2001 NON-sw lego

10 views
Skip to first unread message

Gareth Bowler

unread,
Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
to
Speaking of 2001, anybody got any whiffs of rumored NON-star wars sets?

Mostly I'm just curious which sub themes will die and which ones will
thrive. I also have to admit I'm curious about the harry potter lego. Not
particularly interested, but curious

Marcia MacIan

unread,
Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
to
In article <GkBk5.12803$gW5.8...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
"Gareth Bowler" <gar...@concentric.net> wrote:

The same deleted Lugnet message with the SW sets had some other sets in
it too.

A completely new theme, which most on Lugnet commented as have never
heard of before, is Moviemaker:
The main set 1349 - $169.99
Lego EQ studio - $79.99
Moving backgound - $59.99
Explosion studio - $29.99
Car stunt studio - $19.99
Adventure scene - $5.99

Two new soccer/football busses, 3406 and 3411.

A new unnamed theme in the 7300 series:
Monojet 7310 - $2.99
T3 trike 7312 - $9.99
Recon mech - $19.99

Looks like a new space exploration theme, maybe a spinoff of Spaceport:
Red planet cruiser - $5.99
Red planet prot... (cut off) - $19.99
Excavation sea... - $49.99
Solar explorer - $29.99
Aero tube hanger - $99.99

And one new non-SW Technic set was mentioned:
Battlecar 8241 - $7.99

That's all I there was mentioned in the original message.

MarMac

Joel dela Cruz

unread,
Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
to
I hope they still keep the Throwbot or Roboriders line, I really like those
lines:)

Marcia MacIan <mar...@loveamac.com> wrote in message
news:marmac-0FB654....@news.supernews.com...

Kevin Johnston

unread,
Aug 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/10/00
to

Marcia MacIan <mar...@loveamac.com> wrote:
> A completely new theme, which most on Lugnet commented as have never
> heard of before, is Moviemaker:
> The main set 1349 - $169.99
> Lego EQ studio - $79.99
> Moving backgound - $59.99
> Explosion studio - $29.99
> Car stunt studio - $19.99
> Adventure scene - $5.99

This is almost certainly the Steven Speilberg tie-in announced (press
release) a couple months back.

*snip* rest-- the Mars-ish stuff sounds intriguing.

Kevin

Allison

unread,
Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
to
Gareth Bowler <gar...@concentric.net> wrote:
: Speaking of 2001, anybody got any whiffs of
: rumored NON-star wars sets?

"The List" mentioned a number of movie studio sets,
and sets from an unnamed new theme that is _not_ Harry
Potter (unless Harry has a "recon mech"...).

the "new theme"(?):

Monojet 7310 $2.99
T3 trike 7312 $9.99
Recon mech 7xxx (the screen cut off) $19.99
Red planet cruiser ???? $5.99
Red planet prot... (cut off) $19.99
Excavation sea... $49.99
Solar explorer $29.99
Aero tube hange... (probably hanger) $99.99

hmmm, what the heck does it all mean???? I like the
"red planet" reference, are these maybe NASA-space
Mars thingies?? That would be cool, I don't at all
share many peoples' dislike of the NASA-type space
sets.

(PS: thx to all who sent me The List :-)

John Grubber

unread,
Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
to
I have a feeling that the mars theme may also be linked to whole mars craze
lately.

Mission to Mars
That Mars rescue movie coming out soon (Red Planet?)
James Camerons' Mars miniseries

john

Marcia MacIan wrote:

> In article <GkBk5.12803$gW5.8...@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,


> "Gareth Bowler" <gar...@concentric.net> wrote:
>
> > Speaking of 2001, anybody got any whiffs of rumored NON-star wars sets?
> >

> > Mostly I'm just curious which sub themes will die and which ones will
> > thrive. I also have to admit I'm curious about the harry potter lego. Not
> > particularly interested, but curious
>
> The same deleted Lugnet message with the SW sets had some other sets in
> it too.
>

> A completely new theme, which most on Lugnet commented as have never
> heard of before, is Moviemaker:
> The main set 1349 - $169.99
> Lego EQ studio - $79.99
> Moving backgound - $59.99
> Explosion studio - $29.99
> Car stunt studio - $19.99
> Adventure scene - $5.99
>

Mark Haddock

unread,
Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
to
I read the Steven Speilberg/Lego press release and that must be what the
first few sets are.. they are for making Lego movies.. The main set would
include the software and camera as well as some lego pieces... the
additional sets give you more pieces and sets to use for the movies.. they
should be interesting to see when they come out.. hope they have some good
parts...

"Kevin Johnston" <kevinj...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:kevinj_sfbay-ya0236...@news.mindspring.com...


>
>
> Marcia MacIan <mar...@loveamac.com> wrote:
> > A completely new theme, which most on Lugnet commented as have never
> > heard of before, is Moviemaker:
> > The main set 1349 - $169.99
> > Lego EQ studio - $79.99
> > Moving backgound - $59.99
> > Explosion studio - $29.99
> > Car stunt studio - $19.99
> > Adventure scene - $5.99
>

Allison

unread,
Aug 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/11/00
to
Mark Haddock <kenw...@earthlink.net> wrote:
: I read the Steven Speilberg/Lego press release and that must be what the

: first few sets are.. they are for making Lego movies.. The main set would
: include the software and camera as well as some lego pieces... the
: additional sets give you more pieces and sets to use for the movies.. they
: should be interesting to see when they come out.. hope they have some good
: parts...

I thought the Moviemaker sets were out already. I
guess I just saw a catalogue scan on the web or
something like that. Maybe it's previewed on TLG's
own website? It looks way cool, for all those budding
Dawson Leary's out there :-)

Speaking of interesting pices, I think the initial set
comes with some buildings, cars, minifigs and, if my
recall is correct, a Tyrannosaurus rex? And a Steven
Spielberg minifig! Where the hex did I see it?

*pulls at hair*

Allison

Groovy G

unread,
Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
to
Allison -

Information about the Moviemaker set can be found on LEGO's
official website at:

www.lego.com/studios

The first (and main) set is scheduled for release later this
year (November?) to be followed by the other auxiliary sets in
2001. I think it's only going to be in the U.S. during 2000.

The Moviemaker set was part of the display at Kidvention at
LEGOLAND, CA this past July. Even this display was just a mock-
up of the final product (for example, the instructions manual
was in a ring-binder and many pages had "insert picture/text
here" markings). They only had an example of the main set not
any of the other smaller sets that will follow.

Yes, there is a Spielberg mini-fig but there is not a complete T-
Rex - just a foot to come crashing down on your movie set.

Now stop pulling that hair! Female baldness as a fashion
statement is not in this season.

G.


-----------------------------------------------------------

Got questions? Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.keen.com


Allison B. MacKay

unread,
Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
to
: Yes, there is a Spielberg mini-fig but there is not a complete T-

: Rex - just a foot to come crashing down on your movie set.

Well, that's a really good introduction to the _reality_ of
movie making: "Sorry, we don't have the budget for a whole
T. rex, just the foot." Very Ed Wood-ian. Actually, that's
a good idea - alternate Director mini-figs! Hey look! The
Ed Wood fig has an angora sweater on!

: Now stop pulling that hair! Female baldness as a fashion


: statement is not in this season.

Actually, despite the name, that'd be _male_ baldness... But
point taken. Too late though, grad school stress is rapidly
giving me Phil-Collins-head...

Allison

Groovy G

unread,
Aug 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/12/00
to
"Allison B. MacKay" <mack...@biology.queensu.ca> wrote:

>Well, that's a really good introduction to the _reality_ of
>movie making: "Sorry, we don't have the budget for a whole
>T. rex, just the foot." Very Ed Wood-ian. Actually, that's
>a good idea - alternate Director mini-figs! Hey look! The
>Ed Wood fig has an angora sweater on!
>

I went back and took another look at the Moviemaker
presesentation on LEGO's website and confirmed what I thought
I'd remembered (but didn't mention earlier) - in addition to the
dino-foot there is a smaller complete T-Rex figure which is
supposed to be a "baby".

I like the idea of other Directors getting in on the act. The
first one that springs to mind for me is Tim Burton. He's done
some great movies that would be awesome if they were LEGOfied.


>
>Actually, despite the name, that'd be _male_ baldness... But
>point taken. Too late though, grad school stress is rapidly
>giving me Phil-Collins-head...
>

Oops. Sorry about the gender presumption. You'd think I'd know
better - after all, everyone always says that anyone you end up
communicating with via the Internet is always going to turn out
to be some other guy. (insert chuckle here)

Back to the Moviemaker stuf...(sorta)

I forgot to mention last time around - I have been using some
video editing software lately from Pinnacle - the same company
that has put together the software for the Moviemaker set. I
have downloaded/edited some LEGO animation videos (originally
shot with a VHS-C camcorder) and posted a few to:

http://members.xoom.com/animatedbrik

One great thing about the Moviemaker set should be that the
video editing software from Pinnacle is really user-friendly and
simple to work with. I think folks will be amazed at how easy
it is to whip up nifty presentations once they've put in the up
front work of taking the pictures/videos.

I expect that in 2001 there's going to be a lot of LEGO "movies"
showing up on websites.

Allison

unread,
Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
to
: Oops. Sorry about the gender presumption. You'd think I'd know

: better - after all, everyone always says that anyone you end up
: communicating with via the Internet is always going to turn out
: to be some other guy. (insert chuckle here)

Ha! True, true. We here at RTL are pretty gender-integrated,
though, aren't we? (insert selves-congratulatory-pat-on-back)

: I expect that in 2001 there's going to be a lot of LEGO "movies"
: showing up on websites.

Can't wait! I hope whoever it is who posts those "Space Marines
vs. Space Mummies" photo-comics on Brickshelf gets into the act.
_Love_ those!

Hey, I just had an idea. A Lego remake of "From the Earth to
the Moon" (the original silent film - familiar to those who saw
the last episode of the like-titled TV miniseries, or that
Smashing Pumpkins video). *wishes he had a bigger brick budget*

Allison

Mark Haddock

unread,
Aug 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM8/13/00
to
Instead of claymation nows its plasticmation? I just want the parts..
hehe..

"Allison" <Imreadyfo...@mr.demille.ca> wrote in message
news:8n4vhf$rlp$1...@knot.queensu.ca...

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages