SS BRITTANIS or SS AMERIKANIS

MICHAEL DUNATOV

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
Anyone out there ex pax on either ship? I would love to hear your stories
and send them on to a man I know who is trying to get them back into
service.

The more positive comments received the greater the chance we'll see these
ships sailing again someday.

Carl.denver

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
I worked on both as Photographer. The Amerikanis was my first ship in 1990
sailing from San Juan to Venezuela. Despite being Greek ships they were a
hoot to work on and the crew moral was always high. This obviously reflects
in the servise to the pax. Good itineries too with the Britannis doing
Cozumel etc. The Brit was a bit old though with DC electricity in our cabin.
Anyway, I would personally love to see these old tugs back at work.
shipp...@hotmail.com www.btinternet.com/~cdp

MICHAEL DUNATOV wrote in message
<7m0aj7$238s$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>...

John Coan

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
Carl,
I was docked next to the Britanis once and really enjoyed seeing her. The dual
funnels were cool. I was amazed that this ship, built some time in the 1930's,
was still in service.

Regarding your comment on DC, I'm curious if the ship furnished the crew with
appliances or just what? What was the voltage, by the way? (Not that a
transformer would work <g>)
JC

2albans

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99

My sister and I went on our first cruise in 1979 (yipes - 20 years ago!)on the
Brittanis. I can still remember looking up at her in San Juan and being amazed
by her size... She must look pretty tiny now, compared to all those mega-
liners.
The crew was great and very friendly. We were invited nightly to the crew disco
on one of the open decks and as a result, we hardly noticed there were
no single male passengers on board (in our age group - see below!)
On that cruise, we were sharing the ship with over 300 Puerto Rican
high school students on a class trip. We did have to turn around on our
way back to San Juan, when one of them fell overboard very early one
morning... (As far as I know, he was rescued.) No real horror stories with
them, however.
What can I say? - it was my first cruise. The ship was perfect, the crew
was fabulous, the food was wonderful, the itinerary was great (a port a day -
couldn't do that now) and it got me totally hooked on cruising. Since then, I
have been on nicer ships with better food and more interesting ports, but the
Brittanis stands out as a sentimental favorite!

Nancy in Boston <---going to dig out my Brittanis photo album now....

In article <7m0aj7$238s$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>, "MICHAEL says...

Peter Bugda

Jul 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/7/99
My introduction to cruising was on the Victoria and the Amerikanis. They
were great ships...terrific food and service and delightful
entertainment....a very happy experience for us.....I thought their
pastry cook was the best ever...including the 20+ cruises We`ve taken
since then. It`s not surprising, now that I look back upon it, that it
was the beginning of Celebrity.
Peter in Fl.

que sera sera

Stephan in Burlington

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
As the Captain guided the mv Perfecto to her next port, Your P
<pixf...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>their Regina Prima. The price was cheap ... and the ports
>spectacular .. and oooooooh their buffet "magnifique" ;-)!

Interesting that you should mention Regina Prima. I have just
finished reading "Modern Cruise Ships 1965-1990" and she is on page
75. The picture is of her at the breakers, with most of her bow
section already removed. In my not so humble opinion, sending ships
to the breakers is a travesty. At least scuttling allows them a
decent burial.

Anyway, FYI, Regina Prima was built by Bethlehem Steel in 1939, she
was 10,603 GRT, and had previously been the the Panama and the
President Hoover.

Stephan

Go Mets

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
Hi we have been on the Brittanis 3 times on 3 day cruise to nowhere out
of NYC back in the 80's. Did not do the Amerikanis. We allways had a
great time on her .And the food was very good.I won a $500 Bingo on her
,The only time i ever won any Bingo on all the 52 cruise we have been
The NYC cruises allways had more of a party people. We stayed up all
night ,and sleep by the pool druing the day.Our cabin had a porthole
that open up !!! If she was still doing the NY cruise i would do her
again. I realy hope they save her .I think she is still in Tampa.I have
been hereing that she may becom a Hotel she in S.F.
Ken.....>
(www.worldshipny.com)

Have a good day.

Carl.denver

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
I can't remember what voltage it was, but we did have to use transformers to
run our own TVs etc.
I was on board when we had 22 crew cabins catch fire from Nassau to Miami.
Overloaded electric socket in one of the Philippino cabins caused the fire
with no casualties but the loss of belongings to the other philippino
cabins. The crew did a whip-round to give them some money for clothes, as
well as our spare clothes. I must say that the Greek officers were very
efficient and hard-working that night and prevented a possible catastrophe.
Not often we talk highly of the Greek officers, but hats off to them in this
instance.
shipp...@hotmail.com Carl (photog)

Mark E. Lamb

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99
My wife & I took a short 5 day cruise on the Britannis in 91 from Miami to Key
West & Mexico for a cruise only deal for $195PP. We loved the ship with its
unique little hide away spots on board. The lower stern deck with its wicker
furniture was our favorite spot & hardly anyone could find it. The food was
some of the best we ever had on any cruise to date. My wife had to go to one
of the "ironing rooms" to use her hair blower because of the DC electric. We
met an old gent at the beginning of the cruise who seemed a bit puzzled and
stated that there was something very familiar about the ship. Later in the
cruise we ran into him again & he told us that he didn't recognize her from
her war days when he was on her as a troop carrier in the Pacific during
W.W.II named the Monterey. She was built in Mass. in 1932 & when we were on
her in 91, she was the oldest U.S. built cruise ship still afloat. Also to her
credit, she had shot down Japanese enemy plane during her service. During
beginning of the U.S. intervention in Haiti she was leased to the U.S.
military & used as an R&R vessel. The last I heard was she was scheduled to be
scrapped this past spring south Florida. She was truely an Ace of a ship! No
problem mon.

rosaly greenberger

Jul 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/8/99

In 1969 my husband and I went on our very first cruise - It was from NY
to Bermuda on the Amerikanis.

When we arrived at the dock, we were told we were upgraded to the suite
on the Sun Deck and it was lovely. In those days, you could have a
farewell party onboard and we still have the photos of the party and it
brings back many beautful memories.

I was scared to death of getting seasick but managed with some capsules
at the time called Triptone and it was the beginning of our cruising
life.

We have been on 27 cruises since that one but it really sold us on
sailing. We ran into a small storm on the way back but those pills
saved me. We met wonderful people and the food and shows were great.

One funny incident we always recall is that one lady missed the last
tender out of Bermuda and suddenly we heard the whooping of a police
launch. Everyone hung over the side to watch this poor embarassed lady
with all her shopping bags being pushed up the rope ladder. And we all
applauded but I think she never came 0ut ofher cabin for the rest of the
journey.

So my memories of the Amerikanis are vivid. rosaly
"

Lisa & Jerry

Jul 9, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/9/99
I also sailed on the Britannis some years ago. Aah, Chandris/Fantasy Cruise
Lines! What more could a single young lady in her early 20's look for in a
safe, comfortable, affordable and yet luxurious cruise. The first thing I
did when I bought my first computer over two years ago was research on the
Internet what had happened to my long last friend. It truly breaks my heart
to think that she sits alone, soon to be departed. You can take every RCL
and Carnival ship and put them all together, but I would still choose the
Britannis every time! THAT was what cruising was all about!

Please keep us informed on the progress of saving this grand old ladies.

VarsityNJ

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
You can read about the project to convert the Britanis (now known as the
Belofin) to a hotel at: http://members.aol.com/thelurline.

CupCaked

Jul 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/11/99
On 11 Jul 1999 20:14:35 GMT, vars...@aol.comnospam (VarsityNJ)
wrote:

>You can read about the project to convert the Britanis (now known as the
>Belofin) to a hotel at: http://members.aol.com/thelurline.

Best of luck and kudos to Chris Kyte and the project team on getting
this fine ship back into use. She would certainly be an asset to the
San Francisco waterfront. And once again, Kevin Tam did a great job
with web design.

______...@SPUDSnac.net__________________
Please leave off the potatoes to e-mail

Sue Whitfield

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
My first cruise was on the Brittanis! WOW what food they had!
We had a inside mid ship cabin that was fairly large! I was 7 months
pregnant and we went for our 8th wedding anniversary! I met some of the
nicest folks that now 15 years later, we still correspond and see one
another!
THe ship was old. Many love this ship! I was a bit disappointed because of
how old it really was, looked like a battleship, But the food was ohh so
splendid! I now prefer the cruise ships of today nmuch better! But there was
something special about the Brittanis..
Sue

MICHAEL DUNATOV wrote in message
<7m0aj7$238s$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>...

Ken Heatley

Jul 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/13/99
> MICHAEL DUNATOV wrote in message
> <7m0aj7$238s$1...@newssvr03-int.news.prodigy.com>...
> >Anyone out there ex pax on either ship? I would love to hear your stories
> >and send them on to a man I know who is trying to get them back into
> >service.
> >
> >The more positive comments received the greater the chance we'll see these
> >ships sailing again someday.

The Britanis is dear to our hearts since we sailed around So. America on
her for 47 days. Everything was in the grand style of the old cruising
days, even down to the ship's officers wearing the old-fasioned uniforms
with the high collars. The food? Delighful! The entertainment? First
rate!
At the time (1988, I think), she was the oldest cruise ship still in
service, having been built in 1934. The brass casement windows on
her promenade deck were all original as was the rattan furniture on her
quarter deck along with displays of the original ship's telgraph and
compass binnacle. She was indeed a ship to remember. Built before the
days of stablizers, she took the rough seas better and smoother than
her more modern counterparts.
However, with passage of the modern SOLAS requirements, she was
considered too old to be updated. The last I heard she was retired
to Europe somewhere to serve as a floating restaurant. If any one has
any late news, I'd enjoy reading about it.

Bill

Jul 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/16/99
The page will not display.....please check and repost the add. so many of us
i am sure would would be interested in the "Lurline" she is my first
LOVE...
was a Res. agent for Matson in 53 - 57 {1953} that is.... and booked Bing
Crosby and family for one on these cruises to paridise and then it was....
dispatched the Lurline many times and the Matsonia also...but the Lurline
WAS my first Love...
Have three of her Original [every day printed] menues framed inmy dinning
room with the art decco covers in full color --- WOW that was
Class.....!!!!
--
Best Wishes
Bill [no...he's not that old...hehehe....YES he is ]

como...@dconn.com
MEN On The MOVE
A Travel Company

CupCaked <kar...@SPUDSnac.net> wrote in message

CupCaked

Jul 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM7/17/99
On Fri, 16 Jul 1999 21:23:21 -0000, "Bill" <como...@dconn.com> wrote:

>The page will not display

Your webreader may be picking up the period in the URL of that
sentence, Bill. Try this:

http://members.aol.com/thelurline/

(posted and e-mailed)

karen...@nac.net
(leave off the potatoes to e-mail)
http://www.unofficial.net/cupcaked

mendez....@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2015, 6:22:31 PM6/21/15
Hi Carl! My husband and sister in law went in it in 1991.. We would like to know the name of the Captain that year... Thanks. Email: mendez....@gmail.com

mendez....@gmail.com

Jun 21, 2015, 6:24:58 PM6/21/15
Hi!! My husband and sister in law traveled in the amerikanis and we wanted to know the captains name in the sumner of 1991. She was a friend of the captain's son and wanted to know their names... Thanks!!

Email mendez....@gmail.com

lee...@dodo.com.au

Aug 4, 2015, 9:30:15 PM8/4/15

cortd...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2020, 5:33:18 PM7/27/20
I travelled to Australia as a 10£Pom in about 1970 can remember the crew striking , and being stuck in port of Naples!