Restaurants in Brugges?

law...@hofstra.edu

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
We will be in Brugges in September and would appreciate some restaurant
recommendations.

Beer God

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
If you have never tried Beer Cuisine you should try Den Dyver, Dyver 5, from
US 011-32-50-336069. The food is wonderful and reservations are
recommended. I have my Thanksgiving meal there every year.
david

Jack

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
Obviously you didn't read my posts about Brugge where i have a chapter
about the Brugge restaurants .

They are all with my recommendation in the web site
http://home.earthlink.net/~primos/ in the Belgium section.
Look it up, it's quite complete.

Jack

Provence, Cote d'azur,Languedoc-Roussillon,Belgium and Dublin posts
are now available on http://home.earthlink.net/~primos/

You can retrieve all my Paris and Languedoc-Roussillon posts on
http://www.bway.net/~bux/jack.Paris.toc.html

Bjork

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
<

We will be in Brugges in September and would appreciate some restaurant
recommendations.>

If you really like mussels and french fries (moules et frites), then it makes
little difference where you eat, as they are everywhere.

Our most enjoyable meal was at Erasmus, not only because of the food and beer
but also because the proprietor was pleasant and not haughty. Good stews.

Bjork

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98
>Obviously you didn't read my posts about Brugge where i have a chapter<BR>
>about the Brugge restaurants .<BR>
><BR>
>They are all with my recommendation in the web site<BR>
>http://home.earthlink.net/~primos/

Jack's walking tours of France and Belgium are great, better than anything
commercially available. His recommendation of Breydel-De Coninck as a
restaurant in Brugge is less than great. Since Jack speaks Flemish, he would be
treated with respect; if you speak anything else, expect disdain, which is what
we got here (we are quiet, obsequious, friendly well-dressed but clearly
American). The mussels were just like any other Brugge restaurant.

Jack

Aug 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/24/98

Breydel-De Koninck may have been turned into a stupid Flemish
nationalist mentality. It is possible, I haven't been there since 2
years. And if they had that attitude towards you it is a very bad
point I will take into consideration in my next review.
jBut the food is excellent and typically Flemish which is not so bad.
Anyway I give you the choice between a lot others. If you prefer the
tourist traps where they serve you with a smile, a wink and a steal in
your wallet, you have plenty of other choices :-). But I will not
give you these addresses ;-). God forgive ! ......
About mussels.....believe a Flemish guy like me who knows the
difference between mussles and better mussles( the difference is
unexplainable :-))

Cheers,

jack
Jack x...@village.uunet.be

Bernard

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98

I live in Ostend , 20 km. from it and I often go to Brugge (in Dutch)
/ Bruges (in French) and I eat in

GRILLHUISJE, Wijngaardstraat 14
Tel. +50/346746
which is what it says: a grill house, if you want to eat a good
steak...

LE DUE VENEZIE, Kleine Sint-Amandsstraat 2
which is a very fine Italian restaurant. You'll have to make a
reservation.
Tel +50/332326

Please do not eat on the Grote Markt: you'll pay the double.

Bernard

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998 13:53:19 GMT, law...@hofstra.edu wrote:

>We will be in Brugges in September and would appreciate some restaurant
>recommendations.

Bernard Huyvaert
bernard....@skynet.be

http://users.skynet.be/sky86580

http://surf.to/bernardhuyvaert

http://users.skynet.be/sky86580/Events_in_Art.htm

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Andrew Cormack - COMPG

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
law...@hofstra.edu wrote:
: We will be in Brugges in September and would appreciate some restaurant
: recommendations.

For a light lunch we'd highly recommend "The Daily Bread" (Het
Taglische Brod with apologies to Flemish or Dutch readers) in
Philipstockstraat. Wonderful bread, soup and a truly wicked chocolate
pudding. Probably the most enjoyable dinner was in a restaurant on
the corner of Gruuthusestraat and Mariastraat, just opposite the Onze
Lieve Vrouwe Kerk, but I'm afraid I can't remember the name of that
one.

Andrew

Dela

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
It's "Het Dagelijks Brood".

You'll find it in Bruges and many other cities in Belgium, like Brussels
(several, including the 'original'), Leuven (the best), Antwerp, Wavre,
Liege etc.

There's also one in New York and one in Paris. Het Dagelijks Brood is
planning to open some 10 more in New York.

Finally, something else than Beer & Chocolate to be proud of.

As an ex-inhabitant of Bruges, I'm sorry to read posts with complaints
about bad behaviour in restaurants towards tourists. The problem is that in
Bruges there are so many tourists that in some restaurants the Brugeois are
in a 'minority'. Sometimes restaurant owners try to profile themselves as
'non-tourist' to attract more people from Bruges.

Though I completely lack any feeling of xenofobia, I must say it is weird
to be in a restaurant in your home-town and to be amongst only tourists. It
makes you feel like being in a tourist trap - I'm sure the average tourist
feels the same about that.

Of course all of this can NOT justify being rude or impolite to tourists. A
customer is a customer and should be treated with respect. Bruges owes a
lot to the numerous tourists. Plus personally, I liked to have a good mix
between 'Bruggelingen' and tourists. This is what you'll find at 'Het
Dagelijks Brood' and in fact in most restaurants in Brugge, like Erasmus.
Het Dagelijks Brood is the best in this, as by sitting at one table with
the other patrons you easily jump into conversation (but you don't HAVE
to). Personally, I find it enriching when I can have a chat with someone
from the USA or Sweden or Japan while I'm having coffee with a delicious
lemon-pie.

I sincerely hope all of you will find your stay in Brugge pleasant and
clear of narrowminded inhabitants.

--Hendrik Delagrange

Andrew Cormack - COMPG <cor...@cf.ac.uk> wrote in article
<6rtq02$btj$1...@loki.cf.ac.uk>...

BAAlmi

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
We tried several restaurants on a 12 day visit to Brugge earlier this year.
Our favorite was
Ter Burg...ate there twice. It is catty-corner from Our Daily Bread,
recommended to you previously by others. We were lucky to have rented an
apartment, so were able to pick up items at the many small specialty markets
for light meals "at home".

Jack

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
On 25 Aug 1998 00:56:06 -0500, bh...@hotmail.com (Bernard) wrote:

>I live in Ostend , 20 km. from it and I often go to Brugge (in Dutch)
>/ Bruges (in French) and I eat in
>

>Please do not eat on the Grote Markt: you'll pay the double.

I second that motion. Not only the double but totally insignificant
food;

Jack

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
The "Daily Bread" originally called "Le Pain Quotidien" is a quite
recent phenomena of the Belgian lunch scenery. The first one, founded
in Brussels a few years ago had from start a tremendous succes, partly
because of the excellent quality of the breads , rolls and
"viennoiseries "as well as superb fruit tarts, as the original formula
of seating. You eat at a big wooden table set for about 25 people,
side by side and have the opportunity to make an easy acquaintance
with your neighbors. And the salads are very good;
they just opened their first location in NewYork as well as Paris;
Try it out, for beakfast ( excellent ones) or for lunch; they usually
close at 7.00 PM

They have a web site about their Brussels locations
http://www.europictures.com/pain_quotidien/index_uk.htm

Jack

Provence, Cote d'azur,Languedoc-Roussillon,Belgium and Dublin posts
are now available on http://home.earthlink.net/~primos/

You can retrieve all my Paris and Languedoc-Roussillon posts on
http://www.bway.net/~bux/jack.Paris.toc.html

On 25 Aug 1998 07:44:02 GMT, cor...@cf.ac.uk (Andrew Cormack - COMPG)

sula...@my-dejanews.com

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
In article <35e8101a...@news.innet.be>,

x...@village.uunet.be (Jack) wrote:
> On 25 Aug 1998 00:56:06 -0500, bh...@hotmail.com (Bernard) wrote:
>

> >I live in Ostend , 20 km. from it and I often go to Brugge (in Dutch)
> >/ Bruges (in French) and I eat in
> >

> >Please do not eat on the Grote Markt: you'll pay the double.
>
> I second that motion. Not only the double but totally insignificant
> food;

Well I remember a delightful but slightly tourist spot -- not far from the
market it was a little brick building with a roaring fire and fabulous pommes
frites. The rest of the meal was rather good too .

---
JSH