff...I have little knowledge. Not none, just very little :)

Chris, the cable chick

Rob path*mark Myers

May 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/23/96

Chris Howell wrote:

> Mike Scotece wrote:
> >
> > Hipster (hip...@walrus.com) wrote:
The more esoteric codes are listed in the FAQ. Here they are:

Here is a list of test codes for the JERROLD / GI
IMPULSE 7000 RF & BB units
Press the following F key & Digit:::

F 1 = Dynamic Diagnostics
This mode permits the monitoring of the descrambler,
the fm reciever,fm signal.
________________
- - - -
- 1 - - 2 - <<<<<-----DISPLAY
- - - -
- -A - -B
________________

Indicator A= on when unit sees a purchasable event
Indicator B= on when unit is addressed over the FM Data
Digit 1= State of the Descrambler<>Digit 2= State of the FM Reciever
C= Clear Channel O= Fm Data "OK"
S= Scrambled Channel E= Fm Data "ERROR"
b= Barker Channel
-= Disconnected

F 2 = Serial Number & Firmware Version

1st Number = Place Made 00=Japan 01=Taiwan
2nd Number = Year Made 1X (X=last digit of year) ie. 15=1985
3rd Number = Month Made 20=A=Jan 21=B=Feb 22=C=March 23=D=April
24=E=May 25=F=June 26=G=July 27=H=Augest
28=J=Sept 29=K=Oct 2A=L=Nov 2b=M=Dec
4th - 10th Numbers are the SERIAL NUMBER

Then you will see the Firmware Versions

F 3 = Firmwares i=Internal Firmware r=Expanision ROM version

F 4 = STATE Diagnostic Mode

Digit 1= r=Recieving DATA Digit 2 =O=Data "OK"
-=Idle E=DATA "ERROR"
t=Transmitting Data (2-way only)

F 5 = STATUS Diagnostic Mode
Alternating Display of the FREQUENCY & LEVEL
There are 16 different differnet Levels (0-9 A-F)

F 9 = CLOCK
Toggles clock On / Off

F 0 = Error Code

E0 = Normal
E1 = Reset Time Out or Good FM packet not recieved
E4 = Illegal Converter
E5 = Converter has default Address-Initialize again
E7 = Faulty ROM or wrong Initialization process
E8 = Site Code Error
E9 = Bad check pattern in Non-Volatile Memory
EA = Invalid serial number ( wrong checksum )

El Bobbo

Keith Knipschild - LI ,N.Y

John Buxton

May 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/24/96

Rob path*mark Myers <myer...@nova.gmi.edu> wrote:

>The more esoteric codes are listed in the FAQ. Here they are:

.. Pay TV is just coming into Australia and one of the companies uses
JERROLD decoders. Where is this FAQ located?

.. John

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

Internet jo...@zip.com.au

3.416 Years to total confusion.

Pete Foerster

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96
to hip...@walrus.com

Hipster wrote:

> I bow down to you, my technically literate brethren.
>
> Anyone out there feeling beneficent enough to post or e-mail me a
> listing of the possible "F" codes I can use to see what's happening
> with my Jerrold Impulse box? I know that F, Mute resets my

> converter's volume to the "optimal", but I don't know what the other F
> codes do, other than to induce strange output in my 2-digit red LED
> display! I'm curious...I like to know HOW things work, not just that
> they DO work. It is nowhere in the user guide I got from TimeWarner.
>
> Can I buy an installer's guide or a shop manual for this box from
> somewhere?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Hipster

I can't find the book.. but i do have access to the codes. I know some of
the codes.. and they are as follow...

F1 = left dig tells you the stat of that channel (C for clear, S for
Scram, b for Baker) The right dig tells you about your data steam (O for
OK, E for error)

F2 = Tells you the address of the prom in the box (left dig tells you
what dig it's showing you 1 to 10, right address number)

There are some other ones... and if you reply back to me, and send me you
home address, I will be happy to put one in the mail for you.

Pete Foerster
Headend Tech
Media General cable

http://pete.staffnet.com

Pete Foerster

May 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/25/96
to Mike Scotece

Mike Scotece wrote:

> Hipster (hip...@walrus.com) wrote:
> : I bow down to you, my technically literate brethren.
>
> : Anyone out there feeling beneficent enough to post or e-mail me a
> : listing of the possible "F" codes I can use to see what's happening
> : with my Jerrold Impulse box? I know that F, Mute resets my
> : converter's volume to the "optimal", but I don't know what the other F
> : codes do, other than to induce strange output in my 2-digit red LED
> : display! I'm curious...I like to know HOW things work, not just that
> : they DO work. It is nowhere in the user guide I got from TimeWarner.
>
> : Can I buy an installer's guide or a shop manual for this box from
> : somewhere?
>
> : Thanks!
>
> : Hipster
>
> I would also be interested in any additional information on the Jerrold Impulse
> box. I recieved NO documentation from my cable company on it.
>
> Thanks.

Pete Foerster

May 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM5/26/96
to Chris Howell

Chris Howell wrote:

> Mike Scotece wrote:
> >
> > Hipster (hip...@walrus.com) wrote:
> > I know that F, Mute resets my
> > : converter's volume to the "optimal", but I don't know what the other F
> > : codes do, other than to induce strange output in my 2-digit red LED
> > : display!
>
> Sorry you've had trouble getting tech support, I'll answer what I know....
> The F key is partly for troubleshooting, and being in production (not in customer
> services) I don't know all of those...but the F key is also a "quick function key" which
> allows you to do a couple of things quicker than through the menus. If you hit F then
> Mute then it changes the volume to the "optimal sound level". If you set the volume
> there, then adjust your TV to what you consider the optimal level for you, then you can
> always get to that level quickly. Then you can adjust the volume up a little when your
> wife runs the dishwasher or down when you're watching Rambo in the middle of the night!
> (if only I could get Dad to do that!) The other functions are:
> F, then Delete Clears all the Favorite channels. The best reason I can see for this is
> that you can recreate your favorite channels whenever. Each time you sit down you can
> clear all the favs, then as you scan through and find programs you want to watch you hit
> Prog (program) and it'll remember that channel. After you've surfed through the whole
> lineup, then you can just keep hitting the FAV button and surf through just those shows.
> Cool, eh?
>
> Then there's F, select...which cancels PPV purchases
>
> And lastly F, CATV (could be the ON/OFF on some remotes) which takes you straight to the
> sleep timers...so you can set the TV to turn off in, say, an hour...so after Rambo goes
> off, the TV turning off will remind you to wake up and go to bed :)
>
> Hope this helps. If you have any other function questions, I'll try to help. As far as
> trouble shooting stuff...I have little knowledge. Not none, just very little :)
>
> Chris, the cable chick

Did you know that F1 also tell you the tpye of channle you are looking
at... and the O means data is OK.. and E for error???

Pete Foerster
Headeand Tech
Media General Cable
http://pete.staffnet.com