SICK of CANCUN

jacquie condon

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
I am soooo sick and tired of people bragging about Cancun. Cancun was
built in 1976 for tourism only. Before 1976 there was nothing but marshy
land in Cancun. There is no real Mexican heritage there. Everything is
glitzy, over priced, and caters to young spring breakers. The Mexican
Riviera is sooo much better, full of culture, beauty, mountains, and
where people speak more spanish than english. People are so blind to the
world when they only go to Cancun because that is where everyone else
went. Go to Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo, you will still have
McDonalds but you will also have authentic Mexican food and atmosphere.
Cancun travelers have no idea what real Mexico is like!

JOSE CUERVO

Dennis

Apr 2, 2000, 4:00:00 AM4/2/00
Hey Jose,

You are so right. You left out a few places like Barra De Navidad,
Puerto Escondico, Puerto Angeles, etc. Nothing like the Riviera of
Mexico. Still have some culture, food, nice people, and a lot more fun
Amigo. Hasta Luego - Dennis

http://community.webtv.net/N0336/CostaRicaTravel

Richard Price

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
I'm not sure of the point of this, but I have to agree with you. Cancun
is highly over-rated. I first went there in 1983, and most of my
friends had never heard of it at the time. I didn't like it then, and I
didn't like it on subsequent visits (business related).

Cancun is very flat, devoid of true Mexican culture and the weather is
extremely unpredictable. Friends of mine went there for a week in
November once, and it rained all day every day.

The glut of cheesy American fast food and food chains is depressing.
And to be frank, the class of people that one finds in Cancun is not
always the most savory.

The only think I liked about Cancun was the turquoise blue colors of the
ocean.

Personally, I love Acapulco. I know many people will say that it's old
and tired, and yes, it has its share of McDonalds and crap. But mixed
in with all that is a wonderful resort that has upscale as well as
casual options. The Acapulco Princess Hotel is wonderful if you don't
mind being out of the city. Las Brisas is as romantic a place as you'll
find anywhere. And any of the hotels along the strip are fun if you're
into the beach and nightlife.

The view of the lights of Acapulco Bay at night is a sight that ranks up
there with Rio de Janeiro.

Plus, the weather is more predictable in Acapulco, and you can choose a
time to visit when you can be fairly certain to have clear skies and
sunshine every day.

I've been to PV, but wasn't all that impressed. The Camino Real was a
great hotel, and the old part of the city is nice. But the crowd at PV
didn't seem much better than in Cancun.

Give me Acapulco any day.

Richard

Bert Hyman

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
exec...@earthlink.net (Richard Price) wrote in
<38E857...@earthlink.net>:

>The glut of cheesy American fast food and food chains is depressing.

Sounds like you never left the hotel zone; we found a number of very
nice restaurants in "downtown" Cancun.

That said, we still won't be going back.
--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | be...@visi.com

John Smith

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
A rather cheap shot at Richard P. ("Sounds like you never left the hotel
zone").
He never said that there weren't Any 'nice restaurants' in Cancun; he
said that there was a "...glut of cheesy American fast food ...chains",
...which there ARE.
I'd guess that Richard knows the place better than either of us (I pick
my friends up at the airport & Leave the place, ...Cancun offers little of
what I go to Mexico 'For' (i.e., ...Mexico, itself!).
Oh, yeah. I've been 'outside' of the Hotel Zone lots of time (so has
Richard).
bill g.

"Bert Hyman" <be...@visi.com> wrote in message

Curt Rosengren

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
>People are so blind to the
>world when they only go to Cancun because that is where everyone else
>went...Cancun travelers have no idea what real Mexico is like!

While I personally would almost rather be roasted alive than spend a
vacation in Cancun, I think this is a little harsh, not to mention a
bit "holier than thou."

I would never spend a vacation on a cruise, because the pampering and
just hanging out relaxing isn't what I'm looking for in my travels (I
tend to be more of a connect-with-the-locals-and-explore type). That
said, who am I to say that cruises as a vacation option are wrong for
other people? Same thing with Cancun.

Not everybody travels for cultural edification. Many just want to
unwind from the stress of their daily lives, sit on a beach, and enjoy
themselves. Maybe even party it up a bit. Just because I can't relate
to the pleasure of doing that, doesn't mean others shouldn't take
pleasure in it..

Is Cancun the "real" Mexico? No, of course not. And I must admit I've
never been there. But it sounds like an ideal place for those who just
want to relax and luxuriate. Or party and be obnoxious.

And when you think of it, the fact that Cancun is there means that
there are that many fewer of that type of tourist where we are when
we're off exploring and trying to connect with the "real" Mexico.

- curt

PBB77

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00
I went to Cancun once. I haven't been back. I didn't like any part of it
including downtown. There is not enough of "downtown" and what little that is
there is pretty poor. I do stay in Mexico at least a month or two every year
and love it. Buddy

Chuckles

Apr 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/3/00

>The only think I liked about Cancun was the turquoise blue colors of the
>ocean.

Well, that is the point. I too, went in 1983. This was before the storm
that took most of the beach away, and fortuitously we were at the Sheraton
which was then the last hotel before the Club Med. Since most tourists
stayed within range of the hotel's bar, we had a wide, empty coral sand
beach and the amazing green-blue water to ourselves. We wore no clothes,
and yes, we did it on the beach, and the sand went everywhere. Of course,
that part of Cancun is now destroyed. But why the hell would anyone go to
Cancun to find the real Mexico? Cancun is Cancun; to go there and then
complain about what it is is just snottiness.

Markku

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00

> But why the hell would anyone go to
> Cancun to find the real Mexico? Cancun is Cancun; to go there and then
> complain about what it is is just snottiness.

thats right.
I havent been reading this newsgroup for a while
because its too concentrated on topics dealing somehow
with Cancun. Should there be a newsgroup
rec.travel.cancun ??

Right Star

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
>And when you think of it, the fact that Cancun is there means that
>there are that many fewer of that type of tourist where we are when
>we're off exploring and trying to connect with the "real" Mexico.

Well, not really so--the area within a circle from Tulum to Chichen Itza has
been profoundly changed over the years by Cancun. I confess its been a mixed
blessing: as the roads improved and the Mayan sites were excavated and restored
for tourists, the busses increased and the crowds rose and the coast was
developed. I have stopped visiting Xel Ha altogether because its way too
crowded and there don't seem to be many fish there anymore. I was never wild
about Tulum in the first place, but just nod at it now as I head south.

Richard Price

Apr 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/4/00
Chuckles wrote:

> Cancun is Cancun; to go there and then
> complain about what it is is just snottiness.

I don't know that what has been written in this thread would be defined
as complaining. For my part, I posted my comments to warn (and
hopefully, assist) others who might be planning a trip to Mexico. I
don't regret going to Cancun. At least now I know what's like, which I
prefer over wondering what a place is like because I've never been
there.

I find it very helpful to read people's comments about a destination
(even negative comments), as it helps me to be better informed when I
plan my own travel. My comments on Cancun are not meant to be a whine,
but a frank set of observations that I hope others will take into
account when they plan their next trip to Mexico.

Richard

Kuchenb

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Thats really true. I think Cancun is the same as Mallorca in Europe (only
its not build for that). But I think it愀 better that all people go to
cancun, so the really beatiful places are not so overcrowded.

jacquie condon schrieb:

> I am soooo sick and tired of people bragging about Cancun. Cancun was
> built in 1976 for tourism only. Before 1976 there was nothing but marshy
> land in Cancun. There is no real Mexican heritage there. Everything is
> glitzy, over priced, and caters to young spring breakers. The Mexican
> Riviera is sooo much better, full of culture, beauty, mountains, and

> where people speak more spanish than english. People are so blind to the

> world when they only go to Cancun because that is where everyone else

> went. Go to Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, Manzanillo, you will still have
> McDonalds but you will also have authentic Mexican food and atmosphere.

> Cancun travelers have no idea what real Mexico is like!
>

> JOSE CUERVO

PAtje

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00

I see Cancun as the place where my aircraft has landed, and the place where
I take the bus to somewhere else in Mexico.
It is also the place where I take my fligt back to Belgium.

But, some people want to hang out in nice hotels, lay on the beach, do
nothingbut laying, drinking and eating.

But it's a shame, when I was in Tulum, I had to run from the ruins because
of "busses from Cancun" with tons of tourists, who came and disturbed my
little, chilling trip. I didn't even went to Chitzen Itzá because of the
touristique character. I went to Palenque instead. Palenque , which is not
in the Quintana Roo, but in the Chiapas was way cool. Anyway, Cancun is for
the people who want to go to MEXICO but really go to miami... BUT they have
been to MExico. I say, the way most of us travel, we have BEEN to Mexico,
and we HAD to go via Cancun to arrive and depart there.

Adios

Patrick de Belgica

jacquie condon <jc...@webtv.net> wrote in message

major

Apr 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/5/00
Patrick,

Can you tell me a little about Palenque?

Kristy

PAtje wrote:...

> I went to Palenque instead. Palenque , which is not

> in the Quintana Roo, but in the Chiapas was way cool. ...

rt...@my-deja.com

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
Thought I'd warn others of Melia Turquesa hotel in Cancun. When I made
reservations, I specified a beach-front room, but was not given one. The
light above the sink did not
work. The showerhead had two modes: off and sand-blast (the water
pressure was so high it hurt). The key they gave me for the mini-bar did
not work. The food service was VERY slow. The people serving food wore
masks over their mouths (makes you wonder what kind of outbreak they
may have had at some point).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

John Smith

Apr 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/6/00
Welcome to Mexico!

Lorne Michetti

Apr 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/7/00
The horror. How can one person handle so much adversity in one week.

N12cky

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
Amen, Jose. Real mexico is so much more interesting. I love going out to the
little puebloes of the yucatan.

vp...@webtv.net

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
Don't like Cancun? Don't go! The Mexicans
don't want snotty, CHEAP, non-tipping, Euro-trash bohemian any way!! For
the
average working Yankee and spring breaker.
Its a nice place to have FUN for a week
with a thousand bucks .
Is it cheesy? Fu*k yes! That is what stressed out overworked Yanks pay
for. Beaches, beer, fastfood, discos, and bars.
I'm a Backpacker type, i'm not into the
"Vegas type vacation" But I fully realize
the masses are. Live with it.

Don Lampson

Apr 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/8/00
If it wasn't for places like Cancun, those folks would be staying
where you like to stay, and hiking up the rates.
Would you rather have them in a snazzy hotel disco - or complaining
about the lack of getting a "Margarita" in a local Cantina?
Besides, people go traveling for different reasons. Some of them
like to have some real deluxe times of beachfront room service, and
don't mind paying for it.
Let them enjoy the travel package in peace!

Paul Mitchell

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00
to vp...@webtv.net

This description sounds pretty accurate (and doesn't appeal to me either),
BUT...

If it is not your cup of tea, at least you know WHERE it is and can avoid
it, like the plague, if necessary.

And if that scenario IS to your liking, well, you know where it is!

Regards,

Paul

Wm. Paul Mitchell --- <pmit...@bayflash.stpt.usf.edu>
University of South Florida "Time wounds all heels." -Frank Case
Bayboro Campus ("Tales of a Wayward Inn")
St. Petersburg <Eventually I plan to procrastinate.>
Florida Agricultural Zone 10

Raider Jeff

Apr 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/9/00

PBB77

Apr 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/10/00
"Subject: Re: SICK of CANCUN
From: Richard Price <exec...@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 14:50:09 GMT

Chuckles wrote:

Richard"

Well said. I wish we had more views of more people of more places. Buddy

Muse

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00

The last time I did it rained and
while driving back I was inadvertantly forced to run over literally
thousands of the large black tarantulas with red circles on their backs
that had come out on the road to avoid the moisture. Believe me, there
was nothing too touristy about that. As a matter of fact it was kind of
creepy and needless to say the ladies that accompanied me were besides
themselves.

Heh, good post.  I'd personally pay money to see a video of said
spiders...

rt...@my-deja.com

Apr 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/11/00
In article <38EE2E64...@pancanadian.ca>,
If you'd like to spend your vacation time dealing with these sorts of
inconveniences, all the power to ya. Just advising those who don't care
for this sort of thing to stay away from Melia Turquesa.

Heynyc

Apr 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/15/00
I might have believed you but you over did it with the mask story.......It
is a well known fact that only in Mexico do people ever had a few minor
problems at their hotel.

Real experienced travelers ignore minor things and actually have a great
time.

Please stay home or visit your other trailer park friends.

John Smith

Apr 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/15/00
Actually,
he was seriously misinformed.
He was staying at the first "Zapatista"-owned hotel in the Yucatan.
The masks were Not for the purposes of 'Hygiene' (hygiene in Mexico?
yeah, right!).

"Heynyc" <to...@hockeymail.com> wrote in message