Looking for Paris Itineraries

1 view

tc

Feb 24, 2001, 4:15:29 PM2/24/01
My wife and I going to visit Paris for the first time from March 22 -
28,2001 and want to see as much as possible in that short period of
time. We enjoy walking to see the sights and absorb as much of the
local atmosphere as possible. I wonder if anyone has any suggested
itineraries for a person who is not familiar with Paris to minimize
the amount of time spent backtracking? I would also much appreciate
suggestions for good economical places to eat along the way.

Please send suggestions to: tc...@mediaone.net.

Many thanks.

Tony

Andrew

Feb 25, 2001, 3:24:10 AM2/25/01
tc <tc...@mediaone.net> wrote:
: My wife and I going to visit Paris for the first time from March 22 -

: 28,2001 and want to see as much as possible in that short period of
: time. We enjoy walking to see the sights and absorb as much of the
: local atmosphere as possible. I wonder if anyone has any suggested
: itineraries for a person who is not familiar with Paris to minimize
: the amount of time spent backtracking? I would also much appreciate
: suggestions for good economical places to eat along the way.

First of all, pick up a travel guide. I like the Dorling Kindersley
Travel Guide to Paris - wish I'd had it during my first (unplanned)
trip in September. Fodor's Guide and others also give you several
itineraries. People here can give you advice, but in my view you MUST
get a travel guide anyway for your trip. You'll want it for the maps
and ready-reference. Get a travel guide now; then I suggest you post
a few specifics about various options that interest you.

I can't suggest itineraries too well because my Paris trip was barely four
days and planned hastily. But, like most people will tell you, I
suggest not renting a car and taking the Metro (subway) everywhere.
You can buy travel cards that work for several days at a time on the
Metro, and they are a pretty good deal.

I loved the parks in Paris - I spent time in the Jardin du Luxembourg
and Parc Monceau. Not as many tourists. Plenty of tourists in the
Latin Quarter, but I loved that. And you can find a wide variety of
food options there, from cheap to expensive. Fun to walk around and
be caught up in the excitement of all the people as much as anything.

Besides the Arc de Triomphe and Eiffel Tower, you might check out
something different: the Cimetiere du Pere Lachaise. It's most
well-known in popular culture for being the burial place of Jim
Morrison, who died in Paris, but forget his grave - it's dull and
nothing special unless you're a rabid Door's fan. The headstones in
this place are incredible. Oscar Wilde's gravesite is unique. It's a
large cemetery, and you could spend hours walking around (you get a
map when you enter to guide you to all the celebrity graves). I had
only an hour - wish I'd had more time.

Otherwise, Paris is a wonderful city to walk around in. I'm going
back in April - can't wait! And almost two months to plan this time!
:-)

I have photos from the cemetery and from the parks - see
http://www.bizave.com/europe2000/

Andrew
andr...@bizave.com ** Portland, Oregon Web Site: http://www.bizave.com
The Movie Pundit - http://www.moviepundit.com

ROSE KUHN

Feb 25, 2001, 12:05:49 PM2/25/01
tc, the small Paris guide book by Rick Steves ($13-14)
has 5 walks described, with a 'map' for each one. The walks are:
1. Historic Paris - Notre Dame, Ile de Cite, Left Bank,
St Julien-le-Pauvre, St Severin, Latin Qtr, Blvd St Michel,
example of traditional Metro iron work, St-Chapelle,
Palais de Justice, Conciergerie, Pont Neuf
2. Champs-Elysee Walk - Arc de Triomphe, Tomb of Unknown
Soldier, T.I. office, arcades, Fouquet's, Grand/Petit Palais,
Place de la Concorde, le Crillon, obelisk, Tuileries, (Louvre)
3. Marais walk - Place de la Bastille, Opera B., Hotel de Sully,
Place des Vosges, Picasso Museum, Jewish Qtr, Pompidou,
les Halles, St Eustache
4. Rue Cler walk - "art of Parisian living" - footnotes about the
shops on rue C.
5. Montmartre walk - Sacre Coeur, St Pierre, Place du Tertre,
Dali museum, Montmarte museum, vineyard, Lapin Agile,
Moulin Galette (windmill), Van Gogh's house, Moulin Rouge
(other windmill), Pigalle
His book also 'walks' you thru the Louvre, d'Orsay, Versailles...

tc...@mediaone.net.

Robert Buxbaum

Feb 25, 2001, 1:40:48 PM2/25/01
In article <97bdu2$jld$1...@nntp9.atl.mindspring.net>, "ROSE KUHN"
<trav...@mindspring.com> wrote:

My first choice for concise guides has been the green Michelins for wherever
they are published. IMHO, the Paris guide is the classic. I suspect Jack
will note his online guides. Jack may not be accused too often of bening
concise, but his site offers in incredible amount of information for those
who love to wonder the streets of Paris on foot.
<http://www.jack-travel.com/> is the URL for his home page. The Paris
information will not be hard to find, although there will be more than
enough for you to have a tought time deciding what to see. ;-)

--
<www.worldtable.com> Food/Wine/Travel
-

Jack

Feb 25, 2001, 2:20:38 PM2/25/01

That's why I NEVER got very inspired by the Green Michelin, or any of
the other "guiding guides". Never or very rarely an anecdote, a joke,
taking you to a hidden and unknwon spot or leading you in a convivial
way through a site.
IMHO tourism today is based on exepriencing daily atmosphere,
ambiences as much as on museum visits. Sitting on a terrace, watching
daily life passing by, enter a croissanterie, a bakery,strolling
through an open air market, drink quickly "un petit blanc" (glass of
white wine), at the counter of the local bar, having a nap on a bench
in the parc du Luxembourg, watch an amateur painter in a street of
Montmartre....and finally go at night for a superb refined dinner for
less than 200 FF per person!

Jack

Visit my personal website where you'll find my
travel tips, hotel suggestions, and restaurant
reviews for Paris, most regions of France, Belgium,
Amsterdam and Venice.
http://www.jack-travel.com/
personal contact address: tra...@jack-travel.com

Robert Buxbaum

Feb 25, 2001, 4:45:19 PM2/25/01
In article <04mi9t0aufjtbg7nr...@4ax.com>, Jack
<tra...@jack-travel.com> wrote:

>>My first choice for concise guides has been the green Michelins for
>>wherever
>>they are published. IMHO, the Paris guide is the classic. I suspect Jack
>>will note his online guides. Jack may not be accused too often of bening
>>concise, but his site offers in incredible amount of information for those
>>who love to wonder the streets of Paris on foot.
>><http://www.jack-travel.com/> is the URL for his home page. The Paris
>>information will not be hard to find, although there will be more than
>>enough for you to have a tought time deciding what to see. ;-)
>
>That's why I NEVER got very inspired by the Green Michelin, or any of
>the other "guiding guides".

Indeed the Michelin is not inspiring, it is concise and thus easy to carry
about. The inspiration must come from elsewhere.

>Never or very rarely an anecdote, a joke,
>taking you to a hidden and unknwon spot or leading you in a convivial
>way through a site.
>IMHO tourism today is based on exepriencing daily atmosphere,
>ambiences as much as on museum visits. Sitting on a terrace, watching
>daily life passing by, enter a croissanterie, a bakery,strolling
>through an open air market, drink quickly "un petit blanc" (glass of
>white wine), at the counter of the local bar, having a nap on a bench
>in the parc du Luxembourg, watch an amateur painter in a street of
>Montmartre....and finally go at night for a superb refined dinner for
>less than 200 FF per person!

Well of course I've found your site and your posts inspirational and joyful
as well as instructive, but I also have to say that anyone who spends a few
days on the streets of Paris is going to be inspired even without a guide.
Of course those who love Paris will enjoy reading your pages even when a
trip in not in the near future. As for your dinner recommendations, they
are as good a source of quality/price recommendations as I've ever run
across.

Don and Linda

Feb 26, 2001, 2:34:13 PM2/26/01
Hi Tony,

> I would also much appreciate suggestions for good
> economical places to eat along the way.

Check out our Paris travelogue. It's just what you're looking for!
http://www.thetravelzine.com/paris1100.htm

Cheers!
Don and Linda
TheTravelzine.com is non-commercial

Phrank Da Slugger

Mar 3, 2001, 2:31:13 AM3/3/01

> Sitting on a terrace, watching
> daily life passing by, enter a croissanterie, a bakery,strolling
> through an open air market, drink quickly "un petit blanc" (glass of
> white wine), at the counter of the local bar, having a nap on a bench
> in the parc du Luxembourg, watch an amateur painter in a street of
> Montmartre....and finally go at night for a superb refined dinner for
> less than 200 FF per person!

Yes, yes, yes! <Sigh>