Questions for kensi.

1 view

arrowhead

Dec 25, 2022, 2:36:20 PM12/25/22
Who is really responsible for global warming?

Should all air travel be banned to prevent global warming?

How many tons of pollution and BTUs per hour are all these aircraft
producing?

https://flightaware.com/live/

Klaus Schadenfreude

Dec 25, 2022, 2:42:38 PM12/25/22
Better you should ask the self-proclaimed "astrophysicist" why he
claims to be in a field that produces enough climate change effect to
rival some countries.

Astronomy's contribution to climate change rivals the emissions from
some countries
https://www.npr.org/2022/03/21/1087203642/astronomys-contribution-to-climate-change-rivals-the-emissions-from-some-countri

A new estimate of the greenhouse gas emissions linked to all ground-
and space-based telescopes, in the journal Nature Astronomy, says the
annual carbon footprint of astronomy's research infrastructure is
equivalent to about 20 million metric tons of carbon dioxide.

"Just to give you some perspective — 20 million tonnes of CO2 — this
is the annual carbon footprint of countries like Estonia, Croatia, or
Bulgaria," says Jürgen Knödlseder, an astronomer at IRAP, an
astrophysics laboratory in France.

And that's just from using the telescopes — it doesn't include things
like scientists' travel to conferences, supercomputing power and
office heating. "For our lab, the total is actually about 50 tonnes of
equivalent CO2 per year an astronomer," he says.

Hughes believes that astronomers need to set an example when it comes
to action to mitigate climate change. "If we as scientists do not
react to the reports and warnings from our colleagues," she says,
"then it's a bit like your dad telling you that you shouldn't smoke,
while he himself is smoking a cigarette. Why would you take his word
seriously?"