Why ... ?

The Nephilim

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/11/95
Ever wonder why LEGO goes to the trouble of putting the heads on
the minifigures in the packaging process, but not the legs?

It seems silly to design a machine to perform this construction, when
the first thing you have to do is take the head off to add the backpacks
/ air tanks / whatever anyway. But it would be just as easy to add
the legs in the process.

--

je...@teubner.com "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily."

Jeffrey T. Crites

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/11/95
jef...@jeff.teubner.com (The Nephilim) writes:

>Ever wonder why LEGO goes to the trouble of putting the heads on
>the minifigures in the packaging process, but not the legs?
>It seems silly to design a machine to perform this construction, when
>the first thing you have to do is take the head off to add the backpacks
>/ air tanks / whatever anyway. But it would be just as easy to add
>the legs in the process.

It would make sense if there was a study done and this study
revealed that kids like to buy mini-figures with their heads intact...
Take care,

Jeff
cri...@cc.purdue.edu

FireDog

Jul 11, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/11/95
In article <3tu576$2j...@bubba.ucc.okstate.edu>, jef...@jeff.teubner.com
(The Nephilim) wrote:

> Ever wonder why LEGO goes to the trouble of putting the heads on
> the minifigures in the packaging process, but not the legs?
>
> It seems silly to design a machine to perform this construction, when
> the first thing you have to do is take the head off to add the backpacks
> / air tanks / whatever anyway. But it would be just as easy to add
> the legs in the process.
>

> --
>
> je...@teubner.com "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily."

I agree this bugs me too..the heads are harder to put on, you'd think they
would stick the legs on and let us put the heads together...I hate pulling
the heads off.

--
_ _
(_`,_' )
| `, Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.
\,_ `-/ Winnie the Pooh
swm^^^^
fir...@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us

The Nephilim

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/12/95
In <3tutjl$k...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>, cri...@staff.cc.purdue.edu (Jeffrey T. Crites) writes:
>jef...@jeff.teubner.com (The Nephilim) writes:
>>Ever wonder why LEGO goes to the trouble of putting the heads on
>>the minifigures in the packaging process, but not the legs?
>>It seems silly to design a machine to perform this construction, when
>>the first thing you have to do is take the head off to add the backpacks
>>/ air tanks / whatever anyway. But it would be just as easy to add
>>the legs in the process.
>
> It would make sense if there was a study done and this study
>revealed that kids like to buy mini-figures with their heads intact...
>Take care,
>
>Jeff
>cri...@cc.purdue.edu

I figure that it's something like that ... or some LEGO engineer was
just bothered by the idea of tiny decapitated LEGO torsos and loose
heads greeting a kid who opens the box.

je...@teubner.com "Floating down the sound resounds around the
icy waters underground." - Astronomy Domine

Scott Schuricht

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/12/95
In article <3tutjl$k...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>,

cri...@staff.cc.purdue.edu (Jeffrey T. Crites) wrote:
>jef...@jeff.teubner.com (The Nephilim) writes:
>>Ever wonder why LEGO goes to the trouble of putting the heads on
>>the minifigures in the packaging process, but not the legs?
>>It seems silly to design a machine to perform this construction, when
>>the first thing you have to do is take the head off to add the backpacks
>>/ air tanks / whatever anyway. But it would be just as easy to add
>>the legs in the process.

maybe the machine that paints the front of the MF torso also paint the face
on the head ? Don't know any MF with a design on the back. Just a thought.

Scott.

FireDog

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/12/95
In article <3u110a$1...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>, schu...@widget.ecn.purdue.edu
(Scott Schuricht) wrote:

seems like there are too many different heads for this to be true...would
be plausable if every wolfback figure had the same head, but some have
eyepatch, some have beard, etc.

reg

Karim Nassar

Jul 12, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/12/95
On Wed, 12 Jul 1995, FireDog wrote:

> > maybe the machine that paints the front of the MF torso also paint the face
> > on the head ? Don't know any MF with a design on the back. Just a thought.
> >

> seems like there are too many different heads for this to be true...would
> be plausable if every wolfback figure had the same head, but some have
> eyepatch, some have beard, etc.

Remember that the black swatch of paint on the front of the neck-peg is so
the machine can tell which is the front of the torso to paint it. If the
head was on, this would be pointless.

I have another question related to this topic:

WHY... do the elements in a set come bagged the way they are? I mean,
whose insane version of logic is consulted when packing the various
pieces into the various baggies?

After the ravings of people here (thankyouthankyouthankyou), I ordered BKC
from S@H. Got it today and built it-- great set! My only complaint is
the totally illogical distribution of elements! There was one bag that
had mostly 1x2s in black and grey. The instructions called for two 1x3s.
Naturally, the place to look would be in that bag right? Nope, the 1x3s
(I think there are 10 or so in the set) were in the bag that contained 4
tower turrets, 2 decorated castle wall sections and 2 black hinge-canopy
plates, and various arches (the 1x3 arches were in the 1x2 bag). Also,
one bag contains an assortment of black and grey plates 1x4 and smaller.
Well, instructions call for a grey 2x2-sized 3-dot L-shaped corner plate.
The black ones were in that bag-- but the grey one was in the bag of
minifig accessories and such.

What is the reasoning here???

--Karim

Karim Nassar The Phoenix Designer, Author, Craftsman, Programmer
-------------------------------- Hopeless Romantic, Polyglot, Possessor
k...@cnidr.org of Useless Knowledge and Seeker of Same
http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/k/knassar/pnest/nest.html

Willie Abrams

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/13/95
In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950712191133.1010C-100000@ivy>, Karim Nassar
<k...@cnidr.org> wrote:

>After the ravings of people here (thankyouthankyouthankyou), I ordered BKC
>from S@H. Got it today and built it-- great set! My only complaint is
>the totally illogical distribution of elements! There was one bag that
>had mostly 1x2s in black and grey. The instructions called for two 1x3s.
>Naturally, the place to look would be in that bag right? Nope, the 1x3s
>(I think there are 10 or so in the set) were in the bag that contained 4
>tower turrets, 2 decorated castle wall sections and 2 black hinge-canopy
>plates, and various arches (the 1x3 arches were in the 1x2 bag). Also,
>one bag contains an assortment of black and grey plates 1x4 and smaller.
>Well, instructions call for a grey 2x2-sized 3-dot L-shaped corner plate.
>The black ones were in that bag-- but the grey one was in the bag of
>minifig accessories and such.
>
>What is the reasoning here???

Actually, I have found that the organization of Lego straight out of the
bags to be extremely useful. You are right in that similar pieces are not
always stored together, but it is that contrast between big and little,
colors that help me find the right piece quickly.

In addition, as the model progresses, I find that each pile decreases in
size evenly - allowing me to have the gestalt of the piles by about 1/4 of
the way through the model, and my building accelerates from there. Piles
ordered by similar piece sizes might not provide such a progression.

Sometimes the piece ordering does defy logic, but sometimes I wonder if
Lego has some wonderful piece organization algotrithm that distributes the
pieces into bags based on their contrast of color and size, and order of
placement on the primary model. Maybe I am think too hard about this...
:-)

W.
--
Willie Abrams, willie...@uokhsc.edu, http://chinook.uokhsc.edu/willie/

"Eats Nintendo for lunch, then throws up" - Sony Playstation sign at E3

Eileen Keeney

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/13/95
Karim Nassar (k...@cnidr.org) wrote:

: I have another question related to this topic:

: WHY... do the elements in a set come bagged the way they are? I mean,
: whose insane version of logic is consulted when packing the various
: pieces into the various baggies?

I have thought about this, and think that just maybe they have a given bag of
various pieces that goes into more then one different set.
I haven't studied this (I'm to anxious to just dump out all my
pieces and build stuff to even write down what pieces came from what
bag).

|Eileen F. Keeney |email: eil...@hpcvnefk.cv.hp.com
|Hewlett Packard, Corvallis, ICBD |phone: (503) 715-3140

Doug Finney

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/13/95
In <Firedog-1207...@annex013.ridgecrest.ca.us> Fir...@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us writes:
> In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950712191133.1010C-100000@ivy>, Karim Nassar
> <k...@cnidr.org> wrote:

> > WHY... do the elements in a set come bagged the way they are? I mean,
> > whose insane version of logic is consulted when packing the various
> > pieces into the various baggies?
>

> I asked this very same question to the really nice people at Shop at
> home...the pieces are baggied depending on how many sets the bits can be
> used in...if you were to buy a WHOLE bunch of sets, many would have
> identical baggies in them...pretty cool as far as i am concerned.

I've always been a bit suspicious of this answer. From what I can remember
_all_ of a given piece (same shape _and_ color) are always in the same bag.
So for two sets to share a bag that contained, for example, 8 grey 1x6 plates,
2 black 2x2 bricks and 4 grey 2x2 "L" bricks, each set would have to have
exactly this number of these pieces.

I also wonder how they decide which pieces to display in the clear trays
found in sets with flip up lids. There always seem to be a few totally
mundane bits in there while some real treats are buried in the bags below.

Doug

The Nephilim

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/13/95
In <3u3d0u$c...@hpscit.sc.hp.com>, eil...@cv.hp.com (Eileen Keeney) writes:
>Karim Nassar (k...@cnidr.org) wrote:
>
>: I have another question related to this topic:
>
>: WHY... do the elements in a set come bagged the way they are? I mean,
>: whose insane version of logic is consulted when packing the various
>: pieces into the various baggies?
>
>I have thought about this, and think that just maybe they have a given bag of
>various pieces that goes into more then one different set.
>I haven't studied this (I'm to anxious to just dump out all my
>pieces and build stuff to even write down what pieces came from what
>bag).

I know that some r.t.l.ers (specifically Joshua D) record which elements
came in which bag for all their sets, and could give us a thumbs up
or thumbs down on this theory.

I have my doubts - it seems like each set is sufficiently different
as to preclude this sort of packaging. But if it IS true, it
brings to mind a strange thought - do the LEGO designers try to
build sets using 'bags of available pieces'? I'd always pictured
it the other way around - the design the models to their whims,
using whatever pieces they want, and then the production people
figure out how to bag the stuff and ship it out.

or...@skydivskylit.dseg.ti.com

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/13/95

In article <3u3dp4$r...@masala.cc.uh.edu>, DFI...@Jetson.uh.edu (Doug Finney) writes:

|>In <Firedog-1207...@annex013.ridgecrest.ca.us> Fir...@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us writes:

|>> I asked this very same question to the really nice people at Shop at
|>> home...the pieces are baggied depending on how many sets the bits can be
|>> used in...if you were to buy a WHOLE bunch of sets, many would have
|>> identical baggies in them...pretty cool as far as i am concerned.
|>
|>I've always been a bit suspicious of this answer. From what I can remember
|>_all_ of a given piece (same shape _and_ color) are always in the same bag.
|>So for two sets to share a bag that contained, for example, 8 grey 1x6 plates,
|>2 black 2x2 bricks and 4 grey 2x2 "L" bricks, each set would have to have
|>exactly this number of these pieces.

Maybe that's why some set will have a few small pieces left over??? And we
thought they just packed too many.

Regards, Bonnie
Mama to Bobby 9/5/91 and Aunt Bonnie to Hayden 3/7/95
Email: or...@lobby.ti.com

Javier Ramos

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/13/95
The kind of pieces packaged in each bag probably is related, to
some agroupment of distributors (I try to write English!). If
the bag travels through a line of feeders, it will get pieces,
from those feeders. Maybe the size or the scarcity or shape
of one piece will make necessary a different feeder, so you
will have different lines, with the pieces ending in different
bags. Big pieces from line of feeders for big pieces in big bags,
another line of feeders will give another bag. The order can be
changed as the feeders are filled with different pieces. Each one
"knows" how many pieces must be let drop in each bag.

It sounds logic for a robotized factory.

About the heads already on the torsos, it will be logic if
the smile and the torso painting are made at the same time.
Remember torsos are only paint in one side (the one of the
smile).
-Javier

FireDog

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/13/95
<k...@cnidr.org> wrote:

> WHY... do the elements in a set come bagged the way they are? I mean,
> whose insane version of logic is consulted when packing the various
> pieces into the various baggies?
>

> After the ravings of people here (thankyouthankyouthankyou), I ordered BKC
> from S@H. Got it today and built it-- great set! My only complaint is
> the totally illogical distribution of elements! There was one bag that
> had mostly 1x2s in black and grey. The instructions called for two 1x3s.
> Naturally, the place to look would be in that bag right? Nope, the 1x3s
> (I think there are 10 or so in the set) were in the bag that contained 4
> tower turrets, 2 decorated castle wall sections and 2 black hinge-canopy
> plates, and various arches (the 1x3 arches were in the 1x2 bag). Also,
> one bag contains an assortment of black and grey plates 1x4 and smaller.
> Well, instructions call for a grey 2x2-sized 3-dot L-shaped corner plate.
> The black ones were in that bag-- but the grey one was in the bag of
> minifig accessories and such.
>
> What is the reasoning here???

I asked this very same question to the really nice people at Shop at
home...the pieces are baggied depending on how many sets the bits can be
used in...if you were to buy a WHOLE bunch of sets, many would have
identical baggies in them...pretty cool as far as i am concerned.

Reg

Lee Groves

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/13/95
From article <3u3dp4$r...@masala.cc.uh.edu>, by DFI...@Jetson.uh.edu (Doug Finney):

> In <Firedog-1207...@annex013.ridgecrest.ca.us> Fir...@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us writes:
>> In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.950712191133.1010C-100000@ivy>, Karim Nassar
>> <k...@cnidr.org> wrote:
>
>> > WHY... do the elements in a set come bagged the way they are? I mean,
>> > whose insane version of logic is consulted when packing the various
>> > pieces into the various baggies?

One word. Weight. The pieces are arranged such that an incorrect
bag arrangement causes the set to be over/under a prescribed weight.
Even a duplicate of one bag with a different one missing can be
caught. Same thing for the contents of individual bags. An
extra of one piece in place of a missing one is detectable.

Yes, they can detect the difference between a 1x2 and two 1x1s.
How they do it I can't tell you... :)

Lee

(my source is a very good article from long ago when someone
toured the plant.)

The Nephilim

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/13/95
In <3u3eks$2g...@bubba.ucc.okstate.edu>, jef...@jeff.teubner.com (that's me!) wrotes:

>I know that some r.t.l.ers (specifically Joshua D) record which elements
>came in which bag for all their sets, and could give us a thumbs up
>or thumbs down on this theory.

Oops. Just because he keeps track of which pieces came on the display tray
doesn't mean he tracks the bag contents. So please don't flood him with
requests about piece lists! My mistake.

>I have my doubts - it seems like each set is sufficiently different
>as to preclude this sort of packaging. But if it IS true, it
>brings to mind a strange thought - do the LEGO designers try to
>build sets using 'bags of available pieces'? I'd always pictured
>it the other way around - the design the models to their whims,
>using whatever pieces they want, and then the production people
>figure out how to bag the stuff and ship it out.

Surely SOMEBODY does track this, and can give us a yes or no.
The more that gets posted about this, the more unlikely it seems.

Karim Nassar

Jul 13, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/13/95
On 13 Jul 1995, Lee Groves wrote:

> One word. Weight. The pieces are arranged such that an incorrect
> bag arrangement causes the set to be over/under a prescribed weight.
> Even a duplicate of one bag with a different one missing can be
> caught. Same thing for the contents of individual bags. An
> extra of one piece in place of a missing one is detectable.

Fine, but why those particular arrangements? The bags certainly don't
weigh the same (even the ones that are the same size), so whatever weight
standard they use to check the bags against is arbitrary anyway. Why not
a different arrangement and a different weight standard?

> Yes, they can detect the difference between a 1x2 and two 1x1s.
> How they do it I can't tell you... :)

Put two 1x1s together next to a 1x2 and look at the bottom-- the
1x1stogether are made of more plastic. A scale that is accurate to say
1/10,000th of a gram should easily detect the difference.

--Stil-Confused-By-The-Lego-Packaging-Logic

Paul John Gyugyi

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/14/95
: <k...@cnidr.org> wrote:

: >After the ravings of people here (thankyouthankyouthankyou), I ordered BKC

: >from S@H. Got it today and built it-- great set! My only complaint is
: >the totally illogical distribution of elements! There was one bag that

: >What is the reasoning here???

There is a simple explanation, once you understand how the assembly
lines work. At the end of the assembly line, a bag of parts is
weighed to determine if all the pieces are in it. This has two
ramifications:

1) a bag with only large pieces can be weighed on an inexpensive scale,
since it is easier to detect large pieces missing. Hence, most bags will
be full of large pieces, with the small pieces concentrated into a
single small bag that is weighed on an expensive scale.

2) bags will tend to have different weight elements in them, so that if
the bag is weighed and comes up short, the assembly line can determine
which piece is missing and dump an extra in the box. This is only
practical for the larger/heavier pieces, and I suspect that different shaped
pieces that weigh nearly the same are placed in different bags.

-gyug
--
=--=-==-==--=-=-=--==-=-==--=-==-=-=-=-=-=-==--==-=-==--==-=-==-==
Paul Gyugyi pa...@gyugyi.com http://www.rahul.net/gyugyi/

Karim Nassar

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/14/95

In the account of a tour of the Enfield plant (posted on
http://legowww.homepages.com) Jess Kvatek says that the black swatches of
paint on the neck of the torso are so that the machine can tell which
side is the front for painting and attachment of arms. If the head is
attached before the torso is painted, the the neck-paint is pointless.
However, if the machine that paints the headthen immediately places the
head on the already painted torso, then there would be no problem of
getting the head & torso aligned because the painting machine already
knows which is the front of the head, and the neck-paint tells it which
is the front of the torso.

--Karim

Karim Nassar The Phoenix Designer, Author, Craftsman, Programmer
-------------------------------- Hopeless Romantic, Polyglot, Possessor

k...@sunsite.unc.edu of Useless Knowledge and Seeker of Same
http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/k/knassar/pnest/nest.html

The Nephilim

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/14/95
In <3u6168$m...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>, we...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Brenden M. West) writes:

>Karim Nassar (k...@cnidr.org) wrote:
>
>: WHY... do the elements in a set come bagged the way they are? I mean,
>: whose insane version of logic is consulted when packing the various
>: pieces into the various baggies?
>: What is the reasoning here???
>
>In all the new sets that I've built, I've had every one of the little
>bags openned by about step two of the directions. Maybe they just like
>to force people to rake through all the pieces?

Here's how I deal with that problem, honed by years of practice.
This method is generally used if the model has 100 or more pieces.

1. open set.
2. look through instructions, to enjoy
3. tear open all bags and pour the contents on the floor.

There, problem solved. No more fretting about bag contents. <g>

Proceding thusly,

4. look through all pieces, marvelling at the new or nifty ones.
5. build things from the pieces
6. Eventually, I get around to building the featured model.

I meant to post this humorously (the <grin> point being step 3 -
why bother keeping the pieces in the bags? Just dump 'em out and
enjoy 'em.), but now that I've written it out it seems worthwhile
to expand on something it implies.

If it's a set I've been craving for awhile and the urge to build it
is simply too strong, I skip steps 2,4, and 5, but afterwards I
feel shortchanged. Once the model gets built, it may be a long time
before it gets disassembled, and at that point the pieces usually
get integrated into the lego collection, which generally precludes
the fun of trying to build the alternate model, or the fun of just
building random interesting things from a limited supply of pieces.
When you do that, you're back to where you were with your first
set. It's just you and a couple hundred pieces and your imagination.
I think that's a lot of fun, and something I miss when the set
goes directly from ox to 'model' to lego bin.

--

je...@teubner.com "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun."

Janice Tomer

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/14/95
In article <3u6535$28...@bubba.ucc.okstate.edu>, jef...@jeff.teubner.com

OOOOHHHHH! I just "discovered" my problem -- I can't stand to dissemble
the featured models (they're so great and present ever new ideas for
building) and so must keep buying ever more sets (or duplicates or parts)
in order to build with "parts"!!!

Back to my auction bidding......

* Janice Tomer |Oracle on SGI...... *
* jto...@corp.sgi.com |Going where no company has gone! *
* Silicon Graphics, Inc. |Next Generation System--October, 1995 *

Scott E. Bjerke

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/14/95
Karim Nassar <k...@cnidr.org> writes:

>On 13 Jul 1995, Lee Groves wrote:

>Put two 1x1s together next to a 1x2 and look at the bottom-- the
>1x1stogether are made of more plastic. A scale that is accurate to say
>1/10,000th of a gram should easily detect the difference.

Balances accurate to 0.0001 gram are sensitive enough
to detect air currents due to people walking by them.

Having several tens of grams land on such balances as I have
seen with that accuracy would damage them.

scott,
also unsure how Lego packages their toys so well.

> --Stil-Confused-By-The-Lego-Packaging-Logic
> --Karim

> Karim Nassar The Phoenix Designer, Author, Craftsman, Programmer
>-------------------------------- Hopeless Romantic, Polyglot, Possessor

> k...@cnidr.org of Useless Knowledge and Seeker of Same
> http://www4.ncsu.edu/unity/users/k/knassar/pnest/nest.html

Denny Lynn

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/14/95
(Scott Schuricht) writes:

>maybe the machine that paints the front of the MF torso also paint
>the face
>on the head ? Don't know any MF with a design on the back. Just a
>thought.

The keychains are printed on the back w/ lego logo. I assume this is so
you can't make your own.
denny

Javier Ramos

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/14/95
I have not found that one.

I think the process will be the following:
-First the arms go into the torso. This operation may scratch
the fresh enamel so it has to go first.
-Then the paint point goes on the neck, for both stacking
more firmly the head and give a clue of the arms position.
-Another robot catches the torso and puts a head.
-The head and the torso are enameled, times depending on
the number of colors.

I will be difficult to put a round decorated head with
the face in the right position. Doing it that way is
more efficient you have only to deal with a "block" to
be decorated. I am trying to remember if I have at any
time gotten some decorated very special elements already
sticked together before.

The keychains must need a complete different robot for
glueing and so on. Maybe it puts also the LL (Legologo).

-Javier

Brenden M. West

Jul 14, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/14/95
Karim Nassar (k...@cnidr.org) wrote:

: WHY... do the elements in a set come bagged the way they are? I mean,
: whose insane version of logic is consulted when packing the various
: pieces into the various baggies?
: What is the reasoning here???

In all the new sets that I've built, I've had every one of the little
bags openned by about step two of the directions. Maybe they just like
to force people to rake through all the pieces?

--
Brenden West "There is no distinctly American criminal
we...@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu class except Congress." -Samuel Clemens

"See me for what I am, not as you wish to use me." -Michael W. Fox

James R Owens

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/15/95

Geez. I skip steps 2,4 and 5 all the time. Just tear those darn
bags apart, dump the pieces (if it is large I dump them all in the
large box) and get to it. Of course, building on the floor is an
absolute must. No matter how much it hurts your neck and back.

My problem right now is I am getting ready to move in a few weeks.
I've recently built the RK Castle, Drawbridge, and about 4 others
sets. And then a few days later I take them apart to pack away.
It is so depressing. Only thing that keeps me going is knowing I
now get to rebuild them...or can build something new if I didn't
like the design (like actually building the drawbridge into the castle).

Jim
jow...@cadman.cit.buffalo.edu

Peter Murray

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/15/95
In article <3tu576$2j...@bubba.ucc.okstate.edu>,
jef...@jeff.teubner.com (The Nephilim) wrote:

>Ever wonder why LEGO goes to the trouble of putting the heads on
>the minifigures in the packaging process, but not the legs?

Ever wonder why the hands on the minifigs are almost always the wrong
way up compared to the instructions?

Todd Lehman

Jul 15, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/15/95
Peter Murray <pe...@table76.demon.co.uk> writes:
> Ever wonder why the hands on the minifigs are almost always the wrong
> way up compared to the instructions?

I've stopped wondering why...it's too frustrating after all these years.
It just irks me that the hands are ALWAYS upside-down when you break open
the plastic bags.

--Todd

Javier Ramos

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/16/95
BTW The ghost cames with unasembled head and torso. There
is not decoration in any of the parts.
-Javier

Paul John Gyugyi

Jul 16, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/16/95
Todd Lehman (leh...@winternet.com) wrote:

Ever felt like "Turning of the Hands" should be a formal minifig
coming-of-age ritual, similar to birthdays and such?

FireDog

Jul 17, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/17/95
In article <DBsq...@tranquility.gyugyi.com>, p...@tranquility.gyugyi.com
(Paul John Gyugyi) wrote:

> Todd Lehman (leh...@winternet.com) wrote:
> : Peter Murray <pe...@table76.demon.co.uk> writes:
> : > Ever wonder why the hands on the minifigs are almost always the wrong
> : > way up compared to the instructions?
>
> : I've stopped wondering why...it's too frustrating after all these years.
> : It just irks me that the hands are ALWAYS upside-down when you break open
> : the plastic bags.
>
> Ever felt like "Turning of the Hands" should be a formal minifig
> coming-of-age ritual, similar to birthdays and such?

Only time I ever noticed the hands were wrong was when I tried to put the
parrot on the Pirate Captains hand...and that was when I was building my
SECOND pirate ship!!! :) (I dont pay attention I guess...I'll go stand in
the corner now :)

reg

Peter Murray

Jul 21, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/21/95
In article <3u97cd$o...@blackice.winternet.com>,
leh...@winternet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

>> Ever wonder why the hands on the minifigs are almost always the wrong
>> way up compared to the instructions?
>
>I've stopped wondering why...it's too frustrating after all these years.
>It just irks me that the hands are ALWAYS upside-down when you break open
>the plastic bags.

I think I've actually found one figure with the hands the right way up!
Might've been in the Space Shuttle launch set - one of my recent ones,
anyway.

Carsten Gnoerlich

Jul 22, 1995, 3:00:00โ€ฏAM7/22/95
leh...@winternet.com (Todd Lehman) wrote:

>Peter Murray <pe...@table76.demon.co.uk> writes:
>> Ever wonder why the hands on the minifigs are almost always the wrong
>> way up compared to the instructions?

>I've stopped wondering why...it's too frustrating after all these years.
>It just irks me that the hands are ALWAYS upside-down when you break open
>the plastic bags.

The minifigs just want to make sure that you shake hands with
them after unpacking ;-) ;-)

:--:
.+--+. Carsten Gnoerlich
| o o |