being a tourist in your own city.....

Julia Nathan

May 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/12/95
If you were to take a day or two in the city or area that you live in
what would you do, where would you go?

Shane Best

May 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/17/95
Julia Nathan <ju...@access2.digex.net> writes:

>If you were to take a day or two in the city or area that you live in
>what would you do, where would you go?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Home!

Icono Clast

May 18, 1995, 3:00:00 AM5/18/95

JU}If you were to take a day or two in the city or area that you live in

}what would you do, where would you go?

Many years ago, a journalist surveyed the visitors at Coit Tower to
learn who was visiting. More than half of the people there lived here.

I've lived in this city all of my life. Not a day goes by that I don't
see something I've never before seen. Most memorable of my most recent
discoveries is a large stucco bell on the facade of a quite ordinary
building on a street I've traversed countless times.

To directly answer your question, I pay at least an annual visit to
a great many of the places I've often posted here for the benefit of
tourists:

Here are some of them:

GRATIS:
~~~~~~
Cable Car Powerhouse and Museum
Chinatown, China [Telephone] Exchange, Portsmouth Square
City Hall
Clement Street from Arguello to Park Presidio [per Dave Hatunen]
Cliff House
Coit Tower
Crown-Zellerbach Building
Dozens of art galleries
Eureka Valley, Castro Street
Ferry Building
The Filbert Steps [per Dave Hatunen]
Fisherman's Wharf
Fort Funston [per Dave Hatunen]
Golden Gate Bridge
Grant Avenue from Market Street to Lombard Street
Haight Street from Central Avenue to Stanyan Street (Haight-Ashbury)
Hundreds of Beautiful Victorian Homes
Jackson Square
Japantown
Lincoln Boulevard through El Camino del Mar, Drive [per Dave Hatunen]
Maiden Lane
Market Street from the Ferry Building to Dolores Street
Melvin Belli's office (look through the window)
Mission Dolores
Mission Street from 16th Street to Cortland Avenue (The Mission)
Mount Davidson
Palace of Fine Arts, Exploratorium
Plaque, Bronze, where Brigid O'Shaunessy shot Miles Archer [Hatunen]
Polk Gulch
Presidio Terrace
The Presidio, Presidio Army Museum (what's left of it!)
Saint Mary's Cathedral
San Francisco Bay Bridge
Scores of Murals
Sutro Baths' ruins
Thousands of the World's Best People
Tivoli Bed & Breakfast
TransAmerica (Fugazi Bank) Building
TransAmerica Pyramid
Twenty-fourth Street from Castro Street (Noe Valley) to Potrero Avenue
Twin Peaks
For the above, allow approximately 75 hours.

GRATIS or modest charge:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Alamo Square
Golden Gate Park, Stribing Arboretum, California Academy of Sciences,
Japanese Tea Garden, Dutch Windmill, Strawberry Hill
Huntington Park
Justin Herman Plaza, Villaincourt Fountain
Lincoln Park, Palace of the Legion of Honor, Holocaust Memorial
McLaren Park
Union Square
Washington Square, Saints Peter and Paul
For the above, allow approximately 20 hours.

Clift Hotel, Redwood Room
Fairmont Hotel, Crown Room, Tonga Room
Palace Hotel, Garden Court
Regency Hotel, Eclipse, Equinox
Ritz-Carlton Hotel
Saint Francis Hotel
For the above and below, allow approximately 8 hours.

Cable Cars
Carnelian Room
CityScape
Haas-Lillienthal House
Octagon House
Top o' the Mark

Total approximately 108 hours or 9 twelve-hour days. If you want
to visit any of our stores or museums, add time accordingly.
---
* SLMR 2.1a #346 * Foghorn: San Francisco's musical instrument.