Lobster Night?

Harry Jones

May 23, 2004, 4:54:41 PM5/23/04
I always thought that one of the
mandatory requirements for a cruise was that lobster was served at least one
night. I have found that the case on all my previous cruises until now.
On a recent 5 day RCCI cruise (Voyager ots) lobster (tails) never made an
appearance.
Is this another attempt to pare
costs, or was it an isolated
instance?

David C Jacobson

May 23, 2004, 5:47:34 PM5/23/04

"Harry Jones" <hjo...@prodigy.net> wrote in message

I was on the Carnival Holiday three weeks ago, and would have been
disappointed if I did not have been offered lobster and prime rib on formal
night. Hopefully, your experience was an isolated oversight.

David Jacobson
Baton Rouge

joyce1155

May 23, 2004, 6:08:35 PM5/23/04

>Subject: Lobster Night?
>From: "Harry Jones" hjo...@prodigy.net
>Date: 5/23/2004 4:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time

>Up until now RCCl did serve lobster on cruises of 5 nites or longer ( not on 3
and 4 nite cruises). I wonder is this going fleetwide?? It seems a bit unfair
as some fares on the 4 and 5 nite cruises are almost as much if not more than a
7 nite cruise. RCCl should be careful they could push cruisers to other lines
that do serve lobster on the shorter cruises. I don't eat lobster so it doesn't
affect me but everyone I cruise with does and enjoys" lobster nite"

Tom & Linda

May 23, 2004, 6:21:26 PM5/23/04
Yes it's a cost saving measure.

They probably did you a favor though. I've found that Celebrity's,
Princess', RCI's, NCL's and Carnival's lobster is so lousy... that I'm
thinking it's a ploy to get you to buy Ant-Acids in their gift shop. It's
usually dry and mushy (to me indicating bacterial decomposition has already
started). Caribbean lobster should be firm and almost crispy. It should be
rather "tough". Chewy. When I go to the tiny family owned seafood
restaurants along the west coast of Puerto Rico (south of Mayaguez), and you
get a lobster caught that day, it's always tough and chewy. That's when
it's fresh. If it's not, if it's soft or mushy it's old. Tender with a
Caribbean lobster is NOT good.

--Tom

Dick Goldhaber

May 23, 2004, 8:18:18 PM5/23/04
>From: "Tom & Linda" tkan...@optonline.net

>Yes it's a cost saving measure.

In 2003 on Statendam's 16 day Circle Hawaii cruise we only were offered lobster
once, and, surprisingly our waiter did NOT bring extra portions, something we
had become accustomed to.

It seems a shame to make the people who are willing to pay for better
accommodations suffer a loss of quality because the cruise lines have so many
cabins to fill. Maybe Cunard has been right all along in offering different
class accommodations.

DG in Cherry Hill, NJ
video...@comcast.net

Johnn...@webtv.net

May 23, 2004, 10:39:03 PM5/23/04
We had lobster twice on the 21 day HAL Panama cruise. My TA says that
they don't serve lobster on anything less than 7 days.?? ...Well, at
least he never saw any of them on the 3 day cruise he took with HAL.
..I've also noticed a distinct lack of King Crab in the lido on my last
couple of 7 day cruises. ...There was always an abundance of them on the
3 --ten day cruises that I took back in 2001, and 2002. ....Hopefully
I'll see some more of them this October during my 10 dayer.
..Come to think of it.... The last cruise I took was the first time I
wasn't offered seconds when I had the lobster.. ...Jon

Brian K

May 23, 2004, 10:52:06 PM5/23/04
On 05/23/2004 4:54 PM Harry Jones plucked Senior Frog's Magic Twanger
and said:

The price of North Atlantic Lobster had been driven up by a blight that
nearly wiped out populations in the waters of Mane and other commercial
fishing sites. With premium wholesale prices, I am not surprised that
many cruise lines are cutting back. Recently on HAL's ms Veendam,
instead of Mane Lobster we were offered some very excellent Alaskan King
Crab Legs. Extra portions? No problem.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.

Charles

May 23, 2004, 10:59:06 PM5/23/04
In article <qrdsc.21315$zO3....@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>,
Brian K <brian...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> The price of North Atlantic Lobster had been driven up by a blight that
> nearly wiped out populations in the waters of Mane and other commercial
> fishing sites. With premium wholesale prices, I am not surprised that
> many cruise lines are cutting back. Recently on HAL's ms Veendam,
> instead of Mane Lobster we were offered some very excellent Alaskan King
> Crab Legs. Extra portions? No problem.

Maine Lobster has been pretty inexpensive the last few years. Seems to
be plenty available.

The lobster the cruise lines have been serving is not Maine Lobster.

--
Charles

Reef Fish

May 23, 2004, 11:18:14 PM5/23/04
"Tom & Linda" <tkan...@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<Gt9sc.31750$cz5.10...@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>...

> They probably did you a favor though. I've found that Celebrity's,
> Princess', RCI's, NCL's and Carnival's lobster is so lousy... that I'm
> thinking it's a ploy to get you to buy Ant-Acids in their gift shop.

LOL!

But only at your unintended joke/implication that collectively the 5
mentioned cruise lines served only one lobster. ;-)

Come on, Tom. You over-killed.

> It's usually dry and mushy (to me indicating bacterial decomposition
> has already started).

"usually" did imply "not always" though. Why didn't you return those
rotten lobsters of yours and ask the waiter to bring you a fresh one?

> Caribbean lobster should be firm and almost crispy. It should be
> rather "tough". Chewy. When I go to the tiny family owned seafood
> restaurants along the west coast of Puerto Rico (south of Mayaguez), and you
> get a lobster caught that day, it's always tough and chewy. That's when
> it's fresh.

Your prejudice and personal taste finally showed. It explained your
hyperbole. First of all, not all lobsters are from the Caribbean.
Secondly, it's certainly NOT the case that all fresh lobsters are
"tough" and chewy -- in fact, those that are would tend to send me
to your Ant-Acids and my Roll-Aids.

-- Bob.

Surfer E2468

May 23, 2004, 11:41:16 PM5/23/04
Last cruise we took,when they had lobster & prime rib,we took them and
we ate the prime rib,and our tablemates took our lobsters,so everyone
was happy

NY Nurse

May 24, 2004, 12:04:54 AM5/24/04
We have been on 11 cruises (with Celebrity, Norwegian, Carnival, RCCL
and Princess) and have had lobster on all of them. Even the three
nighter with RCCL (September 2001--the weekend before 9/11). The best
lobster was on Princess when we sailed to Canada and New England. They
took on some very fresh lobster in Bar Harbor, Maine. What a meal!!!!

Reef Fish

May 24, 2004, 2:52:16 AM5/24/04
Johnn...@webtv.net wrote in message news:<16810-40B...@storefull-3251.bay.webtv.net>...

> ..I've also noticed a distinct lack of King Crab in the lido on my last
> couple of 7 day cruises. ...There was always an abundance of them on the
> 3 --ten day cruises that I took back in 2001, and 2002. ....

I believe you mis-identified the ordinary Alaskan crab as King Crab.

To the best of my knowledge, there has never been any abundance of King
Crab on any cruiseship, especially at the lido dining.

I can recall one occasion in which the Alaskan King Crab was on the
dining menu of a Princess cruise. I promptly ordered a double portion,
and got it.

-- Bob.

Howie

May 24, 2004, 4:33:13 AM5/24/04
NY Nurse wrote:

Ah, Maine Lobster. My mouth is watering and it's 4:30 AM.

Howie

BlueM0ZARK

May 24, 2004, 8:48:36 AM5/24/04
>I can recall one occasion in which the Alaskan King Crab was on the
dining menu of a Princess cruise. I promptly ordered a double portion,
and got it.<

So, you're saying you had crabs on a cruise....

Dick Goldhaber

May 24, 2004, 9:19:12 AM5/24/04
>From: Johnn...@webtv.net

Jon, we took the short version of the Canal cruise on HAL in 2001 and since the
cruise originated in Alaska they had a generous supply of King Crab.

villa deauville

May 24, 2004, 9:16:00 AM5/24/04
After a few cruises of eating lobster on board I stopped ordering it.
Living on Long Island all I ate was Maine Lobster.
After coming to S.Florida I continued the tradition. They are quite
inexpensive to purchase in a super market and they steam them at no
charge.

SUNNY<......I .prefer the claws of a lobster

S'nd I
XXX

Lee

May 24, 2004, 10:17:44 AM5/24/04
"Harry Jones" <hjo...@prodigy.net> wrote in message news:<lc8sc.6487$o97....@nwrddc01.gnilink.net>...

I like lobster well enough, but I guess I never understood the big
deal everyone makes about it on cruises. Arent they just frozen tails
that they boil or steam or something? What's the big deal about eating
mediocre lobster? Best lobster is the stuff you eat the same day it's
pulled out of the waters of the north Atlantic. My best friend used to
live next door to a lobsterman up in Maine who'd drop off that day's
catch when I went up there to visit. That's lobster to ooh and aah
over...not the stuff they serve on cruises.

Lee

Johnn...@webtv.net

May 24, 2004, 10:31:54 AM5/24/04
Hi Bob... What specie are you referring to when you say "ordinary
Alaskan crab"? ...Having lived near the Alaskan panhandle, I'm aware of
3 types of King, Snow, and the tastiest of them all: Dungeness. (We
used to catch and boil our own dungeness) ...On my first three HAL 10
day cruises there was an abundance of --yes-- "King" crab legs. ...In
fact at one time, for the barbecue, they had a whole washtub full of
them. ....I was shocked, as in British Columbia here, we pay close to 20
bucks for 3 or 4 legs. ...Jon

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Mike Cordelli

May 24, 2004, 11:05:56 AM5/24/04
It's mass market stuff. I can get a lobster on the way home for like $7 or
$8 and have fresh steamed lobster in 15 minutes at home, double that at a
restaurant whenever I want. I don't really see the attraction for it so
much in the mass market food stuff (weddings, cruise ships, etc)

When we were in Rio the kids were diving for lobsters, and selling them on
the beach. Doesn't get much fresher then that.

"Lee" <lee...@campmor.com> wrote in message

Mike Cordelli

May 24, 2004, 11:10:07 AM5/24/04
I wouldn't go that far.

"Petite Gâteaued " <karens...@cupcaked.com> wrote in message

> I'd even bet Red Lobster can do it up
> better than most cruise ships.

Dick Goldhaber

May 24, 2004, 11:57:40 AM5/24/04
>From: Johnn...@webtv.net

There are many kinds of crabmeat that are regional to different parts of the
country. Because we live in the Philadelphia area we are used to Maryland
crabmeat and crab cakes.

Last year in San Diego we ate at a seafood restaurant next to the pier and I
ordered Dungeness crab cakes and I was very disappointed, although that may
have been the fault of the restaurant. It was far from the lump crabmeat we
are used to on the east coast.

Dick Goldhaber

May 24, 2004, 12:09:19 PM5/24/04
>From: karens...@cupcaked.com (Petite Gāteaued )

>For the life of me, I could never understand some people's
>fascination with getting lobster on a cruise. Most of the time, any
>local sea food restaurant will serve lobster that's twice as good as
>what you get on any ship. I'd even bet Red Lobster can do it up

>better than most cruise ships.

Karen, my daughter is an excellent cook, and we can buy lobster tails at the
local ShopRite. For a while they were offering 4 pound lobsters that they
would steam for you and one pound tails.

Anybody can go to Red Lobster if they don't mind waiting in line for service.
But we like the idea of getting dressed up on a cruise ship and going to dinner
and we DO look forward to the formal dinner(s) where they offer lobster.

Dick Goldhaber

May 24, 2004, 12:16:00 PM5/24/04
>From: "Mike Cordelli" mi...@cordelli.com

>> I'd even bet Red Lobster can do it up
>> better than most cruise ships

>I wouldn't go that far.

There is nothing special about lobster on a cruise ship, but there is something
special about a cruise ship, and that is the difference between cruise dining
and Red Lobster.

It is called "ambience"

Dick Goldhaber

May 24, 2004, 12:29:19 PM5/24/04
>From: karens...@cupcaked.com (Petite Gāteaued )

>I always remember seconds and extra portions never being a problem on
>HAL. They are always very gracious as far as pleasing their diners.
>
>Karen

As I said earlier we were surprised to find that on a 16 day Hawaii cruise last
October lobster was only offered once, and if crab legs were offered at all,
they might have been offered once as an appetizer.

But we were not completely disappointed as they still offer great escargot and
they did honor our special request for sweetbreads.

Tom & Linda

May 24, 2004, 12:30:41 PM5/24/04

"NY Nurse" <kraut...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Then you most likely got the Maine lobster... the GOOD stuff.

--Tom

RTCReferee

May 24, 2004, 1:16:25 PM5/24/04
video...@aol.comnojunk (Dick Goldhaber) wrote:

>Last year in San Diego we ate at a seafood restaurant next to the pier and
>I ordered Dungeness crab cakes and I was very disappointed, although that
>may have been the fault of the restaurant. It was far from the lump crabmeat
>we are used to on the east coast.

Usually we get great Dungeness crab here in the San Francisco Bay Area. During
the season, when it is at its best, we have it at least once a week at home.
Delicious.

RTCReferee

May 24, 2004, 1:18:35 PM5/24/04
karens...@cupcaked.com wrote:

>For the life of me, I could never understand some people's
>fascination with getting lobster on a cruise. Most of the time, any
>local sea food restaurant will serve lobster that's twice as good as

>what you get on any ship. I'd even bet Red Lobster can do it up
>better than most cruise ships.

Ugh. Not here. We ate at Red Lobster locally once. What a disappointing
experience. Messy tables, seafood that wasn't tasty. Not worth the bother.

Reef Fish

May 24, 2004, 2:07:55 PM5/24/04
bluem...@aol.com (BlueM0ZARK) wrote in message news:<20040524084836...@mb-m23.aol.com>...

I said I had Alaskan King Crab on a Princess cruise dinner menu. I think
it was on an Alaskan cruise.

If your comment was meant to be some kind of joke, then you can fill in
the punch line(s) yourself.

-- Bob.

Reef Fish

May 24, 2004, 2:36:03 PM5/24/04
Johnn...@webtv.net wrote in message news:<19475-40B...@storefull-3258.bay.webtv.net>...

> Hi Bob... What specie are you referring to when you say "ordinary
> Alaskan crab"?

I was referring to the Alaskan SNOW crab, some are euphemistically
called Queen crab, to distinguish them from the Alaskan King crab.

They are served in thousands of buffet restaurants of the "all you
can eat type" in the USA. I am surprised that these Alaskan snow
crabs have not been eaten to near-extinction, because I personally
have eaten a ton or two of them myself over the years; :-) whereas
the Alaskan King crab was almost eaten to extinction in the 1980s
(and made a come back later) and I have hardly eaten more than 100
lbs of those in my life time.

Hence my use of "ordinary" Alaskan crab. Neither meant to be a
scientific nor echthylogical term. :-)

...On my first three HAL 10
> day cruises there was an abundance of --yes-- "King" crab legs. ...In
> fact at one time, for the barbecue, they had a whole washtub full of
> them. ....I was shocked, as in British Columbia here, we pay close to 20
> bucks for 3 or 4 legs. ...Jon

Even among Alaskan King Crab legs, there are King crab legs that are
served in their non-chunky-leg skinny sections, as in the Bellagio
buffet in Las Vegas, and in a few other fairly expensive buffets. Then
there are still "unlimited" Alaskan King Crab legs (chunky and meaty
pieces -- the real LEG portion) served in certain buffets, such as the
New Orleans Manor in Nashville, near the Nashville (BNA) airport. The
buffet was $30 per person, 25 years ago. I have eaten there recently
but don't recall if the buffet is now in the $40 or $50 range.

Some years later, I went there looking for the same buffet and the own
said the Alaskan King crabs served had been listed in the endangered
species and they stopped serving that in their buffet. In recent years,
the CHUNKY-leg Alaskan King Crab is back on that buffet menu.

Alaskan King crabs are rare, with the exception of perhaps in Alaska.

That pretty much exhausted what I know or have to say about Alaskan King
Crabs, and their roles in restaurants and cruises.

-- Bob.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

RTCReferee

May 24, 2004, 4:40:29 PM5/24/04
karens...@cupcaked.com wrote:

>Many ships serve lobster that's just as
>bad. The venue may be nicer than Red Lobster, but that doesn't really
>help the food much.

The only mediocre-to-bad lobster we've had on a cruise was last year on the
Star Princess in Sabatini's, and we paid extra for that. Never again.

The lobster meals served on the Veendam and the Mercury last year were both
very good.

Surfer E2468

May 24, 2004, 4:39:44 PM5/24/04
Would never go to red lobster,even if they gave me a free meal,just do
not like their food

Tom & Linda

May 24, 2004, 4:46:55 PM5/24/04

> video...@aol.comnojunk (Dick Goldhaber) wrote:
>
> >>From: "Mike Cordelli" mi...@cordelli.com

> >>I wouldn't go that far.
> >
> >There is nothing special about lobster on a cruise ship, but there is
something
> >special about a cruise ship, and that is the difference between cruise
dining
> >and Red Lobster.
> >
> >It is called "ambience"
>
> ... and we're talking about food, specifically lobster.
> Unfortunately, I've had a few cruise ship meals that had me wishing I
> was back home at my local greasy spoon. A cruise ship doesn't a good
> meal make.
>
> Karen

The sell DiGels in the "ambiance" gift shops on board ships.

--Tom

Tom & Linda

May 24, 2004, 4:53:07 PM5/24/04

"Dick Goldhaber" <video...@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message
> >From: karens...@cupcaked.com (Petite Gâteaued )

> >I always remember seconds and extra portions never being a problem on
> >HAL. They are always very gracious as far as pleasing their diners.
> >
> >Karen
>
> As I said earlier we were surprised to find that on a 16 day Hawaii cruise
last
> October lobster was only offered once, and if crab legs were offered at
all,
> they might have been offered once as an appetizer.
>
> But we were not completely disappointed as they still offer great escargot
and
> they did honor our special request for sweetbreads.

Eeewwwww :(

PS... if we ever meet... remind me to tell you my matador joke.

--Tom

Surfer E2468

May 24, 2004, 4:42:48 PM5/24/04
DGinCHERRY HILL:
Just what do you mean by sweetbreads?I know what my mother said they
were,and i refused to eat them,if you are talking about the same
thing,to me it is disgusting

Dick Goldhaber

May 24, 2004, 4:55:51 PM5/24/04
>From: karens...@cupcaked.com (Petite Gāteaued )

>>It is called "ambience"

>... and we're talking about food, specifically lobster.
>Unfortunately, I've had a few cruise ship meals that had me wishing I
>was back home at my local greasy spoon. A cruise ship doesn't a good
>meal make.
>
>Karen

I don't care what we are talking about. With the possible exception of the
Indonesian night on HAL, and given the chance she probably could, I have never
had a meal on a cruise ship that Danni couldn't make better.

But there is a difference between Danni's kitchen and a cruise ship. When I am
in Danni's kitchen I am home and when I am on a cruise ship I am, as is she, on
vacation.

THAT'S the difference. When I go to a restaurant or on a cruise I like to
order things that I do not usually get at home.

I never said I can't get better lobster at home. I have, but it is not
something that is a regular staple. Most ships offer salmon steak, but I would
rather have it prepared by Danni, but if they offer roast turkey with giblet
gravy on the ship I might choose that as that is not something that I get at
home.

Do you follow?

Dick Goldhaber

May 24, 2004, 5:14:31 PM5/24/04
>From: karens...@cupcaked.com (Petite Gāteaued )

>You just help make my point. Many ships serve lobster that's just as

>bad. The venue may be nicer than Red Lobster, but that doesn't really
>help the food much.
>

>Karen

Last try, Petite Gāteaued,

Part of our cruise experience are the sweetbreads that we special order. I can
get them at home, and will for Father's Day.

Part of our cruise experience is a filet mignon. I can and do get that at
home.

Part of our cruise experience are lobster tails, and while I can get them at
home, or at Red Lobster, they are part of formal nights on a cruise ship.

Maybe you have had tough tails and that is why you are bitter, but Danni and I
love them, and while I cannot speak for her, I know that every tail that I ever
had was sweet and succulent and tender.

Johnn...@webtv.net

May 24, 2004, 5:03:55 PM5/24/04
The first time I went to a "Red Lobster" was about 11/2 months ago.
..I had steak and lobster. ...The steak was excellent, but the lobster
was the same puny thing they offer on the cruise ships.. ...Plus, it
was one of those soft (pasty tasting) guys that you get every so often.
..What causes that? ...Sure can make them taste yukky when they go like
that. ...I had a few on the cruise ship that had gone a little mushy
like this too. ...Jon

Johnn...@webtv.net

May 24, 2004, 5:10:09 PM5/24/04
Hi Bob... I'm aware of the look of "Snow crabs" ...Not as tasty as King,
IMHO. ...Perhaps the HAL ships had an abundance of the "King" variety ,
as some of the cruises that I took had just finished the Alaska run for
the summer. ...Jon

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Johnn...@webtv.net

May 24, 2004, 5:31:55 PM5/24/04
Oh good God, Dick... Don't even mention the roast Tom turkey that HAL
serves on its cruise ships. ...I'm starting to heave already.
..Yuk.. Big thick slabs of that compressed turkey by-products.
..Doesn't even taste like roast turkey. ...At least the lobster tails,
so far, are still real. ...Jon

Becca

May 24, 2004, 5:49:51 PM5/24/04
NY Nurse wrote:
> We have been on 11 cruises (with Celebrity, Norwegian, Carnival, RCCL
> and Princess) and have had lobster on all of them.

I cruised about 15 times before I tried the lobster on a cruise ship.
So far, the best lobster has been on Carnival and Norwegian. I tried
lobster on RCI and Princess and I did not care for it. Maybe they will
make some changes.

Becca <-----enjoyed the Nova Scotia lobster on the Norwegian Dawn...

Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
MOAGC http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com/

Tom & Linda

May 24, 2004, 6:19:37 PM5/24/04

> The first time I went to a "Red Lobster" was about 11/2 months ago.
> ..I had steak and lobster. ...The steak was excellent, but the lobster
> was the same puny thing they offer on the cruise ships.. ...Plus, it
> was one of those soft (pasty tasting) guys that you get every so often.
> ..What causes that? ...

They don't start out that way. Unless it's freezer burn, I'm guessing
there's a good chance that it's bacterial decomposition of the lobster.
Seafood isn't regulated like meat. Boats can go out for weeks (like in The
Perfect Storm) and if you get the lobster that was caught the first day...
it might be on the ship for weeks before it gets back to port and is
properly and completely frozen.

--Tom <---- doesn't go lobster on cruises anymore...

RTCReferee

May 24, 2004, 6:35:52 PM5/24/04
"Tom & Linda" tkan...@optonline.net wrote:

>Boats can go out for weeks (like in The
>Perfect Storm) and if you get the lobster that was caught the first day...
>it might be on the ship for weeks before it gets back to port and is
>properly and completely frozen.

But don't the lobsters remain alive in a tank while on the lobster boat?

Tom & Linda

May 24, 2004, 6:43:34 PM5/24/04

"RTCReferee" <rtcre...@aol.commando> wrote in message

Tanks of salt water don't float very well.

I'm thinking that they do the same that they do with fish. Throw them in
the bottom of the boat (in the storage compartment).... put ice on them...
go out for more the next day... and the next day... until the boat is full.
They're kept cool with ice... but definitely are not flash frozen.

--Tom

Howie

May 24, 2004, 6:45:17 PM5/24/04
RTCReferee wrote:

Whole lobster certainly is, but those tails are always frozen. So who
knows?

Howie

Charles

May 24, 2004, 6:44:26 PM5/24/04
In article <20040524183552...@mb-m01.aol.com>, RTCReferee
<rtcre...@aol.commando> wrote:

> But don't the lobsters remain alive in a tank while on the lobster boat?

A whole Maine Lobster, I think has to have been kept alive until
cooked. Then it could be frozen. Lobster tails can be clipped off an
frozen uncooked.

--
Charles

Danni

May 24, 2004, 6:45:18 PM5/24/04

> This is the reason I can't take Dick's overall opinions on food and
> dining very seriously.

Does that mean you don't take seriously the opinions of every classically
trained chef? They are a delicacy, Karen. Not everyone's cup of tea.

Some people feel the same way about anchovies and escargot as well.

Florence and Lou Roth

May 24, 2004, 6:58:54 PM5/24/04
Becca

What did your lobster tails look like?

We were on the Ncl Dawn in January & our lobster tails were skinny
little mushy things. First time I never asked for seconds!

Florence

Howie

May 24, 2004, 7:23:30 PM5/24/04
Florence and Lou Roth wrote:

> We were on the Ncl Dawn in January & our lobster tails were skinny
> little mushy things. First time I never asked for seconds!

Sounds like the direction that my biceps are headed in these days; and I
never asked for firsts.

Howie

Tom & Linda

May 24, 2004, 7:59:25 PM5/24/04

"Howie" <Tryth...@Ifyouhaveabrain.net> wrote in message

Yes the tails are frozen. But the question is, how quickly are they frozen.
If they sit around for 8-10 days on the boat before they get frozen... it's
easy for bacteria to start doing their thing. If you get one that's picked
the last day the boat is out, and it's frozen 1 day afterward, you'll get a
good one.

And since the FDA doesn't regulate seafood like they do meat... who knows
what you're getting?

--Tom

fishman

May 24, 2004, 8:04:08 PM5/24/04

> Yes the tails are frozen. But the question is, how quickly are they
frozen.
> If they sit around for 8-10 days on the boat before they get frozen...
it's
> easy for bacteria to start doing their thing. If you get one that's
picked
> the last day the boat is out, and it's frozen 1 day afterward, you'll get
> good one.
>
> And since the FDA doesn't regulate seafood like they do meat... who knows
> what you're getting?
>
> --Tom

From what I have seen of lobster boats in the Keys, each day's catch is
frozen as it comes in; a multi-day trip will not have lobster sitting in
the cooler for a few days and then the whole hold frozen at once.

Chris

Tom & Linda

May 24, 2004, 8:10:39 PM5/24/04

"fishman" <fish195...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

If that's true... that's good to know.

But then the question is... what about the rest of the Caribbean?

--Tom

Charles

May 24, 2004, 8:54:07 PM5/24/04
In article <x%vsc.43440$cz5.14...@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net>, Tom &
Linda <tkan...@optonline.net> wrote:

> Yes the tails are frozen. But the question is, how quickly are they frozen.
> If they sit around for 8-10 days on the boat before they get frozen... it's
> easy for bacteria to start doing their thing. If you get one that's picked
> the last day the boat is out, and it's frozen 1 day afterward, you'll get a
> good one.

Lobsters can't sit around. They go bad fast. Lobsters are kept live on
the boats.

--
Charles

MIAMI CRUISER

May 24, 2004, 11:13:38 PM5/24/04
We sailed on Navigator of the Seas recently (7 day) and the only
lobster served was Surf and Turf, with a lobster tail so small that
I've had much bigger shrimp (and I do mean shrimp, not prawns).
Apparently they are cutting corners. I also noticed that there was
only one salad choice offered each night. RCCL always had two salad
choices in the past.

Sue and Kevin Mullen

May 24, 2004, 11:22:59 PM5/24/04

Petite Gâteaued wrote:

> This is the reason I can't take Dick's overall opinions on food and
> dining very seriously.

Because he enjoys sweetbreads? They happen to be a delicacy. I don't
care for them but my DH loves them.

sue

v21A...@aol.com

May 25, 2004, 12:20:46 AM5/25/04

From many of the things Dick said, how can
anyone take anything he says seriously? The
man seems seriously delusional to me.
MaryAnne

In article <40c46aa8...@news.optonline.com>,
karens...@cupcaked.com says...

> This is the reason I can't take Dick's overall opinions on food and
> dining very seriously.
>

> Karen
>

> __ /7__/7__/7__
> \::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews
> (...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

Reef Fish

May 25, 2004, 1:44:08 AM5/25/04

Since you and several others mentioned HAL ships having an abundance of
the "King" variety, I have no reason to doubt it though the only HAL
I had ever booked was blown up shortly before the trip. :-)

The Alaskan "King" variety is characterized by the sharp pointed barbs
and extremely hard shell. The non-meaty part (such as those served in
the Bellagio Casino restaurant in Vegas) is relatively more commonly
served (I prefer large snow crab legs to them) than the chunk meat
portion (which I conservatively estimate costs about $5 an ounce.

Then there's the Caribbean King Crab, which is almost never served,
in restaurants or cruise ships, even in the Caribbean. About once
a week, it's on the "daily special" of the PRIMA restaurant in
Cozumel -- whole King crab, about $30-$45, depending on the size.
The shell is so hard that it's guarantee to break any crab-claw
eating implement :-) except the heavy meat hammer (NOT meant for
cracking crabs) and board that is actually served at the table,
jeapordizing everyone within a table from the King crab diner,
from getting hit by flying King crab morsels splashed from the
hammering.

In Singapore, Hong Kong, and other Asian cities, some of the
restaurants have the Asian King crabs in aquariums, which
serves as the "point and select" menu to select for the meal.
I had some of those in Singapore last month.

In short, there are "king" crabs of different varieties and species
throughout the world, but the best-known, and IMHO best-tasting
ones are the Alaskan King crab, which is never "abundant" in most
ordinary sense of the word "abundant".

-- Bob.

Reef Fish

May 25, 2004, 1:59:23 AM5/25/04
video...@aol.comnojunk (Dick Goldhaber) wrote in message news:<20040524122919...@mb-m13.aol.com>...

> But we were not completely disappointed as they still offer great escargot

These are routinely served in Princess cruise ships (once during a 7 to
10 day cruise) as an appetizer.

Unaccustomed to eating these filthy slugs <G> that I am, I began ordering
it and acquiring a taste for these critters, served in special "bowls"
with six little holes to hold one escargot in each, when on one Tahitian
Princess cruise, I dined on a table with a slim-and-trim gentleman who
ordered TRIPLE portions of that appetizer, to the amazement of everyone
else. :-) I figured it must be good.

-- Bob.

Johnn...@webtv.net

May 25, 2004, 10:10:11 AM5/25/04
I absolutely love escargot. ...Although I was not overly impressed by
the "Sun Princess" cruise I took, the Escargot they served was
definitely tastier than HALs. ...Jon

Dick Goldhaber

May 25, 2004, 11:21:56 AM5/25/04
>From: poco...@webtv.net (Surfer E2468)

>DGinCHERRY HILL:
>Just what do you mean by sweetbreads?I know what my mother said they
>were,and i refused to eat them,if you are talking about the same
>thing,to me it is disgusting

That is why they make chocolate and vanilla. I grew up in a home where I was
always told "how do you know that you don't like it if you haven't tried it."

Sweetbreads are probably exactly what your mother said they were. They are
rather bland which is why they need a good sauce.

leek

May 25, 2004, 11:52:23 AM5/25/04
In article <19826-40B...@storefull-3354.bay.webtv.net>,
poco...@webtv.net (Surfer E2468) wrote:

> Just what do you mean by sweetbreads?I know what my mother said they
> were,and i refused to eat them,if you are talking about the same
> thing,to me it is disgusting

From what I understand sweetbreads are either pancreas or thymus (or
sometimes both). Some consider them a delicacy. I'm not a huge fan. To
each his/her own.

Sue and Kevin Mullen

May 25, 2004, 12:37:28 PM5/25/04

leek wrote:

Dick, Kevin just looked it up and you are right.

sue

Dick Goldhaber

May 25, 2004, 1:04:24 PM5/25/04
>From: Sue and Kevin Mullen kjmu...@comcast.net

>> From what I understand sweetbreads are either pancreas or thymus (or
>> sometimes both). Some consider them a delicacy. I'm not a huge fan. To
>> each his/her own.
>
>Dick, Kevin just looked it up and you are right.

Sue, while I looked it up and knew what it was, I decided not to mention it.
The note that you quoted was not mine.

By the way, the market that has provided us with sweetbreads for the past
several years is apparently closing tomorrow. It used to be owned by the
family and they sold to Genuardi's who sold to the managers who apparently
dropped the ball.

Sue and Kevin Mullen

May 25, 2004, 1:11:31 PM5/25/04

Dick Goldhaber wrote:
>>From: Sue and Kevin Mullen kjmu...@comcast.net
>

>>>From what I understand sweetbreads are either pancreas or thymus (or
>>>sometimes both). Some consider them a delicacy. I'm not a huge fan. To
>>>each his/her own.
>>
>>Dick, Kevin just looked it up and you are right.
>

> Sue, while I looked it up and knew what it was, I decided not to mention it.
> The note that you quoted was not mine.

Sorry about the wrong attribution.

> By the way, the market that has provided us with sweetbreads for the past
> several years is apparently closing tomorrow. It used to be owned by the
> family and they sold to Genuardi's who sold to the managers who apparently
> dropped the ball.

I hope you aren't talking about Zagara(sp)? I know that their new store
has closed or is closing, but I hope the older one is still there.

sue

Danni

May 25, 2004, 2:45:06 PM5/25/04

"Sue and Kevin Mullen" <kjmu...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> I hope you aren't talking about Zagara(sp)? I know that their new store
> has closed or is closing, but I hope the older one is still there.

When we were in on Saturday, the buzz was they were still closing the store
tomorrow.

I stocked up on those things that I found I can only get
there.......sweetbreads included. You might want to run over tonight if you
get something special there.

Dick Goldhaber

May 25, 2004, 4:38:23 PM5/25/04
>From: Sue and Kevin Mullen kjmu...@comcast.net

>I hope you aren't talking about Zagara(sp)? I know that their new store

>has closed or is closing, but I hope the older one is still there.
>
>sue

What Danni said.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Sue and Kevin Mullen

May 25, 2004, 5:25:18 PM5/25/04

Dick Goldhaber wrote:
>>From: Sue and Kevin Mullen kjmu...@comcast.net
>

>>I hope you aren't talking about Zagara(sp)? I know that their new store
>>has closed or is closing, but I hope the older one is still there.
>>
>>sue
>

> What Danni said.

I just emailed Danni and am very sorry to hear that they are closing.

sue

Eileen Garland

May 25, 2004, 6:24:32 PM5/25/04

Petite Gāteaued wrote:
> "Tom & Linda" <tkan...@optonline.net> wrote:
>

>>And since the FDA doesn't regulate seafood like they do meat... who knows
>>what you're getting?
>

> They don't? I wonder why not?

Maybe they can't figure out how to stamp those little clams.

Eileen

Charles

May 25, 2004, 6:32:41 PM5/25/04
In article <40b8b7a5...@news.optonline.com>, Petite Gāteaued
<karens...@cupcaked.com> wrote:

> They don't? I wonder why not?

Because they have never been given the authority by Congress.

--
Charles

Message has been deleted

Tom & Linda

May 25, 2004, 9:44:42 PM5/25/04

> Never did develop a taste for escargot. Always tasted too salty/oily
> for me. Find me a good foie gras or caviar, and I'm in appetizer
> dining heaven.
>
> Karen

Just try dipping the bread into the olive oil and garlic. No need to even
touch the snail part.

Sometimes I'll order it and when I'm done, all that's left is the snails...
but not a drop of olive oil or garlic. They'll ask if I didn't like them...
and I'll explain about the part I like.

--Tom

Message has been deleted

Becca

May 27, 2004, 3:14:04 PM5/27/04
Florence and Lou Roth wrote:
> Becca
>
> What did your lobster tails look like?
>
> We were on the Ncl Dawn in January & our lobster tails were skinny
> little mushy things. First time I never asked for seconds!

The lobsters at our table were pretty good, they were not mushy. Maybe
they found a better supplier or we just had good luck that week.

I was disappointed in the grapefruit. I am accustomed to finding Ruby
Red grapefruits on most cruise ships. It is the first thing I look for
at breakfast. They did not have them on the NCL Dawn. On Carnival and
RCI they serve them sliced in half or in segments. Dee-lish!

Becca <-----loves Ruby Reds...

Sleazy3 http://www.cruisemaster.com/sleazy3.htm
MOAGC http://www.motherofallgroupcruises.com/

JLP20

May 28, 2004, 1:43:54 AM5/28/04
>> We were on the Ncl Dawn in January & our lobster tails were skinny
>> little mushy things.

This shows poor planning by the ship's galley. Lobsters are almost always a
frozen item, which NEED to be thawed slowly over one or two days. Both shrimp
and lobster that are thawed quickly lose that firm texture and turn to mush. On
your trip, someone didn't defrost enough lobster and threw a crate or two into
a warm bath.
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

NY Nurse

May 29, 2004, 12:56:28 AM5/29/04
Escargot...served in a garlicky butter pool with some good bread for
sopping up that sauce...
even better than lobster!! Yum. I'll take a nice cold Chardonnay with
that, too.

662...@127.0.0.1

May 29, 2004, 3:57:19 AM5/29/04

Escargot! In hot garlic butter! OMG! That's beeter then first time sex with
a new partner! Not quite as good as second time, but damn close!

Cold Chardonnay for me also, thank you.

Randy

BlueM0ZARK

May 29, 2004, 9:00:59 AM5/29/04
>Escargot...served in a garlicky butter pool with some good bread for
sopping up that sauce<

geeeesh, snails...yeah, that's good eatin...
we call them slugs where I come from.

SNUMBER6

May 29, 2004, 9:45:48 AM5/29/04
>From: kraut...@webtv.net (NY Nurse)

Usually Escargot is served on Lobster night ... Once ... my waiter saw how much
I enjoyed the appetizer brought me another serving with dinner .. only since
they were out of the usual ... I got a Chef's Specialty Escargot ...Really
terrific ... Brought to me by the most memorably named waiter ... Zoltan Attila

Be seeing you
In the Village
Number 6

Howie

May 29, 2004, 10:31:18 AM5/29/04
SNUMBER6 wrote:

Nice. I always order doubles of Escargot.

Howie

Grey Wolf

Jun 9, 2004, 7:56:36 PM6/9/04
On Sun, 23 May 2004 20:54:41 GMT, "Harry Jones" <hjo...@prodigy.net>
wrote:

>I always thought that one of the
>mandatory requirements for a cruise was that lobster was served at least one
>night. I have found that the case on all my previous cruises until now.
>On a recent 5 day RCCI cruise (Voyager ots) lobster (tails) never made an
>appearance.
>Is this another attempt to pare
>costs, or was it an isolated
>instance?

Hi Harry,
I was on Voyager back on 4/4/04 sailing, and we also were not served
lobster. I was very disappointed, and it's the sole reason I've since
been thinking about going on Caribbean Princess - just for the
lobster! :-)
However, I did get lobster bisque during one of the dining nights, and
lobster spaghetti at the Portofinos. Both dishes were very good, but
not as good as lobster dipped in melted butter.

David

RTCReferee

Jun 9, 2004, 8:20:48 PM6/9/04
Grey Wolf phony...@phonyemail.com wrote:

>I was on Voyager back on 4/4/04 sailing, and we also were not served
>lobster. I was very disappointed, and it's the sole reason I've since
>been thinking about going on Caribbean Princess - just for the
>lobster! :-)

The lobster we were served on the Star Princess in the extra-pay restaurant
last year was horrible.

I wouldn't be booking Princess if lobster were high on my list of must-haves.
Come to think of it, I have no plans to book Princess in the near future
anyway, especially not the ships which have displaced the Vista Lounge with
Club Fusion.

And we do enjoy delicious lobster.

clint

Jun 9, 2004, 8:29:36 PM6/9/04
You worry about lobster when our former president is being hauled hither and
yon to satisfy network moguls!
"Grey Wolf" <phony...@phonyemail.com> wrote in message

Crescent

Jun 10, 2004, 2:04:30 AM6/10/04
The nature of a cruise ship isn't one that would have thousands of
live lobsters just waiting to be dunked into a bath of boiling water.
What you get on just about any cruise is frozen tail that has been
thawed. I really don't see the attraction to not having access to
second rate lobster. If you want good lobster, then spend some time
in New England when they're in season.
Message has been deleted

MLD

Jun 10, 2004, 9:11:16 AM6/10/04
*Ditto-Ditto* Those that enjoy the cruise lobsters just don't know what a
fresh boiled/steamed or baked stuff lobster tastes like. Used to week-end in
Maine on Sebago Lake for years and one of the family treats was to get about
15 lobsters and 10-15 lbs of steamed clams and have a ball.
MLD

"CupCaked" <karens...@cupcaked.com> wrote in message

> Exactly what I've always said. Good lobster on a cruise ship is a
> fluke. Nice if you get it, but don't expect it. I could never
> understand the brouhaha over "lobster night."

> __ /7__/7__/7__
> \::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::...
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> http://www.cupcaked.com/reviews
> (...and leave off the "potatoes" to e-mail)

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Johnn...@webtv.net

Jun 10, 2004, 10:54:35 AM6/10/04
I think the "lobster-night" on the cruise ships has become, perhaps, the
last remaining dining experience synonymous with "class". ...It isn't so
much the thrill of having it, but to see it disappear from the menu, is
an ever more indication that the food on board is slipping into the 7-11
pre-packaged quality.

..I find it kind of ironic (and surprising) to read that lobster is
served on the US Navy Aircraft Carriers. ...I wonder how soon before we
approach the cruise ship dining table, only to find a can of spam
sitting there? ...Jon

Brian K

Jun 10, 2004, 3:12:38 PM6/10/04
For anyone overnighting near Newark NJ before going on a cruise from the
port in Bayonne or NYC we locals have a great place for lobster. At:
http://www.iberiarestaurants.com/ The Iberia Tavern, at 80-84 Ferry St.
Is a great Portuguese restaurant. On weekdays from noon to 4:00 pm you
can get 1lb 1/4 lobster for $12.00 boiled or broiled or $13.00 With
Garlic Sauce and $14.00 Stuffed. The lobster comes with a plate of
yellow rice, vegetables, and Portuguese style pan fried potatoes.

--
________
To email me, Edit "xt" from my email address.
Brian M. Kochera

On 06/10/2004 10:32 AM CupCaked consulted a Magic 8 Ball and declared:

>Of course, that's BAR Harbor, Maine :-) Maybe they also have great
>lobster in Nar Harbor ...
>
>karens...@cupcaked.com (CupCaked) wrote:
>

>>We used to go to a place in Nar Harbor, Maine, that had the most
>>incredible fresh lobster ... just pulled out of the water ... with
>>corn on the cob and butter, mmm!
>>
>>Now, I'm hungry.

Sue and Kevin Mullen

Jun 10, 2004, 4:26:26 PM6/10/04

Brian K wrote:
> For anyone overnighting near Newark NJ before going on a cruise from the
> port in Bayonne or NYC we locals have a great place for lobster. At:
> http://www.iberiarestaurants.com/ The Iberia Tavern, at 80-84 Ferry St.
> Is a great Portuguese restaurant. On weekdays from noon to 4:00 pm you
> can get 1lb 1/4 lobster for $12.00 boiled or broiled or $13.00 With
> Garlic Sauce and $14.00 Stuffed. The lobster comes with a plate of
> yellow rice, vegetables, and Portuguese style pan fried potatoes.

This is one I don't know, but there are several excellant Portuguese
restaurants in the Newark, NJ area. Spain was one of our favorites,
don't know if it is still there any more.

sue

It is loading more messages.