Set number system?

Thomas Andersson

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98
Hi!

Is there a system to how Lego number their kits?
Could you from a number gues the theme, size of set etc or anything
like that?

Best Wishes
Thomas

Richard Dewsbery

Dec 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/11/98

> Is there a system to how Lego number their kits?
Occasionally

> Could you from a number gues the theme, size of set etc or anything
> like that?

Possibly.

Er, could I be any less helpful?

Richard

Grahame Reid

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
Thomas Andersson wrote:

> Hi!

> Is there a system to how Lego number their kits?

> Could you from a number gues the theme, size of set etc or anything
> like that?

In general, yes but there are an increasing number of exceptions. For example
with the 4-digit numbers:

1000 to 1099 Dacta
1100 to 1399 LEGO Service (but there are exceptions)

Other 1xxx-series numbers have been used for US-only sets, special sets, and
promotional sets. For example, the Town set "Jailbreak Joe" from 1995 was only
released in the US and had set number 1786.

2000 to 2099 Duplo Primo
2100 to 2899 Duplo ( but with several 'special' and promotional sets added in)

Other 2xxx-series numbers have been used for US-only sets, special sets, and
promotional sets. For example, the Shell promotional sets released in New
Zealand used the numbers 2535 through 2544.

3100 to 3299 LEGO Scala
3500 to 3599 LEGO Znap
3600 to 3799 Fabuland

Other 3xxx-series numbers have been used for US-only sets, special sets, and
promotional sets. For example, the World Cup soccer sets had the number range
3300 to 3320 allocated to them (although the first number used was actually
3302).

4000 to 4099 Boats
4100 to 4299 Freestyle, and now LEGO Basic
4500 to 4599 Trains (9-volt)
4900 to 4999 Rock Raiders
5000 to 5499 LEGO Service
5500 to 5599 Model Team
5800 to 5899 Belville
5900 to 5999 Adventurers
Set 6000 is an Ideas Book and 6002 is a pack of people.
6004 to 6099 Castle (although next year's Castle/Ninja sets will be 3050 - 3053
and 4805).
6100 to 6199 Aquazone (but there are the US-only AquaRaiders sets with the
numbers 2160 - 2162).
6200 to 6299 Pirates
6300 to 6699 Town
6700 to 6799 originally was used for Space but more recently Western.
6800 to 6999 Space
7100 to ???? Star Wars
7700 to 7899 Trains (12-volt)
8000 to 8999 Technic
9000 to 9999 Dacta

Typically within each range, the smaller the number, the smaller the set. The
bigger the number, the bigger the set (but there are exceptions particularly
when the numbers get near to being all used up).

For example, the Adventurers set 5900 is a small boxed set, while 5988 is the
large "Temple of Anubis".

It is interesting that the range 6400 to 6499 was originally used for Town sets
with 'Light and Sound' capabilities but is now rapidly filling with Town
'Junior', Outback and Space Port sets. Similarly, the Space L and S sets had
numbers in the 67xx range.

For the 3-digit set numbers, these too can be broken down into a number of
ranges but with exceptions. I am not familiar enough with the 3-digit numbers to
be able to say exactly what the breakdown is.

There are also many sets that have different US numbers and European numbers.
For example, 948 = 854 (Technic Go-Kart).

Within the next couple of years, all new sets will carry a 6-digit number.

Grahame Reid

Gary Louie

Dec 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/12/98
Grahame Reid <gar...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> In general, yes but there are an increasing number of exceptions. For
> example
> with the 4-digit numbers:

That was a wonderful list and very informative. Can we get this in the
FAQ, please?

BTW, who is maintaining the current FAQ?

Gary
Gary...@EarthLink.Net

Grahame Reid

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
Gary Louie wrote:

Thanks :-)

Grahame

teyy...@my-dejanews.com

Dec 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/13/98
In article <367166D4...@ihug.co.nz>,
Grahame Reid <gar...@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

<nice info>

> For the 3-digit set numbers, these too can be broken down into a number of
> ranges but with exceptions. I am not familiar enough with the 3-digit numbers
> be able to say exactly what the breakdown is.

I don't think that three-digit set numbers could be categorized eazily. I have
pictures of almost 800 sets from this range, and I should admit that it was
really chaotic. There are even sets sharing the same set number with other 4
sets.

Selçuk

Richard Dee

Dec 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/14/98
>> In general, yes but there are an increasing number of exceptions. For
>> example
>> with the 4-digit numbers:
>
>That was a wonderful list and very informative.

I concur. Also, add the Robo-raiders, sets 2151-2154, US only??

richa...@nospam.virgin.net remove nospam dot
Web Site: http://freespace.virgin.net/richard.dee/lego.html
AOL Instant Messenger: RJD88888 ICQ 13177071
For the best Lego news, visit: http://www.lugnet.com/news/
Need instructions for a model? http://www.kl.net/scans/

Grahame Reid

Dec 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM12/16/98
Richard Dee wrote:

> >> In general, yes but there are an increasing number of exceptions. For
> >> example
> >> with the 4-digit numbers:
> >
> >That was a wonderful list and very informative.
>
> I concur. Also, add the Robo-raiders, sets 2151-2154, US only??

There are many sets that can be added particularly those in the 1000 and
2000-series numbers. The RoboForce sets are an example (2151 - 2154) as is the
red train station 2150.

Grahame Reid