My Minifigs' Day at Work

Susan Hoover

Dec 13, 1996, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/13/96

I don't really have one favorite minifig, so I decided to take
my shoebox of townies (about 100) and a pile of space guys (about
24). I also took an extra large grey baseplate and a BT2 landing
plate.

The day started reasonably quietly. As soon as we got to work, the
space guys lined themselves up in formation at the corners of the
landing plate. They spent the rest of the day there watching me
type.

The townies started out in their shoebox, but they quickly got
bored just lying there. Several of them crawled out and started
building a human^H^H^H^H^Hminifig pyramid in the middle of the
grey baseplate. They got about 3 layers high before they started
giggling uncontrollably and leaning precariously. They didn't
actually fall over until we were on our way home in the car.

Several others started doing some bizarre line dance. I couldn't
tell whether it was the Conga, the Can-Can, or the Bunny Hop.
Anyway, it started out as a simple line of 3 or 4 minifigs, but
by the end of the day there was a snaking line of about 20, all
with their right legs sticking straight out in front of them.

A few fishermen in life vests found some yellow plates that had
been left on the x-large baseplate. I guess they thought it was
a pier or something, because they sat down and started drinking
beer. They were joined later in the day by a few more fishing
buddies.

I had taken along an 1847 bag for the express purpose of freeing
a greenie on this special day. Immediately after I ripped open
the bag, he grabbed his legs, stuck his flag on his head, and
ran over to sit on the baseplate to watch the line dance. From
his big smile, I could tell he was very glad to be rescued.

Around lunchtime, my NLSO called from home to tell me that CNN
had run a story on "Take Your Favorite Minifig to Work" day. I
said, "Really?!" and was thrilled to think that some oddball at
CNN had found out about it. Of *course* he was kidding, the meanie.
He's been giving me grief ever since he found out about TYFMTW Day.
Take that, Styrene Boy! (He hangs out in rec.models.scale or
whatever it's called.)

The rest of the townies started getting really rowdy. One of them
overturned a park bench and was showing off his handstands. Several
others picked up huge bricks to throw at each other. Finally the
police had to be called out, but there were only 4 of them versus
100 rowdy townspeople, so they enlisted the aid of the fire
department.

I can see now that the riots and everything could have been avoided
if I had *only* taken to work something for the townies to do. I
forgot to take any beverage glasses, picks, shovels, wheelbarrows,
etc.

My boss came in and decided to make some of the idle townies do the
Hokey Pokey. One townie got so excited he had to stand in the middle
of the ring and show off how high he could "put his left foot in."
A smaller group was slightly ahead -- they were on "put your left
foot out."

Jailbreak Joe made an appearance (aha! was JbJ the first named mf?)
and was promptly apprehended by an overzealous volunteer fireman.
Unfortunately, his method of apprehending was to place his foot
firmly on Joe's stomach.

One of the Apollo astronauts showed up, in spacesuit but sans Moon
Walker.

One fellow in a race jumpsuit was breakdancing, and a gymnast girl
was trying to do the splits (and almost succeeding).

All in all, the day was a huge success.

--
Susan Hoover, 71061...@compuserve.com
This message does not constitute consent to receive bulk email. Senders of unsolicited commercial email will be assessed a $50/Kbyte storage fee.

tim_courtney

Dec 15, 1996, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/15/96

In article <591v6t$p...@frazier.backbone.ou.edu>, je...@teubner.com says...

>In <AED76F62...@dialup-164-79.insync.net>, 71061...@compuserve.com (Susan Hoover) writes:
>

>>Jailbreak Joe made an appearance (aha! was JbJ the first named mf?)
>
>I believe that honor belongs to the pirate line, with Captain Redbeard
>and General Broadsides.
>
>PS Bringing 120+ minifigs to work ... you're *cool* ... :^)
>
>I'm waiting to here that Sonya brought a crate of figures.
>
>--
>
>je...@teubner.com "New! Improved for 1997! NOW WITH MORE EVIL!!"
>
>LEGO SP+++1(6986) CA+++2(6071) PI+++3(6276) MOC++ #++ LS++ S-/++ Hnr YB67M

----
Well, I better tell about my minifigs' day at school. They didn't have a
very comfortable ride (in my pocket), but once they got to school, they got
first-class treatment (except for alien monsters [mean classmates]). First
period, I had an algebra test, and they got to watch me take that. Second
period, a Spanish test (guess what they did during that!). Third, P.E.,
they got to sit on the teacker's desk! (talk about treatment!) Fourth
period, an English test, but they stayed in my pocket, and the same during
lucnh. But in fifth period, they helped me calculate the orbit of Mars for
Astronomy class (the Ice Planet guys helped me a lot! :-) ). Sixth, was
study hall, and they saw some other minifigs playing the part of the
Israelites crossing the Red Sea in a video. Seventh was the second "Israel
Day" in Old Testament, they got strudel (is that how it is spelled?), and
Welch's sparkling grape juice. Overall the minifigs (Ice Babe, Nova Hunter-
style Explorien, and Ice Planet kid) had a great time at Wheaton Academy.

BTW, Old Testament is a Bible class, I go to a Christian school.

Until the next Minifig Day, treat your 'figs with respect!

-Tim
<zack...@juno.com>

Joshua Delahunty

Dec 16, 1996, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/16/96

Hey Jeff, drink some coffee with ya? You had a really bad day here. :-)

Nephilim <je...@teubner.com> wrote:
>In <AED76F62...@dialup-164-79.insync.net>, 71061...@compuserve.com (Susan Hoover) writes:
>

>>Jailbreak Joe made an appearance (aha! was JbJ the first named mf?)
>
>I believe that honor belongs to the pirate line, with Captain Redbeard

Yep. I agree with Jeff here. Jailbreak Joe is relatively recent, and
is a provincial name to boot.

>and General Broadsides.

*Governor* Broadside (read: Broad-sigh-duh)

>PS Bringing 120+ minifigs to work ... you're *cool* ... :^)
>
>I'm waiting to here that Sonya brought a crate of figures.

"hear".

:-)

Weren't you keeping a FAQ of the names, Jeff? Perhaps it's time to
repost.

-- joshua

--
-- Joshua Delahunty (dulc...@alumni.cse.ucsc.edu) RTL CMR/IRL's: 6 --

| Kun det bedste er godt nok |

Thomas Stockheim

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/17/96

je...@teubner.com (Nephilim) writes:

>What are Timmy and Dr. Cyber called in Britain or elsewhere in
>Europe?

The same in Germany ... and ,btw, I think the little robot has a name
as well ?

>Majisto had more names than just Majisto and Merlin. What were they?

I think Majisto is called Cerlin in germany, at least sometimes ?

Thomas

JohnKelly

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/17/96

I was in the model shop when Ice Planet rolled out. That summer before
it came out, they passed around a theme summary that named all of the
mini firgures in the theme. Turned out there were names for the other
themes as well. Pity I didn't write it down, or I'd be able to post
it. The one that I do remeber is the red haired woman from Ice Planet
was Major Urusa.

John
http://www.skypoint.com/~jkelly69

Tim Courtney

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/17/96

In article <596cap$l...@frazier.backbone.ou.edu>, je...@teubner.com says...

>In <594ltv$a...@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, dulc...@cse.ucsc.edu (Joshua Delahunty) writes:
>>Hey Jeff, drink some coffee with ya? You had a really bad day here. :-)
>
>Pathetic, wasn't it? Ran out of Dr. Pepper that morning.
>
>>je...@teubner.com wrote:

>>>I believe that honor belongs to the pirate line, with Captain Redbeard
>>
>>Yep. I agree with Jeff here. Jailbreak Joe is relatively recent, and
>>is a provincial name to boot.
>>
>>>and General Broadsides.
>>
>>*Governor* Broadside (read: Broad-sigh-duh)
>
>Duh is right. Forgive my error.

>> Weren't you keeping a FAQ of the names, Jeff? Perhaps it's time to
>> repost.
>
>Hmmm ... apparently I didn't archive the last 'definitive names' list.
>Grrr. I could hit Dejanews, or we could just start a new one.
>
>Getting the obvious ones out of the way:
>
>"Named" minifigures -- the tentative list:
>
>By "named" I'd like to limit it to figures that are named on
>set packaging, rather than cute / promotional names made up
>by the Shop at Home catalog. (Is this agreeable?)
>

>Year US Name Representative Set Alternate Names
>1996 Timmy Time Cruisers Sets ???
>1996 Dr. Cyber "" ???
>1994 Jailbreak Joe 1786 Jailbreak Joe Dangerous Dan / Canada
>1994 Majisto 6048 Majisto's Workshop Merlin / Germany
>1989 Captain Redbeark 6285 Black Seas Barracuda ???
>1989 Governor Broadside 6276 El Dorado Fortress ???
>

>Who is missing from this list? Do any of the Wild West figures
>have names?

>What are Timmy and Dr. Cyber called in Britain or elsewhere in
>Europe?
>
>Did the pirate ur-figures have any names than those listed here?

>Majisto had more names than just Majisto and Merlin. What were they?
>
>--
>
>Jeff Thompson "Floating down the sound resounds around the
>je...@teubner.com icy waters underground." - Astronomy Domine
>
>LEGO SP+++1(6986) CA+++2(6071) PI+++3(6276) MOC++ #++ LS++ S-/++ Hnr YB67M

-----

1996 Nova Hunter Exploriens (from: Mania Magazine) ???
1996 Ann Droid " " " " ???

Me being an Exploriens freak, I should know. You can add those to the
list.

-Tim
<zack...@juno.com>

Paul John Gyugyi

In <591v6t$p...@frazier.backbone.ou.edu>, je...@teubner.com (Nephilim) writes:
>In <AED76F62...@dialup-164-79.insync.net>, 71061...@compuserve.com (Susan Hoover) writes:
>

>>Jailbreak Joe made an appearance (aha! was JbJ the first named mf?)
>
>I believe that honor belongs to the pirate line, with Captain Redbeard

>and General Broadsides.

What about "Bill" and "Mary" from the Idea Book? Were they kids, or
the minifigs?

--
=--=-==--=--=-=-=--==-=-==--=-==-=-=-=-=-=-==--==-=-==--==-=-==-==
Paul Gyugyi pa...@gyugyi.com http://www.gyugyi.com/

Jason Petrasich

Dec 17, 1996, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/17/96

> By "named" I'd like to limit it to figures that are named on
> set packaging, rather than cute / promotional names made up
> by the Shop at Home catalog. (Is this agreeable?)
>
> Year US Name Representative Set Alternate Names
> 1996 Timmy Time Cruisers Sets ???
> 1996 Dr. Cyber "" ???
> 1994 Jailbreak Joe 1786 Jailbreak Joe Dangerous Dan / Canada
> 1994 Majisto 6048 Majisto's Workshop Merlin / Germany
> 1989 Captain Redbeark 6285 Black Seas Barracuda ???
> 1989 Governor Broadside 6276 El Dorado Fortress ???
>

> Who is missing from this list? Do any of the Wild West figures
> have names?
How about Black Monarch's Ghost (6034) and King Kahuka (6236)

Jason
bre...@pacbell.net

Joshua Delahunty

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/18/96

In article <596cap$l...@frazier.backbone.ou.edu>,

Nephilim <je...@teubner.com> wrote:
>In <594ltv$a...@darkstar.ucsc.edu>, dulc...@cse.ucsc.edu (Joshua Delahunty) writes:
>>Hey Jeff, drink some coffee with ya? You had a really bad day here. :-)
>
>Pathetic, wasn't it? Ran out of Dr. Pepper that morning.

I got a mini-fridge at my desk that I keep well stocked with Diet Dr. Pepper
from Costco; so I rarely run into that problem. Perhaps you should
look into it. ;-)

>>je...@teubner.com wrote:

>>>I believe that honor belongs to the pirate line, with Captain Redbeard
>>

>>Yep. I agree with Jeff here. Jailbreak Joe is relatively recent, and
>>is a provincial name to boot.
>>
>>>and General Broadsides.
>>
>>*Governor* Broadside (read: Broad-sigh-duh)
>
>Duh is right. Forgive my error.

The 'duh' was to stress the singular nature of the name. no 's'.
You probably knew that, but if so, you're being too subtle for me.

I believe that he was the Admiral overseas anyway, so you just got
your armed forces confused. :-)

>> Weren't you keeping a FAQ of the names, Jeff? Perhaps it's time to
>> repost.
>
>Hmmm ... apparently I didn't archive the last 'definitive names' list.
>Grrr. I could hit Dejanews, or we could just start a new one.

I hit Dejanews, and found nothing from you on the subject. Too old, I
guess. <shrug>

>Getting the obvious ones out of the way:
>
>"Named" minifigures -- the tentative list:
>

>By "named" I'd like to limit it to figures that are named on
>set packaging, rather than cute / promotional names made up
>by the Shop at Home catalog. (Is this agreeable?)
>

>Year US Name Representative Set Alternate Names
>1996 Timmy Time Cruisers Sets ???
>1996 Dr. Cyber "" ???
>1994 Jailbreak Joe 1786 Jailbreak Joe Dangerous Dan / Canada

I almost feel that the S@H rule should count on specialty sets with
numbers outside the "normal" range. 17xx fits that, I think.

>1994 Majisto 6048 Majisto's Workshop Merlin / Germany
>1989 Captain Redbeark 6285 Black Seas Barracuda ???

That's the name of the parrot, right? :-P

>1989 Governor Broadside 6276 El Dorado Fortress ???

>Who is missing from this list? Do any of the Wild West figures
>have names?

Yep. Quite a few, I believe.

But do I HAVE them on me at the moment? Nope.

Strangely enough, here the packages do name the figures, but S@H is
very generic in its descriptions.

>What are Timmy and Dr. Cyber called in Britain or elsewhere in
>Europe?
>
>Did the pirate ur-figures have any names than those listed here?

The Pirate comic from the UK had quite a few (including the female
buccaneer). Two of those are Bo'sun Will and Spinoza (the young
pirate from the comic -- only to have a standard head, I believe), and
the monkey.

>Majisto had more names than just Majisto and Merlin. What were they?

"That damned wizard figure that keeps showing up in all my sets"

Allen Carley

Nephilim wrote:

> In <32B79B...@pacbell.net>, Jason Petrasich <bre...@pacbell.net> writes:
> >> By "named" I'd like to limit it to figures that are named on
> >> set packaging, rather than cute / promotional names made up
> >> by the Shop at Home catalog. (Is this agreeable?)
> >>
> >> Year US Name Representative Set Alternate Names
> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------> >> 1996 Timmy Time Cruisers Sets ???

> >> 1996 Dr. Cyber "" ???
> >> 1994 Jailbreak Joe 1786 Jailbreak Joe Dangerous Dan / Canada
> >> 1994 Majisto 6048 Majisto's Workshop Merlin / Germany
> >> 1989 Captain Redbeark 6285 Black Seas Barracuda ???
> >> 1989 Governor Broadside 6276 El Dorado Fortress ???
> > Black Monarch's Ghost 6034
> > King Kahuka 6236

Ummmm, not counting the ones they have started naming in the shop at
home catalogues--
In Europe, the forestmen sets were named 'Robins' this and that.
Maybe even 'Robin Hood' this and that, so presumably one of those
figures was robin.
I also seem to remember the royal King being King Author or some
such thing in Europe, but I'd have to check my old catalogues
I too remember names for most of the Ice Planet people, including
something like Commander Bear for the grizzled guy

In Brazil, just to add more, Majisto is called MerliM
and Captain Redbeard is Capitao Roger

Allen...who needs to get back to his catalogues to find more names
but alas is in omaha for 4 more days

Thomas Stockheim

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/18/96

je...@teubner.com (Nephilim) writes:

>>>Majisto had more names than just Majisto and Merlin. What were they?
>>

>>I think Majisto is called Cerlin in germany, at least sometimes ?
>>
>>Thomas

>Set 6020 - Magic Shop - was called Merlin der Zauberer in Germany, so
>I thought that's what Majisto was called.

>Looking at Jeff Crite's Castle list, I don't see any sets whose
>names mention 'Cerlin' -- did that name come from catalogs or
>promotional material? Or does he need to update his list? :^)

Hm, I guess I was wrong ... and I actually only remember seing that
name once in a shop, not in a catalog, so it could have been a mistake.

Thomas

Tim Courtney

Dec 18, 1996, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/18/96

In article <32B752...@popmail.skypoint.com>, JohnKelly says...

>I was in the model shop when Ice Planet rolled out. That summer before
>it came out, they passed around a theme summary that named all of the
>mini firgures in the theme. Turned out there were names for the other
>themes as well. Pity I didn't write it down, or I'd be able to post
>it. The one that I do remeber is the red haired woman from Ice Planet
>was Major Urusa.
>
>John
>http://www.skypoint.com/~jkelly69
>

>Thomas Stockheim wrote:
>>
>> je...@teubner.com (Nephilim) writes:
>>
>> >What are Timmy and Dr. Cyber called in Britain or elsewhere in
>> >Europe?
>>
>> The same in Germany ... and ,btw, I think the little robot has a name
>> as well ?
>>
>> >Majisto had more names than just Majisto and Merlin. What were they?
>>
>> I think Majisto is called Cerlin in germany, at least sometimes ?
>>
>> Thomas

-----

Wacco the Robot --> in GB's catalog. I faxed them and asked them to send
me one

Did you get Nova Hunter and Ann Droid down?

Also, does anyone else have the roster of 'fig names? That would be cool
if I could get some ideas for a future crew profile sheet on the Zacktron
Page :-)

Modifications/Newsletter coming soon to the Zacktron Page!! :-)

-Tim
<zack...@juno.com>

Susan Hoover

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/19/96

In article <599g3i$r...@darkstar.ucsc.edu>,
dulc...@cse.ucsc.edu (Joshua Delahunty) wrote:

>In article <596cap$l...@frazier.backbone.ou.edu>,
>Nephilim <je...@teubner.com> wrote:
>>Hmmm ... apparently I didn't archive the last 'definitive names' list.
>>Grrr. I could hit Dejanews, or we could just start a new one.
>
>I hit Dejanews, and found nothing from you on the subject. Too old, I
>guess. <shrug>

When I hit Dejanews a couple of days ago, there was a notice stating that
their 1995 database was temporarily unavailable. Maybe it's stuck in
there somewhere.

>>By "named" I'd like to limit it to figures that are named on
>>set packaging, rather than cute / promotional names made up
>>by the Shop at Home catalog. (Is this agreeable?)
>>

>>Year US Name Representative Set Alternate Names

>>1996 Timmy Time Cruisers Sets ???
>>1996 Dr. Cyber "" ???
>>1994 Jailbreak Joe 1786 Jailbreak Joe Dangerous Dan / Canada
>

>I almost feel that the S@H rule should count on specialty sets with
>numbers outside the "normal" range. 17xx fits that, I think.

Yes, but Jailbreak Joe is also named in the Metro PD Station set.

Susan Hoover

Dec 19, 1996, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/19/96

In article <PJG.96De...@tranquility.gyugyi.com>,

p...@tranquility.gyugyi.com (Paul John Gyugyi) wrote:

> In <591v6t$p...@frazier.backbone.ou.edu>, je...@teubner.com (Nephilim) writes:
> >In <AED76F62...@dialup-164-79.insync.net>, 71061...@compuserve.com
>(Susan Hoover) writes:
> >

> >>Jailbreak Joe made an appearance (aha! was JbJ the first named mf?)
> >
> >I believe that honor belongs to the pirate line, with Captain Redbeard

> >and General Broadsides.
> >

>What about "Bill" and "Mary" from the Idea Book? Were they kids, or
>the minifigs?

Humph. Bill and Mary, not to mention the idea books and minifigs in
general, came out during my Dark Ages....

J. Anderson

On 18 Dec 1996, Joshua Delahunty among others wrote:

> >> Weren't you keeping a FAQ of the names, Jeff? Perhaps it's time to
> >> repost.
> >

> >Hmmm ... apparently I didn't archive the last 'definitive names' list.
> >Grrr. I could hit Dejanews, or we could just start a new one.
>
> I hit Dejanews, and found nothing from you on the subject. Too old, I
> guess. <shrug>
>

> >Did the pirate ur-figures have any names than those listed here?
>
> The Pirate comic from the UK had quite a few (including the female
> buccaneer). Two of those are Bo'sun Will and Spinoza (the young
> pirate from the comic -- only to have a standard head, I believe), and
> the monkey.

This was a posting I hung onto. Perhaps this will name a few:

From ne...@raft.demon.co.uk Thu Dec 19 14:03:12 1996
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 21:15:32 +0100
From: Neil Harding <ne...@raft.demon.co.uk>
Newsgroups: rec.toys.lego
Subject: Series 904 LEGO Pirates (books)

I've just been given a small hardback book about LEGO pirates. One of
the interesting things about this book is that it names the mini-figs.
Here's what they're called (in the UK):

The captain of the Dark Shark with the wooden leg - Captain Roger
The captain of the Barracuda - Captain Foul
The one with the red floppy hat - Bo'sun Will
The one with the blue floppy hat - Flashfork
The one with the brown hat and blue top - First mate Rummy
The pirate babe - Anne
The monkey - Spinoza
The parrot - Popsy

There's also one called Jimbo, with a red and white floppy hat, a brown
top covering a red and white striped under-garment and blue trousers.
I'm not sure which mini-fig he's supposed to be.

For those who may be interested, the book is a children's story
published by Ladybird Books Ltd, and the series consists of:

1. Will and the Gold Chase
2. Captain Roger's Birthday
3. Adventure on Shark Island
4. The Royal Visit

/Neil

devaney

Tim Courtney (zack...@juno.com) wrote:
: Wacco the Robot --> in GB's catalog. I faxed them and asked them to send
: me one

The Australian catalog calls the Time Cruisers monkey "Ingo."
Pretty cool name.

Wendy Browne

Dec 20, 1996, 3:00:00ā€ÆAM12/20/96

Sone Wild West mini-figureā€˜s names are;

Bad guys- Flatfoot Thompson, Black Bart, Dewey Cheatum.

Calvery Colonel- Cononel Colt Carson

Aquazone guys are- Thresher, Jock
You probally all know Ann Droid, Rob N. Hood

:)
--
Wendy
"Friend of Bill W."