Micro-Motor?

Keith Swingruber

Sep 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/19/96

Would someone care to expound on "Micro-Motors"?
Like what are they, how well do they work, and
are they worth the price?
-- Thanx!
Keith Swingruber
any...@teleport.com

--
any...@teleport.COM Public Access User -- Not affiliated with Teleport
Public Access UNIX and Internet at (503) 220-1016 (2400-28800, N81)

Sander Plomp

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

mag...@together.net (Matt Agnew) wrote:

>any...@teleport.com (Keith Swingruber) wrote:
>>Would someone care to expound on "Micro-Motors"?

>>Like what are they...
>
>They're little red motors encased in a small plastic square. They are
>geared rather low and don't have tremendous torque. But neither would
>you if you were that big.
>
>>... how well do they work...
>
>Great, considering the size.

But really noisy :-)

>>...and are they worth the price?
>
>Yeah, I think so. Pretty amazing little boxes, if you ask me. I've
>bought a couple extra from S@H. This motor also comes in #6484 F1
>Hauler (my second of which I bought mostly for the motor) and 6483
>Coastal Patrol (which I think is discontinued. I was tipped off to
>one on sale locally by Sander Plomp (Sander, wheredja go?))

I'm still here! But three camping trips in a row has kept me busy for
a while. (Taking of sales, Ames in the Uni mall has 20% off all LEGO
(and a model of a big dragon on display) and Timesless Toys in Essex
Towne Marketplace will have a 20% off everything sales sep 27-oct 6)

> , as well
>as the 8480 Space Shuttle, which I am currently in the middle of
>sorting into ice cube trays for quicker assembly (IT'S HUGE). The one

You're so lucky, the new shuttle ... I want one I want one I want one.
And I'm in the middle of a serious cashflow problem.

>in the coastal patrol didn't have the little snap-on "frame" that
>allows it to be used as a brick, which limits its usefulness somewhat.
>The one you order from S@H has this, however.
>
>In short, two thumbs up.
>Matt

What I like best thing about the micro motor is that it's small and
usually can be used without gearing. This means you can make things
really small.

--
Sander Plomp pl...@together.net

Doug Weathers

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

In article <324aa693...@news.together.net>, pl...@together.net
(Sander Plomp) wrote:

[snipped discussion of the micromotor]

>What I like best thing about the micro motor is that it's small and
>usually can be used without gearing. This means you can make things
>really small.

What sorts of things do you make with the micromotor? I just bought one
and it's a solution looking for a problem. I wanted it to lift the leg of
a Lego walker but the output pulley slips too much to hold up the weight
of the model.

I'm considering gluing the pulley to the output shaft, but I would like
some opinions from those with more experience before I try it.

Speaking of gearing, my parents bought me a set they thought was a motor,
but it was a pair of reduction gearboxes. One was straight through, and
the other had a right angle built in. They bought it in Holland, and the
box was labeled in Dutch, so I don't know if they were ever sold in the
US. I'd really love to get my hands on more of these babies - anyone got?

>--
>Sander Plomp pl...@together.net

--
Doug Weathers 4716 NE 8th | On a clear disk
dwea...@stonenj.rain.com Portland, OR 97211 | you can seek forever

Matthew Bates

Oct 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/1/96

Doug Weathers wrote:

> What sorts of things do you make with the micromotor? I just bought one
> and it's a solution looking for a problem. I wanted it to lift the leg of
> a Lego walker but the output pulley slips too much to hold up the weight
> of the model.
>
> I'm considering gluing the pulley to the output shaft, but I would like
> some opinions from those with more experience before I try it.

Hmm. I had the opposite problem with my first attempt at a motorized
level crossing (see my WebSite). I just attached the barriers directly to
the pulley with a x2 axle. When the barrier went right down against its stop
the Micro Motor jammed solid and wouldn't reverse. I thought the pulley would
slip on its friction bearing but it didn't. I had to drive the barrier
indirectly via a rubber belt in the end. (Actually it's better because
it gears it down a bit more.)

> Speaking of gearing, my parents bought me a set they thought was a motor,
> but it was a pair of reduction gearboxes. One was straight through, and
> the other had a right angle built in. They bought it in Holland, and the
> box was labeled in Dutch, so I don't know if they were ever sold in the
> US. I'd really love to get my hands on more of these babies - anyone got?

I saw one of these somewhere once (in an old UK catalog I think) they were for
the old 4.5V Technic motor. I'd be interested to know if they work with a 9V
motor. That would be cool (of course then I'd want one too!)

Matt

--
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/train_depot

Dr Robert J. Bursill

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

Doug Weathers (do...@rdrop.com) wrote:

: Speaking of gearing, my parents bought me a set they thought was a motor,

: but it was a pair of reduction gearboxes. One was straight through, and
: the other had a right angle built in. They bought it in Holland, and the
: box was labeled in Dutch, so I don't know if they were ever sold in the
: US. I'd really love to get my hands on more of these babies - anyone got?

Funnily enough, I saw two supplementary sets in a toy store the
other day. I think they were about 15 years old and had one of the old
4.5V motors as well as a 1:20 reduction box plus some chain links
and other stuff.

Robert Bursill

Sander Plomp

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

do...@rdrop.com (Doug Weathers) wrote:

>In article <324aa693...@news.together.net>, pl...@together.net
>(Sander Plomp) wrote:
>>
>>What I like best thing about the micro motor is that it's small and
>>usually can be used without gearing. This means you can make things
>>really small.
>

>What sorts of things do you make with the micromotor? I just bought one
>and it's a solution looking for a problem. I wanted it to lift the leg of
>a Lego walker but the output pulley slips too much to hold up the weight
>of the model.

I'm currently in a vehicle phase and mainly use it for steering. It's
a bit weak for something that steers heavy but you can always use some
extra gearing. A normal motor is difficult to use for steering
vehicles because all the gearing you need to slow it down enough to be
usable.

Other good uses would be to operate doors or turn tables etc. Stuff
that doesn't require much power, but needs low speeds and fit in as
little space as possible.

The micromotor is generally useless to really drive something unless
it is something very small.

Some nice technic uses of the micromotor can be found in the
multimodel control set, the one that first introduced the micromotor.
There it is used:
1) for steering a car
2) for driving a 'selector' to distribute the power of a normal
motor.
3) to drive a off/forward/backward switch in conjunction with other

stuff to create a 'wandering' model.
4) to rotate the propellers of a VTOL plane up and forward.

A few town sets also use it to power a small model, one that could not
possibly fit a normal motor.

>I'm considering gluing the pulley to the output shaft, but I would like
>some opinions from those with more experience before I try it.

Don't. My guess is that the slip is on purpose, a mechanical
protection of the motor. If you glue it the motor may burnout.
As an alternative you might add e.g. a 1:3 gear reduction and see if
that solves the problem.

>Speaking of gearing, my parents bought me a set they thought was a motor,
>but it was a pair of reduction gearboxes. One was straight through, and
>the other had a right angle built in. They bought it in Holland, and the
>box was labeled in Dutch, so I don't know if they were ever sold in the
>US. I'd really love to get my hands on more of these babies - anyone got?

There are ancient and rare! Well, not really ancient but they haven't
been sold for a long time. Both are 1:20 reductions to be added to the
4.5V motor. It will give you a combined unit larger than the motor but
lower speed and more torque. I don't think they were sold for very
long, I guess a snare drive to a large pulley gave much the same
effect for less cost. The current 'worm wheel gearbox' is also a good
way to do it.

As for getting more of those old gearboxes: you'll have to rely on
auctions and lucky finds like your parents had.

--
Sander Plomp pl...@together.net

Jeff Elliott

Oct 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/2/96

Doug Weathers wrote:

> In article <324aa693...@news.together.net>, pl...@together.net
> (Sander Plomp) wrote:
>
> [snipped discussion of the micromotor]
>

> >What I like best thing about the micro motor is that it's small and
> >usually can be used without gearing. This means you can make things
> >really small.
>
> What sorts of things do you make with the micromotor? I just bought one
> and it's a solution looking for a problem. I wanted it to lift the leg of
> a Lego walker but the output pulley slips too much to hold up the weight
> of the model.
>
> I'm considering gluing the pulley to the output shaft, but I would like
> some opinions from those with more experience before I try it.

Hmmm. I assume you're talking about a slip occurring between the
rotating
pip on the end of the motor, and the gray pulley/axle bushing combo that
snaps on to it?

I'd guess that you need more torque for your project - my micromotors
will stall before they slip. Why not hook a micromotor to each end
of the drive shaft, wired to drive the shaft together? That'll boost
the power.

If you mean that you're putting a belt around the gray part and it's
slipping, well, consider using two belts at opposite ends of a shaft
driven by the micromotor. I've used that option before.

If you are still too low on power, consider reducing the demands of your
project - Sadly, Lego just isn't strong enough for some tasks. I've
heard of a researcher who was prototyping a robot arm in Lego, and
quickly discovered that axles will *shear*, given enough torque.

Ways of reducing demands include lightening your project - don't carry
a battery box; use few pieces or a lighter framework. You say that
you're
lifting the leg of a walker: is lifting the *leg* the problem? Or is
is putting the leg *down* again, and therefore lifting the model that's
the problem?

Either way, I've discovered that redesigning a leg to use mostly
horizontal motion, and as little vertical as possible, is key to
smooth motion and not stressing the motors. Also, gearing two or
more legs with opposite motions together helps; one leg is raising
the model as the other lowers it, and the motor is simply overcoming
friction (which is not inconsequential, with Lego!). I have built a
small, 6-legged walker which carries a small (single 9v battery) pack
and runs smoothly on a single micromotor.

In the end, it may be necessary to gear down the micromotor, but
not by much - often a small bushing to pulley traction belt (or two)
will suffice.

Tell me how it works out - with more details, we could probably
offer better advice!

Jeff

Dr Robert J. Bursill

Oct 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/3/96

Dr Robert J. Bursill (ph...@nntp.unsw.EDU.AU) wrote:
: Doug Weathers (do...@rdrop.com) wrote:

: : Speaking of gearing, my parents bought me a set they thought was a motor,

: : but it was a pair of reduction gearboxes. One was straight through, and
: : the other had a right angle built in. They bought it in Holland, and the
: : box was labeled in Dutch, so I don't know if they were ever sold in the
: : US. I'd really love to get my hands on more of these babies - anyone got?

: Funnily enough, I saw two supplementary sets in a toy store the

: other day. I think they were about 15 years old and had one of the old
: 4.5V motors as well as a 1:20 reduction box plus some chain links
: and other stuff.

: Robert Bursill

What's more, a guy is auctioning one of these, as well as a number of
other original supplementary sets. See:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/eric_lukac_kuruc/lego7080.htm
for for a picture of the set no. 872.

Cheers,

Robert Bursill

Javier Ramos

Oct 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/4/96

I think 872 is one of the boxes with a record of
permanence in retail, from 1978 until 1989. But
probably a poor seller.

Javier

zwge...@gmail.com

Oct 29, 2015, 1:57:37 AM10/29/15
Sell:
China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in designing, manufacturing and marketing all kinds of electric motors. They are mainly suitable for the following applications: smart home application used in smart kitchen and laundry, medical instrument for personal care, smart E-transmission applied in automobile, industry automation applied in telecommunication and a great variety of plastic/metal planetary gearbox in different sizes.
In order to develop the oversea market, we are current seeking new partners around the world to create a bright future together. ZhaoWei is a right choice and excellent partnership with sincere services.

Company: Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co., Ltd
Contact: Anny Liu
Tel:+86-755-27322652
Fax:+86-755-27323949
E-mail:sa...@zwgearbox.com
Add: Blk. 18, Longwangmiao Industry Park, Fuyong Tn., Bao’an Dist., Shenzhen 518103, Guangdong, China

Your Name

Oct 29, 2015, 2:14:34 AM10/29/15
In article <acf5ee5b-44b3-4b69...@googlegroups.com>,
<zwge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sell:
> China Shenzhen ZHAOWEI Machinery & Electronics Co. Ltd engages in
scumbag, lazy-ass spamming of newsgroups and intelligent should avoid
having *any*thing to do with them at all.

zwge...@gmail.com

derjoshder

Feb 22, 2017, 10:55:24 AM2/22/17
Dear fellow subscribers of the LEGO(TM) Newsgroup,

I had always dreamed of a

soap bubble machine.

So when I had built a centrifugal pump for water from LEGO parts and
found out that it works as an air pump, too, that idea came to my mind
again.

With a lot of fumbling and redesigning I ended up with something really
beautiful that I wanted to share with the LEGO community.

Thus, I created an account at ideas.lego.com and uploaded the model.

Now I am asking you all, to have a look at it (and - yes - to click the
support button if you like it)

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/167790

And the video, to see the machine in action. It will brighten up your mind!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/dR4OkHSr79Y

Thank you for reading and watching!

DerJoshDer

Jacob Sparre Andersen